I hope Garber is doing well in school.......

4,070 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by calumnus
Trumpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He will not make it in the NFL. It's disappointing to see this young man's digression especially since he's a "super senior". The under/over thrown passes just can't happen when you been playing college ball for almost 6 years. I believe Oregon's QB was younger and made way better throws. It's a shame Wilcox job depends on this kind of performance.
stanfurdbites
His inaccuracy is mind boggling. He throws the worst deep ball and balls on the run I've ever seen. Him and Jimmy G must have the same QB coach or something
BerlinerBaer
* Garbers

* regression

* Wilcox's
pasadenaorbust
stanfurdbites said:

His inaccuracy is mind boggling. He throws the worst deep ball and balls on the run I've ever seen. Him and Jimmy G must have the same QB coach or something
Hmmmm..."worst deep balls on the run". That there...I believe...just might be considered a Cal oxymoron.
59bear
Trumpanzee said:

He will not make it in the NFL. It's disappointing to see this young man's digression especially since he's a "super senior". The under/over thrown passes just can't happen when you been playing college ball for almost 6 years. I believe Oregon's QB was younger and made way better throws. It's a shame Wilcox job depends on this kind of performance.

Did anyone ever see him as a likely NFL QB? Our problems this year, WSU game aside, haven't stemmed from Garbers' play. The regression on defense, IMHO, is our biggest problem followed by so-so OL play that struggles in pass protection and rarely sustains continuity in the run game. This team has no margin for error and, although they played the best D I've seen from them all year, they were beaten by an athletically superior team on the road. I think they played about as well as they're capable of last night. If Wilcox has failed to get over the hump, it is more due to recruiting than coaching what talent he does have.
heartofthebear
Garbers can make all the throws and make all the decisions but he has to want it. He has to focus so that he is consistent. He's just disinterested in making every play. It's a mental problem. You can see it on the field.

Would he be more interested in the NFL? probably. And he'd have better coaching.

But he needs to improve his vision. He fails to see the receiver who is wide open.
He should know where his receivers are at this point but he doesn't.
Several times he was not on the same page as his receivers last night.
I don't know if this is his problem or the receiver unit but these are mental and coaching issues that he can improve on if he makes the effort.

What I see in Garbers is lack of effort unless he is pushed to late in the game by the situation. If Cal is up by 7 points, he relaxes and losses focus. This is why Cal plays down to the competition.

Can Garbers change for the NFL? Probably
Will he? probably not.
Bobodeluxe
Garbers is the best player on an offense which has no All (weak)PAC12 representation.
concernedparent
59bear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Did anyone ever see him as a likely NFL QB? Our problems this year, WSU game aside, haven't stemmed from Garbers' play. The regression on defense, IMHO, is our biggest problem followed by so-so OL play that struggles in pass protection and rarely sustains continuity in the run game. This team has no margin for error and, although they played the best D I've seen from them all year, they were beaten by an athletically superior team on the road. I think they played about as well as they're capable of last night. If Wilcox has failed to get over the hump, it is more due to recruiting than coaching what talent he does have.
I think the potential was there after his soph season. He was never going to be a first half pick because he has a weak arm, but a draftable QB 2 "game manager" type was possible. He has size, running ability, made good decisions (2019), reasonable accuracy, and was young enough to expect improvement. Unfortunately that never materialized.
HoopDreams
Garbers is a good college QB from his junior year onwards

But he was never going to be a NFL QB

Not enough arm strength
Not accurate enough
No big enough
Not clutch enough
Even is best feature (running) won't work in the NFL because he is not durable enough

Not a knock on Garbers, as few QBs are good enough for the NFL
eabandit

i think Garbers has a fantastic attitude, has shown physical strength improvements over the years, can rush effectively, is a decent game manager.

agree he needs better vision, needs to click better with his receivers (he often misses wide open guys), needs a much faster release, and needs to be better with rolling out of the pocket. i think his deficiencies would be improved with a great QB coach (and OL) but his fundamentals are largely there.

not sure what his plans are for after college but i'd LOVE to see him successful. either continuing somehow in the sporting world or as a player. while unlikely, i would be very happy if he exceeded expectations and somehow landed playing as an NFL QB. how great would it be to have three Cal QBs in the NFL?
71Bear
Trumpanzee said:

He is not a "super senior". He is a redshirt senior. Next year, should he choose to return, he will be a "super senior".

As for the NFL, he has never been a prospect. This year's play has not changed that either way.
Trumpanzee
Should have converted him to RB earlier in his career.
dimitrig

He also shows an unwillingness to stay in the pocket and make a throw as if he is afraid to take a hit.

When the pocket collapses quickly (as it often does with our crappy OL) he stops what he is doing and starts running.

Yes, that is part of the lack of "quick release."

He just doesn't seem to know the routes his receivers will be running. A good QB doesn't even need to see them. It can be a timing pattern. Just throw the ball where they will be. He is not good about leading his receivers.

I think he is so afraid of turning the ball over that he spends too long looking downfield and by then the defense is in his face.

We can win with a QB like him, but then we need to be a team that runs the ball a lot more often. That last series against Oregon was painful to watch.

GoOskie
Garbers reminds me of Ayoob.
UrsineMaximus
If he still harbor's visions of playing in the League, then he would have to come back for an additional year either at Cal or somewhere else. Whomever his "advisors" are should be advising him to forget about the League. In turn, Cal coaches (Wilcox) should make it clear, "we don't have a spot for you next year here at Cal".

Why Wilcox would risk another year with Garbers as his sole QB during his tenure at Cal would be flat out stupid. Either way Cal needs a complete overhaul at QB and OL. It is hard to accept how terrible the OL has been for so many years!!
chazzed
I hope you did well in school, because anybody who expected Garbers to play in the NFL is out of touch with reality.
eabandit
dimitrig said:

I think he is so afraid of turning the ball over that he spends too long looking downfield and by then the defense is in his face.

yeah, i think after the cheez-it bowl fiasco he became deathly afraid of turnovers
4thGenCal
HoopDreams said:

Not enough arm strength
Not accurate enough
No big enough
Not clutch enough
Even is best feature (running) won't work in the NFL because he is not durable enough

Finally an objective critique of Garbers! He is a good College QB - will be the #1 rushing QB in Cal History and top 10 in total passing yards! That is impressive and too many negative comments from many who don't understand the limitations a QB faces with an average at best Oline, below average speed and lack of physical abilities with his receivers. Yes he is inconsistent on some short throws and over throws some deep balls, but also his sterling play avoiding some rushes, his 4th down amazing shovel pass to keep the late drive going illustrates his athleticism. Cal is not losing because of poor QB play, its a team game and special teams play earlier, coupled with poor secondary coverage contributed to 3 losses. Personally I hope he will return next season as the players behind him are no where close to his ability. He is not a NFL prospect, but very few are - Garbers is a solid QB not "very good", but good enough to lead his team to victories if the entire team plays to its potential. Btw the local Stanford HC whom I spoke with last season, was very impressed with Garbers play. Those in the know, are supportive of his play.
LunchTime
The constant dumping on garbers on this board shows how little value most posters have to add.

The offense has been horrendous every year under Wilcox. This is like blaming a linebacker for Dykes' defense.

It's not the players. It's the coaching. The people blaming individuals for an institutional failure are the kind of people who think a COVID is the symptom of the fever. Level 0 thinkers.
82gradDLSdad
LunchTime said:

The constant dumping on garbers on this board shows how little value most posters have to add.

The offense has been horrendous every year under Wilcox. This is like blaming a linebacker for Dykes' defense.

It's not the players. It's the coaching. The people blaming individuals for an institutional failure are the kind of people who think a COVID is the symptom of the fever. Level 0 thinkers.

I agree with you. In another post I equated this team with the team Tedford took over. One win with Holmoe, 7-5 under Tedford. Coaching matters... a lot.
71Bear
LunchTime said:

To state it is not the players is ridiculous. As a team, Cal lacks the talent to consistently play at a level necessary to win the P12. This problem is exacerbated by poor coaching. In other words, it is not either coaching or the players, it is a combination of the two. They coaches are not consistently putting the players in a position to succeed and on those occasions when the play calling is good, the players are not consistently executing the calls.
72CalBear
59bear said:

Trumpanzee said:

For all that has been written, I believe this to be true. Pass D, no OL consistency. Oregon's talent paid off in the end.
Bear8
59bear said:

Trumpanzee said:

That is one of the best statements on the State of the Team I have read in awhile.
pasadenaorbust
82gradDLSdad said:

LunchTime said:

I agree with you. In another post I equated this team with the team Tedford took over. One win with Holmoe, 7-5 under Tedford. Coaching matters... a lot.
I might be alone...but I'd actually like to see him come back for next year. Would things need to change for him to maximize his skill set...absolutely. He actually had a better QB rating in his sophomore year in 2019 than Aaron Rodgers had (albeit his season was shortened by injury). It's unfortunate that what was looking very promising went sideways somewhat this year under a new OC.
dimitrig
82gradDLSdad said:

LunchTime said:

Sure, but Holmoe was actually recruiting well.

Wilcox seems to be able to coach okay but he can't land the recruits he needs.

We need a coach that can do both.

Also, a coach that identifies and addresses weaknesses (special teams) would be nice.

Golden One
dimitrig said:

Are you kidding? What has Wilcox done in 5 years that convinces you he can coach? I submit that he can neither recruit or coach. He is especially pathetic on the offensive side of the ball. He is not now and never was head coach material. At best, he is an average to below-average defensive coordinator.
Big C
heartofthebear said:

Garbers can make all the throws and make all the decisions but he has to want it. He has to focus so that he is consistent. He's just disinterested in making every play. It's a mental problem. You can see it on the field.

Would he be more interested in the NFL? probably. And he'd have better coaching.

But he needs to improve his vision. He fails to see the receiver who is wide open.
He should know where his receivers are at this point but he doesn't.
Several times he was not on the same page as his receivers last night.
I don't know if this is his problem or the receiver unit but these are mental and coaching issues that he can improve on if he makes the effort.

What I see in Garbers is lack of effort unless he is pushed to late in the game by the situation. If Cal is up by 7 points, he relaxes and losses focus. This is why Cal plays down to the competition.

Can Garbers change for the NFL? Probably
Will he? probably not.

Strong disagree. Questioning Garbers' effort is way off base, unless you are a member of the staff who has worked with him the past few years (and they ain't talking).

You mention his focus. This is like when the clueless teacher of a diagnosed ADHD student tells the parents, "Billy needs to focus and try harder!".

His lack of field vision is innate and, combined with his relative lack of arm talent, is why he is unlikely to play in the NFL. At this level, he usually ranges between so-so and pretty good. Good runner!

As others have alluded to, this team has multiple problems. I get that Garbers gets singled out because he's the QB. So be it. I hope he finishes strongly and we get some wins!
Trumpanzee
71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

To state it is not the players is ridiculous. As a team, Cal lacks the talent to consistently play at a level necessary to win the P12. This problem is exacerbated by poor coaching. In other words, it is not either coaching or the players, it is a combination of the two. They coaches are not consistently putting the players in a position to succeed and on those occasions when the play calling is good, the players are not consistently executing the calls.

I think this translate to a "cluster F@#$.......
dimitrig
Golden One said:

dimitrig said:

Are you kidding? What has Wilcox done in 5 years that convinces you he can coach? I submit that he can neither recruit or coach. He is especially pathetic on the offensive side of the ball. He is not now and never was head coach material. At best, he is an average to below-average defensive coordinator.

He took over a bad Dykes team and did better with the same talent.

So I would say he can coach okay.

Okay means average.

He's not a great coach and combined with his recruiting misses I think it's time he is shown the door.

bipolarbear
HoopDreams said:

Not enough arm strength
Not accurate enough
No big enough
Not clutch enough

Good looking, well educated, no doubt well connected, and charming. Many paths open to someone like Garbers.
76BearsFly
We appreciate Garbers' efforts and hangin' in there. But, he just is not the guy we need.
kal kommie
I don't understand what motivates a thread like this. Is anyone saying Garbers is an NFL prospect? Does this thread serve any purpose except to single out and dump on a guy who has always given 100% for our team and carried himself with class?
chazzed
Exactly. My earlier reply, on that note, was not to take Garbers down a peg. I appreciate what the guy has done for Cal.
BearoutEast67
He did well and the OL was a lot better against a great DL. CB is the best power runner on the team. I found myself wishing Garbers had practiced rolling to his left to throw over the summer. He rolled to the right way too predictably at game's end. Need to be able to do that as a rightie to make the NFL. His running saved us but wasn't quite enough.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
going4roses
5 different playbooks 3 different OC's and 4 different QB coaches.

No clear system all 4-5 yrs

And y'all blame him

GTFOH

and give up his wins too !!!

Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.