Story Poster
Photo by Bear Insider
Cal Football

Cal Football Spring Practice Report #3

April 9, 2022

MEMORIAL STADIUM -Spring practice #3 saw an idyllic, almost festive atmosphere at Memorial Stadium today with a bright blue, cloudless sky, mid-60s temps with a comfortable breeze with many family members and visiting recruits in attendance and a massive barbeque station set up near the North tunnel to feed an anxious group of players, coaches, families, and recruits afterward.

Even though the official practice time started at 11:30, there was a half-hour of well-executed drills that started at least a half-hour before the slated start time.

The players were in full shoulder pads and helmets for the first time today along with shorts.

The star of the day may have been redshirt soph receiver Tommy Christakos. Spotting his parents with his mom sporting a Christakos 89 t-shirt, I introduced myself and told them how talented their son was. Almost on cue, the 6-4 WR hauled in a tough sideline catch from QB Jack Plummer in tight coverage by CB Lu-Magia Hearns, a tough 15-yard grab in traffic from Plummer, and capped off practice with a beautiful high point catch in the red zone on a Robby Rowell pass on the final play of practice, with rousing cheers from his offensive teammates.

Tight end Jermaine Terry looked like a new player compared to last season, checking in at a lean 257. He moves really well at that weight and has all the looks of a real weapon at the TE position. Terry combined with redshirt frosh QB Kai Millner for a perfect seam route for a 20+ yard gain -an element of the Bears’ offense that was sorely lacking in recent seasons.

Terry clearly worked hard in the offseason and reportedly has been a leader in the TE room -a role he seems to be relishing. 

“This offseason for sure has been tremendous,” said Terry. “I’ve seen a lot of growth. But when it comes to being a leader, that’s something that’s naturally inside of me. I’m trying to put that out and help the team any way I can. I want to be that guy. If that’s me taking on a leadership role where guys can look at me and say, ‘That’s how it’s done the right way,’ then I’m all for it. But overall, this offseason's just been all about work.”

Other standout plays during practice included a nice 25-yard grab from WR Jeremiah Hunter from QB Ryan Glover along with an athletic TD grab on a perfectly thrown pass by Plummer, another Glover pass to JMichael Sturdivant, who made a very athletic play for a tough catch in coverage. a Kai Millner keeper for 20 yards down the left sideline and a nice juking DeCarlos Brooks run up the middle.

On defense, a couple of standout plays included a nice Hearns recovery and pass breakup with a well-timed hit, a Xavier Carlton sack, and a Kyle Smith sack and forced fumble.

Early on, transfer ILB Jackson Sirmon and Femi Oladejo seem to have an edge at the starting ILB position, with Nate Rutchena and Trey Pastor also seeing a lot of time.

Transitioning from DB and WR in high school to inside linebacker, where he saw significant success last season as a true freshman required a bit of a physical transformation for the soph ILB.

“I'm still figuring it out, trying to get stronger and put on new mass,” said Rutchena. I came in at 204 so I put on like 25 pounds really quickly.”

Rutchena was also complimentary of the veteran influence and work ethic that Sirmon brings to the field.

The Bears will return to the field Monday morning at 10 for session number four. The practice is open to the public.

More stories:

https://bearinsider.com/s/3078/bears-host-strong-group-of-prospects-as-spring-ball-kicks-off-this-week

Bears Host Strong Group of Prospects as Spring Ball Kicks Off This Week

Discussion from...

Cal Football Spring Practice Report #3

6,395 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BearForce2
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice report, thanks! My optimism is growing.
AunBear89
calumnus said:

It always starts that way. . .
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearForce2
AunBear89 said:

calumnus said:

It always starts that way. . .

We're going to the Rose Bowl next year you heard me?!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.