Photo by Twitter / Deon White
Cal Football Recruiting

Bears Make a Late Pickup with CSM OLB Deon White

March 9, 2018
7,556

With a couple extra slots available to fill, the Bears once again reached into JC powerhouse College of San Mateo to pick up versatile outside linebacker Deon White on his visit today to Cal.

The 6-3/200 White did it all for CSM, playing linebacker, in the slot and DB for the Bulldogs, with 56 tackles, an interception and several sacks and forced fumbles on the year. 

"Cal was just a great fit for me academically and with what they're doing on the field and their coaches," said White. "I can see myself really fitting in there and getting it done at Cal."

CSM has placed a significant number of players in D1 football over the years, including Cal signee and fellow Bulldog linebacker Colt Doughty, who joins White in the 2018 class after enrolling for spring in January.

"We're excited for Deon," said CSM coach Tim Tullock. "He played almost everything for us on defense, from starting at corner as a freshman, then he played pit safety, who matches up at times on the slot and he's played on the edge of the box as an edge backer. We blitzed him off the edge and did a lot of stuff with him. He's a really versatile kid. 

"He played quarterback and wideout in high school at Chavez High in Stockton so he's used to doing a lot of things.

"He played great all year and in the NorCal championship game and state championship game. This was just a good time and good place for him so he just decided to lock in.

"He's a real humble kids. He speaks really loudly with his actions and he's vocal in terms of communication. He's a guy that was a leader for us both on and off the field.

"I think he's a great fit for Cal. They look for those motivated, high-character kids that take care of business in the classroom and are big-time players. That's Deon.

"They've got Colt Doughty out there already so we've got yet a couple more guys moving on to play for Cal. I think that's six or seven guys in the last six years.

"There's a lot of kids that get missed and just need a little more development so they come to programs like our's," said Tullock. "We just had another kid commit to Alabama who was unrecruited out of high school. We'll have probably 15-16 sign D1, just like Deon.

Tullock has great respect for Cal head coach Justin Wilcox and staff and the system they've installed in Berkeley.

"A lot of times, programs just look at who's offered before they offer a guy," said Tullock. "That's what I love about our place. We truly evaluate talent and film. We had Deon rated really high out of high school. We knew he'd come in and be a big time player for us but no one else did.

"That's what I love about Cal, too. Cal does their own evaluations and are thorough. They don't just offer because someone else offers. Cal is very detailed and thorough in their evaluation process. They just don't care who else is recruiting a guy. They say, 'This kid will be a top Pac-12 player and will offer, regardless.

"That's what I love about Justin and his staff. They actually roll up their sleaves and do the work. They're not just looking at twitter or offering because someone else did. They're going to miss less and get the right kids because of that.

"With us, they're going to get kids who are going to work hard and get it done on the field, with preparation to succeed.

"Both Colt and Deon have started 24-25 games and Cal will come in and build on that."

White will arrive at Cal in June and will have three years to play two.

http://www2.hudl.com/video/3/3301087/59ed6f3c32e6a10f589dcd7c

Discussion from...

Bears Make a Late Pickup with CSM OLB Deon White

NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Good size and the length that this staff desires. Hope he contributes right away. Go Bears!
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
Exciting news. Welcome!
XXXBEAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Welcome to Cal!

safety or LB?
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
OLB
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Light for OLB. Redshirt year perhaps?
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
His coach thinks he'll play @220 this season. He'll be big enough.
Bear19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
The CSM HC, Tim Tullock, had this to say about Justin Willcox & Cal:

"That's what I love about Cal, too. Cal does their own evaluations and are thorough. They don't just offer because someone else offers. Cal is very detailed and thorough in their evaluation process. They just don't care who else is recruiting a guy. They say, 'This kid will be a top Pac-12 player and will offer, regardless.

"That's what I love about Justin and his staff. They actually roll up their sleeves and do the work. They're not just looking at twitter or offering because someone else did. They're going to miss less and get the right kids because of that.


Cal better lock down Wilcox long term because he is on the way to becoming an outstanding coach.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Welcome Deon. Time to ball.
barabbas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
NYCGOBEARS said:

Light for OLB. Redshirt year perhaps?

Yes , he'll redshirt for certain.
Beardog26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Depends on how much weight he adds before July/August and how giuys like Malik Psalms, Russell Ude and possibly Deron Brown develop at OLB.

After losing Can Saffle to career ending knee injury, we could use some depth on the edge
ayetee11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Who's the kid that committed to Bama?
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
He'll be a decent amount heavier at the start of the season than Cameron Goode was last season and he was very good as a skinny rs frosh OLB.
TomBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Bear19, I'm with you, totally on this. I was struck by the great things that were said about Cal's process, and I think this bodes really well for the future. This is exactly the type of recruiting I had been hoping for, and if we can keep Wilcox, Cal will become not just a good, but a storied program.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
TomBear said:

Bear19, I'm with you, totally on this. I was struck by the great things that were said about Cal's process, and I think this bodes really well for the future. This is exactly the type of recruiting I had been hoping for, and if we can keep Wilcox, Cal will become not just a good, but a storied program.
Good - very possible...

Storied - yikes! That is a word reserved for a select few programs in the country: Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, Alabama, Oklahoma. That's it. Sorry, there is no way that Cal moves into that territory. Heck, I would be satisfied with a run of success like Stanford has experienced under Shaw. That is far more realistic. Hyperbole, thine name is TomBear!
RhetoriCal Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Looks like a great get--smart, high character, a baller and versatile--can play LB or DB and I would imagine Safety as well (not to mention QB, as the article says).
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
barabbas said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Light for OLB. Redshirt year perhaps?

Yes , he'll redshirt for certain.
Pretty rare for JC transfers to redshirt, but sometimes it's not a bad idea. You figure, as a transfer with 2 yrs playing at a JC, they're ready to hit the ground running, but then that first year in D-1 is still an adjustment for them. After that, they only have one year left.

Hardly ever happens, though. The staff is bringing in somebody to fill a need and the player, now two yrs out of high school, feels like they're ready to go.

As others stated, ya gotta love what the coach said about both White and Wilcox!

Welcome to Cal, Deon!
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Big C said:

barabbas said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Light for OLB. Redshirt year perhaps?

Yes , he'll redshirt for certain.
Pretty rare for JC transfers to redshirt, but sometimes it's not a bad idea. You figure, as a transfer with 2 yrs playing at a JC, they're ready to hit the ground running, but then that first year in D-1 is still an adjustment for them. After that, they only have one year left.

Hardly ever happens, though. The staff is bringing in somebody to fill a need and the player, now two yrs out of high school, feels like they're ready to go.

As others stated, ya gotta love what the coach said about both White and Wilcox!

Welcome to Cal, Deon!
First, let White's play in spring and fall camps call the tune. If he shows he can improve the team and he wants to play this year, let him do it. If it looks to him like he's not going to play this year as much as he would like, give him an option: shirt or play as much as he earns, understanding that it may not be a lot. He might still be called upon should injuries hit hard.

We act like, somehow, we get to call the tune.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

barabbas said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Light for OLB. Redshirt year perhaps?

Yes , he'll redshirt for certain.
Pretty rare for JC transfers to redshirt, but sometimes it's not a bad idea. You figure, as a transfer with 2 yrs playing at a JC, they're ready to hit the ground running, but then that first year in D-1 is still an adjustment for them. After that, they only have one year left.

Hardly ever happens, though. The staff is bringing in somebody to fill a need and the player, now two yrs out of high school, feels like they're ready to go.

As others stated, ya gotta love what the coach said about both White and Wilcox!

Welcome to Cal, Deon!
First, let White's play in spring and fall camps call the tune. If he shows he can improve the team and he wants to play this year, let him do it. If it looks to him like he's not going to play this year as much as he would like, give him an option: shirt or play as much as he earns, understanding that it may not be a lot. He might still be called upon should injuries hit hard.

We act like, somehow, we get to call the tune.
I believe he won't be here for Spring Practice, as he would already have to be enrolled this semester.

Well, sure it's the staff's call as to whether or not a player redshirts, right? A wise staff will use player input as one of the decision-making factors. Redshirting is an easier "sell" when the player is coming straight from high school.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Big C said:

Rushinbear said:

Big C said:

barabbas said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

HLight for OLB. Redshirt year perhaps?

Yes , he'll redshirt for certain.
Pretty rare for JC transfers to redshirt, but sometimes it's not a bad idea. You figure, as a transfer with 2 yrs playing at a JC, they're ready to hit the ground running, but then that first year in D-1 is still an adjustment for them. After that, they only have one year left.

Hardly ever happens, though. The staff is bringing in somebody to fill a need and the player, now two yrs out of high school, feels like they're ready to go.

As others stated, ya gotta love what the coach said about both White and Wilcox!

Welcome to Cal, Deon!
First, let White's play in spring and fall camps call the tune. If he shows he can improve the team and he wants to play this year, let him do it. If it looks to him like he's not going to play this year as much as he would like, give him an option: shirt or play as much as he earns, understanding that it may not be a lot. He might still be called upon should injuries hit hard.

We act like, somehow, we get to call the tune.
I believe he won't be here for Spring Practice, as he would already have to be enrolled this semester.

Well, sure it's the staff's call as to whether or not a player redshirts, right? A wise staff will use player input as one of the decision-making factors. Redshirting is an easier "sell" when the player is coming straight from high school.
With all this conversation about redshirting, I think it is important to consider that there may be significant changes coming to the redshirt rule (with an effective date as soon as 2018).
moonpod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
ayetee11 said:

Who's the kid that committed to Bama?


Google says a Dominick Jackson an OL went to Bama from CSM a few years ago
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
DT Tevita Musica was recently offered and should be committing to bama this week or so.
Uthaithani
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
I'm glad to see this kid get a chance and hope he does well. That being said I see nothing about this recruiting class or Wilcox's recruiting process that portends greatness. At this point I don't see anything that would forecast anything better than mediocrity. Since Cal considers six wins sufficient, that'll be enough to lock down Wilcox. Nothing close to my concept of greatness, but obviously the bar for greatness in Cal athletics is very very low.
bearlyamazing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P
Uthaithani said:

I'm glad to see this kid get a chance and hope he does well. That being said I see nothing about this recruiting class or Wilcox's recruiting process that portends greatness. At this point I don't see anything that would forecast anything better than mediocrity. Since Cal considers six wins sufficient, that'll be enough to lock down Wilcox. Nothing close to my concept of greatness, but obviously the bar for greatness in Cal athletics is very very low.


Are you gonna slink your know-it-all ass out of here when we win more than 6 games this season?
packawana
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
bearlyamazing said:

Uthaithani said:

I'm glad to see this kid get a chance and hope he does well. That being said I see nothing about this recruiting class or Wilcox's recruiting process that portends greatness. At this point I don't see anything that would forecast anything better than mediocrity. Since Cal considers six wins sufficient, that'll be enough to lock down Wilcox. Nothing close to my concept of greatness, but obviously the bar for greatness in Cal athletics is very very low.


Are you gonna slink your know-it-all ass out of here when we win more than 6 games this season?
Uthaithani is being a bit melodramatic here but he does have a point -- nothing about the recruiting itself seems out of the ordinary (considering the level of recruiters we do have, it's quite underwhelming if we're going to consider it from a stars perspective). That being said, if this staff is great at evaluating talent then we can get away with having mostly 3-stars. One season is too early to tell either way whether or not Wilcox is the right guy.
Ncsf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
barabbas said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Light for OLB. Redshirt year perhaps?

Yes , he'll redshirt for certain.
No he won't. JC guys are brought in to play.
Grigsby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
Uthaithani said:

I'm glad to see this kid get a chance and hope he does well. That being said I see nothing about this recruiting class or Wilcox's recruiting process that portends greatness. At this point I don't see anything that would forecast anything better than mediocrity. Since Cal considers six wins sufficient, that'll be enough to lock down Wilcox. Nothing close to my concept of greatness, but obviously the bar for greatness in Cal athletics is very very low.


The problem is that Cal can't be elite until it fixes its internal issues and typically those don't get fixed until Cal is winning and head coach builds enough equity to wield power.

It's a chicken egg conundrum.

As far as Wilcox's recruiting goes when has Cal ever brought in such a solid OL class? Since the late eighties/nineties with Auzene, Malumm etc?

Much better to get hits on guys that may be physically limited that breathe football rather than guys who have massive potential who are more interested in brand image and dapping (Paul Pogba ehem)
PtownBear1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
packawana said:

bearlyamazing said:

Uthaithani said:

I'm glad to see this kid get a chance and hope he does well. That being said I see nothing about this recruiting class or Wilcox's recruiting process that portends greatness. At this point I don't see anything that would forecast anything better than mediocrity. Since Cal considers six wins sufficient, that'll be enough to lock down Wilcox. Nothing close to my concept of greatness, but obviously the bar for greatness in Cal athletics is very very low.


Are you gonna slink your know-it-all ass out of here when we win more than 6 games this season?
Uthaithani is being a bit melodramatic here but he does have a point -- nothing about the recruiting itself seems out of the ordinary (considering the level of recruiters we do have, it's quite underwhelming if we're going to consider it from a stars perspective). That being said, if this staff is great at evaluating talent then we can get away with having mostly 3-stars. One season is too early to tell either way whether or not Wilcox is the right guy.
I think the way the success trajectory works for a program like Cal (non powerhouse) is that mid-tier (on average) talent paired with good coaching will have a big winning season every few years when the team is mostly upperclassmen. Then that big season will lead to higher level talent, which means players that can make an impact right away so the success is sustained after the mid-tier group graduates.
GBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
R
I couldn't agree with this and stress this enough. Outside of big name coaches, like Chip Kelly and big time programs, like Florida, recruiting doesn't usually turn around immediatly. Some people forget this.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
GBear said:

I couldn't agree with this and stress this enough. Outside of big name coaches, like Chip Kelly and big time programs, like Florida, recruiting doesn't usually turn around immediatly. Some people forget this.
See Jeff Tedford 2003. He had an terrific class following his first year as head coach.

CRBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
71Bear said:

GBear said:

I couldn't agree with this and stress this enough. Outside of big name coaches, like Chip Kelly and big time programs, like Florida, recruiting doesn't usually turn around immediatly. Some people forget this.
See Jeff Tedford 2003. He had an terrific class following his first year as head coach.


In retrospect he had an amazing class. At the time, it was rated pretty much like this one. It was 5th in the Pac 10. It had a slightly higher national rating but that is likely more due to the fact that it had 26 players in it. There were some unremarkable 3 star JC guys like Aaron Rodgers, JJ Arrington, Ryan Riddle, and Garrett Cross. There was also some high school 2 star named Thomas DeCoud. Some of the 3 stars high school players included Hughes, Mebane, and Giordano. I wonder what became of those guys?

If this class turns out to be anywhere close to as good as that class, we'll all be thrilled. That class had a grand total of 1 four star, 22 three stars, and 3 two stars. Let's come back to this conversation in three years and we'll know whether this class was really any good. I'm disappointed by the apparent lack of difference makers but all it really takes is one or two guys to shock us. I'm not predicting anything. I just think we all need to wait and see.
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
An article we did several weeks back looking at Cal's recruiting history - 2007-2015

The 2003 class was very similar for the Bears as Wilcox's 2018 class in terms of average stars per recruit and national/conference rankings. Let's hope it works out equally as well
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
CRBear said:

71Bear said:

GBear said:

I couldn't agree with this and stress this enough. Outside of big name coaches, like Chip Kelly and big time programs, like Florida, recruiting doesn't usually turn around immediatly. Some people forget this.
See Jeff Tedford 2003. He had an terrific class following his first year as head coach.


In retrospect he had an amazing class. At the time, it was rated pretty much like this one. It was 5th in the Pac 10. It had a slightly higher national rating but that is likely more due to the fact that it had 26 players in it. There were some unremarkable 3 star JC guys like Aaron Rodgers, JJ Arrington, Ryan Riddle, and Garrett Cross. There was also some high school 2 star named Thomas DeCoud. Some of the 3 stars high school players included Hughes, Mebane, and Giordano. I wonder what became of those guys?

If this class turns out to be anywhere close to as good as that class, we'll all be thrilled. That class had a grand total of 1 four star, 22 three stars, and 3 two stars. Let's come back to this conversation in three years and we'll know whether this class was really any good. I'm disappointed by the apparent lack of difference makers but all it really takes is one or two guys to shock us. I'm not predicting anything. I just think we all need to wait and see.
Some will turn out about as expected. Some not as well. A few better than expected. With the exception of really high rated kids, that's why size of class is so important. And, then, you've got the issue of personality with the top ones, if you get them (ala Allen).

The traditionally strong programs recruit so well year in and year out because of a two factor reason. Their area/region is crawling with their supporters - it's a local industry: small businesses, alums, bias of media reporting, paraphernalia everywhere, public events, politicians - and from an early age, kids are inundated with it and learn to want to be part of it.

Second, reason One is supported by winning - traditionally. Not just one or two years, but a strong winning record every year that is hyped by the industry and the parents (who often are part of the industry in some way).

You mention Florida. A kid growing up in northern and even central Florida is flooded with images and hype as soon as he can see. It is everywhere, in every medium. Gators, Gators, Gators, everywhere he goes. Followed closely by Noles, Noles, Noles. If he lives south of Orlando, add to it Canes, Canes, Canes. You have to see it and be in it. Luckily for other schools who recruit there, those 3 can only take so many and there's plenty of talent left over.

The same is true in AL, MS, LA, GA, and to some extent TN and NC. The closest to that in the west is SoCal, but there's too much dispersion and distraction to match it. And, we're just not football crazy, as they are. So, a little more of the top talent escapes.

I think Wilcox is doing the right thing under the circumstances. Targeting locations and painting a unique picture to a recruiting group (wouldn't call it a base) that fits his system the best - smart, football crazy, coachable, kids who seem most likely to mature in their bodies and make it through to senior year.

It'll be an interesting time. I think it's the right way to go and I think he'll do it (win a majority of games, over time, with an occasional great year).
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
BearGreg said:

An article we did several weeks back looking at Cal's recruiting history - 2007-2015

The 2003 class was very similar for the Bears as Wilcox's 2018 class in terms of average stars per recruit and national/conference rankings. Let's hope it works out equally as well
Per Rivals...

2003 - Cal second to SC in the P10 and 14th nationally
2018 - Cal 7th in the P12 and 44th nationally.

The two classes are definitely NOT similar in ranking.

KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
CRBear said:

71Bear said:

GBear said:

I couldn't agree with this and stress this enough. Outside of big name coaches, like Chip Kelly and big time programs, like Florida, recruiting doesn't usually turn around immediatly. Some people forget this.
See Jeff Tedford 2003. He had an terrific class following his first year as head coach.


In retrospect he had an amazing class. At the time, it was rated pretty much like this one. It was 5th in the Pac 10. It had a slightly higher national rating but that is likely more due to the fact that it had 26 players in it. There were some unremarkable 3 star JC guys like Aaron Rodgers, JJ Arrington, Ryan Riddle, and Garrett Cross. There was also some high school 2 star named Thomas DeCoud. Some of the 3 stars high school players included Hughes, Mebane, and Giordano. I wonder what became of those guys?

If this class turns out to be anywhere close to as good as that class, we'll all be thrilled. That class had a grand total of 1 four star, 22 three stars, and 3 two stars. Let's come back to this conversation in three years and we'll know whether this class was really any good. I'm disappointed by the apparent lack of difference makers but all it really takes is one or two guys to shock us. I'm not predicting anything. I just think we all need to wait and see.
Wisconsin Model. Class full of 3 stars that are good students and love football. Coach um up. Let's do this.
Page 1 of 2
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.