Pac 12 Coaching moves could be interesting

12,359 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by remb8888
caltripper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like Wilcox and I don't want him to go. He is not perfect but has also dealt with some truly horrible bad luck the last couple of years and I want to see what he can do in the next few. That being said, if Washington throws a bunch of money at him I think he is gone and why wouldn't he as Cal and the city have not exactly made things easy for him. You throw on top our over the top academic standards for athletes that are tougher than any other in the conference and we have some very unique problems for football coaches.

This article is interesting, stating that Tedford wants to coach again. Would you guys want Tedford back? I would take him for sure but coaches coming back later hasn't exactly had a great track record in the Pac with Robinson at USC and Walsh at the farm. Herm Edwards is likely out at Arizona St., he would probably love to come home to Cal, but would he be an improvement? Then we have Troy Taylor ripping it up at Sac St., but could he put a Pac 12 staff together? Ron Rivera could be on the outs in the NFL as well. Lots of things could happen in a month or two and it is probably going to be wild. Not to mention, USC is looking for a coach as well and i feel like they might look at Tedford maybe?

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/24/late-dark-horse-coaching-candidate-emerges-in-pac-12/
Econ141
caltripper said:

I like Wilcox and I don't want him to go. He is not perfect but has also dealt with some truly horrible bad luck the last couple of years and I want to see what he can do in the next few. That being said, if Washington throws a bunch of money at him I think he is gone and why wouldn't he as Cal and the city have not exactly made things easy for him. You throw on top our over the top academic standards for athletes that are tougher than any other in the conference and we have some very unique problems for football coaches.

This article is interesting, stating that Tedford wants to coach again. Would you guys want Tedford back? I would take him for sure but coaches coming back later hasn't exactly had a great track record in the Pac with Robinson at USC and Walsh at the farm. Herm Edwards is likely out at Arizona St., he would probably love to come home to Cal, but would he be an improvement? Then we have Troy Taylor ripping it up at Sac St., but could he put a Pac 12 staff together? Ron Rivera could be on the outs in the NFL as well. Lots of things could happen in a month or two and it is probably going to be wild. Not to mention, USC is looking for a coach as well and i feel like they might look at Tedford maybe?

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/24/late-dark-horse-coaching-candidate-emerges-in-pac-12/

In a heartbeat. He even proved at Fresno he still has the capability to turn programs around quickly. I'm sure he's learned about the academics side of things but I can't imagine he'd want to take on the extra burden of Cal-ness (beauracracy, lame AD, city, etc).
Rushinbear
caltripper said:

No on JT. Once you lose your way, that's it - at least back to the same place where you lost it the first time.

UW will hire over JW, so I think he stays. SC will seek a top tenner - maybe they'll try for OSU's Smith.

In other ???, will the Fraud stand pat? Will Kelly move on? He now knows what the UC system is all about and it ain't all in like it was in Eugene.
BearSD
Agreed that Tedford has as much chance of getting the Cal job again as Kiffin does of getting the USC job again.

I'm not as concerned about UW and Wilcox, but I would be concerned about Oregon, if Cristobal takes an $8 million/year deal from some place like LSU.
calbear93
BearSD said:

Agreed that Tedford has as much chance of getting the Cal job again as Kiffin does of getting the USC job again.

I'm not as concerned about UW and Wilcox, but I would be concerned about Oregon, if Cristobal takes an $8 million/year deal from some place like LSU.
He found his way again. I would take Tedford back.

Didn't Kansas State have some success doing this with Bill Snyder?
01Bear
I like Coach Tedford. He deserves to be mentioned alongside of Cal's other great coaches, even if he never quite got Cal back to the Rose Bowl or a national championship. He helped to get CMS renovated and led the football program back to national prominence. (I was a student at Cal during the Holmoe years, I never once saw Cal with a winning season in my undergraduate career nor even a Big Game victory.)

If Coach Tedford still has some gas in the tank and can coach without hurting his health, I'd be all for his return to Cal. However, I doubt he would be able to coach full time (as the HC) without destroying his health again. He might be able to coach for a year or two (possibly even three years) before he needs to step down again for health reasons. That would mean Cal would be back searching for another HC in two or three years. That's not good for the continuity of the program (nor for recruiting).

Ideally, Coach Tedford would return to Cal in the capacity of an advisor or maybe as a QB coach. His track record proves he can identify and mold QBs for the NFL (even if not all of them end up with successful NFL careers). That should help Cal attract top QB and receiver recruits, which can go a ways toward attracting other highly talented recruits.

If Coach Tedford insists on being the HC, he needs to install a system where he designates an heir apparent and delegates much of the HC duties to said heir apparent. Otherwise, I really fear Coach Tedford will kill himself.
USABear
JT has some baggage. After Longshore, his QB recruits were marginal to average: Riley, Ayoob, Maynard. No opinion on whether this was failure in talent evaluation or development
The academic underachievement in his final years was dreadful
Strykur
Back in 2013 he had to have a heart procedure and took a year off, then in 2019 he stepped down at Fresno, what has really changed, unless he could get some big-time coordinators to commit at a serious run for the conference championship for a few seasons before leaving again.
Strykur
calbear93 said:

BearSD said:

Bill Snyder never had to resign from any jobs due to his health though.
Finnish Oski
Because of the tire fire that was our academic standing at the end of Tedford's tenure, I can't imagine the university would want him back-- nor should they.
calbear93
Strykur said:

calbear93 said:

BearSD said:

Bill Snyder never had to resign from any jobs due to his health though.
That is true. If he has his health under control and no longer feels the need to micromanage, I think, based on his understanding of our culture and bureaucracy and his proven ability to be innovative on offense if he lets go of his fear of failure, he can be successful again at Cal. At least he is a known commodity, and our administration does not have the credibility to earn our trust that they can find another diamond in the rough. And if we are going to play it safe with a retread, I would rather go with our retread who at least was able to find a period of success at Cal.
calbear93
Finnish Oski said:

Because of the tire fire that was our academic standing at the end of Tedford's tenure, I can't imagine the university would want him back-- nor should they.
I agree with you in spirit, but, especially now that college athletes can receive compensation, maybe we should decide whether we want purity or success. I am good with either but not sure, with our lack of comparable academic accommodation that is provided at private universities or even UCLA, we can expect to succeed. And if we are going to cling to that purity, we should be OK with mediocre results. Let's be honest - it is a lot easier to succeed at Stanford for an athlete than it is at UC Berkeley. We should provide the resources instead of thinking that a coach who was already overworked can micromanage even that. We are now providing more academic support and resources than we did before Tedford left (mostly due to the advocacy of Dykes) that made Dykes and Wilcox more successful in this regard. I don't think Tedford wanted the bad graduation rates. He just didn't have the support program we have now. If he still ends up with the same results after coming back, than I would agree. But I would rather no shut down an option for a reason that may not even be a reason with the updates to academic support.
Strykur
calbear93 said:

Finnish Oski said:

I agree with you in spirit, but, especially now that college athletes can receive compensation, maybe we should decide whether we want purity or success.
Here's the thing, having the best APR in the conference (or even the country for that matter) is great, but if we are a program consistently stocking NFL talent then that will be impossible, so even if our APR was mediocre but the team was winning a bunch of games and guys were leaving early, that would be fine, the problem is we had the 2nd-worst APR in Power 5 after Tedford left (inexplicably only Purdue was worse when this all happened).

College football was inherently impure even before NIL, but that shouldn't change how we view Tedford and how that was all handled, which was horrendous.
calbear93
Strykur said:

calbear93 said:

Finnish Oski said:

I agree with you in spirit, but, especially now that college athletes can receive compensation, maybe we should decide whether we want purity or success.
Here's the thing, having the best APR in the conference (or even the country for that matter) is great, but if we are a program consistently stocking NFL talent then that will be impossible, so even if our APR was mediocre but the team was winning a bunch of games and guys were leaving early, that would be fine, the problem is we had the 2nd-worst APR in Power 5 after Tedford left (inexplicably only Purdue was worse when this all happened).

College football was inherently impure even before NIL, but that shouldn't change how we view Tedford and how that was all handled, which was horrendous.
It was horrendous. And it exposed us to potentially being sanctioned.

But I also think we have a better academic support program now. I credit Dykes for that, even though I didn't much like him as a Cal coach. As such, I am more inclined to think that the horrendous history will not be repeated even if we rehired Tedford.

I am not saying that I think Tedford would be the first tier option. I guess I am saying I would not be disappointed if he were rehired, even if I would not view it as some brilliant move.
wifeisafurd
Since we are talking Pac 12, might as well open this up to enter carousel. Some background, you have a poor conference with a bunch of red ink athletic departments thanks to C-19l, poor attendance and weak conference share, but hell yes, everyone is going to pay Urban Meyer to leave the NFL:

Arizona: too new unless Fisch wants to allow a landing space for some new coordinators. Someone will want Jimmy Lake.

ASU: Edwards is on the hot seat. He is being investigated by the NCAA. The season has failed expectations.
The results of a newspaper poll, were very telling: 66.8% of responders voted that Edwards should be fired as ASU's coach, 11.8% voted that he should not, and 21.4% voted that his job status should be assessed at the end of the season. Defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator Antonio Pierce apparently embed all references to AS from his internet account after being told he couldn't travel to recruit during the recent off week. If your recruiting coordinator can't recruit off campus, why is he still your recruiting coordinator. A coaching change feels inevitable the only question is who is leaving. Supposedly the AD is going in a different direction: hot young coordinator. Anyone know some? What can the pay?

UCLA: Kelly has had four years to build a program and still boasts the worst winning percentage of any coach in his school's modern era while failing to make a single bowl. Is this years' "break through" enough? Does the new AD want his own guy. Rumors last month said he is not coming back. Even with DTR leaving, this seems like an improving program, that coaches would want to coach. The AD dept. has financial problems, but they can get donors behind to pay what would be a competitive salary in the Pac 12, but not in the Big 10 or SEC money .

USC: Sheet show. I'm assuming Luke Fickle due to his relationship with the new USC AD and money demands. Those thinking top 10 hire better take a good hard look at what the last head coach was paid. Less money there that you think.

Udub: Another school with red ink. Looking for a good coach they can pay $3 million plus for? DeBoer, Boston College's Jeff Hafley, Auburn's Bryan Harsin and Wilcox are in the media. All these guys have reasons to say no and also why the fan base would object. All have Husky connections but DeBoer. A lot of the Washington media is dinging the Cal job and excusing Wilcox's record based on Cal. Maybe they pay more for a proven talent?

Oregon: the issue is does their coach stay? If not, this is a program plenty coaches would aspire to join. They can compete money wise for the next coach, but there MO haas been to elevate within or getting a promising younf coordinator like Cristobal.

OSU: Would Smith stay at his alma mater if offered big bucks? Well if its the SEC or Big 10 elite he is gone. But otherwise, the answer from what everybody is reporting is no way.

WSU: someone is inheriting a good program. Supposedly looking at coordinators: Grinch, Harrell, Moorehead, etc. and Norvell.

Colorado: sounds like Dorrall wants to clear out some of the coaches he picked in a rush last year.

Utah and Furd: expect continuity. Rumors in LA are USC is interested Whitt. I don't see it.

Cal: I think Wilcox is coming back, when all is said and done. If he leaves to take another job, I think Cal is looking like a tough sale, and I don't know this AD's approach other than it would no doubt involve a search firm, a search committee and in Cal fashion anything else bureaucratic that can be used.

So with half the head coaches changing anyone want to take a shot and list your projection of head coaches:

AZ: no change.
ASU: DeBoer or Norvell
Washington: Kelly
Wsu: Dickert
Oregon: Cristobal
OSU: Smith
Utah: Whitt
Colorado: Dorall
Cal: Wilcox
Furd: Shaw
UCLA: Matt Campbell
USC Fickle

socaliganbear
Wilner seems to think Whitt is retiring, especially if they make they RB.
StillNoStanfurdium
USABear said:

JT has some baggage. After Longshore, his QB recruits were marginal to average: Riley, Ayoob, Maynard. No opinion on whether this was failure in talent evaluation or development
He technically recruited Goff even if he didn't develop him.
calumnus
USABear said:

Those were the best, the guys that started.

Longshore, Riley and Maynard have almost identical career stats. Longshore had a lot of injuries, but he also was surrounded with far more talent. In Tedford's entire time as a HC, he landed lots of Elite 11 QBs, nearly one a year, but he never developed a HS QB into an even below average NFL QB.

His great success was Rodgers. Not sure he really "developed" him. Anyone at Fresno?
wifeisafurd
socaliganbear said:

Wilner seems to think Whitt is retiring, especially if they make they RB.
In that case, it is Scalley. Highly regarded.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Since we are talking Pac 12, might as well open this up to enter carousel. Some background, you have a poor conference with a bunch of red ink athletic departments thanks to C-19l, poor attendance and weak conference share, but hell yes, everyone is going to pay Urban Meyer to leave the NFL:

Arizona: too new unless Fisch wants to allow a landing space for some new coordinators. Someone will want Jimmy Lake.

ASU: Edwards is on the hot seat. He is being investigated by the NCAA. The season has failed expectations.
The results of a newspaper poll, were very telling: 66.8% of responders voted that Edwards should be fired as ASU's coach, 11.8% voted that he should not, and 21.4% voted that his job status should be assessed at the end of the season. Defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator Antonio Pierce apparently embed all references to AS from his internet account after being told he couldn't travel to recruit during the recent off week. If your recruiting coordinator can't recruit off campus, why is he still your recruiting coordinator. A coaching change feels inevitable the only question is who is leaving. Supposedly the AD is going in a different direction: hot young coordinator. Anyone know some? What can the pay?

UCLA: Kelly has had four years to build a program and still boasts the worst winning percentage of any coach in his school's modern era while failing to make a single bowl. Is this years' "break through" enough? Does the new AD want his own guy. Rumors last month said he is not coming back. Even with DTR leaving, this seems like an improving program, that coaches would want to coach. The AD dept. has financial problems, but they can get donors behind to pay what would be a competitive salary in the Pac 12, but not in the Big 10 or SEC money .

USC: Sheet show. I'm assuming Luke Fickle due to his relationship with the new USC AD and money demands. Those thinking top 10 hire better take a good hard look at what the last head coach was paid. Less money there that you think.

Udub: Another school with red ink. Looking for a good coach they can pay $3 million plus for? DeBoer, Boston College's Jeff Hafley, Auburn's Bryan Harsin and Wilcox are in the media. All these guys have reasons to say no and also why the fan base would object. All have Husky connections but DeBoer. A lot of the Washington media is dinging the Cal job and excusing Wilcox's record based on Cal. Maybe they pay more for a proven talent?

Oregon: the issue is does their coach stay? If not, this is a program plenty coaches would aspire to join. They can compete money wise for the next coach, but there MO haas been to elevate within or getting a promising younf coordinator like Cristobal.

OSU: Would Smith stay at his alma mater if offered big bucks? Well if its the SEC or Big 10 elite he is gone. But otherwise, the answer from what everybody is reporting is no way.

WSU: someone is inheriting a good program. Supposedly looking at coordinators: Grinch, Harrell, Moorehead, etc. and Norvell.

Colorado: sounds like Dorrall wants to clear out some of the coaches he picked in a rush last year.

Utah and Furd: expect continuity. Rumors in LA are USC is interested Whitt. I don't see it.

Cal: I think Wilcox is coming back, when all is said and done. If he leaves to take another job, I think Cal is looking like a tough sale, and I don't know this AD's approach other than it would no doubt involve a search firm, a search committee and in Cal fashion anything else bureaucratic that can be used.

So with half the head coaches changing anyone want to take a shot and list your projection of head coaches:

USC Fickle

A fun idea…

All status quo except…

ASU - Norvell
UW - Sitake
WSU - Dickert
UCLA - DeBoer
USC - Aranda
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

USC Fickle

A fun idea…

All status quo except…

ASU - Norvell
UW - Sitake
WSU - Dickert
UCLA - DeBoer
USC - Aranda
Interesting choices '71. Where does Chip end-up - back to an announcer's booth? I can see Aranda at SC - a stabilizing influence. I don't think SC typically has been smart enough to do think like that.
bearsandgiants
JT may end up at UW while Wilcox stays here, and Id be ok with that.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

USC Fickle

A fun idea…

All status quo except…

ASU - Norvell
UW - Sitake
WSU - Dickert
UCLA - DeBoer
USC - Aranda
Interesting choices '71. Where does Chip end-up - back to an announcer's booth? I can see Aranda at SC - a stabilizing influence. I don't think SC typically has been smart enough to do think like that.
Aranda has a SoCal background, graduated from Cal Lutheran, coached at Redlands HS and Cal Lutheran. I see him returning home.

Kelly - He is not a typical football guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk away from the game.
MinotStateBeav
Being reported Aranda is signing a new contract extension today with Baylor

bledblue
fat_slice said:

caltripper said:

In a heartbeat. He even proved at Fresno he still has the capability to turn programs around quickly. I'm sure he's learned about the academics side of things but I can't imagine he'd want to take on the extra burden of Cal-ness (beauracracy, lame AD, city, etc).
Too bad he's an A** Hole!
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

USC Fickle

A fun idea…

All status quo except…

ASU - Norvell
UW - Sitake
WSU - Dickert
UCLA - DeBoer
USC - Aranda
Aranda has a SoCal background, graduated from Cal Lutheran, coached at Redlands HS and Cal Lutheran. I see him returning home.

Kelly - He is not a typical football guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk away from the game.
apparently Aranda is staying (with a nice pay raise) and I might have USC and UCLA backwards. Rumors now are Campbell to USC.
MilleniaBear
I honestly think you can hang the academic disaster on Tosh. He was the one bringing in the low character 5 star guys who didn't want to work either in the classroom or weight room.

I think it's wise to be wary of Tedfords health. My dream scenario is we hire Tedford as HC for 3 years with Taylor as OC and HC-in-waiting ( same salaries). TT is looking good right now but the competition has been low in Sac states conference.
59bear
MilleniaBear said:

I honestly think you can hang the academic disaster on Tosh. He was the one bringing in the low character 5 star guys who didn't want to work either in the classroom or weight room.

I think it's wise to be wary of Tedfords health. My dream scenario is we hire Tedford as HC for 3 years with Taylor as OC and HC-in-waiting ( same salaries). TT is looking good right now but the competition has been low in Sac states conference.
Tosh may have got them in the door but Tedford had final say on whether they were offered. He can't duck accountability for the APR fiasco.
BearGoggles
Putting aside all the other issues (and those are significant and real), I don't understand how any program could trust Tedford as the hc given all the health history. You can't count on the guy lasting more than a year or two.

Tedford seems like a fit as OC (UW) or perhaps as a stop gap head coach (ASU or UCLA actually make more sense than Cal IMO).
FloriDreaming
I'd love to see Wilcox go. And it would be even better if Cal didn't waste the opportunity on some retread with Cal connections. Start fresh.

Fingers crossed UW really is that stupid. If they want a Pac 12 coach who has never had a winning Pac 12 record, they deserve what they'll get. Won't spend one second missing Wilcox.

I don't see us getting that lucky.
calumnus
StillNoStanfurdium said:

USABear said:

He technically recruited Goff even if he didn't develop him.

Goff's parents are alums and he grew up going to games and rooting for Cal. He was a huge Cal fan. He has a picture of himself as a kid with Aaron Rodgers. Tedford "recruited" a lot of Elite 11 QBs to Cal, but Goff was Cal all the way and never wavered even when Tedford was fired, becoming Dykes' first signing.
calumnus
HuaHin (fka Uthai) said:

I'd love to see Wilcox go. And it would be even better if Cal didn't waste the opportunity on some retread with Cal connections. Start fresh.

Fingers crossed UW really is that stupid. If they want a Pac 12 coach who has never had a winning Pac 12 record, they deserve what they'll get. Won't spend one second missing Wilcox.

I'm OK with UW buying out Wilcox's contract. I'm OK with Wilcox getting another year.

My biggest fear is all the "talk" of Wilcox to UW causes us to give him a raise and extend his contract.
Big C
calumnus said:

HuaHin (fka Uthai) said:

I'm OK with UW buying out Wilcox's contract. I'm OK with Wilcox getting another year.

My biggest fear is all the "talk" of Wilcox to UW causes us to give him a raise and extend his contract.

Agree on all of that. This was supposed to be Wilcox's year to shine. Instead, we have a losing record and four of our best verbal commits have bolted. If we're killin' it next season, we can revisit.
TandemBear
USABear said:

Just binged Kaepernick's docu-series. Well done and on point.

It was painful to watch the segment where he went to Cal as a last hope, only to have one coach tell another, "You didn't know we signed Riley?" And Kaepernick was told to pound sand. That was a big fail on Tedfor's part.

Oh what could have been! (And I realize this is 20/20 hindsight, but still.) Crazy how many schools passed up on a kid so intent to play QB at the highest level, he chose an uncertain future over guaranteed millions to play baseball. He passed on the MLB money AND several full ride collegiate scholarship offers. Seems like this was pretty a pretty clear demonstration of his commitment to football. Plus, he was a 4.0 GPA student! Jesus, Cal, how do you miss a kid like this from California, no less?!!! (How appropriate for him to lead his Wolfpack to victory over Cal in 2010. Ha, ha, revenge is sweet!)
You're entitled to your wrong opinion!
BearSD
calumnus said:

Cal isn't the only school in that vise. There may be several athletic directors maneuvered into giving their head coach an extension just so they don't have to look for another one this offseason.

Look at all the openings so far. Just in the Pac-12: UW, Wazzu, USC. Plus rumors that ASU will fire Edwards to lessen upcoming NCAA sanctions, and that Whittingham would retire after the Rose Bowl if Utah beats Oregon next weekend. Probably a few more to come around college football early next week, via firings or forced resignations. Might even be more openings if teams that already have vacancies hire current head coaches.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.