Can we salvage at least a "feel good" season by going 3-0 against...

4,540 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TheFiatLux
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
USC, UC Los Angeles and Stanfurd. At least get that in-state sweep for the first time in 70 years?

Throw the Arizona game in front of those three and finishing out w 4 wins including that California sweep would at least feel good going into next year.
Troll On You Bears
No
Strykur
Would it turn off the hot seat for a while? Sure.

Is it gonna happen? Not sure after tonight.
Golden One
TheFiatLux said:

USC, UC Los Angeles and Stanfurd. At least get that in-state sweep for the first time in 70 years?

Throw the Arizona game in front of those three and finishing out w 4 wins including that California sweep would at least feel good going into next year.
Absolutely no chance of that happening with this team and this horrible coaching staff.
TheFiatLux
Strykur said:

Would it turn off the hot seat for a while? Sure.

Is it gonna happen? Not sure after tonight.
It hasn't happened in 70 years. Think about that. We have not swept the California teams in 70 frickin years. So, safe bet it won't happen this year, and I guess i would rather it happen when it means something.
calumnus
TheFiatLux said:

Arizona and Colorado. Finish 6-6 with the Axe and then at long last we get a Chezit Bowl trophy! 7-6! Winning conference record too.
wifeisafurd
This team has the ability to probably win those games this year (the in state schools are all vulnerable) with a better coaching staff and a QB that could execute under pressure.
71Bear
TheFiatLux said:

Actually, 63 years. The last time was 1958, the Rose Bowl season.

BearlyAnotherBear
Not lookin good for that, dawg.
Big C
TheFiatLux said:

Hell yes! Look, folks, I'm as pissed off as anybody, but wins are wins are wins and I'd love to get some more this year, especially the Big Game.

Take tonight: It became obvious after Wash. St that we weren't going anywhere this season, but tonight in the second half, I found myself REALLY wanting this win. Wins are good.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

TheFiatLux said:

Hell yes! Look, folks, I'm as pissed off as anybody, but wins are wins are wins and I'd love to get some more this year, especially the Big Game.

Take tonight: It became obvious after Wash. St that we weren't going anywhere this season, but tonight in the second half, I found myself REALLY wanting this win. Wins are good.

Also losses are bad. 1-5 should get one fired.
Strykur
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

TheFiatLux said:

Record since last year is 2-8. We're close to last year Tedford bad, and almost 2013/2001 bad.
Cal Strong!
Strykur said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

TheFiatLux said:

Record since last year is 2-8. We're close to last year Tedford bad, and almost 2013/2001 bad.
Cal Strong don't see us winning more than 2 games this year. That far worse than it was under Tedford, even in his last year.

Of course, Cal Strong has always said it should be illegal to fire a Cal HC in the same year he beats stanfurd. So as far as Cal Strong is concerned, that is the only way Wilcox saves his job.
SBGold
Just win the Big Game, that's all I ask now
upsetof86
SBGold said:

Just win the Big Game, that's all I ask now

This should be one of any Cal HCs KPIs, this and vs UCLA, in the contract. I am serious. Infrastructure matters and these 2 rivals are relevant peers in that respect in my opinion.
heartofthebear
calumnus said:

TheFiatLux said:

Arizona and Colorado. Finish 6-6 with the Axe and then at long last we get a Chezit Bowl trophy! 7-6! Winning conference record too.
I think UCLA is going to be the problem unless they run into injury problems. I am encouraged by what I saw last night, particularly the ability to drive the length of the field late and the fact that Garbers had some zip on his throws. His accuracy seems to have improved. It would help, however, if Garbers would throw an accurate screen pass and hit open guys downfield.
pasadenaorbust
TheFiatLux said:

Wow...I must have missed that one somehow...70 years without beating those three in the same season. Throw that in with 71 years without starting a season with six wins in a row...63 years no Rose Bowl and 84 without a win in the same...and Cal is just a benchmark hall of fame.
pasadenaorbust
71Bear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Only 63 years...that'll make that stat look much better now that 70.
Finnish Oski
The Bears have only swept Stanfurd, U$C and UCLA six times. The last was in 1958 (63 years ago, not 70). They also did in the following Rose Bowl years: '48,'49, '50 and '37 plus one non Rose Bowl season '41. In 1941 the Bears swept their three rivals but won only one other game (vs. St. Marys). Eighty years later it's time to do it again.
82gradDLSdad
I'm encouraged by last night like I was encouraged by Steve DeBerg. It wasn't until Montana replaced him, and good rookies replaced others, that I realized my encouragement was actually delusion.
LunchTime
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

TheFiatLux said:

Cal would be in a wildly better place right now if we cut Dykes after losing 11 games. Imagine setting the standard 10 years ago that 1 win seasons were unacceptable, rebuilding or not.
72CalBear
Of course I would like to finish off with those wins, but "feel good" seasons left me in high school.
dimitrig
TheFiatLux said:

Rushinbear
TheFiatLux said:

If we beat CU, OSU and UA, we will beat SC. Then Furd would be a toss-up and UCLA a mild upset (if those new rb's of theirs are still on their feet, we won't).
eabandit
guys we can still turn this into an 8-5 season, am I right or am I right?
JSC 76
eabandit said:

That's the weird thing: Oregon was the toughest opponent on the schedule, and we came a few yards short of an upset. There's nobody remaining that we can't beat...theoretically.
HearstMining
Golden One said:

TheFiatLux said:

Absolutely no chance of that happening with this team and this horrible coaching staff.
Queue the inspirational speech:

TandemBear
TheFiatLux said:

Pass that bong, bro! You HIGH as a kite!

Edit: Then again, this IS Cal. So they'd obviously pick a total throw-away season to do this. When it means absolutely NOTHING, Cal would pull it off. TypiCal.
82gradDLSdad
TandemBear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Pass that bong, bro! You HIGH as a kite!

Edit: Then again, this IS Cal. So they'd obviously pick a total throw-away season to do this. When it means absolutely NOTHING, Cal would pull it off. TypiCal.

The one bright spot: we ain't doing this.
oskidunker
First beat Colorado.
Go Bears!
calumnus
JSC 76 said:

eabandit said:

That's the weird thing: Oregon was the toughest opponent on the schedule, and we came a few yards short of an upset. There's nobody remaining that we can't beat...theoretically.

Agreed. Though UW beat us and their only other win is 1-5 Arkansas State. Montana beat UW but we couldn't. Sac State scored 30 on us. Thus, while we can beat any team remaining on our schedule, we can also lose to any team remaining on our schedule.

Beating Colorado would be a good start.
TheFiatLux
pasadenaorbust said:

71Bear said:

TheFiatLux said:

Only 63 years...that'll make that stat look much better now that 70.
Check back in 2028 :-)
going4roses
For the players and program moving forward it would be great.

Go 1-0 this weekend.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
BearForce2
calumnus said:

TheFiatLux said:

6-6, Axe, and Cheez-It Bowl trophy sounds pretty good right about now.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
heartofthebear
JSC 76 said:

eabandit said:

Heck we're 7-7, Cal's beaten Cal ever weak for as far back as I can remember.

No bad penalties, no turnovers and no muffed or blocked kicks and no missed opportunities would be nice. I can't remember the last time Cal played like that.

But essentially Cal's problem is 1st and goal. If Cal can get the red zone monkey off it's back (are you listening OL?), then we can beat anybody.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.