Wow! I got my Arthur Murray certificate

23 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bearister
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Now everybody should like me!!!
bearister
In it's heyday, Arthur Murray used to prey on the elderly like aluminum siding salesmen, getting them to sign contracts for a lot more dancing lessons than they wanted.

To this day, whenever I sign a long boilerplate contract I say, "I'm not signing up for lifetime dancing lessons with Arthur Murray am I?"

* But only the elderly get the reference
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
1CalFan
Blue, Congrats!
calumnus
bearister said:

In it's heyday, Arthur Murray used to prey on the elderly like aluminum siding salesmen, getting them to sign contracts for a lot more dancing lessons than they wanted.

To this day, whenever I sign a long boilerplate contract I say, "I'm not signing up for lifetime dancing lessons with Arthur Murray am I?"

* But only the elderly get the reference

The "preying on the elderly" one that gets me upset is the Gerber Life Grow Up Plan that gets elderly to take out life insurance policies on their grandchildren with the idea that it offers them "protection" while showing cute babies.

It does nothing to "insure your child or grandchild grows up." It provides a "death benefit" payout if your grandchild dies. Then at 18 it can provide a "cash benefit" payout "for college" equal to 55% of the money you put in.
evanluck
I'm a competitive ballroom dancer who started dancing 20 years ago at Arthur Murray. I saw the name of this thread and thought it was a mistake.

Many Arthur Murray studios do employ pretty aggressive sales tactics but being an independent teaching in the industry, I can see the origin of those tactics and how someone may employ them and still be able to sleep at night.

Learning to ballroom dance can be a life transformative activity as it was for the man Arthur Murray personally. But many people have trouble committing to the process of learning at a high enough level to really create the impact that they are looking for. Selling large packages of lessons creates commitment. Almost like paying for an all expense cruise. Once you take the big hit, then you are free to relax and learn. It works for people who have the money and for people who are comfortable saying "no" when they are being asked to buy something that they don't really want.
Blueblood
evanluck said:

I'm a competitive ballroom dancer who started dancing 20 years ago at Arthur Murray. I saw the name of this thread and thought it was a mistake.

Many Arthur Murray studios do employ pretty aggressive sales tactics but being an independent teaching in the industry, I can see the origin of those tactics and how someone may employ them and still be able to sleep at night.

Learning to ballroom dance can be a life transformative activity as it was for the man Arthur Murray personally. But many people have trouble committing to the process of learning at a high enough level to really create the impact that they are looking for. Selling large packages of lessons creates commitment. Almost like paying for an all expense cruise. Once you take the big hit, then you are free to relax and learn. It works for people who have the money and for people who are comfortable saying "no" when they are being asked to buy something that they don't really want.

TMI
bearister
Testing your memory from 3rd grade. Provide the missing line:

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear
Fuzzy Wuzzy had some hair
[missing line]
HearstMining
evanluck said:

My ballroom credentials are three Beginning Ballroom classes in the 1970s-1980s with three different gals (I married the last one). Big Band / Swing had a renaissance during the late 1970s a la Bette Midler, etc. Anybody else ever go tea dancing at the SF Hyatt Regency on Friday evenings? And it had a second renaissance in the late 1990s (the movie Swingers, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, etc.). I'm not great, but I can waltz, foxtrot, east coast swing, and cha-cha. The best instruction I ever got was, "Gentlemen, ballroom dancing isn't about being a great dancer, it's about making your partner look and feel like she's a great dancer."
bearister
What's old and wrinkled and smells like ginger?
HearstMining
bearister said:

Fred?
SFCityBear
Ah, Blueblood, dancing or not, we all loves ya, baby.
SFCityBear
bearister
HearstMining said:

bearister said:

Fred?

dimitrig
HearstMining said:

evanluck said:

My ballroom credentials are three Beginning Ballroom classes in the 1970s-1980s with three different gals (I married the last one). Big Band / Swing had a renaissance during the late 1970s a la Bette Midler, etc. Anybody else ever go tea dancing at the SF Hyatt Regency on Friday evenings? And it had a second renaissance in the late 1990s (the movie Swingers, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, etc.). I'm not great, but I can waltz, foxtrot, east coast swing, and cha-cha. The best instruction I ever got was, "Gentlemen, ballroom dancing isn't about being a great dancer, it's about making your partner look and feel like she's a great dancer."

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred did…backwards and in high heels.

Blueblood
dimitrig said:

HearstMining said:

evanluck said:

"Hey, walking backwards is really easy just
like thinking backwards is easy for backward people!"
bearister
My brain sees him walking forward….isn't that a Mindhunter issue?
Blueblood
bearister said:

My brain sees him walking forward….isn't that a Mindhunter issue?
I don't have time to watch too much TV because I'm in the courtroom (no not as an attorney but as a defendant) too much or on travel! I just got back from Poland and Turkey.
bearister
I just got back from The Village.

GivemTheAxe
dimitrig said:

HearstMining said:

evanluck said:

Yes But she never tap danced upside down on the ceiling like Fred did
bearister
GivemTheAxe said:

dimitrig said:

HearstMining said:

evanluck said:

Yes But she never tap danced upside down on the ceiling like Fred did

…and she was never in a burning high rise with McQueen, Newman and The Juice!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.