Story Poster
Photo by Cal Football
Cal Football

Bears Add Key Piece With Stanford OL Grad Transfer Barrett Miller

June 25, 2023
18,390

The Bears offensive line got some welcome good news with the signing of veteran Stanford offensive guard Barrett Miller as a grad transfer today.

The 6-5/310 senior started 35 games for the Cardinal at both left and right guard, including eight starts as a true freshman in 2019. Miller also earned All-Academic honors for three seasons as well.

As a 4 star prep at Eaglecrest High School near Aurora in Arapahoe County, Miller was rated at the top athlete in Colorado in 2019 and the #37 OT nationally as a senior, earning All-State honors before signing with Stanford. He also had offers from Cal, Michigan, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Utah and more.

Miller becomes what is likely the final addition to Cal’s particularly strong 2023 portal recruiting class this year.

 

Discussion from...

Bears Add Key Piece With Stanford OL Grad Transfer Barrett Miller

16,130 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Cal Strong!
graguna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
great pick up. worth the wait
91Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to THE family, Barrett and family! Love to see you come this side of the bay to wrap up your collegiate career. Looking forward to seeing you with your hands on the Axe in a few short months! Go Bears!
BearoutEast67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearoutEast67 said:

Yes!


HALLELUJAH!

We're saved!
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Barrett, welcome to you and your family to Cal football. Wishing you the best of success on and off the field.Go Bears!
hbear777
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HUGE VAL in STrater w/ achiedeved starting exp, and resets the depth pile!!!

Awesome FB STAFF- we all new it would have the foundation on OFF once Wilcox fired the other OC's...Is Wlcox kicking himself of what might have been like the followers have been for yrs???
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is great but we still need tackles.
tpop88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
heartofthebear said:

This is great but we still need tackles.
Shaw did say Miller's best position was Guard.

That being said, Miller started at Right Tackle for the UW, Oregon, CAL, and BYU games. He also played some Left Tackle in the UW game when Rouse went out for a quarter or so. (The Stanford box scores list him as playing OG, but the tape shows he played mostly RT in the aforementioned games.)

IMO, this is what makes him such a key addition. He has P5 starting experience all along the line.
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
Beggars cant be choosers
Go Bears!
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd
. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?

He's like Mike Montgomery: He did Stanfurd, then decided he wanted to be at Cal! I love that. It's called growing as a person. It's also called "Pulling the Ol' Reverse Brennan Scarlett".

When I was 18, I started at Cal, but I had no idea about the good vs. evil thing. I didn't know any better. Neither did Barrett Miller... but he does now!
BearHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
BE AT CAL
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd
. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?

He's like Mike Montgomery: He did Stanfurd, then decided he wanted to be at Cal! I love that. It's called growing as a person. It's also called "Pulling the Ol' Reverse Brennan Scarlett".

When I was 18, I started at Cal, but I had no idea about the good vs. evil thing. I didn't know any better. Neither did Barrett Miller... but he does now!
This is the reason I finally put Calstrong on ignore. He is the only one I put on ignore. Yet I still get the "benefit" of reading his posts periodically when someone else quotes him. And it usually reminds me why I put him on ignore. He's an absolutist of the first order and leaves no room for nuance, dynamics or change over time. I find it very childish (about age 2).
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
heartofthebear said:

Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd
. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?

He's like Mike Montgomery: He did Stanfurd, then decided he wanted to be at Cal! I love that. It's called growing as a person. It's also called "Pulling the Ol' Reverse Brennan Scarlett".

When I was 18, I started at Cal, but I had no idea about the good vs. evil thing. I didn't know any better. Neither did Barrett Miller... but he does now!
This is the reason I finally put Calstrong on ignore. He is the only one I put on ignore. Yet I still get the "benefit" of reading his posts periodically when someone else quotes him. And it usually reminds me why I put him on ignore. He's an absolutist of the first order and leaves no room for nuance, dynamics or change over time. I find it very childish (about age 2).
Ditto.
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
heartofthebear said:

Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd
. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?

He's like Mike Montgomery: He did Stanfurd, then decided he wanted to be at Cal! I love that. It's called growing as a person. It's also called "Pulling the Ol' Reverse Brennan Scarlett".

When I was 18, I started at Cal, but I had no idea about the good vs. evil thing. I didn't know any better. Neither did Barrett Miller... but he does now!
This is the reason I finally put Calstrong on ignore. He is the only one I put on ignore. Yet I still get the "benefit" of reading his posts periodically when someone else quotes him. And it usually reminds me why I put him on ignore. He's an absolutist of the first order and leaves no room for nuance, dynamics or change over time. I find it very childish (about age 2).
Cal Strong see lots of nuance in areas in which nuance is required. For example, Cal Strong the one who say Wilcox "strongly mediocre." How that not nuanced?

But if you a true Cal alumnus and Cal fan, you see no nuance when it comes to stanfurd. They wrong, we right. They weak, we strong. Strong period. Strong end of sentence.

All this heart-of-the-bear style nuance is the reason we haven't won a Rose Bowl since 1938. So much nuance on the way to losing games year after year. Lots of nuance to extending losing coaches. So much nuance in why we can't recruit elite HS athletes from the Bay Area. "Well, we need to give this loser more time because you really need to see this side of the blah weak blah weak blah."

Football results not nuanced. There a clear score at the end of every single football game that determines who strong and who weak. It not hard to understand who doing a strong job and who doing a weak job.

In a 12 team conference, half the coaches will have winning conference records each year. The other half won't. Those who strong will have winning records. Those who weak won't. This not nuanced. This not complicated. This strong and simple.

Things pretty simple when it comes to stanfurd. stanfurd not nuanced. They evil. What Brendan Scarlett did was weak and wrong. Why would we do the same thing with Barrett?
RedlessWardrobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
Because we need good offensive linemen. Really bad.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RedlessWardrobe said:

Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
Because we need good offensive linemen. Really bad.
Happy to get Barrett. Happy to have Mad Dog. Happy when we start winning again.
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
Perhaps the single worst post I've ever seen - including the OT, which is really saying something.
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Cal!

This is really really good news for the OL.

Better case scenario this gives us the depth to push the aTm kid to OT, and he kills it there. That means Rhome or Sessions becomes depth.

Lesser case scenario we have 4 legit OGs to fend off the inevitable injuries.
Eastern Oregon Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
If you don't like Cal picking up a quality lineman, the door is over there. ------------>
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those who seem to think taking on furdies is a strong thing, Cal Strong has a few serious questions:

1. Do you wear red? Or do you still think the color is deplorable?

2. On an a scale of residential institutions from 1-10, 1 being Abu Ghraib and 10 being Cal, where would you rank stanfurd?

3. If stanfurd plays against Texas, who do you root for?
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp said:

Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
Perhaps the single worst post I've ever seen - including the OT, which is really saying something.
Your name is Tequila4Kapp. How do you think Joe Kapp would feel about us embracing furds?
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

tequila4kapp said:

Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
Perhaps the single worst post I've ever seen - including the OT, which is really saying something.
Your name is Tequila4Kapp. How do you think Joe Kapp would feel about us embracing furds?
Well, on the other hand, tomatoes are usually red.
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Nuanced" thinkers seem to believe that traditional stanfurd-haters like Cal Strong are playing checkers, but with with all their brilliant nuance they are playing 3-D chess.

Cal Strong has a different view. Those nuanced folks are certainly playing chess. No questions there. But those of us who hate stanfurd are more interested in playing college football.

College football not chess. It college football. Strong. Simple. Also, strong.
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

tequila4kapp said:

Cal Strong! said:

This is the worst thing to happen to Cal football since the Wilcox extension.

This individual selected stanfurd. To the best of Cal Strong's knowledge, he had a free choice and was not under any compulsion to attend to that institution. But he chose immorality, weakness, and illiteracy over truth, justice and strength. Why would we want such a person on our team?
Perhaps the single worst post I've ever seen - including the OT, which is really saying something.
Your name is Tequila4Kapp. How do you think Joe Kapp would feel about us embracing furds?
He would say "About time you said goodbye to P*ssyland. You are now a Golden Bear…let's kick their asses and win the Axe."
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

"Nuanced" thinkers seem to believe that traditional stanfurd-haters like Cal Strong are playing checkers, but with with all their brilliant nuance they are playing 3-D chess.

Cal Strong has a different view. Those nuanced folks are certainly playing chess. No questions there. But those of us who hate stanfurd are more interested in playing college football.

College football not chess. It college football. Strong. Simple. Also, strong.


I feel strongly about the rivalry. It was one of the reasons I had misgivings about hiring a good coach like Madsen. Why I hate that Troy Taylor is at Stanford. I think it detracts from the rivalry and the rivalry is one of the things great about Cal sports that I don't want to lose. The way things are going it may be all we have.

That said, my dad went to Stanford, my sister went to Stanford, her husband/my brother-in-law went to Stanford. I have cousins that root for Stanford and I have friends who went to Stanford. So while I was able to see clearly, saw Cal was the better place, and chose Cal over Stanford, I don't hate those whose vision is, or was, clouded by prices and third rate news magazines. I pity them. Some people I know who chose Stanford later realized Cal would have been better. Some went to Cal for graduate degrees.

This is a commitment thread for a new Bear. Let's welcome any lost souls that see the light. Fiat Lux!

NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

For those who seem to think taking on furdies is a strong thing, Cal Strong has a few serious questions:

1. Do you wear red? Or do you still think the color is deplorable?

2. On an a scale of residential institutions from 1-10, 1 being Abu Ghraib and 10 being Cal, where would you rank stanfurd?

3. If stanfurd plays against Texas, who do you root for?




I love you Cal Strong but now you're being ridiculous. How about admitting it was a misguided post and you believe in redemption and are thrilled that Cal has picked up an experienced and talented OLineman to help our team in the upcoming season.

And as a principled and moral person you you would like to redeem any other Furdies talented enough to help our team.

Go Bears!
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NVBear78 said:

Cal Strong! said:

For those who seem to think taking on furdies is a strong thing, Cal Strong has a few serious questions:

1. Do you wear red? Or do you still think the color is deplorable?

2. On an a scale of residential institutions from 1-10, 1 being Abu Ghraib and 10 being Cal, where would you rank stanfurd?

3. If stanfurd plays against Texas, who do you root for?




I love you Cal Strong but now you're being ridiculous. How about admitting it was a misguided post and you believe in redemption and are thrilled that Cal has picked up an experienced and talented OLineman to help our team in the upcoming season.

And as a principled and moral person you you would like to redeem any other Furdies talented enough to help our team.

Go Bears!
Cal Strong not sure furdies are capable of redemption. He suspicious this might be a trojan horse situation. If Miller miss a big block in the Big Game, Cal Strong is going to hold some people on this thread responsible. And that he will not forgive.

Cal Strong no see how this is any different than Brennan Scarlet. It evil then, and it evil now.
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

Cal Strong! said:

"Nuanced" thinkers seem to believe that traditional stanfurd-haters like Cal Strong are playing checkers, but with with all their brilliant nuance they are playing 3-D chess.

Cal Strong has a different view. Those nuanced folks are certainly playing chess. No questions there. But those of us who hate stanfurd are more interested in playing college football.

College football not chess. It college football. Strong. Simple. Also, strong.


I feel strongly about the rivalry. It was one of the reasons I had misgivings about hiring a good coach like Madsen. Why I hate that Troy Taylor is at Stanford. I think it detracts from the rivalry and the rivalry is one of the things great about Cal sports that I don't want to lose. The way things are going it may be all we have.

That said, my dad went to Stanford, my sister went to Stanford, her husband/my brother-in-law went to Stanford. I have cousins that root for Stanford and I have friends who went to Stanford. So while I was able to see clearly, saw Cal was the better place, and chose Cal over Stanford, I don't hate those whose vision is, or was, clouded by prices and third rate news magazines. I pity them. Some people I know who chose Stanford later realized Cal would have been better. Some went to Cal for graduate degrees.

This is a commitment thread for a new Bear. Let's welcome any lost souls that see the light. Fiat Lux!


Cal Strong appreciate calumnus' perspective on his family members and furdie friends.

But Cal Strong need to ask: in what sense are they your "friends"? Do you just keep them around to win in cards or as scapegoats for when something goes wrong in your business affairs? Or are they legitimate friends? Would you trust them around your pets and silverware? And as for your family, how many of them both know how to read and still have all their teeth?
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

NVBear78 said:

Cal Strong! said:

For those who seem to think taking on furdies is a strong thing, Cal Strong has a few serious questions:

1. Do you wear red? Or do you still think the color is deplorable?

2. On an a scale of residential institutions from 1-10, 1 being Abu Ghraib and 10 being Cal, where would you rank stanfurd?

3. If stanfurd plays against Texas, who do you root for?




I love you Cal Strong but now you're being ridiculous. How about admitting it was a misguided post and you believe in redemption and are thrilled that Cal has picked up an experienced and talented OLineman to help our team in the upcoming season.

And as a principled and moral person you you would like to redeem any other Furdies talented enough to help our team.

Go Bears!
Cal Strong not sure furdies are capable of redemption. He suspicious this might be a trojan horse situation. If Miller miss a big block in the Big Game, Cal Strong is going to hold some people on this thread responsible. And that he will not forgive.

Cal Strong no see how this is any different than Brennan Scarlet. It evil then, and it evil now.


Scarlet left Cal for Stanford. That was good for Stanford and bad for Cal. Evil.

Miller left Stanford for Cal. That is good for Cal and bad for Stanford. Good.
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

For those who seem to think taking on furdies is a strong thing, Cal Strong has a few serious questions:

1. Do you wear red? Or do you still think the color is deplorable?

2. On an a scale of residential institutions from 1-10, 1 being Abu Ghraib and 10 being Cal, where would you rank stanfurd?

3. If stanfurd plays against Texas, who do you root for?

Amidst a tech discussion of OL football, you rest your case on garment color and neighborhood desirability.
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

Cal Strong! said:

NVBear78 said:

Cal Strong! said:

For those who seem to think taking on furdies is a strong thing, Cal Strong has a few serious questions:

1. Do you wear red? Or do you still think the color is deplorable?

2. On an a scale of residential institutions from 1-10, 1 being Abu Ghraib and 10 being Cal, where would you rank stanfurd?

3. If stanfurd plays against Texas, who do you root for?




I love you Cal Strong but now you're being ridiculous. How about admitting it was a misguided post and you believe in redemption and are thrilled that Cal has picked up an experienced and talented OLineman to help our team in the upcoming season.

And as a principled and moral person you you would like to redeem any other Furdies talented enough to help our team.

Go Bears!
Cal Strong not sure furdies are capable of redemption. He suspicious this might be a trojan horse situation. If Miller miss a big block in the Big Game, Cal Strong is going to hold some people on this thread responsible. And that he will not forgive.

Cal Strong no see how this is any different than Brennan Scarlet. It evil then, and it evil now.


Scarlet left Cal for Stanford. That was good for Stanford and bad for Cal. Evil.

Miller left Stanford for Cal. That is good for Cal and bad for Stanford. Good.
It remain to be seen if this "good" for Cal from an on-field perspective. Cal suspicious this might be a trojan horse situation.

It definitely bad for Cal in terms of our values and traditions.
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rushinbear said:

Cal Strong! said:

For those who seem to think taking on furdies is a strong thing, Cal Strong has a few serious questions:

1. Do you wear red? Or do you still think the color is deplorable?

2. On an a scale of residential institutions from 1-10, 1 being Abu Ghraib and 10 being Cal, where would you rank stanfurd?

3. If stanfurd plays against Texas, who do you root for?

Amidst a tech discussion of OL football, you rest your case on garment color and neighborhood desirability.
Where does Rushinbear get the impression that Cal Strong has rested his case? He just getting started. Where was neighborhood desirability even mentioned? Why he no answer the questions? Soft. As. Baby. Poop.

Rushinbear posting WEAK today. Cal not weak. Be more like Cal, less like you.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.