Story Poster
Photo by Tuscon.com
Cal Football

Bears Reportedly Hire Brian Johnson as New Head S&C Coach

January 13, 2021

Per footballscoop.com, the Bears have hired their replacement for former Head S&C coach Torre Becton with the addition of former LSU player and collegiate and NFL S&C coach Brian Johnson.

Johnson played offensive line under LSU head coaches Les Miles and Nick Saban before a three-year stint in the NFL with the Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Baltimore Ravens before taking an injury retirement.

It didn’t take long for the former Kinesiology, African American Studies and Communications student to find his way into strength coaching, beginning with working for Jimbo Fisher in his hometown base of Talahassee, Florida for Florida State as a strength and conditioning assistant in 2010. Two years later, he returned to his alma mater LSU in the same capacity to coach under Saban until the San Francisco 49ers nabbed him as a strength and conditioning assistant for two years, the last year under head coach Chip Kelly.

After Kelly’s firing, Williams moved over to Texas A&M for a year before head coach Kevin Sumlin took him with him to Arizona to take over their strength and conditioning program, where he also worked with Cal defensive backs coach Marcel Yates, who was a big advocate for his hiring at Cal.

With Sumlin’s dismissal after this season, Williams was set to joing Butch Jones’ staff at Arkansas State but the Bears reportedly lured him over before much time elapsed.

Johnson started 28 games at multiple line positions for LSU from 2003-‘06. Despite accumulating 148 knockdowns and 34 pancake blocks over his final two seasons, Johnson did not get drafted before spending his three seasons in the NFL.

His predecessor Becton had been with the Bears for the four years of head coach Justin Wilcox’s tenure at Cal before departing for a similar position at the University of Texas.

Discussion from...

Bears Reportedly Hire Brian Johnson as New Head S&C Coach

14,979 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by going4roses
Goberts
How long do you want to ignore this user?

His energy reminds me of Becton!
91Cal
Welcome to the family! Go Bears!
calumnus
Seems like a good hire.
upsetof86
Seems like he checks all the boxes, player in big conference and winner, nfl underdog story, etc etc. And all due respect if it sounds like a cynical response. As a Cal alum I am so very weary /sensitized to politically correct strategies when it comes to "people" and "policies." Just results and an effort at objectivity I hope/think we all desire. No reason to not support our new S&C coach I am glad it happened quickly, as JW seems prepared, no surprise there either. Go Bears!
Cal_79
BearinOC said:

Seems like an okay hire to me. I hope he excels and proves the naysayers as an affirmative action hire for coaching vs. merit.

He appears to have a good reputation. What about this hire suggests "affirmative action"?
calumnus
BearinOC said:

Seems like an okay hire to me. I hope he excels and proves the naysayers as an affirmative action hire for coaching vs. merit.

Did you read his credentials? Far more qualified than the self taught body-builder people here backed against Desean Jackson because DJax wouldn't "do the same weight training the rest of the team is doing" and bulk up. And then oversaw Longshore going over 250 lbs and tearing a pec while bench pressing.
AunBear89
Huh?
philbert
calumnus
BearinOC said:

Edit: sorry I was at Costco when I wrote the reply

Society in general have the Black "help" section like the affirmative action/help blacks it seems. Biden chose Kamala, Yelp, Netflix, Amazon prime video all have a separate section for black empowerment. The last article I read was about a nationally ranked high school in SF going with the lottery system for accepting students instead of a merit base system. I think the breakdown was like 61% Asian and like 2% black.

We are talking about a former NFL player with a Masters Degree in his field. Someone the 49ers once employed to do the same job.

Instead of addressing his qualifications you are questioning his hiring only because he is Black?
BearinOC
calumnus said:

BearinOC said:

Society in general have the Black "help" section like the affirmative action/help blacks it seems. Biden chose Kamala, Yelp, Netflix, Amazon prime video all have a separate section for black empowerment. The last article I read was about a nationally ranked high school in SF going with the lottery system for accepting students instead of a merit base system. I think the breakdown was like 61% Asian and like 2% black.

We are talking about a former NFL player with a Masters Degree in his field. Someone the 49ers once employed to do the same job.

Instead of addressing his qualifications you are questioning his hiring only because he is Black?
Um, when did I question his credential? Masters degree is a must now. Even a high school softball coaches have a MA. He was an assistant at SF. Because he was employed at SF, he must qualified to lead Cal? Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Tim Couch, and others must be awesome NFL Quaterbacks since they were first round draft picks. I can keep naming names that being in the NFL does not mean ***** Asinine argument.
FloriDreaming
calumnus said:

BearinOC said:

Did you read his credentials? Far more qualified than the self taught body-builder people here backed against Desean Jackson because DJax wouldn't "do the same weight training the rest of the team is doing" and bulk up. And then oversaw Longshore going over 250 lbs and tearing a pec while bench pressing.

I was here when DJAX was playing and saw ZERO post about his weight room ethic. This seems like a good hire, but no need to make up nonsense to prove a point.
calumnus
Uthaithani said:

calumnus said:

BearinOC said:

I was here when DJAX was playing and saw ZERO post about his weight room ethic. This seems like a good hire, but no need to make up nonsense to prove a point.

Just because you personally didn't see it or remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen and I made it up. It was the major source of criticism of Desean, who was highly criticized by "insiders" when he was here.
MoragaBear
Staff
We do welcome threads like no one else around here...
mbBear
BearinOC said:

Be it Brian's background (yeah, I've heard of some of those schools) or Kamala's (AG of Cali, and a US Senator) I'm not overly concerned about their skin color.
You sure Kamala wasn't just hired because of her sex? Or that isn't in your playbook of "empowerment?"

AunBear89
BearinOC said:

I repeat: huh?
BearinOC
mbBear said:

BearinOC said:

Be it Brian's background (yeah, I've heard of some of those schools) or Kamala's (AG of Cali, and a US Senator) I'm not overly concerned about their skin color.
You sure Kamala wasn't just hired because of her sex? Or that isn't in your playbook of "empowerment?"

I'm a Bear through and through. I only hope he is able to get our boys ready mentally and physically. If he can also help them mentally for life, even better. I am not as impressed as others on his resume. Irrespective, he has been hired, I only hope success for him and the program. Our school is too great to be satisfied with mediocrity. Let's get back to the Rose Bowl!
MoragaBear
Staff
Johnson was hired because of his strong resume, a high recommendation from Yates from working together at Arizona and because he knocked it out it out of the park in his interview. Period.

Really surprised that the whole affirmative action question would even be broached in 2021. Seriously.
Cal_79
BearinOC said:

mbBear said:

BearinOC said:

I'm a Bear through and through. I only hope he is able to get our boys ready mentally and physically. If he can also help them mentally for life, even better. I am not as impressed as others on his resume. Irrespective, he has been hired, I only hope success for him and the program. Our school is too great to be satisfied with mediocrity. Let's get back to the Rose Bowl!

Then please share why you are not impressed. Bringing up affirmative action in this situation is BS and a disservice to Brian Johnson.
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

Johnson was hired because of his strong resume, a high recommendation from Yates from working together at Arizona and because he knocked it out it out of the park in his interview. Period.

Really surprised that the whole affirmative action question would even be broached in 2021. Seriously.
Well, the NFL is offering teams additional draft choices if a coach/executive of color from their staff is hired by another team as either the head coach or GM.

Heck, if we didn't learn anything else over the last four years, we learned that racism is alive and well even at the highest levels of government. Sadly, even in 2021, we are still fighting an uphill battle to provide opportunities for everybody.

Having said that, I would hope that Wilcox conducted a search that focused on reviewing candidates of all backgrounds prior to the hire. Based on your comments, it appears that was the case.
calumnus
71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

Well, the NFL is offering teams additional draft choices if a coach/executive of color from their staff is hired by another team as either the head coach or GM.

Heck, if we didn't learn anything else over the last four years, we learned that racism is alive and well even at the highest levels of government. Sadly, even in 2021, we are still fighting an uphill battle to provide opportunities for everybody.

Having said that, I would hope that Wilcox conducted a search that focused on reviewing candidates of all backgrounds prior to the hire. Based on your comments, it appears that was the case.

The most objective, results oriented, quantitative-based jobs we have in our society are professional sports. Prior to the 1970s a major avenue, college football in the Southeast Conference, would not even allow an African American on the team due to outright racism. For a decade it was only one of two players per team despite being located in an area with large African American populations. Then for decades more there was a conscious and unconscious bias against African Americans playing the quarterback position throughout the country, even at a progressive place like Cal. African American kids who played quarterback in high school regularly were converted to other positions. In the NFL there were either none or an occasional African American QB (usually from HBCUs). Only in the the last few years has it become more common. Now there are 11 or 12 non-white starting QBs in the NFL. Great young QBs. No one can seriously claim African Americans have become more capable. Nothing was "given" to these QBs. What has changed is the simple opportunity to compete. Conscious and unconscious. If that has only just now happened in an area so subject to objective analysis, should be obvious similar biases exist in more subjective areas like coaching, and especially in area outside sports like executive hiring where African Americans have been excluded consciously and unconsciously for centuries.

Happy Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr 's Birthday everybody!
rkt88edmo
calumnus said:

What has changed is the simple opportunity to compete. Conscious and unconscious. If that has only just now happened in an area so subject to objective analysis, should be obvious similar biases exist in more subjective areas like coaching, and especially in area outside sports like executive hiring where African Americans have been excluded consciously and unconsciously for centuries.

Happy Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr 's Birthday everybody!
Hear Hear!
mbBear
Cal_79 said:

BearinOC said:

mbBear said:

BearinOC said:

Then please share why you are not impressed. Bringing up affirmative action in this situation is BS and a disservice to Brian Johnson.

You are right and it was a disservice to Cal athletics as well. Not saying that every coaching hire in every sport has been perfect in the Knowlton era, and there are plenty of threads arguing the merits ad nauseum. But you would be pretty hard pressed to find anyone making this ridiculous accusation before this. And over a S and T coach no less, where an opinion is dart throwing at best.

BearinOC
MoragaBear said:

Well, high and mighty, I'm sorry for questioning. Jeez you sound like a lefty nut job who can't allow others to have differing thoughts or opinions for **** sake.
BearinOC
Cal_79 said:

BearinOC said:

mbBear said:

BearinOC said:

I don't have to share with you. I'm not allowed my opinion without your judgement? What and who are you to me? No one.
BearinOC
mbBear said:

Cal_79 said:

BearinOC said:

mbBear said:

BearinOC said:

You are right and it was a disservice to Cal athletics as well. Not saying that every coaching hire in every sport has been perfect in the Knowlton era, and there are plenty of threads arguing the merits ad nauseum. But you would be pretty hard pressed to find anyone making this ridiculous accusation before this. And over a S and T coach no less, where an opinion is dart throwing at best.

When and where did I accuse? Please feel free to quote me.
Cal_79
BearinOC said:

Cal_79 said:

BearinOC said:

mbBear said:

BearinOC said:

I don't have to share with you. I'm not allowed my opinion without your judgement? What and who are you to me? No one.

As far as I can see, no one is denying anybody the opportunity to share opinions. Neither am I seeing anyone else voicing concern about the hire. Is it not a legitimate question to inquire why you're not impressed with the hire?
BearinOC
Cal_79 said:

BearinOC said:

Cal_79 said:

BearinOC said:

mbBear said:

BearinOC said:

As far as I can see, no one is denying anybody the opportunity to share opinions. Neither am I seeing anyone else voicing concern about the hire. Is it not a legitimate question to inquire why you're not impressed with the hire?
He was set to goto Arkansas State. I guess he wasn't offered by any of the power 5 or other FBS quality schools either. Frankly, I didn't even know they had a football program. I am guessing they are a D1 program though without Googling it.

I just went to their site. Their winning % was .364 and lost to Memphis, Coastal Carolina(good team this year), App State, Troy, Louisiana, Texas State and South Alabama. And they have a descent Woman's Bowling team.
Pittstop
Although I still haven't figured out how the NFL team that hires a minority HC or GM benefits from the OTHER team getting draft picks for losing that coach or GM candidate. How does it incentivize me to hire someone of color when the other team gets the draft picks? And I happen to be black. And I am thrilled to see minorities gain opportunities for which they are obviously qualified (like Saleh...and Johnson, here at cal). But I just haven't figured out that draft pick thing.
flounder
BearinOC said:

calumnus said:

BearinOC said:

Um, when did I question his credential? Masters degree is a must now. Even a high school softball coaches have a MA. He was an assistant at SF. Because he was employed at SF, he must qualified to lead Cal? Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Tim Couch, and others must be awesome NFL Quaterbacks since they were first round draft picks. I can keep naming names that being in the NFL does not mean ***** Asinine argument.

man, you are one of the *********weirdos that should just refrain from posting. recruits and their parents read this ****, think about how you look as an alum (if you are one).
mbBear
BearinOC said:

mbBear said:

Cal_79 said:

BearinOC said:

mbBear said:

BearinOC said:

When and where did I accuse? Please feel free to quote me.

You suggested, implied, or whatever word YOU choose to use that Cal made this decision, factored in this decision, based on affirmative action considerations. Again, I think that's insulting to Cal and to Johnson.
You are more than welcome to hate affirmative action or however you view it, believe that it played a role here; you brought it up, as a factor, and hey, maybe some people here agree with you, but owning an opinion shouldn't be about the quantitative support you have for it right?
Some of us find that opinion nauseating at best, or in the case of the Admin(MB), ridiculous to be even brought up in the year. 2021. But again, if you believe that a person not of color would have been hired otherwise, then sure, own that.

71Bear
Pittstop said:

Although I still haven't figured out how the NFL team that hires a minority HC or GM benefits from the OTHER team getting draft picks for losing that coach or GM candidate. How does it incentivize me to hire someone of color when the other team gets the draft picks? And I happen to be black. And I am thrilled to see minorities gain opportunities for which they are obviously qualified (like Saleh...and Johnson, here at cal). But I just haven't figured out that draft pick thing.
What makes sense to me....

The incentive is for teams to hire people of color for coordinator positions with the idea that those guys will eventually bump up to a head coach position for another team thus yielding the team from which the guy was hired a draft choice. For example, SF will probably promote DeMeco Ryans to the DC position. Eventually, he will become a head coach and SF will receive a couple draft choices. Good for Ryans; good for the NFL.

Give how few coordinators/head coaches there are in the NFL who are people of color, this is a good start to incentivizing teams to address the issue.
philbert
Pittstop said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/11/10/nfl-minority-coach-general-manager-hiring-proposal-approved/6234064002/
mbBear
71Bear said:

Pittstop said:

The incentive is for teams to hire people of color for coordinator positions with the idea that those guys will eventually bump up to a head coach position for another team thus yielding the team from which the guy was hired a draft choice. For example, SF will probably promote DeMeco Ryans to the DC position. Eventually, he will become a head coach and SF will receive a couple draft choices. Good for Ryans; good for the NFL.

Give how few coordinators/head coaches there are in the NFL who are people of color, this is a good start to incentivizing teams to address the issue.
So isn't there a flaw if Ryans continues up the ranks? Meaning, he is DC for 6 years, and becomes Niners HC (for whatever reason), the Niners aren't rewarded for their own development etc.?
Of course, as I type this, I realize this isn't even a scenario that is out there happening, so whatever..ha...
going4roses
Welcome coach Johnson.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
StillNoStanfurdium
mbBear said:

71Bear said:

Pittstop said:

So isn't there a flaw if Ryans continues up the ranks? Meaning, he is DC for 6 years, and becomes Niners HC (for whatever reason), the Niners aren't rewarded for their own development etc.?
Of course, as I type this, I realize this isn't even a scenario that is out there happening, so whatever..ha...
I mean in this situation the team gets the HC they were looking for and retains his services. That's the reward so to speak.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.