Oregon State is our bowl game and key to redemption

3,228 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by calumnus
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They are the toughest team left on our schedule. We have them at home. We need a big crowd, pandemic be damned.

If we actually show up for all four quarters and beat them (which we can), then we can run the table and go 7-5. After our pathetic start, that would be an incredible rally and perhaps we can flip a few recruits our way to backfill the ones that left. That means we would have done that California sweep that we had not done since Lincoln.

One thing is for sure, our O and D both need to be consistent the whole game. Our O cannot have that lull where we go three and out for like 3-4 possessions in a row. Our D can't just play matador defense when the game is on the line.

I say f it and let's just do it. LFG!

Econ141
This would be sweet justice for all the countless times we start 5-0 only to crash and burn. I hope it happens but even if we beat the beavers it highly improbable.

The Stanford and UCLA games are back-to-back road games to close the season. I still think UCLA is very, very good. 2 of their 3 losses were basically last second losses so those could just have easily been wins (like many of our games).

I hope for every kid on the squad that this turnaround happens - boy would it make for a memorable year.

That said, just haven't seen much promise or hope of our offense putting it consistently putting it together for four quarters.
Golden One
KoreAmBear said:

They are the toughest team left on our schedule. We have them at home. We need a big crowd, pandemic be damned.

If we actually show up for all four quarters and beat them (which we can), then we can run the table and go 7-5. After our pathetic start, that would be an incredible rally and perhaps we can flip a few recruits our way to backfill the ones that left. That means we would have done that California sweep that we had not done since Lincoln.

One thing is for sure, our O and D both need to be consistent the whole game. Our O cannot have that lull where we go three and out for like 3-4 possessions in a row. Our D can't just play matador defense when the game is on the line.

I would suggest that UCLA is the toughest team remaining on our schedule, with OSU the second toughest. To win either or both of those games, we will have to have much improved pass protection by our offensive line. the OL is the Achilles heel of this Cal team. If they can rather consistently give Garbers at least 2 seconds to survey the field, we stand a chance. Otherwise, we're dead.

And regarding the crowd for OSU, there is no chance we'll see a "big" crowd. We got about 30,000 for WSU and about 10,000 for Colorado. The best we can hope for at the OSU game is probably 25,000, with the student section about 50% filled. To get above 30,000 again, we'll have to go on a 2-3 game winning streak.
KoreAmBear
fat_slice said:

This would be sweet justice for all the countless times we start 5-0 only to crash and burn. I hope it happens but even if we beat the beavers it highly improbable.

The Stanford and UCLA games are back-to-back road games to close the season. I still think UCLA is very, very good. 2 of their 3 losses were basically last second losses so those could just have easily been wins (like many of our games).

I hope for every kid on the squad that this turnaround happens - boy would it make for a memorable year.

That said, just haven't seen much promise or hope of our offense putting it consistently putting it together for four quarters.
I never consider Furd a true road game. We fill up at least half the stadium. And UCLA, kind of the same thing, we have our road fans and LA base of alums there too.

Let's beat Oregon State first.
59bear
There is no team remaining on our schedule that we can't beat. Unhappily, there is no team remaining on our schedule that can't beat us. Such is mediocrity (the one word that best describes the state of PAC12 FB.
Rushinbear
KoreAmBear said:

We get ahead and the play calling goes conservative. It worked against Colo last week, but otherwise that has led to loses. 3 and outs give the other team new-found incentive. When you get ahead, keep your foot to the floor. Make them stop us. If you're afraid that a bold play might go south, get out of the business.

Chip Kelly said it well when asked what their game plan is when he gets ahead, "Score and score and score some more."
GivemTheAxe
KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

I never consider Furd a true road game. We fill up at least half the stadium. And UCLA, kind of the same thing, we have our road fans and LA base of alums there too.

Let's beat Oregon State first.

Agree. Let's focus on Oregon State. It is a tough enough (but winnable) game. Go Bears
dinan3
KoreAmBear said:

Oregon State is the team Cal wants to be. Disciplined, well coached and wins games with less resources than Cal.
89Bear
I just want to be 4-5 heading into $c at home.
Blueblood
heartofthebear
KoreAmBear said:

We might have the D to do it. The nexus is around 27 points. If you look at the Beavers two games vs. the Washington schools that was the difference. In general, teams are having a hard time keeping OSU under 40. OSU is 4-0 in game where they score 40 or more. They are 1-2 in the other games. They have never scored less than 21 points (@ Purdue game 1).

It seems that their offense is much more productive at home. Only one of their 40+ games was on the road (@USC 2nd game after Helton was fired). They are only 1-2 on the road and the other 2 games they scored only 21 (Purdue) and 24 (WSU).

The home field thing seems to matter for them. Clearly Utah has a better D than WSU, but Utah gave up 42 and WSU gave up only 24.

So I think it starts with the D. I think we have to stop the run first and foremost, which is a good situation for Cal. Cal's rushing D is 4th in the conference. Cal's pass D is the issue but OSU is mostly a running team, ranking 2nd in the conference in rushing and 11th in passing. Specifically, we need to stop BJ Baylor, the OSU RB. And we need to get off the field on 3rd and 4th down, something the D is not good at.

On offense, it is the opposite. OSU is #1 in the conference against the run but just #11 against the pass. However, OSU does put pressure on the QB and is tied for the conference lead in INTs. The OSU scoring defense has allowed at least 24 points each game except in their shut out of Idaho (Idaho doesn't count IMO).

So, as I said before, this is on Garbers. It is really a redemption game for him. He and Cal need to do better in the red zone to get above 24 points. And he can't throw INTs. OSU lives on turnovers, ranking 3rd in the conference in TO margin, most of that is based on their INTs. He has only 5 on the year, which is pretty good, but OSU will put him under pressure.

And we need to convert 3rd downs. OSU allows 3rd down conversions at a high rate but is very stiff on 4th down. Cal is not particularly good converting either. And Garbers, while near the top of the conference in passing, is near the bottom in passing efficiency.

And we need to cut out the costly penalties in the red zone (false start, holding and delay of game). They key will be using the big guys we have at WR/TE. Tonges, Crawford, Hunter and Moore need to have big games. And get the ball deep to Clark and Remigio.

My take is that Cal is going to need at least 27 points, something they have not done against an FBS team at Memorial so far this season and only once overall. However, I'll settle for the 26 they got this week.

The other redemption is Cal vs. OSU in general. Cal usually plays one of it's worst games vs. OSU. So I am not optimistic but maybe they have already exorcised those demons against the WSUs and Nevadas of the world.

GO BEARS!!
BearForce2
Quote:

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
KoreAmBear
heartofthebear said:

KoreAmBear said:

We might have the D to do it. The nexus is around 27 points. If you look at the Beavers two games vs. the Washington schools that was the difference. In general, teams are having a hard time keeping OSU under 40. OSU is 4-0 in game where they score 40 or more. They are 1-2 in the other games. They have never scored less than 21 points (@ Purdue game 1).

It seems that their offense is much more productive at home. Only one of their 40+ games was on the road (@USC 2nd game after Helton was fired). They are only 1-2 on the road and the other 2 games they scored only 21 (Purdue) and 24 (WSU).

The home field thing seems to matter for them. Clearly Utah has a better D than WSU, but Utah gave up 42 and WSU gave up only 24.

So I think it starts with the D. I think we have to stop the run first and foremost, which is a good situation for Cal. Cal's rushing D is 4th in the conference. Cal's pass D is the issue but OSU is mostly a running team, ranking 2nd in the conference in rushing and 11th in passing. Specifically, we need to stop BJ Baylor, the OSU RB. And we need to get off the field on 3rd and 4th down, something the D is not good at.

On offense, it is the opposite. OSU is #1 in the conference against the run but just #11 against the pass. However, OSU does put pressure on the QB and is tied for the conference lead in INTs. The OSU scoring defense has allowed at least 24 points each game except in their shut out of Idaho (Idaho doesn't count IMO).

So, as I said before, this is on Garbers. It is really a redemption game for him. He and Cal need to do better in the red zone to get above 24 points. And he can't throw INTs. OSU lives on turnovers, ranking 3rd in the conference in TO margin, most of that is based on their INTs. He has only 5 on the year, which is pretty good, but OSU will put him under pressure.

And we need to convert 3rd downs. OSU allows 3rd down conversions at a high rate but is very stiff on 4th down. Cal is not particularly good converting either. And Garbers, while near the top of the conference in passing, is near the bottom in passing efficiency.

And we need to cut out the costly penalties in the red zone (false start, holding and delay of game). They key will be using the big guys we have at WR/TE. Tonges, Crawford, Hunter and Moore need to have big games. And get the ball deep to Clark and Remigio.

My take is that Cal is going to need at least 27 points, something they have not done against an FBS team at Memorial so far this season and only once overall. However, I'll settle for the 26 they got this week.

The other redemption is Cal vs. OSU in general. Cal usually plays one of it's worst games vs. OSU. So I am not optimistic but maybe they have already exorcised those demons against the WSUs and Nevadas of the world.

GO BEARS!!
Key on D will be to get off the field on 3rd down. Besides CU that has been a killer all season. Was CU the outlier or will that be the sign of things to come?

Key on O is avoid the multiple 3 and outs in succession that we have seemingly every game. Keep moving the chains. Get ahead of the sticks but let Garbers throw down the middle. Trust him. He's played FBS football 5 years.
heartofthebear
KoreAmBear said:

heartofthebear said:

KoreAmBear said:

GO BEARS!!
Key on D will be to get off the field on 3rd down. Besides CU that has been a killer all season. Was CU the outlier or will that be the sign of things to come?

Key on O is avoid the multiple 3 and outs in succession that we have seemingly every game. Keep moving the chains. Get ahead of the sticks but let Garbers throw down the middle. Trust him. He's played FBS football 5 years.

One thing I'm not sure about is Garbers as a runner in this game. The tea leaves show that OSU will contain him. Garbers has to trust himself to make those throws.

He should do what Wentz did last nightunderthrow to draw the PI call.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KoreAmBear
We have to run the table if we want a winning conference record at 5-3. It would be something if this of all years, when things look so bleak, is the year that Wilcox gets that monkey off his back. Well it starts Saturday. We lose the best we can do in-conference is 4-4. Wilcox hasn't done that either, but a winning conference record sure sounds like progress. Go Bears! #LFG!
DLSbear
I think we can pound the beavers! (Insert rated x emoji here) boys will be juiced because teddy is in the house! Cracking a bottle of Blanton's with my boys before the game and marching hmm hmm stumbling to victory!
Larno
Rushinbear said:

KoreAmBear said:

We get ahead and the play calling goes conservative. It worked against Colo last week, but otherwise that has led to loses. 3 and outs give the other team new-found incentive. When you get ahead, keep your foot to the floor. Make them stop us. If you're afraid that a bold play might go south, get out of the business.

Chip Kelly said it well when asked what their game plan is when he gets ahead, "Score and score and score some more."
Wilcox did not indicate that they turned conservative in the second half. There were a number of factors including untimely and sometimes ludicrous penalties and the TD call overturned. Tedford was noted for taking the foot off the gas in the second half but in the case of his good teams it didn't matter.
AunBear89
KoreAmBear said:

THE M O C IS BACK!!!

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
calumnus
DLSbear said:

I think we can pound the beavers! (Insert rated x emoji here) boys will be juiced because teddy is in the house! Cracking a bottle of Blanton's with my boys before the game and marching hmm hmm stumbling to victory!

A 21 year old senior was 12 when Tedford was last Cal's coach and was 6 when we last challenged for the PAC-12 Championship.
Rushinbear
Larno said:

Rushinbear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Wilcox did not indicate that they turned conservative in the second half. There were a number of factors including untimely and sometimes ludicrous penalties and the TD call overturned. Tedford was noted for taking the foot off the gas in the second half but in the case of his good teams it didn't matter.
Opposing coaches figure out how to stop what we were doing successfully in the first half. It works, as the first two series of the second half result in 3 and outs. So, what do we do to counter their counters? Nothing, apparently, or nothing that works.

You know each opposing coach. You know their tendencies for adjustments to your stuff. You would think that planning to counter these adjustments would be part of your game planning, starting Sunday. But, our pattern persists - success in the first half, stuffed in the second. We'll see today.
BearForce2
DLSbear said:

It's gameday, I too believe we can pound the beaver.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calumnus
Win over OSU is big.

Arizona, USC, Stanford and UCLA are all winnable.

Possible 6-6 (5-4) with the Axe and a bowl game.
chazzed
KoreAmBear for the win!
KoreAmBear
chazzed said:

KoreAmBear for the win!
Run the table. Why not? 7-5 (6-3) and a decent bowl game.

Today was a good day!

Now I just need $AMC to hit next week.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

chazzed said:

KoreAmBear for the win!
Run the table. Why not? 7-5 (6-3) and a decent bowl game.

Today was a good day!

Now I just need $AMC to hit next week.

Yes, that's what I meant to say. 6-3 in conference, the Axe, first time beating all our California rivals in my lifetime. Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.