My dad died Wednesday. A true Bear.

4,874 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cal Junkie
LunchTime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He had on his game day Cal shirt. His dad (101 years old, who started my family's Cal tradition the year Cal last won the Rose Bowl) and family was with him.

He posted here, but as he aged, he mostly waited for me to come over and make me defend my opinion in my posts in person. "What's your evidence" must have been said to me at least once for every damn thing I ever said.

He took me to every home game for 30 something years, until I started taking him. His last game was the Redbox bowl in seats that were "too expensive" that my cousin (another Cal grad) and I conspired to buy for him and Gramps.

My dad started worked at Berkeley Labs, I can't recall when, but walking past Soda, he would often comment on the emergency response when they accidentally set off an alarm for the reactor under Etcheverry. My first binders were what held the calculations of trajectories for the first ballistic spy satellite coverage of the Soviets and the trajectories for our nukes, before we could guide them in space. Every few months he would tell us about some newly declassified thing he did decades ago. He spent most of career at LLNL doing whatever it was he did, leading his division.

My dad was nearly always the smartest person in the room (except when I was about 13 to 18, and he was the dumbest), regardless of where he was. The Pentagon, Langley, Capital, Lab etc. Always ahead of potential problems with potential solutions... but it bit him in the ass when he didn't realize that sometimes you have to actually put in the work and failed out of Cal and had to work his way back in.

His parents met at Cal. My parents met at Cal undergrad and grad. My uncle's went to Cal. My sister went to Cal (but I detoured to the Marines). My cousin iirc has the on base percentage record for Cal, playing shortstop and catcher before he coached for the bears. A few other cousins went to Cal. His brother did the seismic reports for the stadium rebuild... We are a Cal family if such a thing ever existed. All of our "Cal group" my whole life was his friends from school 60 years ago. They became my family as much as they were his. When I was late for ITB because of 9/11, it was that family that got me to Pendleton.

During high school, my dad got tickets for Rittenberg (the ESPN guy), who would always come to games with us, and watch away games at our house. My dad taught him what it meant to be a Cal fan when he jumped up to celebrate our win at WSU when we got to the two yard line an the snow. "It isnt over yet, Adam..."

My dad, since high school always joked "find yourself someone who has a graduate degree from Cal and keep them," bragging about my mom, "that will stimulate your mind and keep you happy." I met my wife in undergrad at Nevada and tricked her into applying at Cal (she was certain it was out of her reach), and only told her after I put a ring on it.

It worked, because I was able to fool my wife into bringing my dad to every game for the last decade or so (thanks to Lynch ridding the cart her first game), and my life has plenty of intellectual stimulation.

Because of his personality and work with Nukes, we always had a fully stocked and rotated fallout shelter ready to deploy. (Why not a bunker? Because we would only need it if the Soviets missed, a lot. If they didn't, a bunker wouldn't matter). Able to seal up the house, suits to go outside, food, water, fuel, and of course massive amounts of toilet paper, in every box, everywhere. My mom threw it away when getting ready for a remodel in late 2019. In March 2020, he just smiled and shrugged.

He got to go to the 2019 Big Game with his first grandson (6mths then), and close out his football experience with wins on TV over Furd and SC. His mind was going, so he was able to re experience finding out Cal beat Furd and USC several times, watching clips from both games, and watching a post USC game video I took for him.

He was reading California Math and Stanford Math publications in his last days, learning to the end. He had hoped to see the images of James Webb, but he knew it had unpacked and was on its way.

I love Cal because he loved Cal. I love the band because he loved the band. I stay to the last play because he was too depressed to stand up for The Play. I love campus because he loved campus. I love top dog because he loved top dog... And so on.

Go Bears!
LunchTime
https://imgur.com/a/UrrTycc

2019 opener, 2021 lair 9th week with 4 generations, and 2019 BG.

Big C

Deepest condolences for your loss. Your love for your dad (and for Cal) jumps off the screen in what you wrote. In the future, if I ever ask you "What's your evidence?", it will be with your dad in mind.
Bear04
So sorry for your loss and Cal's loss. That was a very touching write up. Thank you so much for sharing.
bonsallbear
Lunch
You're a lucky man to have had such a wonderful relationship with your dad.
going4roses
So sorry for the loss of your pops hang in there
Make sure y'all celebrate his amazing life !!!
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
B.A. Bearacus
Very sorry for your loss Lunchtime. That was a very loving tribute.
LunchTime
Big C said:

Deepest condolences for your loss. Your love for your dad (and for Cal) jumps off the screen in what you wrote. In the future, if I ever ask you "What's your evidence?", it will be with your dad in mind.

"What's your evidence?"

"X, Y, B"

"Why do you think those are connected?"

eabandit
Thank you for sharing this part of your and your dad's lives with us. It's both touching and inspiring to read about your family and relationship to Cal and how the school and community has strengthened it.

Go Bears and Go LunchTime's Dad!
Goobear
Very sorry for your loss. May your dad Rest In Peace. Thank you for your story. Wishing you strength and peace.
GivemTheAxe
LunchTime said:

He had on his game day Cal shirt. His dad (101 years old, who started my family's Cal tradition the year Cal last won the Rose Bowl) and family was with him.

He posted here, but as he aged, he mostly waited for me to come over and make me defend my opinion in my posts in person. "What's your evidence" must have been said to me at least once for every damn thing I ever said.

He took me to every home game for 30 something years, until I started taking him. His last game was the Redbox bowl in seats that were "too expensive" that my cousin (another Cal grad) and I conspired to buy for him and Gramps.

My dad started worked at Berkeley Labs, I can't recall when, but walking past Soda, he would often comment on the emergency response when they accidentally set off an alarm for the reactor under Etcheverry. My first binders were what held the calculations of trajectories for the first ballistic spy satellite coverage of the Soviets and the trajectories for our nukes, before we could guide them in space. Every few months he would tell us about some newly declassified thing he did decades ago. He spent most of career at LLNL doing whatever it was he did, leading his division.

My dad was nearly always the smartest person in the room (except when I was about 13 to 18, and he was the dumbest), regardless of where he was. The Pentagon, Langley, Capital, Lab etc. Always ahead of potential problems with potential solutions... but it bit him in the ass when he didn't realize that sometimes you have to actually put in the work and failed out of Cal and had to work his way back in.

His parents met at Cal. My parents met at Cal undergrad and grad. My uncle's went to Cal. My sister went to Cal (but I detoured to the Marines). My cousin iirc has the on base percentage record for Cal, playing shortstop and catcher before he coached for the bears. A few other cousins went to Cal. His brother did the seismic reports for the stadium rebuild... We are a Cal family if such a thing ever existed. All of our "Cal group" my whole life was his friends from school 60 years ago. They became my family as much as they were his. When I was late for ITB because of 9/11, it was that family that got me to Pendleton.

During high school, my dad got tickets for Rittenberg (the ESPN guy), who would always come to games with us, and watch away games at our house. My dad taught him what it meant to be a Cal fan when he jumped up to celebrate our win at WSU when we got to the two yard line an the snow. "It isnt over yet, Adam..."

My dad, since high school always joked "find yourself someone who has a graduate degree from Cal and keep them," bragging about my mom, "that will stimulate your mind and keep you happy." I met my wife in undergrad at Nevada and tricked her into applying at Cal (she was certain it was out of her reach), and only told her after I put a ring on it.

It worked, because I was able to fool my wife into bringing my dad to every game for the last decade or so (thanks to Lynch ridding the cart her first game), and my life has plenty of intellectual stimulation.

Because of his personality and work with Nukes, we always had a fully stocked and rotated fallout shelter ready to deploy. (Why not a bunker? Because we would only need it if the Soviets missed, a lot. If they didn't, a bunker wouldn't matter). Able to seal up the house, suits to go outside, food, water, fuel, and of course massive amounts of toilet paper, in every box, everywhere. My mom threw it away when getting ready for a remodel in late 2019. In March 2020, he just smiled and shrugged.

He got to go to the 2019 Big Game with his first grandson (6mths then), and close out his football experience with wins on TV over Furd and SC. His mind was going, so he was able to re experience finding out Cal beat Furd and USC several times, watching clips from both games, and watching a post USC game video I took for him.

He was reading California Math and Stanford Math publications in his last days, learning to the end. He had hoped to see the images of James Webb, but he knew it had unpacked and was on its way.

I love Cal because he loved Cal. I love the band because he loved the band. I stay to the last play because he was too depressed to stand up for The Play. I love campus because he loved campus. I love top dog because he loved top dog... And so on.

Go Bears!

Great post. I am sorry your dad is gone to the Memorial stadium in the sky. I truly believe that there is a Heaven and a Hell and that all true Cal fans should go to heaven because we have suffered enough here on Earth yet keep coming back for more.
Your father seems to have been the epitome of the True Believer in Cal. Not only did he talk the talk but he walked the walk
Celebrate his life don't mourn his death.
KenBurnski
Sorry to hear about your dad, LT. thanks for sharing those great memories of him. Best to you and your family.
GoldenBearofCalifornia
LunchTime, I am so very sorry to hear about your dad passing away. It sounds he was a true Golden Bear and that he made you one too. I am glad he was able to experience the 2019 Big Game, because that win was truly glorious! That is also wonderful that he saw our wins against furd and SC this year. That has not happened a lot in the recent past. I hope you and your family are hanging in there.
sonofabear51
Lunchtime, a very heart felt post. True Golden Bears all of you. A life well lived, and a celebrated one also. My condolences to you and your family. There are no words to accurately describe, I am sure. But you and yours have the support of the Cal community.

Peace to you & yours.
Start Slowly and taper off
edwinbear
Sounds like the breed of Golden Bear most can only ever aspire to be. Condolences, and may he RIP.
Wife Strong!
I am sorry for your loss, LunchTime. It sounds like he had a long and strong run, and that he raised you well.

From my own experience, one never really, fully gets over the pain of the loss of a parent. The pain reduces and slightly morphs over time, but sadly, it stays with you. I, Cal Strong, and other strong posters care about you. Our family will pray for all the stress and difficulty of the next few weeks.

May I ask what your father's handle on this site was?
calbearinamaze
LT: Keep posting IF you need/want to.

We're here for you in any case.

GO BEARS!!!
82gradDLSdad
I tear up a lot these days...one of the good things about getting old, I guess. Your post made me tear up. Your dad had a good life it sounds like. You're having a good life it sounds like. That's all we can ask for I guess. RIP to your father. Go Bears...for him.
bearister
Your Dad hit a home run with his life: He had the love and respect of his child (children). Wonderful tribute and I am sorry for your loss.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
chalcidbear
Thank you for sharing - a great tribute for a true Cal guy.
SBGold
What a tribute and what a man. One of the great things about Cal is that our best is our nation's best as well. Your dad was one of our best.

RIP
Unit2Sucks
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great man who will live on through his family and the people he impacted along the way.
Go!Bears
82gradDLSdad said:

I tear up a lot these days...
It got me too. Reminded me of my mom and dad, gone 30 years now. You were lucky to have such a dad, such a Cal family. Stay close to them. I regret that over time I have lost connection to their sorority & fraternity brothers and sisters and their kids who were like my cousins - especially summers at the Lair. You have inspired me. I hate Facebook but I think I will go looking for them...

Very sorry for your loss.
wifeisafurd
Great picture of the four generations of sturdy Golden Bears. Condolences for your loss... a wonderful tribute.
GrandpaBear
As one of the "CAL Group" you mentioned in you post, I am so sorry for your loss and the loss to your whole family, and our CAL family. I knew your dad starting from my freshman year at CAL in 1963. Almost all of our gang from then to now has been kept together by him. He was fiercely loyal to us and to CAL. You didn't mention that your parents house is the same house he started renting back when we were all at CAL and hung out at. That was him, it was important to keep the CAL spirit alive. The CAL group would gather at your parent's place before every home game and then travel to our tailgate place in Lower Hearst. We also had our special location at Stanford for the Big Game where we would gather. Me, my wife (who we turned into CAL fanatic even though de never attended CAL), my kids who all grew up in Section TT will miss him greatly.
philbert
Sorry for your loss. I salute his service to our country and for being a great Golden Bear.
79 Bear
Thanks for the great, touching write-up. Sounds like your Dad was quite a guy and that he had a terrific run. Condolences and best wishes to you and your family. No doubt your Dad will be there come kickoff in the fall. Perhaps he can pull a few strings and get us to the Promised Land (Pasadena) next season. Go Bears!
Dgoldnbaer
My condolences to you & your family.We lost a True Blue.
heartofthebear
LunchTime said:

Go Bears!

Thank you.
Your father lives on through your words and your heart.
bearister
"His parents met at Cal."

If your grandfather was Cal '42, my mom was in his class.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
Sorry for your loss, but I'm thrilled that you got to have so many Cal experiences with him.

glb78
So sorry for your loss. Great write up about your dad. Much love to you and yours. Go Bears.
bearsandgiants
Sorry for your loss! Extraordinary write-up. Must be especially hard for your grandpa, too. It sounds like your dad lived an extraordinary life, a big part of it being that he helped shape who you are and can rest knowing he did very well. go bears
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong very sorry for your loss, LunchTime. Times like this make Cal Strong think of Yehuda HaLevi's reflection on death. it is nearly 900 years old now, but it touch Cal Strong deep in the heart, quite strongly. Entire Strong Family praying for you and your loved ones. Stay strong, brother!

'Tis a fearful thing
to love what death can touch.

A fearful thing
to love, to hope, to dream, to be
to be,
And oh, to lose.

A thing for fools, this,
And a holy thing,
a holy thing
to love.

For your life has lived in me,
your laugh once lifted me,
your word was gift to me.

To remember this brings painful joy.
'Tis a human thing, love,
a holy thing, to love
what death has touched.
KoreAmBear
Very sorry for your loss, and my deepest condolences. Thank you for sharing a part of his story.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.