Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Football

Terrence Brown Added To Coaching Staff

December 23, 2021

BERKELEY – Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox announced Thursday that Terrence Brown has agreed to become a defensive backs coach at Cal, where he joins the team's full-time coaching staff and will share duties with Tre Watson coaching the Golden Bears' defensive backs. Brown has strong Pac-12 experience having spent nine seasons in the league including five campaigns over two stints on the coaching staff at Washington (2015-17, '20-21) after playing collegiately for four seasons at Stanford (2009-12). He also coached at Vanderbilt (2018-19) in between his stints at Washington (2015-17, 2020-21) after beginning his coaching career at Cal Poly in the spring of 2015. Brown was among a group of 30 coaches on 247Sports' 30Under30 list in both 2019 and 2020.

"We are excited to add Terrence Brown to our coaching staff," Wilcox said. "He is an exuberant young coach who is also quite familiar with the Pac-12. I have been impressed with Terrence in our conversations about this position and have also received tremendous feedback from several members of our staff who have either worked with Terrence, or know him well through mutual coaching acquaintances."

"I'm extremely humbled and honored to have the opportunity to learn from and coach alongside coach Wilcox, as well as all of the other great coaches on the staff," Brown said. "Becoming a part of and having a chance to contribute to Cal's rich tradition in football and academic excellence is truly an honor. I'm also beyond excited to have the chance to work with and get to know the elite student-athletes at Cal. My wife, son and I are looking forward to joining the Cal community. Go Bears!"

Below are additional notes on Brown.

California – Defensive Backs (Present)
– Hired as Cal's defensive backs coach on Dec. 23, 2021

Washington – Assistant Defensive Backs (2020-21)
– Returned to Washington for his second of two coaching stints with the Huskies in 2020
– Coached a 2021 defensive backs group that helped the Huskies lead the nation with the fewest passing yards allowed per game (143.3 ypg) by a whopping margin of 25.0 yards per game over No. 2 Cincinnati, pace the Pac-12 and rank third nationally in team passing efficiency defense (106.71), and be the least penalized team in the league while ranking in the top 15 nationally in all penalty categories
– Coached a pair of first-team All-Pac-12 defensive backs in 2021 in Kyler Gordon and Trent McDuffie, while Elijah Molden was a first-teamer in 2020 when McDuffie earned second-team honors
– Helped the 2020 squad capture the Pac-12 North title and post a 3-1 overall record during a season shortened to four games by COVID-19
– Played a significant role in the Huskies leading the Pac-12 in 2020 in passing yards allowed (185.0 ypg, #13 NCAA) and total defense (346.2 ypg), while the scoring defense was second in the conference (25.0 ppg)

Vanderbilt – Cornerbacks (2018-19)
– Spent two seasons at Vanderbilt with the Commodores reaching the Texas Bowl and equaling their best record in the past eight years during his first campaign in 2018
– Coached second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection Joejuan Williams in 2018 when Williams led all SEC cornerbacks in interceptions (4), while leading all of the league's players in pass breakups (14) and passes defended (18) before he was selected by New England in the second round (45th overall) of the 2019 NFL Draft

Washington – Defensive Graduate Assistant (2015-17)
– Spent three seasons in his first of two coaching stints with the Huskies, winning the Pac-12 title and reaching the College Football Playoff in 2016 with the Huskies compiled a 29-11 (.725) overall record and a 19-8 (.704) Pac-12 mark during the stretch, while also playing in bowls each season (2015 Heart of Dallas Bowl, 2016 Peach Bowl, 2017 Fiesta Bowl)
– Coached for a Washington squad that led the Pac-12 in total defense and scoring defense for three consecutive seasons from 2015-17
– Worked with a long list of future NFL defensive backs including Budda Baker, Kevin King, Sidney Jones, Jordan Miller, Byron Murphy, Taylor Rapp, Keith Taylor and Zeke Turner, with Baker and Jones both All-Americans, and Husky defensive backs earning five first-team All-Pac-12 honors during the period

Cal Poly – Cornerbacks (Spring 2015)
– Served as the cornerbacks coach

Cincinnati Bengals (2013)
– Signed as an undrafted free agent during the offseason but was not on the roster for the regular season

Stanford (2009-12)
– Started all 23 of his collegiate games during his final two seasons of a four-year collegiate playing career at Stanford (2009-12) in which he compiled 113 tackles including a career-high 65 stops when he started a career-high all 14 contests as a 2013 senior

Terrence Brown Coaching History
Season: Team – Coaching Position (Postseason, Champions)
2015 (Spring): Cal Poly – Cornerbacks
2015: Washington – Defensive Graduate Assistant (Heart Of Dallas Bowl)
2016: Washington – Defensive Graduate Assistant (College Football Playoff, Peach Bowl, Pac-12 Champion, Pac-12 North Champion)
2017: Washington – Defensive Graduate Assistant (Fiesta Bowl, Pac-12 North Co-Champion)
2018: Vanderbilt – Cornerbacks (Texas Bowl)
2019: Vanderbilt – Cornerbacks
2020: Washington – Assistant Defensive Backs (Pac-12 North Champion)
2021: Washington – Assistant Defensive Backs
Present: California – Defensive Backs

Terrence Brown File
Birthdate: March 4, 1991
Hometown: Los Angeles, CA
High School: Orange Lutheran HS
College: Stanford, 2013, BA, Science, Technology and Society; Washington, 2017, MA, Education
Family: Wife – Courtney; Son – Ty

Discussion from...

Terrence Brown Added To Coaching Staff

9,608 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by burritos
BearoutEast67
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sounds solid - Go Bears!
What about special teams?
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
Cal Strong!
This is now our second coach with deep ties to furd. Why can't Wilcox understand how much we hate stanfurd and want nothing to do with their weak spawn?
Golden One
BearoutEast67 said:

Sounds solid - Go Bears!
Sounds good, but can he recruit?
MoragaBear
Staff
BearoutEast67 said:

Sounds solid - Go Bears!
Since there was only one position coach opening, I'm assuming one of the assistant coaches will add special teams duties to their current responsibilities, like McClure or Chryst.
stanfurdbites
Not understanding this. He better be a damn good recruiter
LunchTime
>Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox

When did this start?
MoragaBear
Staff
stanfurdbites said:

Why?
jy1988
If he's a good coach, he's a good coach. Previous school ties don't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't even bother me if part of the rationale for a hire like this was so that, over time, a guy like this is groomed as an eventual replacement for JW (figuring that JW succeeds here and gets us to a major bowl before going back to UO). Plus, the fact that he is Black is also a plus, since there is currently a dearth of AA coaches in the power football conferences.
GoldenBearofCalifornia
MoragaBear said:

stanfurdbites said:

Why?

I cannot speak for stanfurdbites, but why would we need another defensive backs coach if we already have Tre Watson? Does he have a reputation of being a great recruiter? Thanks in advance.
Cal Strong!
jy1988 said:

If he's a good coach, he's a good coach. Previous school ties don't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't even bother me if part of the rationale for a hire like this was so that, over time, a guy like this is groomed as an eventual replacement for JW (figuring that JW succeeds here and gets us to a major bowl before going back to UO). Plus, the fact that he is Black is also a plus, since there is currently a dearth of AA coaches in the power football conferences.
jy1988 posting WEAK today . . . like furd. But Cal not weak. Cal STRONG!

jy1988 need to toughen up his thinking. Be more like Cal, less like weak internet pervert stanfurd alumnus.

There absolutely no positives to having a stanfurd alum as our head football coach.
MoragaBear
Staff
GoldenBearofCalifornia said:

MoragaBear said:

stanfurdbites said:

Why?

I cannot speak for stanfurdbites, but why would we need another defensive backs coach if we already have Tre Watson? Does he have a reputation of being a great recruiter? Thanks in advance.
Lots of programs have a safeties coach and CB coach, just like Cal currently has an ILB and OLB coach.

At UW, DB coach Will Harris and Jimmy Lake handled much of the DB recruiting so it's hard to say how strong a recruiter he can be. I assume he impressed Wilcox in his interview. I doubt he'd bring on a young coach who wouldn't be a recruiting asset.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
MoragaBear said:

stanfurdbites said:

Why?
Our early signing class ranks (TOS) 8th in conference, 57th nationally.
2021 class ranked 3rd, 28th nationally.
2020 class ranked 8th, 39th ".
2019 class ranked 8th, 43rd ".
2018 class ranked 8th, 42nd ".

So, our coaches are either regressing in recruiting results, or perhaps simply returning to their default setting of 8th best recruiters in conference and low forties nationally. An injection, one (or seven) booster shots if you will, of proven recruiters would spike up the talent in our quest for athletic wellness. Currently, this recruiting boost is particularly needed more on the offensive side (other than receivers and running backs, which have been solid).

Some (many?) of us were hoping the new hire to be a proven recruiter, especially of fast-learning, cool-under-pressure, strong-armed, consistent PASSERS (who can see open non-primary receivers and deliver in tight windows, step up in a collapsing pocket to buy a bit more time, zip long & accurate passes, trust themselves & their TEs to win battles for the ball, and complete check-downs on time on 2nd-and-fours so receivers aren't constantly tackled at the LOS) and bellicose, spry-footed, stout, smart O-LINEMEN (who can run-block, pass-protect consistently, and adjust in real-time to mind-twisting blitzes).
Alkiadt
Cal Strong! said:

jy1988 said:

jy1988 need to toughen up his thinking. Be more like Cal, less like weak internet pervert stanfurd alumnus.

There absolutely no positives to having a stanfurd alum as our head football coach.
Stanford once hired John Ralston, a Cal grad.
Two Rose Bowls and a Heisman Trophy winner worked out pretty well for them.

rkt88edmo
LunchTime said:

When did this start?
I couldn't proceed through the article without scrolling down to find out about this...sounds like an endowed chair lol, very academical
Marty
If he's a good coach and Cal benefits, then it's a good hire. No different than any other coaching hire. I'm assuming from your comments that you would also have been against hiring Bill Walsh or Mike White, since both coached at Stanford in addition to coaching at Cal...
UrsineMaximus
Cal Strong! said:

jy1988 said:

Charmin Smith is a graduate of 'furd with 2 degrees in engineering (civil and environmental). She has been a great leader for the young women on Cal's WBB team. This is a POSITIVE for the women on the team and for Cal. I get that you are being preposterous for the sake of being silly and attracting attention to yourself.

Go Bears!! Go Coach Smith!!
UrsineMaximus
Surprisingly, or perhaps not, Cal has not been able to land blue chips on the defense despite having a top defense in the conference. This was true even when GA was here coaching up "The Takers" and putting them into the League. And yet Cal is a top defense. Cal's staff has done a good job identifying talent or taking talent and finding the right position for them e.g. Weaver from DL to ILB or Paster from S to ILB or Hicks from CB to S (All Conference).

Should Cal land a blue chip or 2 or 4, Cal will still be a developmental program. The staff has done a good job identifying that talent and developing them e.g. Rutchena / Oladejo. The staff, IMO, has done a good job recruiting on defense and that talent should be seen on the field next year along with the aforementioned players that developed and gained experience this year. During Summer camp one should look for development with: Calhoun, Wilkins, M. Williams, Barth, Young, among others.

I agree top notch recruiters are important and it would be nice to land 4*s and 5*s each and every class. Browning the DL coach stands out as a top recruiter and developer of talent. A winning record will provide the opportunity to land some higher rated players.

Lastly, even with the departure of Hicks and perhaps Scott, Cal will have a top 3 if not the best D in the conference next year.
rafterfan180
LunchTime said:

When did this start?
https://calbears.com/news/2021/3/19/cal-football-head-coaching-position-endowed.aspx
Cal Strong!
Marty said:

If he's a good coach and Cal benefits, then it's a good hire. No different than any other coaching hire. I'm assuming from your comments that you would also have been against hiring Bill Walsh or Mike White, since both coached at Stanford in addition to coaching at Cal...
Bill Walsh coached at stanfurd after he was at Cal.

Yes, Cal Strong would have been against hiring Mike White as HC, since he had already left Cal to go coach at furd. Then he came back to Cal and went 2-4 in the Big Game. WEAK!

Cal Strong!
UrsineMaximus said:

Charmin Smith is a graduate of 'furd with 2 degrees in engineering (civil and environmental). She has been a great leader for the young women on Cal's WBB team. This is a POSITIVE for the women on the team and for Cal. I get that you are being preposterous for the sake of being silly and attracting attention to yourself.

Go Bears!! Go Coach Smith!!
stanfurd won the WBB national championship last year, while Charmin Smith "led" Cal to a 1-16 record. She a sleeper agent.

The purpose of athletics at Cal is not to have a "POSITIVE" person as a head coach. The purpose of athletics at Cal is to beat stanfurd.

Under Smith's leadership, stanfurd won a national championship last year. Cal won only a single game . . . and lost sixteen games. Cal Strong no care how positive a coach is if she lose to CSU Bakersfield.

This isn't about drawing attention to Cal Strong. This is a serious issue. Some people on this board think people like Smith and Wilcox are great coaches just because they appear to be nice folks. But we aren't paying them to be nice folks. We paying them to win games. And most importantly, to beat stanfurd.
Alkiadt
Cal Strong! said:

Marty said:

Bill Walsh coached at stanfurd after he was at Cal.

Yes, Cal Strong would have been against hiring Mike White as HC, since he had already left Cal to go coach at furd. Then he came back to Cal and went 2-4 in the Big Game. WEAK!

Dude...all your **** is weak.
Pittstop
Or a former Stanfurd coach, like Mike Montgomery? It seemed like that worked out pretty good for Cal.
UrsineMaximus
Well you yourself have said that on any year Cal beats 'furd the coach should get an additional year and yet you want Wilcox removed. So which is it, Wilcox gets another year and you accept that or the continuous rant for a year?
eabandit
In the tech industry it's common for rivals/competitors to hire from another. e.g. Google hiring from Apple and vice versa.

If Terrence can use that big Stanfurd-educated brain to recruit and coach us to victories, and denounce his alma mater, I am all for this. He has Wilcox's seal of approval in the hiring statement.

If he wears even a smidgen of red I assume he will need to take it off immediately. Go Terrence and Go Bears!
Cal Strong!
UrsineMaximus said:

Well you yourself have said that on any year Cal beats 'furd the coach should get an additional year and yet you want Wilcox removed. So which is it, Wilcox gets another year and you accept that or the continuous rant for a year?
Wilcox's record merits dismissal. After 5 years, he has lost more games than he has won.

But can't fire him this year, since he beat furd. He gets another year to try to turn things around. But if he keeps up his losing ways and loses to furd next year, then he should be dismissed.
Cal Strong!
Pittstop said:

Or a former Stanfurd coach, like Mike Montgomery? It seemed like that worked out pretty good for Cal.
Monty was a mostly strong coach at Cal. But he never get us past the third round. And his record was better when he was at furd.

The fact that Monty sits on a pedestal is more a testament to how bad Ben Braun and the guys who came after Monty were.
eabandit
Plus, how much of a sweet repudiation of Stanfurd would it be to have one of their own alumni coaching for their arch rival, recruiting away from them, and decimating them? If Terrence is all in I'm all in.

I would love to see their tears upon being defeated by one of "their own". We shouldn't avoid Furd coaches, if they're good, we should welcome them. It'd be a different situation if it were a Cal alum going to Furd.

Go Bears!!!!
Cal Strong!
eabandit said:

Plus, how much of a sweet repudiation of Stanfurd would it be to have one of their own alumni coaching for their arch rival, recruiting away from them, and decimating them? If Terrence is all in I'm all in.

I would love to see their tears upon being defeated by one of "their own". We shouldn't avoid Furd coaches, if they're good, we should welcome them. It'd be a different situation if it were a Cal alum going to Furd.

Go Bears!!!!
We should compromise, like strong people sometimes must do:

Let us Strong folk agree that best option is to invite a "good" furd coach in for an interview, just so we can beat him up and imprison him in the basement of memorial stadium. This for good of everyone. While we have him, maybe we can teach him how to read.

Literacy STRONG!!!
eabandit
Once the candidate is able to read they will come to their senses, disavow their diploma from Furd and coach us to strong victory. Go Bears!
Rushinbear
eabandit said:

Go Bears!!!!
At this point, Terence is most likely plotting a career path for himself and not tempering it with concessions to the Jr. Farm.
Big C
Cal Strong! said:

Pittstop said:

Monty was a mostly strong coach at Cal. But he never get us past the third round. And his record was better when he was at furd.

The fact that Monty sits on a pedestal is more a testament to how bad Ben Braun and the guys who came after Monty were.

If you're referring to March Madness, he never even got us past the second round.
calumnus
eabandit said:

Go Bears!!!!

Revenge for Ralston.
calumnus
Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

Pittstop said:

If you're referring to March Madness, he never even got us past the second round.

Monty was a better regular season coach than tournament coach. His one Final Four run at Stanford was predicated on upsets clearing their path. His postseason record otherwise (especially at Cal) usually featured disappointing early round losses.
91Cal
This would appear to be a very positive reaction (even if he is an offensive player):

Cal Strong!
Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

Pittstop said:

Strong point, Big C. I guess some of the stats sites are now referring to the play-in games as "round 1" and the round of 64 as "round 2."

That's weak. Cal Strong should have caught that sooner.

But that's the point: posters here seem to think we should hire furd coaches so we can win a championship. If that worked, then maybe that would be a strong idea. But it doesn't work. The strongest example is Monty -- who never got us more than a single tournament win in any season. Even that goof Ben Braun got us the Sweet 16 once.

But Monty is still the strongest example. Let's look on the other end of the spectrum: Charmin Smith was 1-16 last year . . . while furd won the national championship.

Does anyone really think this Terrence Brown guy is closer to Monty than that Charmin Smith? Or is he even better than Monty and will lead us to a Pac-12 championship next year? Cal Strong has his doubts.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.