Plea for a strong showing against USC

4,865 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KoreAmBear
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, this season has been disappointing and surreal even by the standards of a fanbase that has seen more than its share of surreal events. Yes this start time is awful. Yes it feels like our season ended last Saturday. But this will be our last chance (ever) to see some GREAT golden bear seniors (Cam Goode, Luc Bequette, Elijah Hicks, Kekoa Crawford, Josh Drayden, Val Daltoso, Marcel Dancy, etc. ) take the field. We have 20 players on the team who are in their 5th year or more. Even with Covid waivers, most of these folks are gone in just a few days.

These guys have given their all to the program and the school for a long, long time. In Luc's case basically since the Paleolithic Era. It would be a tragedy not to send them out in style.

I'll also note this may be a real shot to defeat the hated USC trojans in Berkeley. Something we last did in 2003. I expect most of the USC seniors with NFL draft aspirations to skip this trip - cause that's how they roll. And if we beat a depleted USC roster . . . good. I really don't care if they trot out the water boy under center. I just want them beaten.

So I am begging and pleading with anyone who can make it to Memorial on Saturday to go to the game and show some love for the players who have given so much to this program for so many years.

Hope to see you all there.
calbear93
Sebastabear said:

Yes, this season has been disappointing and surreal even by the standards of a fanbase that has seen more than its share of surreal events. Yes this start time is awful. Yes it feels like our season ended last Saturday. But this will be our last chance (ever) to see some GREAT golden bear seniors (Cam Goode, Luc Bequette, Elijah Hicks, Kekoa Crawford, Josh Drayden, Val Daltoso, Marcel Dancy, etc. ) take the field. We have 20 players on the team who are in their 5th year or more. Even with Covid waivers, most of these folks are gone in just a few days.

These guys have given their all to the program and the school for a long, long time. In Luc's case basically since the Paleolithic Era. It would be a tragedy not to send them out in style.

I'll also note this may be a real shot to defeat the hated USC trojans in Berkeley. Something we last did in 2003. I expect most of the USC seniors with NFL draft aspirations to skip this trip - cause that's how they roll. And if we beat a depleted USC roster . . . good. I really don't care if they trot out the water boy under center. I just want them beaten.

So I am begging and pleading with anyone who can make it to Memorial on Saturday to go to the game and show some love for the players who have given so much to this program for so many years.

Great post. You are an awesome Bear.

BearBoarBlarney
You just convinced me to get my large derriere (that's French for "fat @$$") off the couch and drive over to Berkeley for this game.

You are a heck of a Golden Bear, Sebasta. Thanks for guilting me into doing the right thing.
Sebastabear
BearBoarBlarney said:

You just convinced me to get my large derriere (that's French for "fat @$$") off the couch and drive over to Berkeley for this game.

You are a heck of a Golden Bear, Sebasta. Thanks for guilting me into doing the right thing.

Made my day. Thank you!
SantaRosaBear
Sigh...wish I could. wife and her 84 year old mom land at Sfo at 9:20 pm. hope to catch most of the second half when home.
Go Bears!!!!!
Golden One
The wife and I will be there, as always!
OdontoBear66
And don't think U$C does not have incentive.....Just read in the OCRegister today that the whole recruiting process is being scrambled...So with Lincoln Riley at the game, the underclassmen for $C will be fighting to impress their new coach and not be recruited over, or just passed over. Damn.

So take 'em down Bears.
KoreAmBear
Luc Bequette will be asking for another year of eligibility. JK!
75bear
Great post, Sebastabear. I am embarrassed to say this will be my first time in Memorial this season, but I will be there. Bringing a friend also.

I had the same thought process that you laid out above. Only I would never be able to state it as eloquently as you did.

Thanks for your dedication to the Blue & Gold, even when times aren't so rosy. Go Bears!!
maxer
I picked this year to spring for Stadium Club, so I haven't missed a game (tickets are too expensive!) and I don't plan to start now -- see you there!
Bobodeluxe
Picky, picky, picky.
heartofthebear
Sebastabear said:

I'll be there!
Note: last time Cal beat Furd & SC in the same season was 2003, I believe. The last time SC and Furd had losing records was 2000, IIRC. When Cal beat USC in 2003, it was the Trojans only loss that season.
I hope Cal wins but I'm not as confident as I was.
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

Sebastabear said:

I'll be there!
Note: last time Cal beat Furd & SC in the same season was 2003, I believe. The last time SC and Furd had losing records was 2000, IIRC. When Cal beat USC in 2003, it was the Trojans only loss that season.
I hope Cal wins but I'm not as confident as I was.
Speaking of "the last time", this season marked the first time ever that USC, Florida State, Nebraska and Texas all had a losing record in the same season. Given how those programs ruled college football in the latter part of the 20th C., it is quite a statement about making the right decision when you are trying to find a successor to a star head coach.
KoreAmBear
Hope the turnout for the Cal men's basketball game v. Oregon State right now is not going to be an indicator for the SC game. There seems to be literally no students at the game. I don't hear any of them. I usually hear them on D. We're looking good too. Finals time?
Chapman_is_Gone
KoreAmBear said:

Hope the turnout for the Cal men's basketball game v. Oregon State right now is not going to be an indicator for the SC game. There seems to be literally no students at the game. I don't hear any of them. I usually hear them on D. We're looking good too. Finals time?

Why go when the athletic department literally does not support the program? (Serious question). The program died the day Wyking Jones was hired.
KoreAmBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

KoreAmBear said:

Why go when the athletic department literally does not support the program? (Serious question). The program died the day Wyking Jones was hired.
Students should go no matter what. I went and the student section at Harmon was still packed even in 90-91 after Keith Smith and Co left and Sean Harrell was our PG.
MoragaBear
Staff
KoreAmBear said:

There were tons of students at the game. They nearly filled up the overflow seats behind the South basket, too.
KoreAmBear
MoragaBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

There were tons of students at the game. They nearly filled up the overflow seats behind the South basket, too.

Yah I saw some pics of them after. I couldn't hear them at all on D which I usually do. Maybe the TV mics didn't pic them up.
MoragaBear
Staff
KoreAmBear said:

MoragaBear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Yah I saw some pics of them after. I couldn't hear them at all on D which I usually do. Maybe the TV mics didn't pic them up.
The crowd was pretty lively last night. For some reason, the band wasn't there, though, so that may have contributed to it not sounding as loud on tv. There were 4500 there. Not great but considering the teams recent past, not bad for a weeknight game against a non-marquis opponent.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
Sebastabear said:

I'm pulling out my thermal underwear, down jacket, and my yellow 2009 Bank of the West Joe Roth Memorial Game cap. I'm ready!
GoOskie
The four of us will be there. Well, six if you count my other personalities.

Go Bears!!!
smh
MB > For some reason, the band wasn't there,,

used themselves up a few hours earlier at women's hoops (cal's hawaiian dancers worked both games)
BearyBearyGood
To help with the crowd tomorrow since I can't attend, I'm offering up my 2 Field Club seats free to a Cal fan. If you already have tickets, please get them to someone else so we actually increase attendance. PM me if you're interested.
KoreAmBear
BearyBearyGood said:

To help with the crowd tomorrow since I can't attend, I'm offering up my 2 Field Club seats free to a Cal fan. If you already have tickets, please get them to someone else so we actually increase attendance. PM me if you're interested.
Aw man I wish I could go.
KoreAmBear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Sebastabear said:

I'm pulling out my thermal underwear, down jacket, and my yellow 2009 Bank of the West Joe Roth Memorial Game cap. I'm ready!
Go buy the new Joe Roth giveaway hat from a starving student.

TouchedTheAxeIn82
Cool ! I would buy one.
Big C
Chapman_is_Gone said:

KoreAmBear said:

I am going to try and juggle some parenting and see if I can make it to the $C game!

The basketball program is not dead, I can assure you (have witnessed 8-10 games every year lately), but it is malnourished and a bit anemic. We won the last two-in-a-row though! Currently undefeated in the Pac 12! (Dead means never coming back... and we will be coming back, at some point.)
SBGold
So would I, I'll have to inquire tomorrow
philly1121
Does anyone know why so late a start? It is literally the last college football game in the FBS of the season.
dmh65
Al Grigsby will get another year also.
71Bear
philly1121 said:

Does anyone know why so late a start? It is literally the last college football game in the FBS of the season.
Literally??? I think not….

One week later, Army/Navy play…..
JB was a Chieftain
Conference championships with TV contracts
bearister
This may be the BI single post star upvote record.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
SonomanA1
BearyBearyGood said:

If you still have the tickets, I can go. I sent you a message.

Go Bears!
BearyBearyGood
Tickets are spoken for. Go Bears
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.