LV Raiders' Carl Nassib becomes the first openly gay active NFL player

2,742 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sycasey
Fyght4Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/21/sports/football/carl-nassib-gay-nfl.html?referringSource=articleShare

Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
LateHit
So much for the presumption that the first guy to do this would have to a star.
Good for him.
okaydo
LateHit said:

Good for him.

Well, he is a Hard Knocks star.

(Hard Knocks is currently trending on Twitter.)

Big C
LateHit said:

Good for him.

Good for him, indeed. Takes courage. One day it won't be that big of a deal.

I haven't followed his career: Is he good enough to where he has a fairly secure spot on the roster? Because I had to dig deep to remember the name Michael Sam and that wasn't too long ago. Best of luck to Carl Nassib.
okaydo
Big C said:

LateHit said:

Good for him.

I haven't followed his career: Is he good enough to where he has a fairly secure spot on the roster?

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/19/raiders-plan-to-restructure-contract-of-de-carl-nassib/
bluehenbear
He didn't let them in on the secret bank that gives 10% interest on 100k?
BearForce2
Big C said:

LateHit said:

Good for him.

I haven't followed his career: Is he good enough to where he has a fairly secure spot on the roster? Because I had to dig deep to remember the name Michael Sam and that wasn't too long ago. Best of luck to Carl Nassib.

Who's turning this thing into a big deal? He said he played with other gay teammates before, does that make them cowards since they didn't come out? I don't think it's anyone's business and most people don't really care.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
okaydo
Wow, what a difference 7 years makes.
Big C
BearForce2 said:

Big C said:

LateHit said:

Good for him.

Who's turning this thing into a big deal? He said he played with other gay teammates before, does that make them cowards since they didn't come out? I don't think it's anyone's business and most people don't really care.

1. Most people agree that it's a big deal that he came out, because he was the first player on an NFL roster to do so. I mean, it made the news. Another barrier broken. That he is gay isn't a big deal.

2. Others who haven't come out cowards? No.

3. His sexual preferences other people's business? No.

4. Most people don't care? Correct. We're making progress. Glad you and I agree... again (even if less than 1/2 the time).

Chapman_is_Gone
BearForce2 said:

Big C said:

LateHit said:

Good for him.

BF2, I'm not saying you're homophobicbut your response is exactly what homophobes always write when someone prominent comes out. It IS a big deal, and it wouldn't be on the front page of ESPN.com if it wasn't a big deal. Of course, we all hope it gets to the point that it's truly not a big deal. But as it is, you have plenty of players and fans still today with redneck views. The black community in particular is very homophobic. Many people have a lot of growing up to do.
upsetof86
okaydo said:

LateHit said:

Good for him.

Well, he is a Hard Knocks star.

(Hard Knocks is currently trending on Twitter.)

What bank pays 10%?
BearForce2
Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearForce2 said:

Big C said:

LateHit said:

Good for him.

BF2, I'm not saying you're homophobicbut your response is exactly what homophobes always write when someone prominent comes out. It IS a big deal, and it wouldn't be on the front page of ESPN.com if it wasn't a big deal. Of course, we all hope it gets to the point that it's truly not a big deal. But as it is, you have plenty of players and fans still today with redneck views. The black community in particular is very homophobic. Many people have a lot of growing up to do.

C'mon man, I'm sure you're a good guy and all but the next time you make an attempt at virtue signaling, try not to attack another group of people, like the black community for example......Anyways, you may get your values from what corporations put on their website like ESPN but I don't, it doesn't make me better, just different. I don't know Carl Nassib and I'm not a Raider fan but I wish him the the best. I'm also confident if he happened to have voted for Trump or was politically outspoken with conservative views, ESPN/ABC/Disney would lose interest in him as quickly as they are losing viewership.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2
Big C said:

BearForce2 said:

Big C said:

LateHit said:

Good for him.

1. Most people agree that it's a big deal that he came out, because he was the first player on an NFL roster to do so. I mean, it made the news. Another barrier broken. That he is gay isn't a big deal.

4. Most people don't care? Correct. We're making progress. Glad you and I agree... again (even if less than 1/2 the time).

You're right, we agree half the time and agree to disagree on the rest, I suppose.
Chapman_is_Gone
BearForce2 said:

C'mon man, I'm sure you're a good guy and all but the next time you make an attempt at virtue signaling, try not to attack another group of people, like the black community for example......Anyways, you may get your values from what corporations put on their website like ESPN but I don't, it doesn't make me better, just different. I don't know Carl Nassib and I'm not a Raider fan but I wish him the the best. I'm also confident if he happened to have voted for Trump or was politically outspoken with conservative views, ESPN/ABC/Disney would lose interest in him as quickly as they are losing viewership.
I'm afraid I don't understand enough of the points you're making above to respond. I despise politics, people who enjoy politics as entertainment, and 24/7 news. Anyone mentioning "Trump" for whatever reason causes me to check out mentally -- I just have no interest. I don't really see how what I wrote is "virtue signaling" -- at least what I understand that term to mean. I repeat my belief that the first legitimate gay player coming out in the NFL is a big deal. If you disagree with that, then we simply disagree.

It's probably best we just drop the topic.
sycasey
I do take the overall muted public response as a sign of progress (if this had happened 15 years ago I think there would have been much more hoopla). It's still an important story, by virtue of the fact that no one had done this before in this sport.

If you chat with BearForce2 long enough on the OT board, you'll find that his basic orientation is "conservatives good, liberals bad" and he sees everything through that lens. His take here is not surprising.
BearForce2
Chapman_is_Gone said:

BearForce2 said:

Big C said:

LateHit said:

Good for him.

There's enough room out there to think that Carl Nassib coming out as gay isn't a big deal without being called homophobic. I don't mind agreeing to disagree. However, since you don't know me, it's disingenuous to say "I don't think you're homophobic but your response is exactly what homophobes would say."

Quote:

But as it is, you have plenty of players and fans still today with redneck views. The black community in particular is very homophobic

On the other hand, your statement above strikes me as racist. Is there data out there that blacks are particularly more homophobic than any other community?
BearForce2
sycasey said:

If you chat with BearForce2 long enough on the OT board, you'll find that his basic orientation is "conservatives good, liberals bad" and he sees everything through that lens. His take here is not surprising.

If you chat with Sycasey long enough on the OT board, you'll find that his basic orientation is "liberals good, conservatives bad" and he sees everything through that lens. His take here is not surprising.

Anyways, there are only a handful of true liberals on the OT board, we need more of them around, the rest are radical leftists.
calumnus
Big C said:

BearForce2 said:

Big C said:

LateHit said:

Good for him.

Well said
calumnus
sycasey said:

I do take the overall muted public response as a sign of progress (if this had happened 15 years ago I think there would have been much more hoopla). It's still an important story, by virtue of the fact that no one had done this before in this sport.

25 years ago, you could be legally kicked out of the military if it was discovered that you were gay. It was considered progress that Clinton promoted "Don't ask, don't tell." However if you did "tell" (invite your partner to an event) you could still be kicked out. Clinton also signed the Republican authored and passed "Defense of Marriage Acr" (banning individual states from recognizing same sex marriage) into law. Even Obama entered office opposed to marriage equality. Now that it has been a fact of life 70% of Americans support marriage equality, including 55% of Republicans. The landscape has changed.
sycasey
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

If you chat with Sycasey long enough on the OT board, you'll find that his basic orientation is "liberals good, conservatives bad" and he sees everything through that lens. His take here is not surprising.
I certainly do think modern conservative politics are terrible, but I think it's pretty clear who on this board tries to insert his politics into every discussion, and it ain't me.
okaydo
sycasey said:

I don't see the muted response as a sign of progress...I would argue that 2021 is a lot different from 2014 when Michael Sam came out. But the "who cares?" and "what you do in your bedroom" line of thought reaction to Nassib's coming out perpetuates the homophobia. Because the people who say those things *do* care. They think being gay is something you do in the privacy of your home. They are trying to argue that homophobia is no longer existent.

A Sports Illustrated writer noted that only 2 famous NFL players publicly reacted to the news on the day he announced: JJ Watt and Nassib's fellow Penn State alum Saquon Barkley. I think that is significant. (Derek Carr expressed his support the next day.)

Also, Nassib's coming out is historic because he's the first active player. But the thing that he is breaking ground on its hasn't yet been done: As I noted on the other forum, an openly gay player has never played in the NFL in the regular season. Until that happens, I would hold your horses in regard to progress being made.
sycasey
okaydo said:

sycasey said:

I don't see the muted response as a sign of progress...I would argue that 2021 is a lot different from 2014 when Michael Sam came out. But the "who cares?" and "what you do in your bedroom" line of thought reaction to Nassib's coming out perpetuates the homophobia. Because the people who say those things *do* care. They think being gay is something you do in the privacy of your home. They are trying to argue that homophobia is no longer existent.

The fact that those people feel the need to hold their tongues on this means that our society's attitude towards homosexuality has tilted very strongly towards acceptance and tolerance, relative to where it was even in Michael Sam's day. Used to be that if you were against the gays you just said so. Now it's receded to "Who cares?"

Yes, I think that's progress and I'll stand by that. That doesn't mean I think everything is perfect, just better than it was.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.