OT: Oppenheimer film being shot on Cal campus

19,699 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Boot
juarezbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

3146gabby said:

Did not see anything that looked like UCLA...the main shots seemed to be entering what was the large science building in the 1960s/70s, views looking up to the Campanile with the lib on the left...interior shots could have been anywhere....

didn't they shoot scenes from Berkeley for The Graduate all at UCLA?

UC Berkeley forbid The Graduate from filming on campus, so they filmed at USC.

But they "stole" a shot of Dustin Hoffman in Sproul Plaza. They also filmed across from Unit 3 and of course Telegraph Avenue and the frat across from Unit 1.

Here are some of the tweets from UCLA's film shoot.

They might've shot interiors at UCLA. I saw the movie last night and didn't see anything that resembled UCLA in the show. Also, Nolan is a fanatic for authenticity, so I seriously doubt he shot exterior scenes to double Cal at UCLA. The movie is tremendous. I saw it on 70mm on a small-ish screen (Landmark WeHo). Some colleagues of mine saw it at the Chinese on 70mm Imax and said it was weird because they cut between Imax and another picture ratio so it was a little jarring for them. Regardless, I encourage everyone to see it.....BTW - I also saw Barbie with my wife and thought it was immensely entertaining.
MoragaBear
Staff
3146gabby said:

Saw Oppenheimer last nite; could have been edited down a wee bit, but just a stunning movie. All actors were superb; Robert Downey Jr revealed again [Chaplin] what a remarkable actor his is. Damon was great and the cameos also, Kenneth Branagh as Neils Bohr, Gary Oldman as Harry Truman.

The campus was easily recognizable, but not a lot of variety...fun to see and gave the movie a sense of reality....

Most of all Nolan succeeded at telling a story of complexity, nuance and reminded us that nothing is as simple or one-dimensional as current dialogue suggests.

One of the top 10 movies I've ever seen.
Saw Oppenheimer with my wife and youngest son (a senior at Cal) the other night and found it fascinating and very well done. Also am a huge Cillian Murphy fan, especially in Peaky Blinders. Never pictured Scarecrow from Batman having such a prolific career.

Here's some info on the filming on campus: https://physics.berkeley.edu/news-events/news/oppenheimer-film-crew-sends-ucberkeley-back-to-1940s
Bear8
GoCal80 said:

To each his own. One of my favorite campuses is Cornell. The setting is amazing and it is different but beautiful in each of the seasons. Cal is my second favorite campus after Cornell. Princeton is not to my tastes at all. It is too manicured and too perfect. To me it seems artificial, like Disneyland or something.
YES!!! It has a great bell tower with a view of one of the Finger Lakes. It is well-situated and well-planned.

SonomanA1
MoragaBear said:

3146gabby said:

Saw Oppenheimer last nite; could have been edited down a wee bit, but just a stunning movie. All actors were superb; Robert Downey Jr revealed again [Chaplin] what a remarkable actor his is. Damon was great and the cameos also, Kenneth Branagh as Neils Bohr, Gary Oldman as Harry Truman.

The campus was easily recognizable, but not a lot of variety...fun to see and gave the movie a sense of reality....

Most of all Nolan succeeded at telling a story of complexity, nuance and reminded us that nothing is as simple or one-dimensional as current dialogue suggests.

One of the top 10 movies I've ever seen.
Saw Oppenheimer with my wife and youngest son (a senior at Cal) the other night and found it fascinating and very well done. Also am a huge Cillian Murphy fan, especially in Peaky Blinders. Never pictured Scarecrow from Batman having such a prolific career.

Here's some info on the filming on campus: https://physics.berkeley.edu/news-events/news/oppenheimer-film-crew-sends-ucberkeley-back-to-1940s.
Link does not work. Maybe I lost my security clearance.

Page not found

The requested page could not be found.
philbert
remove the period at the end of the link
SFCityBear
bearister said:

Yes, I know but I got tangled by his description and I don't know where Unit 1 is. What is the Unit designation of the dorm at corner of College and Durant across from that frat?
I think the dorm you are thinking of is called Dearborn Hall, and it is part of the Unit 1 Housing complex. Unit 1 consist of 4 Residence Halls or dorms, which included Putnam and Deutsch Halls for men, along with Dearborn and Cheney Halls for women. Dearborn is located the Northeast corner of Durant and College Avenues.
SFCityBear
MoragaBear
Staff
philbert said:

remove the period at the end of the link
It works with or without the period for me but I edited it out from my post.
Larno
cal83dls79 said:

bearister said:

" They also filmed across from Unit 3 and of course Telegraph Avenue and the frat across from Unit 1."

Chuck Muncie and my buddy was in that frat. Theta Delta Chi.

uh that's college Ave where it ends at Durant uh where they filmed the graduate
In The Graduate Dustin Hoffman's character rented a room in an apartment in Berkeley (one of the other renters with a speaking part was a young Richard Dreyfuss). As he leaves the apartment it's shown to be right across the street from the First Presbyterian Church (the old original church). The building was there when I check for it years ago and probably still is.
juarezbear
juarezbear said:

okaydo said:

3146gabby said:

Did not see anything that looked like UCLA...the main shots seemed to be entering what was the large science building in the 1960s/70s, views looking up to the Campanile with the lib on the left...interior shots could have been anywhere....

didn't they shoot scenes from Berkeley for The Graduate all at UCLA?

UC Berkeley forbid The Graduate from filming on campus, so they filmed at USC.

But they "stole" a shot of Dustin Hoffman in Sproul Plaza. They also filmed across from Unit 3 and of course Telegraph Avenue and the frat across from Unit 1.

Here are some of the tweets from UCLA's film shoot.

They might've shot interiors at UCLA. I saw the movie last night and didn't see anything that resembled UCLA in the show. Also, Nolan is a fanatic for authenticity, so I seriously doubt he shot exterior scenes to double Cal at UCLA. The movie is tremendous. I saw it on 70mm on a small-ish screen (Landmark WeHo). Some colleagues of mine saw it at the Chinese on 70mm Imax and said it was weird because they cut between Imax and another picture ratio so it was a little jarring for them. Regardless, I encourage everyone to see it.....BTW - I also saw Barbie with my wife and thought it was immensely entertaining.
They referenced a Professor Tolman in the movie. Isn't Tolman Hall next to the Campanile and where the Physics Department is located? Being a Film major, the only class I had in that building was an amazing Philosophy class with Professor Paul Feyerabend who is probably the most brilliant person I've ever met in my life. His lectures were amazing. He'd read everything. Anytime one of the students referenced a book, even if it wasn't part of the curriculum, he'd read it and could reference it in great detail. In many ways, that class and the people in it including Feyerabend, his TAs, and the students firmly verified my decision to attend Cal as the best decision of my life up to that point.
GoCal80
Tolman was the Pyschology building on Hearst and it is gone. Now there is a large construction project at that site for the beautiful new Data Science building.
okaydo
Larno said:

cal83dls79 said:

bearister said:

" They also filmed across from Unit 3 and of course Telegraph Avenue and the frat across from Unit 1."

Chuck Muncie and my buddy was in that frat. Theta Delta Chi.

uh that's college Ave where it ends at Durant uh where they filmed the graduate
In The Graduate Dustin Hoffman's character rented a room in an apartment in Berkeley (one of the other renters with a speaking part was a young Richard Dreyfuss). As he leaves the apartment it's shown to be right across the street from the First Presbyterian Church (the old original church). The building was there when I check for it years ago and probably still is.

The apartment was likely just a set on a soundstage in Hollywood. But there's a moment when they cut to him looking out the window after Elaine leaves and he watches her crossing dana on Channing. And you can see the southwestern part of Unit 3.

okaydo
I'm gonna watch Oppenheimer when I can watch it in the comfort of my home.

In the meantime, I started audiobooking American Prometheus. I'm up to the part where he begins at Berkeley, as us graduates like to call it.

The book is very good.

But one thing that struck me is how obsessed Oppenheimer was with the humanities. It stands in stark contrast to how humanities are derided nowadays.
Anarchistbear
Don't bother seeing the movie. Hollywood mythologizing; if you've read that book there is nothing to learn.
okaydo
Oppenheimer nearly filmed the Berkeley scenes at Pepperdine University.

okaydo
okaydo said:

I'm gonna watch Oppenheimer when I can watch it in the comfort of my home.

In the meantime, I started audiobooking American Prometheus. I'm up to the part where he begins at Berkeley, as us graduates like to call it.

The book is very good.

But one thing that struck me is how obsessed Oppenheimer was with the humanities. It stands in stark contrast to how humanities are derided nowadays.

Well, I've been enjoying the book so much that I decided on a whim to watch Oppenheimer at the Chinese Theater at 10 pm in Imax earlier this week.

I didn't want to spend 3 hours sitting next to people. So waiting this long to see it meant being 1 of 15 people in a 900-seat theater.

I loved it. I can't wait to see it again.

calumnus
okaydo said:

Oppenheimer nearly filmed the Berkeley scenes at Pepperdine University.

I always thought Malibu would be a great stand in for Berkeley.

?fit=1000%2C750&ssl=1
Boot
No soundstage my friends stepfather owned the building on the corner of Dana and Channing.
They also filmed the bus scene on Telegraph when she tells him she's going to the zoo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.