Yates to Oregon?

2,482 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hanky1
bluehenbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No comments about Marcel Yates going to Eugene? Was here only a year...
YamhillBear
bluehenbear said:

yeah, was hoping to get some insight here. I never really heard much pro or con about him in his brief tenure with us.
GivemTheAxe
YamhillBear said:

bluehenbear said:

yeah, was hoping to get some insight here. I never really heard much pro or con about him in his brief tenure with us.

So he was with Cal for only the 2020 non- season.
So it would be impossible to evaluate the impact (or non-impact) of his departure.

Guess his loyalty to TDR who probably had a big vote in his being hired at Cal last January) overcame any loyalty he might have had to Sirmon or JW.
75bear
We hardly knew ye.
WalterSobchak
YamhillBear said:

bluehenbear said:

What makes you hope for that? This website doesn't provide program information on the free side anymore. Any info you learn here has already been made available by another source. Most often twitter or free articles on other sites. This is a purely OT site board now, except for rehashing old program news.
Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
71Bear
I suspect it had much to do with $$$$$. Once the numbers are made available, we will know.
Pittstop
Doesn't seem to me like JW tried to move any mountains to keep him. I perceived him as a step down from GA, in both coaching and recruiting (small sample size, of course). As I said in another thread, not necessarily bad, just 'less'.
Bearly Clad
I liked Yates as a coach and I thought our DBs were one of the best units on the field this season. That said he's never been known as the most charismatic personality/recruiter.

Yates was poachable by one of our rivals because it was his first year with us as a position coach and he had no titles (Co-DC, Asst. HC, Recruiting Coordinator, Defensive Passing Game Coordinator) that come with a pay bump. That means he was lowest on our position coach pay-scale which is a spot that can be hired from at any school. TDR knew that and so he knew what it would take to hire Yates away from us for his new staff at Oregon.

Yates is one of the very few coaches during the Wilcox years to leave without a promotion and it took a big raise for it to happen. Marcel deserves our thanks for the work he put in during the weirdest year any of us have lived through, and I'm hoping he has a great coaching career once he leaves Oregon (I'm a fan first, sue me).

The fact is that if Yates was on the "do not touch" list then he wouldn't have been hired away. Just last season Phil Knight and Oregon came after Burl Toler and were sent packing by one motivated/heroic Cal donor on these boards; if the ducks had come after Browning, Toler, Sirmon, or Wilcox they would've left empty-handed
okaydo
Wow, they named the job after him.

hanky1
okaydo said:

Wow, they named the job after him.

I think we know know why he left Cal
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.