Flints returning!

3,320 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by OldenBear
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kqed.org/arts/13894423/flints-an-icon-of-oakland-barbecue-plots-return-to-original-location?fbclid=IwAR3GnYgauB9j0AisoICmCDv054tqEnrW8JA_A0-WhWaD_nhkwfOvX3QtO0w
pierrezo
Nice. The links were the most memorable to me. As I recall, they were pretty spicy.
HoopDreams
nice, but everett & jones is better
upsetof86
Fantastic! The late night visits there with friends to get their bbq are cherished memories.
drizzlybears brother
Respectfully disagree
drizzlybear
drizzlybears brother said:

Respectfully disagree
I can't compare, but the memories of our intramural street hockey team's Saturday ritual of heading out College Ave in the back of drizzlybearsbrothers' pickup truck (back when you could still do that legally), after a Saturday morning of wild street hockey games (aka cage match hockey-still have my gold champs shirt!) in the cage below Underhill to load up on Flint's brisket and links, and then eat in the truck bed, was among my very favorite experiences at Cal. I remember seeing Brian Hendrick (on my personal Cal hoops Mt. Rushmore) on a workout run out that way one time.

Flint's has very special association for me. Happy to hear it's returning to that location. Also it was a super cool set-up: basically a giant brick oven, a counter, and a cash register.
Civil Bear
Word on the street is the recent pop-ups have not been good. Having the original recipes is not enough - you need a true pitmaster to make it sing. Although I'm no longer a big fan of the "smothered in sauce" bbq (ala Flints, E&Js, Big Nates, Johnsons, etc), Flints brings back a lot of fond late-night memories and I'm hoping they can work out the kinks and make it work.
bearister
I'm not sure you did it right if you can remember anything....but I do remember grease soaked newspaper and the smell of BBQ sauce coming out of my pores when I arose at noon.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
SBGold
I did one of the pop ups, I was disappointed. Sauce is good, the rest was meh. I lived by the one on Shattuck in the early 90s and loved it
HoopDreams
drizzlybears brother said:

Respectfully disagree

I know flints have plenty of fans and thought it was great. Good to hear they're returning

I like Everett & Jones better. Sauce is a little sweeter with they're "hot" more like flaming burning and their "medium " much hotter than most hots

The owners also do community donations and events. For example, every Christmas they buy and wrap gifts and kids can just come by for a free present

Richmondbear2
Misleading headline, Flint's is not returning unless some unlikely scenarios are realized
calumnus
Richmondbear2 said:

Misleading headline, Flint's is not returning unless some unlikely scenarios are realized

Hmm, yes, you are right, maybe not "unlikely" but far less than certain.

Flint's is trying to return to their old location and fans can help by supporting their GoFundme.
BulaBear3cubs
I just heard about Horn BBQ in Oakland from another insider on another thread. Anyone else know anything about this spot?
SBGold
Heard it's very good, I checked into getting an order of brisket for
Pickup and didn't because it seemed pretty pricey. They had a lot of press when they opened the restaurant
philbert
SBGold said:

Pickup and didn't because it seemed pretty pricey. They had a lot of press when they opened the restaurant
There are a lot of good online reviews for Horn. The brisket is kinda pricey, but it's about the same price as other good bbq joints that I've checked out in the past. If you can get there on a Thursday, the lines aren't that bad if you get there before they open at 11am.

I need to try their burnt ends next...and their beef ribs. But definitely get the brisket if you're gonna go.
CALiforniALUM
HoopDreams said:

nice, but everett & jones is better

Which of your children do you love most?
79 Bear
philbert said:

SBGold said:

There are a lot of good online reviews for Horn. The brisket is kinda pricey, but it's about the same price as other good bbq joints that I've checked out in the past. If you can get there on a Thursday, the lines aren't that bad if you get there before they open at 11am.

I need to try their burnt ends next...and their beef ribs. But definitely get the brisket if you're gonna go.
Speaking of burnt ends, next time you are in San Jose and hankering for some bbq, try the Smoking Pig's burnt ends. Smoking Pig on Coleman next to Avaya Stadium is the better of the two locations imo.
Go!Bears
calumnus said:

Richmondbear2 said:

Hmm, yes, you are right, maybe not "unlikely" but far less than certain.

Flint's is trying to return to their old location and fans can help by supporting their GoFundme.
Why GoFundMe? Do people really want to GIVE a business it's start up capital? Doesn't KickStarter make more sense? I loved Flint's, but if I am going to give them $100, I would like dinner.
calumnus
Ruby Q in Fruitvale.

https://www.kqed.org/arts/13896380/ruby-q-smoke-fusion-barbecue-mexican-fruitvale-oakland?fbclid=IwAR3rARM8eAuxyOiuPpL0IUJnpLymeh6YPkQLDvXhWvEF23HhDcTlo2DjjU4
OldenBear
79 Bear said:

philbert said:

Speaking of burnt ends, next time you are in San Jose and hankering for some bbq, try the Smoking Pig's burnt ends. Smoking Pig on Coleman next to Avaya Stadium is the better of the two locations imo.

and Mesquite and Oak in San Jose, on Oakland Road just south of 101. I think it's better than Smoking Pig, but have to admit I haven't been to the Pig near Avaya - yet.

and yeah, can't wait unitl I can get to Horn's. (Rose Bowl/Horn's before I die!)

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.