We did not make Rashada's top 5

3,918 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TomBear
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per his Twitter (don't know how to link).

You would think the local team would get a little sympathy love and fall in his final three to sit haplessly on the table at the end.
WalterSobchak

Eastern Oregon Bear
Perhaps Rashada will rethink his top 5 when he's in the transfer portal a year or two from now.
WalterSobchak
It's a good plan for him. Get max paid now and take your shot to win it all. If things don't work out the way you hope, come back home and get a quality degree with a chance to restart your football career at a place that can still take you to the top of the profession. Probably better for Cal that way too. Removes "what if" wondering. As for the courtesy hat, that concept is dead now for top players I think. This delay is clearly to allow more time for bidding and the finalists are the most aggressive bidders. Cost of leaving a non-player like Cal in the mix is too great. Makes perfect sense in the new era.
Rushinbear
WalterSobchak said:

It's a good plan for him. Get max paid now and take your shot to win it all. If things don't work out the way you hope, come back home and get a quality degree with a chance to restart your football career at a place that can still take you to the top of the profession. Probably better for Cal that way too. Removes "what if" wondering. As for the courtesy hat, that concept is dead now for top players I think. This delay is clearly to allow more time for bidding and the finalists are the most aggressive bidders. Cost of leaving a non-player like Cal in the mix is too great. Makes perfect sense in the new era.

He adopts our 40 year decision theme and turns his back on us? Maybe we are still in it.
Big C
fat_slice said:

You would think the local team would get a little sympathy love and fall in his final three to sit haplessly on the table at the end.

He gave us a shout-out-to-the-local-school when he put us in his Top Seven. Now he's got five paying schools competing against each another for maximum NIL deal.

And let's keep it real: How many three-star-or-higher football recruits have come out of Pittsburg High in the past thirty years? (answer: quite a few) And how many of those have played at Cal?

OneKeg
Big C said:

fat_slice said:

He gave us a shout-out-to-the-local-school when he put us in his Top Seven. Now he's got five paying schools competing against each another for maximum NIL deal.

And let's keep it real: How many three-star-or-higher football recruits have come out of Pittsburg High in the past thirty years? And how many of those have played at Cal?
Maybe not a lot. But have to give a shout out to OL Ryan Lange who is on Cal's roster right now - 3-star out of Pittsburgh High in the 2021 recruiting class.
ducky23
Big C said:

fat_slice said:

And let's keep it real: How many three-star-or-higher football recruits have come out of Pittsburg High in the past thirty years? And how many of those have played at Cal?

Regan upshaw
Big C
ducky23 said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Regan upshaw

And current Bear Ryan Lange. No doubt there have been some others. But that's out of how many? I'm not sure I articulated my point (above) all that well, but Pittsburg High has produced a LOT of prospects over the years, but they rarely come to Cal. So my default feeling on Rashada has always been... "unlikely".
calumnus
Well that's disappointing. Landing Rashada was our best opportunity to make a jump In recruiting and become a contender in the PAC-12.
GivemTheAxe
Rushinbear said:

WalterSobchak said:

He adopts our 40 year decision theme and turns his back on us? Maybe we are still
in it.

I doubt it. Look at his Top Five. No academic powerhouses or academic powerhouse wannabes made that list.
mbBear
ducky23 said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Regan upshaw
Who was a higher rated recruit. Not a single Pac-12 team is also very interesting.
82gradDLSdad
WalterSobchak said:

Maybe he picked those schools for the culture of the surrounding areas?
parentswerebears
No. It's the money. Don't fool yourself.
GivemTheAxe
parentswerebears said:

Agree. The schools on his list are better positioned for higher NIL payments
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

parentswerebears said:

He has made it pretty clear NIL is peanuts compared to NFL money so it is far down his list and he is focused on a program that will: 1. help him put up big numbers and exposure to become a high NFL draft pick. 2. Help him get a second NFL contract by becoming a good QB through good coaching.

Wilcox/Musgrave have just not proven themselves as good developers of college QBs, so it was a stretch. Hopefully, that changes this Fall.
82gradDLSdad
parentswerebears said:

Money? Really? Not the beauty of the south?
bluehenbear
It's obvious now that if you see "ATM", it's about the money.
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

parentswerebears said:

Since we are out of the picture I'm rooting for Miami.
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

parentswerebears said:

Since we are out of the picture I'm rooting for Miami.

I'm still rooting for us. Let's get Jaylen Brown on the recruiting trail telling kids that you can still be a top recruit, have a successful pro career, AND receive a top education. Don't be swayed by nickel/dime money. Plan for a huge future.
Oski87
calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

parentswerebears said:

He has made it pretty clear NIL is peanuts compared to NFL money so it is far down his list and he is focused on a program that will: 1. help him put up big numbers and exposure to become a high NFL draft pick. 2. Help him get a second NFL contract by becoming a good QB through good coaching.

Wilcox/Musgrave have just not proven themselves as good developers of college QBs, so it was a stretch. Hopefully, that changes this Fall.

I think he was thinking that, and Cal was in the race....and then the money got really big. Second round big for 4 years is quite a nice payday, and really quite a nice career earnings, which is the range that these schools are paying. Perhaps not a 40 year decision - a top lawyer will make more than that. But certainly a good decision for a smart guy.

Cal at this point is not going to compete in that market. I think for QBs we are going to have to compete in the portal market with a decent NIL for good kids who went elsewhere and are sitting. And maybe that works for Rasheda as well. Sit for three years at A&M and then come back home. We are not going to get top 5 QBs from high school at this point no matter where they grew up.

Let's face it - until we can start to pay QBs in the 7 figures, we are going to the portal.
Rushinbear
Oski87 said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

parentswerebears said:

I think he was thinking that, and Cal was in the race....and then the money got really big. Second round big for 4 years is quite a nice payday, and really quite a nice career earnings, which is the range that these schools are paying. Perhaps not a 40 year decision - a top lawyer will make more than that. But certainly a good decision for a smart guy.

Cal at this point is not going to compete in that market. I think for QBs we are going to have to compete in the portal market with a decent NIL for good kids who went elsewhere and are sitting. And maybe that works for Rasheda as well. Sit for three years at A&M and then come back home. We are not going to get top 5 QBs from high school at this point no matter where they grew up.

Let's face it - until we can start to pay QBs in the 7 figures, we are going to the portal.
And look for overlooked hs kids with arms and bring them in to develop. If you have 3 or 4 of those on the roster, odds are that one will blossom.
dimitrig
Rushinbear said:

Oski87 said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

parentswerebears said:

And look for overlooked hs kids with arms and bring them in to develop. If you have 3 or 4 of those on the roster, odds are that one will blossom.

That's how we got Aaron Rodgers.

Tedford actually signed quite a lot of highly rated high school QBs and nothing became of most of them.

calumnus
dimitrig said:

Rushinbear said:

Oski87 said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

parentswerebears said:

That's how we got Aaron Rodgers.

Tedford actually signed quite a lot of highly rated high school QBs and nothing became of most of them.

Most?

Did any QB that signed with Tedford out of HS (in his 11 years at Cal) ever get drafted or make an NFL roster?
Bobodeluxe
Guru to you, too.
mbBear
Oski87 said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

parentswerebears said:

It has nothing to do with success of the programs he is talking to (compared to Cal) and, maybe even more importantly, some of the Offensive Coordinators in place, and Offensive minded head coaches?
Oski87
If you were thinking about that being the deciding factor - then no. The deciding factor to eliminate Cal was the money - which for all of us is a decision that we all use in our own lives. Go for life changing money or a steady income. I am sure he likes his coaches where he goes to, but he also liked the cal coaches. I would venture to say that without NIL he comes to Cal, all else being equal.

I mean - these are life changing sums for top 5 QBs. Until we do, we are not going to play in that game and need to look elsewhere. NIL is QB focused right now. People are looking for game changers. PAC 12 is not paying SEC salaries. We are a transfer market- we have to play money ball.
mbBear
Oski87 said:

If you were thinking about that being the deciding factor - then no. The deciding factor to eliminate Cal was the money - which for all of us is a decision that we all use in our own lives. Go for life changing money or a steady income. I am sure he likes his coaches where he goes to, but he also liked the cal coaches. I would venture to say that without NIL he comes to Cal, all else being equal.

I mean - these are life changing sums for top 5 QBs. Until we do, we are not going to play in that game and need to look elsewhere. NIL is QB focused right now. People are looking for game changers. PAC 12 is not paying SEC salaries. We are a transfer market- we have to play money ball.
Didn't realize you had inside information and a connection to him...I stand corrected.
BigDaddy
There is a reason why Cal was not in his Top 5...

“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
TomBear
Sadly, each of his 5 cited programs give high profile exposure, will not be overly challenging academically, and offer grass fields for longevity (and all of those things don't even take in the NIL issues). While I don't like it, it's somewhat understandable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.