Larry Scott OUT!

9,428 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AunBear89
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Hallelujah!
GoBears89
'bout time!!!!
ColoradoBear
Boom.
LunchTime
okaydo
They obviously did it so the news will be overshadowed by bigger events. I hate when that happens.

BearSD
okaydo said:

They obviously did it so the news will be overshadowed by bigger events. I hate when that happens.
Any time is a good time to fire Tennis Larry. In the words of Neil Young, "Should've been done long ago."
oskidunker
Great news. Get the headquarters out of San Francisco and stop paying the commissioner 6.9 Million dollars. I would guess they could get a more competent person for much less.
Go Bears!
Marty
Evidently he flew straight to Palm Beach, and will be holed up at Mar A Lago for the foreseeable future....
smh
confirmatory..
https://pac-12.com/article/2021/01/20/pac-12-conference-announces-commissioner-larry-scott-conclude-term-commissioner
okaydo
BearSD said:

okaydo said:

Any time is a good time to fire Tennis Larry. In the words of Neil Young, "Should've been done long ago."

He'll still be around for a while.

71Bear
philbert said:

Hallelujah!

Be careful what you wish for...

While the composition of the CEO group has changed quite a bit since Scott was hire, I am not convinced their desire to significantly change the course of the conference is any different.

Of course, if they select an SEC executive, that would tell us they are serious about changing the direction of the conference. OTOH, another hire with no administrative experience in the college ranks would just be more of the same.

The devil is in the detail.......
91Cal
The search ought to be interesting...

Who leads the search? June is a long way off. Do they announce before then? Do they go with an interim?

The pressure on the next commish is tremendous. Bad hire and we end up with the Power 4...
philbert
71Bear said:

While the composition of the CEO group has changed quite a bit since Scott was hire, I am not convinced their desire to significantly change the course of the conference is any different.

Of course, if they select an SEC executive, that would tell us they are serious about changing the direction of the conference. OTOH, another hire with no administrative experience in the college ranks would just be more of the same.

I'm hopeful because letting him go now shows they know need better leadership. They know the importance of the new media rights deal and are smart enough to not let Scott be in charge of it. They could easily have let his contract run its course. Could they still make a bad hire? Sure, but the alternative wasn't going to get them anywhere.
philbert

Bearly Clad
For Americans, today will go down as an historic day when we moved on from a lying, incompetent, media *****. And also the day we got rid of trump
calumnus
Such a great day
Golden One
Hooray!!!!!
bitter bear
I could just see the Pac 12 hiring Trump to be the new commissioner
01Bear
71Bear said:

philbert said:

Hallelujah!

Do we really want a SEC executive, though? Do we want to look the other way while schools pay players under the table and engage in other violations? Is the goal here just to about doing business and growing the Pac-12 revenues? Or do we want someone who will also respect the traditions of the individual schools?

Tennis Larry got Pac-12 football games on national TV, but at a cost: games with 7pm start times. What will we sacrifice with someone who puts the bottom line above the game day experience for Pac-12 fans? Will we lose the Big Game as an annual tradition? Will Cal no longer play both USC and UCLA every year? Will we have just piped in music an no more bands? Will the Pac-12 demand the student section at each school be moved into the end zones in order to sell more tickets?
okaydo
How about Oliver Luck?

Bearly Clad
For anyone who might need a translation I'm fluent in several different dialects of white guys and "at the same time I had been thinking that the time is right for me to exit for personal and professional reasons" is definitely white man talk for "my ass just got canned". I hope the Pac-12 doesn't give him serious input on his replacement or the cycle of **** will continue
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

philbert said:

Hallelujah!

elevate Merton Hanks? That would send a football first message.
chazzed
calumnus said:

Such a great day

Hear, hear!
71Bear
01Bear said:

71Bear said:

philbert said:

Hallelujah!

Do we really want a SEC executive, though? Do we want to look the other way while schools pay players under the table and engage in other violations? Is the goal here just to about doing business and growing the Pac-12 revenues? Or do we want someone who will also respect the traditions of the individual schools?

Tennis Larry got Pac-12 football games on national TV, but at a cost: games with 7pm start times. What will we sacrifice with someone who puts the bottom line above the game day experience for Pac-12 fans? Will we lose the Big Game as an annual tradition? Will Cal no longer play both USC and UCLA every year? Will we have just piped in music an no more bands? Will the Pac-12 demand the student section at each school be moved into the end zones in order to sell more tickets?
Yes, I want an SEC executive (wishful thinking, I know). He/she would put football first, second, third, etc.etc. All other sports would be subservient to the demands of football. All of the football traditions would remain in place, scheduling would be structured to spotlight the best the conference has to offer, and the interests of the fans would be taken into consideration. And, of course, conference marketing would put the players in a position to maximize their financial opportunities under the coming provisions of NIL.

If the P12 doesn't get their s... together regarding football, the conference will lose their premier schools (UCLA and USC) with the remaining schools dropping to a lower classification. The day is coming when the big time schools band together and exit the NCAA. Does the P12 want to join the movement or splinter and get stuck with the leftovers?

Don't believe it? Just wait........
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

01Bear said:

71Bear said:

philbert said:

Hallelujah!

Yes, I want an SEC executive (wishful thinking, I know). He/she would put football first, second, third, etc.etc. All other sports would be subservient to the demands of football. All of the football traditions would remain in place, scheduling would be structured to spotlight the best the conference has to offer, and the interests of the fans would be taken into consideration. And, of course, conference marketing would put the players in a position to maximize their financial opportunities under the coming provisions of NIL.

If the P12 doesn't get their s... together regarding football, the conference will lose their premier schools (UCLA and USC) with the remaining schools dropping to a lower classification. The day is coming when the big time schools band together and exit the NCAA. Does the P12 want to join the movement or splinter and get stuck with the leftovers?

UCLA? You mean the school that is fifth (probably 6th) in revenue generation in its own conference and has only been to a lowly Cactus bowl game in the last five year? You must think this is a mid-major basketball conference. Just so you understand the importance of football, UCLA is behind USC, Udbu, Oregon, and ASU in annual revenues produced by its athletic department, and likely is behind Stanford which doesn't report its numbers, but is thought to have huge annual revenues generated by its massive athletic department endowment.

As for desirability if you are another conference, it is probably Oregon and SC, right now, and in that order. And I would throw in Washington which has a great balance sheet. Oregon has the best TV ratings of any Pac 12 school, with SC not far behind. Moreover, the legislature and UC administration types are not going to let UCLA walk away from the Pac w/o Cal in tow.

Bottom line is a better football conference helps all other sports.
calumnus
Maybe pull someone with both PAC-12 and ESPN/Disney ties? The key has to be media and revenue generation.
bearsandgiants
okaydo said:

Bernie's mittens were definitely a bigger story.
LunchTime
okaydo said:

Larry Scott is hardly a trauma to the country. Id say the Pac12 region had a real Scott derangement syndrome, but at least half the country liked having him lead the Pac12.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

01Bear said:

71Bear said:

philbert said:

Hallelujah!

UCLA? You mean the school that is fifth (probably 6th) in revenue generation in its own conference and has only been to a lowly Cactus bowl game in the last five year? You must think this is a mid-major basketball conference. Just so you understand the importance of football, UCLA is behind USC, Udbu, Oregon, and ASU in annual revenues produced by its athletic department, and likely is behind Stanford which doesn't report its numbers, but is thought to have huge annual revenues generated by its massive athletic department endowment.

As for desirability if you are another conference, it is probably Oregon and SC, right now, and in that order. And I would throw in Washington which has a great balance sheet. Oregon has the best TV ratings of any Pac 12 school, with SC not far behind. Moreover, the legislature and UC administration types are not going to let UCLA walk away from the Pac w/o Cal in tow.

Bottom line is a better football conference helps all other sports.
Two comments...

1. It is all about how many people live in your market. Los Angeles is second only to New York. Conferences executives want big markets that can help them pump the value of the product they are selling to the media. Oregon - how many people live in that state? Not even half the total of LA County.

2. Perception trumps reality. Go anywhere in the country outside the Northwest and you will find UCLA has a much higher "perception score" than any of the conference schools outside CA.. The glamour of Southern California is a critical component in the selling of the UCLA brand. UCLA is a one of the highest profiles names in college athletics, regardless of current on-field results.

In essence, results are fleeting but market size and reputation are fixed. Media executive and conference leaders know that and make their decisions accordingly.

59bear
Another snake oil salesman bites the dust!
cyrusthebear
Can someone give me a tl;dr version of why we don't like Larry Scott?

i recently had children and I've been in a black hole. Thanks!
WalterSobchak
Media deal pays out pennies compared to others
Network distribution is a disaster
Games are relegated to poor times, partially because TV partners have no profit motive to promote them
He's massively overpaid
Facilities are in SF financial district, so way too expensive
Employees live in Bay Area, so "need" to be paid more for COL
He treats staff terribly and self-deals to their detriment
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
philbert
WalterSobchak said:

Media deal pays out pennies compared to others
Network distribution is a disaster
Games are relegated to poor times, partially because TV partners have no profit motive to promote them
He's massively overpaid
Facilities are in SF financial district, so way too expensive
Employees live in Bay Area, so "need" to be paid more for COL
He treats staff terribly and self-deals to their detriment

Don't forget he approved a big bonus for himself and other executives earlier this year. Then he immediately announced staff layoffs.
sycasey
He needed to go. The fact that we couldn't get the Pac-12 Network on DirecTV after all these years was a massive failure and indicative of the kind of inflexibility of Scott's regime.

That said, we shouldn't let this paper over how bad his predecessor was too. At least the games are all televised now. They weren't under Tom Hansen, as recently as 2006.
01Bear
With more and more viewers moving away from the cable TV model and since the Pac-12 owns its own content rights, the smart thing to do would be to create a Pac-12 streaming channel or to partner with an existing company that does that. If everyone who followed the Pac-12 paid a subscription fee of $5/month, that could generate decent revenue from August through February. Of course, there are an additional five months where the Pac-12 would need to provide content to prevent the subscriptions from being canceled until August. Of course, there could be an one-time $60 charge for football and basketball season with five months of free Pac-12 streaming after that.

I get that there will also be startup costs as well as costs to run a streaming service and that these costs may end up being more than the subscription fees. If that proves to be the case, then obviously this model would not be a good idea. However, if the model is sustainable and could generate more money for the schools, that may be the better way to go.

In any case, the new Pac-12 commissioner has to be ready and able to address this possibility.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.