Pac 12 Coaching moves could be interesting

12,161 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by remb8888
Finnish Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

And it's not an insult to that team.....jeez wake up.
Well I certainly consider it an insult to a team to refuse to recognize a major accomplishment on their part. You don't. Obviously we view things differently and I see no point in any further back-and-forth. You really flummoxed me with the "jeez wake up" line.Not sure what it means; I've been wide awake to Cal football for nearly sixty years and have the emotional scars to prove it.
Go Bears!
southseasbear
BadNewsBear1 said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

They list USC as champs as they should. Makes absolutely no sense that Cal is considered co-champs when they lost to the team with which they had the same record. I will NEVER say we were co-champs.
That's absolutely untrue, they list us co champs which we were. I find it unfathomable that a Cal fan would "NEVER" consider us co champs when in fact we were. What an insult to that team, one that had a helluva season and deserves to be recognized for it.
Forgive them Oski for they know not what they say.
The conference may call it co-champs, but who did they send to the Rose Bowl in 1975 and 2006? THAT'S the real champion.

Not saying it wasn't a 'helluva season' (especially given our sorry football history)--just can't agree with calling them co-champs unless we have the best record (or beat the team we tied for the best conference record).

We were co-champs based on identical records but the head-on tiebreaker went to the other team. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. At worst, we were in second place with an identical record to the conference champion, a season which you literally called "garbage." I think a lot of us would be happy to have that type of "garbage" result.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
BadNewsBear1
southseasbear said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

They list USC as champs as they should. Makes absolutely no sense that Cal is considered co-champs when they lost to the team with which they had the same record. I will NEVER say we were co-champs.
That's absolutely untrue, they list us co champs which we were. I find it unfathomable that a Cal fan would "NEVER" consider us co champs when in fact we were. What an insult to that team, one that had a helluva season and deserves to be recognized for it.
The conference may call it co-champs, but who did they send to the Rose Bowl in 1975 and 2006? THAT'S the real champion.

Not saying it wasn't a 'helluva season' (especially given our sorry football history)--just can't agree with calling them co-champs unless we have the best record (or beat the team we tied for the best conference record).

We were co-champs based on identical records but the head-on tiebreaker went to the other team. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. At worst, we were in second place with an identical record to the conference champion, a season which you literally called "garbage." I think a lot of us would be happy to have that type of "garbage" result.
I didn't call it garbage, someone else did. I agree with second place, with the same conference record as the champion (which would be more than welcome even every few years or so).
southseasbear
BadNewsBear1 said:

southseasbear said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

I didn't call it garbage, someone else did. I agree with second place, with the same conference record as the champion (which would be more than welcome even every few years or so).
Sorry, I meant this for Bears and Giants who said:

"Tedford is, and has been, garbage, since 2005. If we ever entertained him, or that ***** Lupoi, I would disown them and root for Stanford. **** anyone who thinks Tedford should come back to cal. I'm grateful for the half stadium."
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
calumnus
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

Tedford is, and has been, garbage, since 2005.
Let me introduce you to the 2006 team that were co-conference champions.

After choking against Arizona and then playing conservative, gutless football in the loss to USC with the actual championship on the line. That with over a dozen future NFL players including two future Hall of Famers on the roster. When I check the PAC-12 champions it lists USC in 2006.
Who are the two future Hall of Famers?

Lynch and Jackson
College HOF - Jackson has a very good chance of election. Lynch, not so much….
Pro HOF - Not a chance that Jackson is elected. Lynch has a decent shot.

Not a chance? He is the greatest big play weapon in NFL history. He has the most TDs over 60 yards in NFL history, his average yards per TD is the highest in NFL history and has the highest average yards per reception in the last 35 years.

Moreover, he has an iconic play "The Miracle at the Meadowlands" a 65 yard punt return TD as time expired as one of the most memorable TDs in NFL history, something which boosts HOF candidacies.

He has a chance, but to be fair, I did say "future Hall of Famer" which implies certainty, which is not the case (either way). Though, my statement would be true if both players made either hall of fame.
joe amos yaks
AR ... HoF?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Big C
bearsandgiants said:

bearsandgiants said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

I've been following Cal football for over 50 years, and in that time, other than perhaps 1975, his tenure comprised Cal's most successful seasons in my lifetime.
You should check out what we did in 1991.
I've been following Cal football since 1963 and besides 1975, including 1991, nothing has been more enjoyable than the Tedford era! I 'd take him back in a heartbeat. Even if as only a consultant - same role he played at WA under Chris Peterson. JT would definitely bring fans - alumni - back into CMS!

Tedford is, and has been, garbage, since 2005. If we ever entertained him, or that ***** Lupoi, I would disown them and root for Stanford. **** anyone who thinks Tedford should come back to cal. I'm grateful for the half stadium.

That's a bit harsh for our all-time winningest coach, but I agree in principle. Tedford did some great things at Cal, but now it's some fifteen years later. Forget it, people, it's not 200X anymore. What we need is the next Jeff Tedford, not the last one.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Since we are talking Pac 12, might as well open this up to enter carousel. Some background, you have a poor conference with a bunch of red ink athletic departments thanks to C-19l, poor attendance and weak conference share, but hell yes, everyone is going to pay Urban Meyer to leave the NFL:

Arizona: too new unless Fisch wants to allow a landing space for some new coordinators. Someone will want Jimmy Lake.

ASU: Edwards is on the hot seat. He is being investigated by the NCAA. The season has failed expectations.
The results of a newspaper poll, were very telling: 66.8% of responders voted that Edwards should be fired as ASU's coach, 11.8% voted that he should not, and 21.4% voted that his job status should be assessed at the end of the season. Defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator Antonio Pierce apparently embed all references to AS from his internet account after being told he couldn't travel to recruit during the recent off week. If your recruiting coordinator can't recruit off campus, why is he still your recruiting coordinator. A coaching change feels inevitable the only question is who is leaving. Supposedly the AD is going in a different direction: hot young coordinator. Anyone know some? What can the pay?

UCLA: Kelly has had four years to build a program and still boasts the worst winning percentage of any coach in his school's modern era while failing to make a single bowl. Is this years' "break through" enough? Does the new AD want his own guy. Rumors last month said he is not coming back. Even with DTR leaving, this seems like an improving program, that coaches would want to coach. The AD dept. has financial problems, but they can get donors behind to pay what would be a competitive salary in the Pac 12, but not in the Big 10 or SEC money .

USC: Sheet show. I'm assuming Luke Fickle due to his relationship with the new USC AD and money demands. Those thinking top 10 hire better take a good hard look at what the last head coach was paid. Less money there that you think.

Udub: Another school with red ink. Looking for a good coach they can pay $3 million plus for? DeBoer, Boston College's Jeff Hafley, Auburn's Bryan Harsin and Wilcox are in the media. All these guys have reasons to say no and also why the fan base would object. All have Husky connections but DeBoer. A lot of the Washington media is dinging the Cal job and excusing Wilcox's record based on Cal. Maybe they pay more for a proven talent?

Oregon: the issue is does their coach stay? If not, this is a program plenty coaches would aspire to join. They can compete money wise for the next coach, but there MO haas been to elevate within or getting a promising younf coordinator like Cristobal.

OSU: Would Smith stay at his alma mater if offered big bucks? Well if its the SEC or Big 10 elite he is gone. But otherwise, the answer from what everybody is reporting is no way.

WSU: someone is inheriting a good program. Supposedly looking at coordinators: Grinch, Harrell, Moorehead, etc. and Norvell.

Colorado: sounds like Dorrall wants to clear out some of the coaches he picked in a rush last year.

Utah and Furd: expect continuity. Rumors in LA are USC is interested Whitt. I don't see it.

Cal: I think Wilcox is coming back, when all is said and done. If he leaves to take another job, I think Cal is looking like a tough sale, and I don't know this AD's approach other than it would no doubt involve a search firm, a search committee and in Cal fashion anything else bureaucratic that can be used.

So with half the head coaches changing anyone want to take a shot and list your projection of head coaches:

AZ: no change.
ASU: DeBoer or Norvell
Washington: Kelly
Wsu: Dickert
Oregon: Cristobal
OSU: Smith
Utah: Whitt
Colorado: Dorall
Cal: Wilcox
Furd: Shaw
UCLA: Matt Campbell
USC Fickle

A fun idea…

All status quo except…

ASU - Norvell
UW - Sitake
WSU - Dickert
UCLA - DeBoer
USC - Aranda
Interesting choices '71. Where does Chip end-up - back to an announcer's booth? I can see Aranda at SC - a stabilizing influence. I don't think SC typically has been smart enough to do think like that.
We are doing terrific so far, aren't we WIAF…

ASU - status quo
UW - pending
WSU - Dickert (gonna happen)
UCLA - I don't see Kelly leaving now (hammering all three CA-based conference rivals helps a lot).
USC - Riley

1 for 5 - aaargghhhhh…..

We still are doing better than Wilner!
71Bear
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

Tedford is, and has been, garbage, since 2005.
Let me introduce you to the 2006 team that were co-conference champions.

After choking against Arizona and then playing conservative, gutless football in the loss to USC with the actual championship on the line. That with over a dozen future NFL players including two future Hall of Famers on the roster. When I check the PAC-12 champions it lists USC in 2006.
Who are the two future Hall of Famers?

Lynch and Jackson
College HOF - Jackson has a very good chance of election. Lynch, not so much….
Pro HOF - Not a chance that Jackson is elected. Lynch has a decent shot.

Not a chance? He is the greatest big play weapon in NFL history. He has the most TDs over 60 yards in NFL history, his average yards per TD is the highest in NFL history and has the highest average yards per reception in the last 35 years.

Moreover, he has an iconic play "The Miracle at the Meadowlands" a 65 yard punt return TD as time expired as one of the most memorable TDs in NFL history, something which boosts HOF candidacies.

He has a chance, but to be fair, I did say "future Hall of Famer" which implies certainty, which is not the case (either way). Though, my statement would be true if both players made either hall of fame.
Ah-ha - I could see Jackson in the college HOF and Lynch in the Pro HOF. You are officially back in the predictions business….
BearSD
calumnus said:

That with over a dozen future NFL players including two future Hall of Famers on the roster.
Toward the end of Tedford's tenure, I got aggravated watching the CMS scoreboard display the former Bears playing in the NFL. I always thought, "Good for them, but where is our f***** Rose Bowl?"
calumnus
Big C said:

bearsandgiants said:

bearsandgiants said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

I've been following Cal football for over 50 years, and in that time, other than perhaps 1975, his tenure comprised Cal's most successful seasons in my lifetime.
You should check out what we did in 1991.
I've been following Cal football since 1963 and besides 1975, including 1991, nothing has been more enjoyable than the Tedford era! I 'd take him back in a heartbeat. Even if as only a consultant - same role he played at WA under Chris Peterson. JT would definitely bring fans - alumni - back into CMS!

Tedford is, and has been, garbage, since 2005. If we ever entertained him, or that ***** Lupoi, I would disown them and root for Stanford. **** anyone who thinks Tedford should come back to cal. I'm grateful for the half stadium.

That's a bit harsh for our all-time winningest coach, but I agree in principle. Tedford did some great things at Cal, but now it's some fifteen years later. Forget it, people, it's not 200X anymore. What we need is the next Jeff Tedford, not the last one.

Tedford is our "wiiningest" coach in that he has the most wins 82, over Andy Smith at 74. He is also our "losingest" coach at 57 over Stub Allison and Ray Willsey at 42 (and Holmoe at 39).

As far as winningest in winning percentage:
1. Smith .799
2. Waldorf .670
3. Ingram .644
4. Price .606
5. Tedford .590

However, he was our best since our last Rose Bowl. Though Snyder was probably a better HC at his peak, mostly due to his ability to assemble and lead a good staff. Snyder would have eventually got us our elusive Rose Bowl. Tedford got us close, but came up short.
Chapman_is_Gone
Finnish Oski said:

Quote:

Sorry, in my book, if you lost to the the other team that finished first, you have no claim to #1. I know a lot of Cal fans who feel the same way. Cal could have simply taken care of business on the field in several different games and, sadly, failed to do so. Now that's fathomable.
Cal Strong!
MilleniaBear said:

I honestly think you can hang the academic disaster on Tosh. He was the one bringing in the low character 5 star guys who didn't want to work either in the classroom or weight room.

I think it's wise to be wary of Tedfords health. My dream scenario is we hire Tedford as HC for 3 years with Taylor as OC and HC-in-waiting ( same salaries). TT is looking good right now but the competition has been low in Sac states conference.
Cal Strong never understood this part of the Tosh hatred. The 5-stars who either de-committed or otherwise lost interest when he left all seem to have gone on to be solid students. It was the ones who still wanted to come to Cal without Tosh who trashed our APR.

Cal Strong didn't hear of any academic problems with Shaq Thompson, Arik Armstead, Azziz Shittu, Jordan Payton, or Ellis McCarthy at their new schools. It seems like they were all decent or better students.
Finnish Oski
Quote:

Sorry, in my book, if you lost to the the other team that finished first, you have no claim to #1. I know a lot of Cal fans who feel the same way. Cal could have simply taken care of business on the field in several different games and, sadly, failed to do so. Now that's fathomable.
No need to apologize. You're just flat out wrong. Imagine denying Cal football -- bot exactly world beaters over the past 70 years -- one of the rare accomplishments they managed: a share of a conference title. That's way too negative a way to look at college sports for me.
Finnish Oski
A final point on this then I'm out. A conference championship is earned by having the most wins in conference play. If two teams lead the conference in wins they are deemed co-champions. Therefore in 1975 and 2006 Cal earned co-conference championships by virtue of having the most wins along with UCLA in '75 and U$C in '06. Whether anyone considers them co-conference champions doesn't mean diddly squat. They are. Full stop.
calumnus
Finnish Oski said:

A final point on this then I'm out. A conference championship is earned by having the most wins in conference play. If two teams lead the conference in wins they are deemed co-champions. Therefore in 1975 and 2006 Cal earned co-conference championships by virtue of having the most wins along with UCLA in '75 and U$C in '06. Whether anyone considers them co-conference champions doesn't mean diddly squat. They are. Full stop.

Did we go to the Rose Bowl? Is there a conference championship trophy in our trophy case? Did our fans rush the field after the loss to celebrate our co-championship? Did the players celebrate their co-championship in the locker room after the loss? If you placed a bet on Cal to win the conference in Vegas, would you have collected the payout? Even half the payout?

Holiday Bowl for the conference co-champion or for the runner-up?

You do raise an interesting philosophical question: what if something were "true" but no one recognizes it?
Strykur
Was it nice to win our first share of a conference championship since 1975? Yeah, but no NYE bowl bids, so nothing to really comment on otherwise.
Dgoldnbaer
Get a bleeping clue. You obviously don't know what it takes to have a good football coach at Cal. How long have you been following the program? Ever get to know - personally - any of the coaches? Since you don't bleed blue & gold, go sit your ass at Stanfurd Stadium and keep it there. You sound like one of those tree climbers.
Dgoldnbaer
My previous text was meant for another.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Since we are talking Pac 12, might as well open this up to enter carousel. Some background, you have a poor conference with a bunch of red ink athletic departments thanks to C-19l, poor attendance and weak conference share, but hell yes, everyone is going to pay Urban Meyer to leave the NFL:

Arizona: too new unless Fisch wants to allow a landing space for some new coordinators. Someone will want Jimmy Lake.

ASU: Edwards is on the hot seat. He is being investigated by the NCAA. The season has failed expectations.
The results of a newspaper poll, were very telling: 66.8% of responders voted that Edwards should be fired as ASU's coach, 11.8% voted that he should not, and 21.4% voted that his job status should be assessed at the end of the season. Defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator Antonio Pierce apparently embed all references to AS from his internet account after being told he couldn't travel to recruit during the recent off week. If your recruiting coordinator can't recruit off campus, why is he still your recruiting coordinator. A coaching change feels inevitable the only question is who is leaving. Supposedly the AD is going in a different direction: hot young coordinator. Anyone know some? What can the pay?

UCLA: Kelly has had four years to build a program and still boasts the worst winning percentage of any coach in his school's modern era while failing to make a single bowl. Is this years' "break through" enough? Does the new AD want his own guy. Rumors last month said he is not coming back. Even with DTR leaving, this seems like an improving program, that coaches would want to coach. The AD dept. has financial problems, but they can get donors behind to pay what would be a competitive salary in the Pac 12, but not in the Big 10 or SEC money .

USC: Sheet show. I'm assuming Luke Fickle due to his relationship with the new USC AD and money demands. Those thinking top 10 hire better take a good hard look at what the last head coach was paid. Less money there that you think.

Udub: Another school with red ink. Looking for a good coach they can pay $3 million plus for? DeBoer, Boston College's Jeff Hafley, Auburn's Bryan Harsin and Wilcox are in the media. All these guys have reasons to say no and also why the fan base would object. All have Husky connections but DeBoer. A lot of the Washington media is dinging the Cal job and excusing Wilcox's record based on Cal. Maybe they pay more for a proven talent?

Oregon: the issue is does their coach stay? If not, this is a program plenty coaches would aspire to join. They can compete money wise for the next coach, but there MO haas been to elevate within or getting a promising younf coordinator like Cristobal.

OSU: Would Smith stay at his alma mater if offered big bucks? Well if its the SEC or Big 10 elite he is gone. But otherwise, the answer from what everybody is reporting is no way.

WSU: someone is inheriting a good program. Supposedly looking at coordinators: Grinch, Harrell, Moorehead, etc. and Norvell.

Colorado: sounds like Dorrall wants to clear out some of the coaches he picked in a rush last year.

Utah and Furd: expect continuity. Rumors in LA are USC is interested Whitt. I don't see it.

Cal: I think Wilcox is coming back, when all is said and done. If he leaves to take another job, I think Cal is looking like a tough sale, and I don't know this AD's approach other than it would no doubt involve a search firm, a search committee and in Cal fashion anything else bureaucratic that can be used.

So with half the head coaches changing anyone want to take a shot and list your projection of head coaches:

AZ: no change.
ASU: DeBoer or Norvell
Washington: Kelly
Wsu: Dickert
Oregon: Cristobal
OSU: Smith
Utah: Whitt
Colorado: Dorall
Cal: Wilcox
Furd: Shaw
UCLA: Matt Campbell
USC Fickle

A fun idea…

All status quo except…

ASU - Norvell
UW - Sitake
WSU - Dickert
UCLA - DeBoer
USC - Aranda
Interesting choices '71. Where does Chip end-up - back to an announcer's booth? I can see Aranda at SC - a stabilizing influence. I don't think SC typically has been smart enough to do think like that.
We are doing terrific so far, aren't we WIAF…

ASU - status quo
UW - pending
WSU - Dickert (gonna happen)
UCLA - I don't see Kelly leaving now (hammering all three CA-based conference rivals helps a lot).
USC - Riley

1 for 5 - aaargghhhhh…..

We still are doing better than Wilner!
Ok. We are done…

ASU - status quo
UW - DeBoer
WSU - Dickert
UCLA - status quo
USC - Riley

After all, the speculation, only three changes. Two damn good ones and a bump for an interim that looks solid.
72CalBear
Fond memories of JT will always remain (I wouldn't be a Bear fan now if it weren't for him), but he isn't our answer. Wilcox is staying - nowhere for him to go now. We don't have the money or influence to bring in the guy that you all want. Who out there truly believes we can somehow compete with those teams that do?? Again, somehow the Beavers do it without star power - why can't the Bears? Well, we won't. Beat $C!!
socaliganbear
72CalBear said:

Fond memories of JT will always remain (I wouldn't be a Bear fan now if it weren't for him), but he isn't our answer. Wilcox is staying - nowhere for him to go now. We don't have the money or influence to bring in the guy that you all want. Who out there truly believes we can somehow compete with those teams that do?? Again, somehow the Beavers do it without star power - why can't the Bears? Well, we won't. Beat $C!!
The Beavers used the transfer portal better than we did.
59bear
socaliganbear said:

72CalBear said:

The Beavers used the transfer portal better than we did.
Transfer portal only works if someone wants to come. It's an aspect of recruiting and recruiting is probably this staff's weakest area.
wifeisafurd
Miami newsholes confirming Chrisotbal to Miami. Would the Ducks go back to Kelly? Try to go big like SC? Pull a Brinks truck up to Whittinghan's house? Elevate their OC who apparently in play for other head coach jobs? They may have been interested in Wilcox a few years ago, but their program has elevated past him now.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Miami newsholes confirming Chrisotbal to Miami. Would the Ducks go back to Kelly? Try to go big like SC? Pull a Brinks truck up to Whittinghan's house? Elevate their OC who apparently in play for other head coach jobs? They may have been interested in Wilcox a few years ago, but their program has elevated past him now.
I don't see Whittingham leaving Utah - he is a ski enthusiast who loves living in Utah and he has built a strong program that reflects his personality.
UO OC Moorhead is heading to Akron to take the top job there.
"You can't go home again" - that takes Kelly out of the equation.
I agree that they are well past considering Wilcox.

UO will go for the biggest name that can lure. They certainly have an unlimited budget…..
golden sloth
I would strongly support moving the college football start date up one week to finish the games one week earlier. There is far too much chaos in the first half of december.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

I don't see Whittingham leaving Utah - he is a ski enthusiast who loves living in Utah and he has built a strong program that reflects his personality.

UO will go for the biggest name that can lure. They certainly have an unlimited budget…..
Last I talked to him, he was cutting down on the double diamonds, and was taking-up golf. Oregon has some good ski resorts, and great golf, but I don't see Whitt going unless it is for a limited time and outrageous money. I think Oregon might at least talk to Whitt and Petersen, and see if there is a deal to be had. Kelly is in a weird situation, as UCLA and Kelly don't seem to like each other. Reports a few weeks ago from local media (including the LA Times) said Kelly was not coming back. Since then, Kelly went on a winning streak and seems to have some huge talent coming from the Portal to Westwood (hey Justin, the Portal is this thing where thousands of transfers can be found).
71Bear
golden sloth said:

I would strongly support moving the college football start date up one week to finish the games one week earlier. There is far too much chaos in the first half of december.
This is my favorite time of the season - CFP participants are determined, bowl schedules are lined up, recruiting is in the home stretch and the coaching carousel is spinning out of control. What's not to like? Chaos is good!
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Last I talked to him, he was cutting down on the double diamonds, and was taking-up golf. Oregon has some good ski resorts, and great golf, but I don't see Whitt going unless it is for a limited time and outrageous money. I think Oregon might at least talk to Whitt and Petersen, and see if there is a deal to be had. Kelly is in a weird situation, as UCLA and Kelly don't seem to like each other. Reports a few weeks ago from local media (including the LA Times) said Kelly was not coming back. Since then, Kelly went on a winning streak and seems to have some huge talent coming from the Portal to Westwood (hey Justin, the Portal is this thing where thousands of transfers can be found).
The Portal is what the game is all about in today's world. There was a great article at The Athletic detailing the thoughts of a lot of coaches regarding QB recruiting (among other things). In essence, why bother going after a HS kid who may or may not pan out. Instead, focus on the portal and take guys who are ready to step in and take over right away.

There is a ton of talent waiting for a chance. If Cal doesn't get deeply involved in scouting and accepting portal guys, they will fall further and further behind the rest of college football.

Big Dog
UrsineMaximus said:

TandemBear said:

USABear said:

JT has some baggage. After Longshore, his QB recruits were marginal to average: Riley, Ayoob, Maynard. No opinion on whether this was failure in talent evaluation or development
The academic underachievement in his final years was dreadful
Just binged Kaepernick's docu-series. Well done and on point.

It was painful to watch the segment where he went to Cal as a last hope, only to have one coach tell another, "You didn't know we signed Riley?" And Kaepernick was told to pound sand. That was a big fail on Tedfor's part.

Oh what could have been! (And I realize this is 20/20 hindsight, but still.) Crazy how many schools passed up on a kid so intent to play QB at the highest level, he chose an uncertain future over guaranteed millions to play baseball. He passed on the MLB money AND several full ride collegiate scholarship offers. Seems like this was pretty a pretty clear demonstration of his commitment to football. Plus, he was a 4.0 GPA student! Jesus, Cal, how do you miss a kid like this from California, no less?!!! (How appropriate for him to lead his Wolfpack to victory over Cal in 2010. Ha, ha, revenge is sweet!)
JT would have insisted that Kap stay in the pocket and benched him if he ran. IMO Kap was much better off not having JT as a coach.
Exactly. Cal was running a traditional pro style offense, and Kap would not have been a good fit for it.
59bear
71Bear said:

golden sloth said:

This is my favorite time of the season - CFP participants are determined, bowl schedules are lined up, recruiting is in the home stretch and the coaching carousel is spinning out of control. What's not to like? Chaos is good!
And moving the start date up a week would do what? Move the chaos to the end pf November? Significant coaching changes largely come at season's end, whether that's mid-December or end of November and recruiting/transfer drama often goes with coaching turnover.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Plus Justyn Martin
remb8888
Really? Tedford?

Have you guys forgotten the cringeworthy play calls of 4th and 1 with in the 4th quarter down by 7 or so, on the opposing team's 40 and all the punts?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.