Cal's weakest year ever?

6,874 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Fyght4Cal
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong realizes different strong bears prioritize different sports more than others. But for Cal Strong, the big three are Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball. Rugby also important, but not quite in top three.

So this seem like the weakest year ever for Cal Sports.

Football - one win. lose to stanfurd. lose axe. defense soft as baby poop. offense weak as furd morals. Terrible.

MBB - 9-20, only three conference wins. Lose twice to weak stanfurd team. At least we beat them in Pac-12 tourney.

WBB - What a nightmare. WEAK! What happened to us? Cal Strong go nuts when we make final four. That seem like centuries ago. This year we go 1-16. Can't beat Bakersfield or San Jose State. Lose to furd by scores like 72-33 and 83-38. Make weak matters weaker, stanfurd win national championship.

Rugby - no games. Weak. This would have helped.

Cal Strong feel we at low point. Cal Sports weak. What do other strong bears have to say?
Big C

Let's call 2020 Cal Football water under the bridge with extenuating circumstances and revisit the situation in six months.

We need to improve California Basketball.
calumnus
Big C said:

Let's call 2020 Cal Football water under the bridge with extenuating circumstances and revisit the situation in six months.

We need to improve California Basketball.

This Fall is huge. We have the #3 ranked recruiting class in the PAC-12 (Wilcox's previous best was #8). Musgrave needs to put out a good offense with our seniors and these highly rated freshmen. Incremental improvement over last years' #125 offense is not going to do it. Who the next QB will be is the next big question. Sirmon without DeRuyter is another test.

Basketball is in a bad state.
Cal Strong!
Cal MBB keeps saying it recovering from Wyking Jones.
Cal WBB keeps saying covid happened at terrible time because they so young.
Cal Football keeps saying it gets a pass because last year was a covid scratch.

Cal Strong notes that winning teams don't make such weak excuses.
Chabbear
Too bad that rugby can't find anyone to play.

"Even with a cautious return to training, the 2021 spring season has uncertainties. Cal will need to find other universities and rugby teams committed to a similar COVID-19 prevention and testing plan that the Bears are implementing for the potential contests to be considered safe. At this point in time, no matches have been scheduled. The soonest the team could play will likely be towards the middle of March." https://calbears.com/news/2021/2/8/cal-rugby-cautiously-returns-to-campus.aspx

AunBear89
It is very weak of Cal Strong! to confuse excuses with explanations. Be strong like Cal, not weak like snowflakes.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
Cal Strong! said:

Cal MBB keeps saying it recovering from Wyking Jones.
Cal WBB keeps saying covid happened at terrible time because they so young.
Cal Football keeps saying it gets a pass because last year was a covid scratch.

Cal Strong notes that winning teams don't make such weak excuses.

UCLA: "We lost our Final Four game because Suggs made a 40 foot banker without calling backboard!"
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Chapman_is_Gone
OP is a moron.
Cal Strong!
AunBear89 said:

It is very weak of Cal Strong! to confuse excuses with explanations. Be strong like Cal, not weak like snowflakes.
Cal Strong no hide weak excuses in weaker explanation gift wrap. Strong teams that win no need excuses. Strong teams that win no need explanations.
heartofthebear
Cal Strong! said:

AunBear89 said:

Cal Strong no hide weak excuses in weaker explanation gift wrap. Strong teams that win no need excuses. Strong teams that win no need explanations.
covid was managed differently in different counties. Berkeley was in a region with some of the harshest restrictions. Perhaps only Furd had worse restrictions. Both Furd and Cal football suffered for that. However, Furd basketball seemed to do fine regardless while Cal basketball suffered.

My conclusion is that I would give the football team, which has been a winning team under Wilcox, a mulligan while I would be looking to upgrade our basketball programs because they have failed miserably both before and during covid. under their current coaches. I think, in particular, the women's basketball program has underwhelmed despite recruiting several top players.

I am not a basketball fan and I am not close enough to the Cal program to know what is going on but something has to change.
Cal Strong!
heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

AunBear89 said:

covid was managed differently in different counties. Berkeley was in a region with some of the harshest restrictions. Perhaps only Furd had worse restrictions. Both Furd and Cal football suffered for that. However, Furd basketball seemed to do fine regardless while Cal basketball suffered.

My conclusion is that I would give the football team, which has been a winning team under Wilcox, a mulligan
stanfurd beat us in football too. They no make excuses. They just go out and get the axe. This WEAK!
Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal Strong! said:

AunBear89 said:

A Cal grad speaking to other Cal grads in pidgin English is weak.
BearoutEast67
Did anyone else see that blatant double dribble in the first minute of the championship game? Not that it mattered...
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
Cal Strong!
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Cal Strong! said:

AunBear89 said:

A Cal grad speaking to other Cal grads in pidgin English is weak.
Eastern Oregon Bear posting WEAK today!!!!

Cal grad confusing speaking with writing and prioritizing one language over other weaker still . . . like stanfurd.

Cal no confuse speaking with writing. Cal no prioritize languages. Cal not internet pervert. Cal STRONG . . . like Cal!!!!
joe amos yaks
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong realizes different strong bears prioritize different sports more than others. But for Cal Strong, the big three are Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball. Rugby also important, but not quite in top three.

So this seem like the weakest year ever for Cal Sports.

Football - one win. lose to stanfurd. lose axe. defense soft as baby poop. offense weak as furd morals. Terrible.

MBB - 9-20, only three conference wins. Lose twice to weak stanfurd team. At least we beat them in Pac-12 tourney.

WBB - What a nightmare. WEAK! What happened to us? Cal Strong go nuts when we make final four. That seem like centuries ago. This year we go 1-16. Can't beat Bakersfield or San Jose State. Lose to furd by scores like 72-33 and 83-38. Make weak matters weaker, stanfurd win national championship.

Rugby - no games. Weak. This would have helped.

Cal Strong feel we at low point. Cal Sports weak. What do other strong bears have to say?

We grow. Become strong like CALvin.
CAL STRONG. Be like CALvin.
Eat more fava and thrive.
01Bear
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Cal's women basketball team suffer from some severe season ending injuries to a couple of its top players early in the season? Not to mention losing its starting 2 guard before the season even started? Or is that considered making excuses? It can't possibly be that missing some of its best players led to Cal not being as competitive as those teams who fielded teams with healthy star players.

Say what you want about the football team or the men's basketball team last year, but the women's basketball team scrapped and fought. The results may not have been the optimal, but the women represented Cal's indomitable fighting spirit well. Sure, the women's basketball team was regularly outclassed and got its teeth kicked in repeatedly, but it never quit. I, for one, am darn proud of the women's team.

That said, I do not want to see the women's team so beat up again next year, or ever again. The question needs to be asked whether Charmin Smith is the right person to be Cal's head coach. She had a good recruiting class last year, where Cal was ranked #7 nationally (but third in the Pac-12 behind Stanfurd and Oregon). Whether she can coach up her recruits remains to be seen. How well she integrates the players who were out this year, due to injury, is also in question. I'm optimistic, though.
heartofthebear
Cal Strong! said:

heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

AunBear89 said:

My conclusion is that I would give the football team, which has been a winning team under Wilcox, a mulligan
stanfurd beat us in football too. They no make excuses. They just go out and get the axe. This WEAK!
Furd didn't beat us. In that game, we beat ourselves. Furd had a down year for football. I believe Colorado beat them in Palo Alto. And I'm sure they are making excuses for that one. In fact, how do you know who is making excuses and who isn't.
AunBear89
For many he-man manly men sports bros, the world is strictly binary. To them, you either take your loss "like a man" or you are making excuses.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Cal Strong!
heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

AunBear89 said:

Furd didn't beat us. In that game, we beat ourselves. Furd had a down year for football. I believe Colorado beat them in Palo Alto. And I'm sure they are making excuses for that one. In fact, how do you know who is making excuses and who isn't.
That just show how weak we were last year. We lose to weak furd team.
Fyght4Cal
01Bear said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Cal's women basketball team suffer from some severe season ending injuries to a couple of its top players early in the season? Not to mention losing its starting 2 guard before the season even started? Or is that considered making excuses? It can't possibly be that missing some of its best players led to Cal not being as competitive as those teams who fielded teams with healthy star players.

Say what you want about the football team or the men's basketball team last year, but the women's basketball team scrapped and fought. The results may not have been the optimal, but the women represented Cal's indomitable fighting spirit well. Sure, the women's basketball team was regularly outclassed and got its teeth kicked in repeatedly, but it never quit. I, for one, am darn proud of the women's team.

That said, I do not want to see the women's team so beat up again next year, or ever again. The question needs to be asked whether Charmin Smith is the right person to be Cal's head coach. She had a good recruiting class last year, where Cal was ranked #7 nationally (but third in the Pac-12 behind Stanfurd and Oregon). Whether she can coach up her recruits remains to be seen. How well she integrates the players who were out this year, due to injury, is also in question. I'm optimistic, though.
There is no question that Charmin Smith is the right coach at the right time for Cal WBB. Despite losing 3 scholarship guards, WBB exemplified 'The Bear will not quit, the Bear will not die' maxim. That tough, never say die attitude came from the top.

Charmin's first recruiting class ranked 3rd in the best conference in the nation, in front of 4 NCAA tourney teams, and just behind the eventual National Champions :vomit and a Sweet Sixteen team. So, we know she can recruit.

Although saddened by the veteran players who left the program, I'm psyched up about all of these young, battle-tested Bears. They experienced firsthand what it takes to win against the best of the best.

As for integrating players, look at how she brought in Mia Mastrov from high school, mid-season. Mia came in cold and quickly found a place in the offense. That takes tremendous effort from both the player and the coach.

The great results from the S&C program reflects the team's work ethic & commitment to improving. In the zoom Senior Day event, our bigs confirmed that they put on significant muscle before and during the season. They certainly looked bigger and stronger at the end of the year.

Suffice it to say, if the question is whether I'm all in with our WBB team, the answer is, I'm bullish on the Bears.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
01Bear
Fyght4Cal said:

01Bear said:

There is no question that Charmin Smith is the right coach at the right time for Cal WBB. Despite losing 3 scholarship guards, WBB exemplified 'The Bear will not quit, the Bear will not die' maxim. That tough, never say die attitude came from the top.

Charmin's first recruiting class ranked 3rd in the best conference in the nation, in front of 4 NCAA tourney teams, and just behind the eventual National Champions :vomit and a Sweet Sixteen team. So, we know she can recruit.

Although saddened by the veteran players who left the program, I'm psyched up about all of these young, battle-tested Bears. They experienced firsthand what it takes to win against the best of the best.

As for integrating players, look at how she brought in Mia Mastrov from high school, mid-season. Mia came in cold and quickly found a place in the offense. That takes tremendous effort from both the player and the coach.

The great results from the S&C program reflects the team's work ethic & commitment to improving. In the zoom Senior Day event, our bigs confirmed that they put on significant muscle before and during the season. They certainly looked bigger and stronger at the end of the year.

Suffice it to say, if the question is whether I'm all in with our WBB team, the answer is, I'm bullish on the Bears.

You'll hear no disagreement from me! I'm also bullish on the Bears and Coach Smith. I am so proud of how hard they fought this past year. I absolutely agree that they exemplified the will of the Golden Bear, they didn't quit nor did they die.

Go Bears!
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong love women's basketball. But 1-16 is 1-16. It hard to wrap weakness in strong wrapping paper and fool too many strong people. It also hard to believe Boyle or Gottlieb would go 1-16, even with injuries.

Cal Strong no claim to be strong expert on Smith. He hope she strong enough that we win national championship and make furd weep tears of desolation every year. But Cal Strong no see evidence of that strong trajectory.
heartofthebear
Cal Strong! said:

heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

AunBear89 said:

Our STs cost us 2 games last season. There is no mystery or denial about that. And it was weak. It is not characteristic of the program as a whole and it is being dealt with.
Cal Strong!
heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong! said:

AunBear89 said:

Our STs cost us 2 games last season. There is no mystery or denial about that. And it was weak. It is not characteristic of the program as a whole and it is being dealt with.
Cal Strong strongly hope so. Strong post heartofthebear!
sonofabear51
Agreed. furd blocked the PAT attempt with around 1 minute left in the 4Q that would have tied the game. They totally overloaded one side and blew thru the line. This should never happen again. Glad to hear its being taken care of. Cal is better than that.
Cal Strong!
sonofabear51 said:

Agreed. furd blocked the PAT attempt with around 1 minute left in the 4Q that would have tied the game. They totally overloaded one side and blew thru the line. This should never happen again. Glad to hear its being taken care of. Cal is better than that.
Cal Strong want to know -- how it "being taken care of?" There have been no changes in special team coach.

You lose Big Game because of position coaching screw up, that coach have to get fired.
Fyght4Cal
Cal Strong! said:

sonofabear51 said:

Cal Strong want to know -- how it "being taken care of?" There have been no changes in special team coach.

You lose Big Game because of position coaching screw up, that coach have to get fired.
While I'm a big fan of Ragle the recruiter, I think his ST tenure has been a disaster. I, too, wonder how Wilcox is addressing the ST situation.
wifeisafurd
Fyght4Cal said:

Cal Strong! said:

sonofabear51 said:

While I'm a big fan of Ragle the recruiter, I think his ST tenure has been a disaster. I, too, wonder how Wilcox is addressing the ST situation.
He hired a TE coach who has significant experience in special teams, and is helping out. One the more interesting things abut the coaching staff assembled by Wilcox is there is a lot of overlap. For example Heyward will be at times coaching certain DBs in defined roles, as well as OLBs, and Browning coaching certain OLBs when they line-up on the line. Sirmon also will be coaching certain players in certain formations who are not ILBs. There also some overlap occurring on offense, but less so that the defense. But several of the coaches are in "more than one room."
Fyght4Cal
wifeisafurd said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Cal Strong! said:

sonofabear51 said:

He hired a TE coach who has significant experience in special teams, and is helping out. One the more interesting things abut the coaching staff assembled by Wilcox is there is a lot of overlap. For example Heyward will be at times coaching certain DBs in defined roles, as well as OLBs, and Browning coaching certain OLBs when they line-up on the line. Sirmon also will be coaching certain players in certain formations who are not ILBs. There also some overlap occurring on offense, but less so that the defense. But several of the coaches are in "more than one room."
Thanks WIAF. Let's hope this turns the situation around.
Cal Strong!
wifeisafurd said:

Cal Strong wish there was some "overlap" on the line of scrimmage during that PAT.
heartofthebear
Cal Strong! said:

sonofabear51 said:

The punter was dropping the ball too low before kicking it and it allowed for blocked punts. That has been observed and commented on. I trust it is being addressed.

While Rags coaching is questionable at times, his recruiting is off the charts. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. Rags has been a stand-up guy and highly motivated. He doesn't make excuses and takes responsibility for problems. He is exactly the kind of Cal Strong guy you keep asking for.

Firing a guy who is strong overall just because he is weak in some areas is an overall weak thing to do. I expect him to improve.

One of the main ways a program gets weakened is by compulsively firing and hiring people every year. That creates instability in the program. Cal already has had a great deal of turnover from last season. So it is best not to expand that any more this season.

Baldwin had 3 years. Rags had a bad year last year. Lets give him at least 2021 before we call for his head.

You should know that I have expressed concern that Cal is too enamored with Australian style punting. I don't think it has really worked for Cal as much as the old school guys like Bryan Anger and others have in the past. And I don't know why it has become a 100% cross over rather than a diversification. I'm okay with an Australian style guy here or there. But we have not had a regular punter in quite some time now.

I know why we like the Australian style. It is to reduce the chance of a run back. But I think that is weak.
Big C
Fyght4Cal said:

wifeisafurd said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Cal Strong! said:

sonofabear51 said:

Thanks WIAF. Let's hope this turns the situation around.

Yeah, let's hope. Sometimes, it's a matter of just not prioritizing enough practice time for ST, which of course comes straight from the top. Allocation of personnel, too. Let last season be a wake-up call!
RichyBear
1961 was maybe Cal's weakest year.
in 1961 Men's Basketball finished 8-17, 2-10 in the League. This was 2 years after playing in the national championship game, and 3 years after being the national champions.
Cal football finished 1 win, 8 loses, and 1 tie. The funny thing was after the win (against Washington which won the previous 2 RoseBowls) many at the game (even me) thought Cal was going to the RoseBowl that year. Some left the stadium chanting 'WE SMELL ROSES'.
Cal Strong!
heartofthebear said:

The punter was dropping the ball too low before kicking it and it allowed for blocked punts. That has been observed and commented on. I trust it is being addressed.

While Rags coaching is questionable at times, his recruiting is off the charts. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. Rags has been a stand-up guy and highly motivated. He doesn't make excuses and takes responsibility for problems. He is exactly the kind of Cal Strong guy you keep asking for.

Firing a guy who is strong overall just because he is weak in some areas is an overall weak thing to do. I expect him to improve.

One of the main ways a program gets weakened is by compulsively firing and hiring people every year. That creates instability in the program. Cal already has had a great deal of turnover from last season. So it is best not to expand that any more this season.

Baldwin had 3 years. Rags had a bad year last year. Lets give him at least 2021 before we call for his head.

You should know that I have expressed concern that Cal is too enamored with Australian style punting. I don't think it has really worked for Cal as much as the old school guys like Bryan Anger and others have in the past. And I don't know why it has become a 100% cross over rather than a diversification. I'm okay with an Australian style guy here or there. But we have not had a regular punter in quite some time now.

I know why we like the Australian style. It is to reduce the chance of a run back. But I think that is weak.
Cal Strong disagree with Heart of the Bear. It true that sometimes you need to give coaches time to develop. But losing a Big Game never acceptable due to something like this. Working kinks out against UC Davis or Washington State frustrating, but understandable. Not knowing how to block a PAT and losing to furd for this reason WEAK. Weak coaches shouldn't coach at Cal.

Rags has had 4 years. If 3 was enough for Baldwin, then why is 4 not enough for Rags?

What frustrate Cal Strong the most is that head coaches who are not Cal alumni always treat furd like "just another game." But Big Game isn't just another game. Humiliating stanfurd is the primary reason we have a football program. So if you lose the Big Game because you couldn't block a PAT, then someone's head needs to roll.

Stanfurd isn't just another game. Preparing to beat furd is the most important thing a Cal coach will do all year. If you screw it up, then you need to find another job.
Big C
Cal Strong! said:

heartofthebear said:

Cal Strong disagree with Heart of the Bear. It true that sometimes you need to give coaches time to develop. But losing a Big Game never acceptable due to something like this. Working kinks out against UC Davis or Washington State frustrating, but understandable. Not knowing how to block a PAT and losing to furd for this reason WEAK. Weak coaches shouldn't coach at Cal.

Rags has had 4 years. If 3 was enough for Baldwin, then why is 4 not enough for Rags?

What frustrate Cal Strong the most is that head coaches who are not Cal alumni always treat furd like "just another game." But Big Game isn't just another game. Humiliating stanfurd is the primary reason we have a football program. So if you lose the Big Game because you couldn't block a PAT, then someone's head needs to roll.

Stanfurd isn't just another game. Preparing to beat furd is the most important thing a Cal coach will do all year. If you screw it up, then you need to find another job.

Cal Strong posting STRONG this evening!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.