Story Poster
Photo by SI.com
Cal Football

Bears Add Purdue Transfer QB Plummer

December 16, 2021

With the departure of four year starting QB Chase Garbers, picking up an experienced QB to add to the quarterbacks room was a top priority for the Bears this offseason. Four days after his weekend visit, the Bears did just that, adding 6-5/215 Purdue Junior QB Jack Plummer to the program.

As a prep, Plummer entered Purdue as a 4 star ESPN (3 stars with 247 and Rivals) QB from Gilbert, Arizona holding offers from Iowa, South Carolina, Arizona and Oregon State among his 13 offers before committing to Purdue.

Plummer started the year as the starting QB for the Boilermakers, completing 87-of-127 passes (68.5%) with seven touchdowns and no interceptions, going 3-1 with the lone loss to Notre Dame. But looking for a spark, head coach Jeff Brohm inserted senior QB Aidan O’Connell, who was even more impressive, completing 73% of his passes for 3,174 yards and 23 TDs with 8 interceptions on the season. With another year of eligibility due to last season’s covid exceptions, O’Connell looks likely to start again so Plummer decided to check out the transfer portal to see if there was a beter situation for him.

Enter Cal, where Plummer will presumbly battle highly-touted redshirt frosh QB Kai Millner along with soph Zach Johnson and veteran walk-on QB Robby Rowell for the starting nod.

Plummer’s career stats include 319-of-492 passses completed (64.8%) for 3.405 yards and 26 touchdowns with 10 interceptions. Plummer will have two years of remaining eligibility for the Bears. He will enroll for spring semester and participate in spring ball in March.

Discussion from...

Bears Add Purdue Transfer QB Plummer

56,383 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MoragaBear
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For me and the Coach Wilcox era, one of the defining moments was the stubbornness of sticking with what was the Brandon McIlwaine "experiment". It was a real eye opener for me. That game up in Eugene wanted me to leave Beau Baldwin on the tarmac with no way to get home but a 10 hour Uber ride.

McIlwaine, noted for his athleticism and explosive running ability, was a human turnover machine, and did so at the most critical times. 2 INT's and 2 Fumbles in that game against the Ducks. Wilcox is either far to loyal, or just doesnt have a clue when it comes to running an offense. - - - I hope that Coach Wilcox has learned some "things" since having Baldwin and McIlwaine on the roster.
Cal8285
calumnus said:

Big C said:

SFCityBear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

NO kidding.
Or Zach Maynard rated ahead of

Troy Taylor
Craig Morton
Joe Roth
Gale Gilbert
Steve Bartkowski
Fred Besana
Kyle Boller
Vince Ferragamo

Passing offenses have improved so much over the past 25-30 years... anybody playing recently has an advantage over the older players.

Probably too much research/homework to assign to Calumnus, but I'd like to see a metric that factored in how these QBs performed relative to other QBs that year.

Longshore, Riley and Maynard played pretty much in succession for the same team for the same coach and put up nearly identical career numbers as passers, with the exception that Maynard also contributing positive yardage rushing.

The difference is Longshore was on winning teams surrounded by great talent like Marshawn Lynch, DeSean Jackson , Justin Forsett and Jahvid Best with great defenses. Maynard was on losing teams, with a bad defense his last year. People didn't want to blame Tedford so they blamed Maynard and invented a conspiracy theory that Hinder and Bridgford were great QBs, but Keenan Allen forced Tedford to start his brother instead.
Maynard was a mediocre Pac-10/12 quarterback at best, I saw enough of him to be confident of that, and misleading passer ratings won't change that. He was a ton better than Joe Ayoob, but Longshore and Riley were both clearly better, even taking into account talent surrounding them. Longshore had deficiencies even pre-injury. He was never near the level of the best half dozen Cal QB's of the last dozen years, although his 141.6 passer rating in 2006, the only season in which he was both healthy and not being yo-yoed with Riley, might make some think otherwise. Unfortunately, Tedford never knew how to coach a guy with the combo of physical talent and brain that Riley had, and he screwed up Longshore post-injury, so both Longshore and Riley turned into head cases, so they weren't as good as they should have been.

I don't blame Maynard, however, I blame Tedford. Not because Keenan Allen forced Tedford to do anything, but because Tedford didn't recruit anybody better than Maynard. Hinder and Bridgeford were not as good as Maynard, and that is bad thing. Tedford was going to start the guy he thought was best. While Tedford may not always have been right (in 2007, a healthy Riley was clearly better than Longshore on a badly injured ankle, even if Tedford stubbornly stuck to Longshore), I have no doubt Tedford would have started someone else over Maynard if he thought someone else gave the Bears a better chance of winning. Tedford would have loved to start anybody over Riley, who drove Tedford CRAZY, but when Riley got hurt in 2010, there was no question Riley was our best option, and it is too bad Mansion was the best we had behind Riley.

If you want the biggest problem with the Tedford era, it is that, after Rodgers, Tedford the alleged QB guru never recruited any really high quality QB's to Cal. Rodgers was his only one, and Tedford kind of stumbled on him while recruiting Cross. Tedford at least identified Rodgers as being potentially really good, but even Tedford admitted he didn't know Rodgers was as good as he was.

In terms of high school recruiting, Tedford, Longshore and Riley are the best he got, everyone else didn't contribute. In terms of JC recruits or transfers, Maynard is the best that Tedford did. I'm not saying Tedford should have found another Rodgers, because nobody finds another Rodgers. But he could have at least found another Dave Barr. And yeah, Goff verbally committed to Cal when Tedford was still coach, but not because of Tedford, but he was coming to Cal no matter who the coach was.

I'll be very happy if Plummer can be another Dave Barr.
Big C
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

In general, I don't think Goff gets quite the appreciation that he deserves from many folks here, with 71Bear just being the most egregious example. He was an outstanding Cal quarterback and owns most of our passing records. First pick in the NFL draft, played in multiple Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl and is currently an NFL starter. He is also a Golden Bear through and through. What's not to love? (I do recognize that most Cal fans do love Jared Goff.)

Imagine if Goff (even at his college sophomore level of play) were on our roster for next season, how many games we would win!
I think we really underrate the recent QB play. We had so many years in the QB wilderness post-Longshore injury. Riley was average, Maynard and Bowers below that. Goff, Webb, sophomore and senior year Garbers were anywhere from elite to above average p5 QBs. The rest were disasters

Cal QB Career Passing Ratings (min 100 attempts)
1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

People tend to attribute wins to good QB play and losses to bad QB play, but there are 21+ other positions. People undervalue Barr, Garbers, Goff and Webb because their teams did not win much, or they played for coaches with losing records or just ones we didn't like.. Maynard was essentially the same as Longshore and Riley as a passer but was a better runner (OTOH Riley's stats suffered from not having as good of receivers as Longshore and Maynard).

Garbers was better than Longshore and just behind Pawlawski overall as a passer, but is also the Cal QB career rushing leader with 1,174 yards and 11 rushing TDs.

Since college QBs improve, sometimes dramatically, over their careers, it would be interesting to see the passer ratings for just their final year. I think this would more accurately correlate with the "eye-test" because frankly, there is no way that Gary Grauman is ten places better than Steve Bartkowski. One exception would be Roth, who of course was fighting melanoma his final year. However, I have a long list of to-dos for the day, so will leave the work to any other BI member who steps up.

As far as S71's comment about the need to include toughness and playing well in important games, I'd argue (colored by my then 16-year-old perspective) Dave Penhall should move way up the list. Against two heavily favored Stanford teams, he engineered a one-point loss in 1969 and a victory in Plunkett's Heisman year.

Top 20 final significant season at Cal:
1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

*Roth's first season since his second he was dying of cancer.
Thanks for this work, calumnus! This prompts the following thoughts:
  • I forgot how good Pat Barnes was for that one season under Mariucci - too bad the defense was so awful. I wonder why Barnes didn't stick in the NFL while Gale Gilbert hung on as 2nd or 3rd string QB on various teams for years.
  • As has already been said, it's hard to compare QBs from different eras. Changes in pass defense and offensive strategy have a big impact on these ratings. Goff vs Rodgers vs Roth vs Morton
  • I remember Jay Cruze - he was a good passer, but always carried an extra 10 lbs around the middle.
  • For holding as many Cal records as he did, even Troy Taylor's best season wasn't that great.
Anyway, thanks again!

Troy Taylor's disadvantage was having to play in Joe Kapp's offense. Fantasy Land, but if Kapp had kept Roger Theder as his Offensive Coordinator -- not that Theder would've stayed -- and gotten out of his way, Taylor would've looked a lot better and Kapp would've been a lot more successful.

Joe Kapp is one of the all-time great Golden Bears, but as a coach, he was the classic example of someone who didn't know what he didn't know.
Cal8285
Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

In general, I don't think Goff gets quite the appreciation that he deserves from many folks here, with 71Bear just being the most egregious example. He was an outstanding Cal quarterback and owns most of our passing records. First pick in the NFL draft, played in multiple Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl and is currently an NFL starter. He is also a Golden Bear through and through. What's not to love? (I do recognize that most Cal fans do love Jared Goff.)

Imagine if Goff (even at his college sophomore level of play) were on our roster for next season, how many games we would win!
I think we really underrate the recent QB play. We had so many years in the QB wilderness post-Longshore injury. Riley was average, Maynard and Bowers below that. Goff, Webb, sophomore and senior year Garbers were anywhere from elite to above average p5 QBs. The rest were disasters

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

People tend to attribute wins to good QB play and losses to bad QB play, but there are 21+ other positions. People undervalue Barr, Garbers, Goff and Webb because their teams did not win much, or they played for coaches with losing records or just ones we didn't like.. Maynard was essentially the same as Longshore and Riley as a passer but was a better runner (OTOH Riley's stats suffered from not having as good of receivers as Longshore and Maynard).

Garbers was better than Longshore and just behind Pawlawski overall as a passer, but is also the Cal QB career rushing leader with 1,174 yards and 11 rushing TDs.

Since college QBs improve, sometimes dramatically, over their careers, it would be interesting to see the passer ratings for just their final year. I think this would more accurately correlate with the "eye-test" because frankly, there is no way that Gary Grauman is ten places better than Steve Bartkowski. One exception would be Roth, who of course was fighting melanoma his final year. However, I have a long list of to-dos for the day, so will leave the work to any other BI member who steps up.

As far as S71's comment about the need to include toughness and playing well in important games, I'd argue (colored by my then 16-year-old perspective) Dave Penhall should move way up the list. Against two heavily favored Stanford teams, he engineered a one-point loss in 1969 and a victory in Plunkett's Heisman year.

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

• I forgot how good Pat Barnes was for that one season under Mariucci - too bad the defense was so awful. I wonder why Barnes didn't stick in the NFL while Gale Gilbert hung on as 2nd or 3rd string QB on various teams for years.
  • As has already been said, it's hard to compare QBs from different eras. Changes in pass defense and offensive strategy have a big impact on these ratings. Goff vs Rodgers vs Roth vs Morton
  • I remember Jay Cruze - he was a good passer, but always carried an extra 10 lbs around the middle.
  • For holding as many Cal records as he did, even Troy Taylor's best season wasn't that great.
Anyway, thanks again!

Troy Taylor's disadvantage was having to play in Joe Kapp's offense. Fantasy Land, but if Kapp had kept Roger Theder as his Offensive Coordinator -- not that Theder would've stayed -- and gotten out of his way, Taylor would've looked a lot better and Kapp would've been a lot more successful.

Joe Kapp is one of the all-time great Golden Bears, but as a coach, he was the classic example of someone who didn't know what he didn't know.
Playing in Kapp's offense wasn't much of a disadvantage for Taylor. He essentially played a half season as a true freshman under Kapp, and the rest of his career under Snyder. You can say there was a disadvantage in that Snyder's recruiting hadn't quite come to fruition while Taylor was there, but outside of having about half the pass attempts on the team in 1986 as a true freshman, he didn't play under Kapp.

Brian Bedford and Kevin Brown both played until Kapp decided to forget about saving a year of Taylor's eligibility and made Taylor the starter. Taylor got hurt near the end of the season and couldn't play in the Big Game, so Kevin Brown got the start and led us to the glorious upset victory to send Kapp out on a high note.

Yeah, Taylor's career numbers would probably be a little better if he didn't have half a season of PT under Kapp, but a) he was a true freshman, and b) he didn't have a great offense around him, so I can't imagine he would have improved his career numbers a ton if that half season hadn't been under Kapp.
Big C
Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Playing in Kapp's offense wasn't much of a disadvantage for Taylor. He essentially played a half season as a true freshman under Kapp, and the rest of his career under Snyder. You can say there was a disadvantage in that Snyder's recruiting hadn't quite come to fruition while Taylor was there, but outside of having about half the pass attempts on the team in 1986 as a true freshman, he didn't play under Kapp.

Brian Bedford and Kevin Brown both played until Kapp decided to forget about saving a year of Taylor's eligibility and made Taylor the starter. Taylor got hurt near the end of the season and couldn't play in the Big Game, so Kevin Brown got the start and led us to the glorious upset victory to send Kapp out on a high note.

Yeah, Taylor's career numbers would probably be a little better if he didn't have half a season of PT under Kapp, but a) he was a true freshman, and b) he didn't have a great offense around him, so I can't imagine he would have improved his career numbers a ton if that half season hadn't been under Kapp.

You're right! My bad, I had totally forgotten the Joe Kapp-Troy Taylor-Bruce Snyder timeline. (I am sticking to my assertion that Kapp would've been well served to have delegated to a good OC.)
GivemTheAxe
Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

You're right! My bad, I had totally forgotten the Joe Kapp-Troy Taylor-Bruce Snyder timeline. (I am sticking to my assertion that Kapp would've been well served to have delegated to a good OC.)

Amen to that. If Theder had stayed Kapp would have been a great motivational speaker pregame and half time.
SFCityBear
GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Amen to that. If Theder had stayed Kapp would have been a great motivational speaker pregame and half time.
How could Theder have stayed? He was fired after 4 years as head coach, and Kapp was named as his replacement. Maybe he could have stayed as a QB coach for Kapp? Theder was a very good QB coach, but as a head coach, not very good.
SFCityBear
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

How could Theder have stayed? He was fired after 4 years as head coach, and Kapp was named as his replacement. Maybe he could have stayed as a QB coach for Kapp? Theder was a very good QB coach, but as a head coach, not very good.

Might have been
Theder hiring Mouse Davis from Portland State as his OC was a great idea that did not work out, not because Cal going Run and Shoot before anyone else in FBS wasn't a brilliant idea, but because: 1) mouse Davis wasn't flexible enough to figure out how to utilize our best player, TE David Lewis, and instead had him sit on the bench and 2) Gale Gilbert got injured.

Cal sports history is filled with "what ifs." Like, what if Rodgers returned for his senior year and teamed with a Marshawn Lynch and Desean Jackson in the greatest offense of all time? The 2005 team won 10 games with Joe Ayoob at Q, with Aaron Rodgers?
GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

Quarterbacking isn't just about passing ratings. Quarterbacking is about numbers AND leadership, toughness, producing when the pressure is greatest, etc.

That is why a guy like Montana is always mentioned as one of the very best to ever play QB and Marino is just a statmaster with no rings.

Here are the true rankings from the group noted above:

1. Roth
2. Rodgers
3. Morton
4. Pawlawski
5. Kapp

I thank Calumnus for his work in pulling together all the data. But I would like to echo several comments from other posters on this thread. It is not just difficult but almost impossible to compare QB's of different eras.
Morton should be up there as #1. Or tied for #1 with AR

Stats by themselves are deceiving.

Remember Morton set all kinds of passing records at Cal and after a 3-7 season was selected as All American at QB then spent 18 seasons in the NFL as QB and appearing in 2 Super Bowls despite multiple season ending injuries.

Early in his career at Cal he had an awful injury that severely limited his mobility for the rest of his college and NFL career. Yet his career was pretty spectacular

He was one tough football player at Cal and in the NFL.
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Might have been
Theder hiring Mouse Davis from Portland State as his OC was a great idea that did not work out, not because Cal going Run and Shoot before anyone else in FBS wasn't a brilliant idea, but because: 1) mouse Davis wasn't flexible enough to figure out how to utilize our best player, TE David Lewis, and instead had him sit on the bench and 2) Gale Gilbert got injured.

Cal sports history is filled with "what ifs." Like, what if Rodgers returned for his senior year and teamed with a Marshawn Lynch and Desean Jackson in the greatest offense of all time? The 2005 team won 10 games with Joe Ayoob at Q, with Aaron Rodgers?
The 2005 team won 8 games but probably would've won 11 with Rodgers. The 2006 one won 10 with Longshore.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Might have been

The 2005 team won 8 games but probably would've won 11 with Rodgers. The 2006 one won 10 with Longshore.

Oops, yeah, that's what I meant, they won 8, it would have been 12 (BCS) with Rodgers.
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Might have been

Oops, yeah, that's what I meant, they won 8, it would have been 12 (BCS) with Rodgers.
I said 11 because SC won 35-7. Would like to think Rodgers could've led them to a win but that's a big gulf to bridge.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

Quarterbacking isn't just about passing ratings. Quarterbacking is about numbers AND leadership, toughness, producing when the pressure is greatest, etc.

That is why a guy like Montana is always mentioned as one of the very best to ever play QB and Marino is just a statmaster with no rings.

Here are the true rankings from the group noted above:

1. Roth
2. Rodgers
3. Morton
4. Pawlawski
5. Kapp

I thank Calumnus for his work in pulling together all the data. But I would like to echo several comments from other posters on this thread. It is not just difficult but almost impossible to compare QB's of different eras.
Morton should be up there as #1. Or tied for #1 with AR

Stats by themselves are deceiving.

Remember Morton set all kinds of passing records at Cal and after a 3-7 season was selected as All American at QB then spent 18 seasons in the NFL as QB and appearing in 2 Super Bowls despite multiple season ending injuries.

Early in his career at Cal he had an awful injury that severely limited his mobility for the rest of his college and NFL career. Yet his career was pretty spectacular

He was one tough football player at Cal and in the NFL.

The data is the data. QB ratings are only partly an individual statistic, they are also a product of the system they played in, the rules of that era, the talent they had around them, especially but not exclusively at WR, the opposing talent, the playcalling and sure, factors like injuries. Obviously it is more of an apples to apples comparison to compare QBs who played for the same cosch in the same era. It is really interesting that Longshore, Riley and Maynard, who played successively under Tedford, have almost identical QB ratings.

71's ranking brings up another factor: QBs on winning teams are deemed to be great, QBs on losing teams are denigrated. In general, that is a worse way to evaluate individual QB play than QB rating, though we all do it. QB is the most important position, but it is not the only position. QBs get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. However, one factor that is valid apart from QB rating is what I will call "clutch": with the game on the line in the final minutes, is the QB more likely to calmly lead the team down field for a winning score or are they going to choke and throw a hope killing interception? Of Longshore, Riley and Maynard, all three had a tendency to "choke" but it was actually Longshore who did it more, even in our "great" 2006 team. However, Longshore is universally considered the best Cal QB between Rodgers and Goff, though I submit that was because he played on far more talented teams that won more games and challenges for the championship.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Might have been

More "woulda, shoulda, coulda".
SFCityBear
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Might have been

More "woulda, shoulda, coulda".

Cal sports has plenty.
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Might have been

That run and shoot sure did look good the quarter and a half Gale Gilbert ran it, against Texas A&M no less.
HearstMining
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Might have been

That run and shoot sure did look good the quarter and a half Gale Gilbert ran it, against Texas A&M no less.
That Texas A&M game was the weirdest Cal game I've ever seen. I sat in the south end-zone and the new bright green artificial turf contributed to this other-worldly experience. Remember, at that time QBs were almost all up under the center with two RBs, a TE, and two WRs. Cal's new (for them) run-and-shoot formation had receivers spread all over the field and Gilbert, the QB, way back with only one RB. Receivers seemed open everywhere and A&M clearly had no idea how to defend it. I think Cal scored the first three times they had the ball. I thought to myself, "This can't work forever, but maybe it can for one season. Maybe we get to the Rose Bowl." Then Gilbert went down with the knee injury and that's all she wrote.
82gradDLSdad
HearstMining said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

Cal8285 said:

Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

1. Goff 161.2
2. Rodgers 154.3
3. Robertson 154.2
4. Barnes 150.1
5. Pawlawski 141.1
6. Riley 140.7
7. Roth* 139.9
8. Garbers 136.1
9. Webb 135.6
10. Barr 134.7
11. Campbell 132.2
12. Cruze 131.2
13. Bartkowski 130.6
14. Maynard 130.3
15. Boller 126
16. Morton 126.0
17. Longshore 125.8
18. Bowers 122.1
19. Taylor 121.5
20. Penhall 121.1

Anyway, thanks again!

Might have been

That Texas A&M game was the weirdest Cal game I've ever seen. I sat in the south end-zone and the new bright green artificial turf contributed to this other-worldly experience. Remember, at that time QBs were almost all up under the center with two RBs, a TE, and two WRs. Cal's new (for them) run-and-shoot formation had receivers spread all over the field and Gilbert, the QB, way back with only one RB. Receivers seemed open everywhere and A&M clearly had no idea how to defend it. I think Cal scored the first three times they had the ball. I thought to myself, "This can't work forever, but maybe it can for one season. Maybe we get to the Rose Bowl." Then Gilbert went down with the knee injury and that's all she wrote.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

Paul Larson was the greatest Cal quarterback I ever saw in person, and he didn't make your list. In 1951 and 1952 , Cal had 4 QBs on the roster, Billy Mais, the starter, plus Cal's first Black QB, Sam Williams, along with Paul Larson, and Ray Willsey, who would later become a Cal Head Coach. Mais was a good QB, and probably had over 100 attempts to qualify for your list. Williams and Willsey were probably better defenders than QBs, but I really thought Williams might have a chance to be the starter in 1953. I believe he got injured, and Larson turned out to be spectacular. Larson may not have been Cal's best passer ever, but then again, I don't know who would have been a better passer than him.

Larson played in the days when players had to play both ways, offense and defense. He did everything on the field, run, pass, intercept passes, and run back punts and kickoffs. Larson led the entire nation in total offense in 1953. Then in 1954, Larson led the entire nation in passing yardage, and set the NCAA record with a completion rate of 64%, setting the NCAA record for completion percentage in a single season, which stood until 1963, when it was broken by Roger Staubach. Larson had a passer rating of 139.0. As a safety on defense, he had 12 interceptions in his career. He returned both kickoffs and punts, averaging 28.5 yards on kickoff returns, and 10.7 yards on punt returns. In the 1953 Big Game, Stanford was heavily favored, led by All-American QB Bobby Garrett, who had himself set NCAA records, and with the game tied at 21-21, and time running short, Larson intercepted a pass to keep Stanford from winning the game. Then with seconds left, Larson lined up to attempt a Hail Mary field goal from near midfield, but Stanford students stormed the field and tore down the goal posts, before Larson could get the kick away, and the game ended.

That passer rating is only for one season, because I could not find enough stats for Larson's earlier seasons. If his other 3 seasons' numbers were close to this rating, then he would be in 4th place on your list. I would expect his junior year 1953 numbers would be fairly close to this, as he led the nation in total offense that year. As a freshman, I only remember him returning kicks, so I'm not sure how much he played QB in 1951 or 1952. Still, this one season, 1954 would place Larson at 8th place, behind Roth, but ahead of Garbers, in your significant season list, which you presented in a subsequent post.

Another not so famous quarterback, Randy Gold, also qualified for your list with 100 attempts, but did not make the list. Larry Balliett, who was Gold's backup for most of his career did make your list. Gold and Balliett played at Cal from 1960-1962. Gold had 118 completions in 220 career pass attempts, and a passer rating of 104.3. In 1960, Balliett was injured in an early season practice, and sat out most of that sophomore year, but gradually supplanted Gold as the starter by the time they were seniors. Balliett had 90 completions out of 172 attempts, and a passer rating of 108.1.

SFCityBear
calumnus
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

Big C said:

1. Rodgers 150.3
2. Goff 144.0
3. Barr 140.9
4. Webb 135.6
5. Robertson 135.5
6. Barnes 134.9
7. Campbell 132.7
8. Pawlawski 132.4'
9. Garbers 132.3
10. Longshore 131.8
11. Riley 131.6
12. Maynard 128.4
13. Grauman 126.3
14. Taylor 124.1
15. Morton 123.2
16. Young 122.9
17. Bowers 120.4
18. Roth 116.6
19. Vedder 116.3
20. Ayoob 114.1
21. Gilbert 112.7
22. Bartkowski 112.7
23. Besana 110.4
24. Penhall 108.8
25. Boller 108.2
26. Balliett 108.1
27. Brown 104.8
28. McIlwain 104.4
Gold 104.3
29. Modster 103.8
30. Ferragamo 102.9
31. Cruze 101.9
32. Kapp 95.2
33. Torchio 84.3
34. Humphries 91.7
35. Bedford 85.5
36. Mansion 85.3
37. Bronk 84.9
38. McGonigal 84.3
39. Bridgford 80.0

Paul Larson was the greatest Cal quarterback I ever saw in person, and he didn't make your list. In 1951 and 1952 , Cal had 4 QBs on the roster, Billy Mais, the starter, plus Cal's first Black QB, Sam Williams, along with Paul Larson, and Ray Willsey, who would later become a Cal Head Coach. Mais was a good QB, and probably had over 100 attempts to qualify for your list. Williams and Willsey were probably better defenders than QBs, but I really thought Williams might have a chance to be the starter in 1953. I believe he got injured, and Larson turned out to be spectacular. Larson may not have been Cal's best passer ever, but then again, I don't know who would have been a better passer than him.

Larson played in the days when players had to play both ways, offense and defense. He did everything on the field, run, pass, intercept passes, and run back punts and kickoffs. Larson led the entire nation in total offense in 1953. Then in 1954, Larson led the entire nation in passing yardage, and set the NCAA record with a completion rate of 64%, setting the NCAA record for completion percentage in a single season, which stood until 1963, when it was broken by Roger Staubach. Larson had a passer rating of 139.0. As a safety on defense, he had 12 interceptions in his career. He returned both kickoffs and punts, averaging 28.5 yards on kickoff returns, and 10.7 yards on punt returns. In the 1953 Big Game, Stanford was heavily favored, led by All-American QB Bobby Garrett, who had himself set NCAA records, and with the game tied at 21-21, and time running short, Larson intercepted a pass to keep Stanford from winning the game. Then with seconds left, Larson lined up to attempt a Hail Mary field goal from near midfield, but Stanford students stormed the field and tore down the goal posts, before Larson could get the kick away, and the game ended.

That passer rating is only for one season, because I could not find enough stats for Larson's earlier seasons. If his other 3 seasons' numbers were close to this rating, then he would be in 4th place on your list. I would expect his junior year 1953 numbers would be fairly close to this, as he led the nation in total offense that year. As a freshman, I only remember him returning kicks, so I'm not sure how much he played QB in 1951 or 1952. Still, this one season, 1954 would place Larson at 8th place, behind Roth, but ahead of Garbers, in your significant season list, which you presented in a subsequent post.

Another not so famous quarterback, Randy Gold, also qualified for your list with 100 attempts, but did not make the list. Larry Balliett, who was Gold's backup for most of his career did make your list. Gold and Balliett played at Cal from 1960-1962. Gold had 118 completions in 220 career pass attempts, and a passer rating of 104.3. In 1960, Balliett was injured in an early season practice, and sat out most of that sophomore year, but gradually supplanted Gold as the starter by the time they were seniors. Balliett had 90 completions out of 172 attempts, and a passer rating of 108.1.

Good catch. Yes, I missed Randy Gold, he should be slotted in between McIlwain and Modster. Larson is a Cal Hall of Famer but was not in the database I was using. I checked, and see that it starts with 1956, so more properly it should be "Cal QB Ratings over the Last 65 years (Min 100 Attempts)"
Blueblood
calumnus said:

SFCityBear said:

Ditto! I wholeheartedly agree. I had my mother sew big yellow number "12" on my blue and yellow-shouldered football jersey. At the time of which you speak, he was my idol until Kapp showed up on the CMS field, then I changed my number to "22."
MoragaBear
Staff
Speaking of Paul Larson, here's a bit of memorabilia from my den with Larson's football card and autograph along with some other Cal Hall of famers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.