Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Ashton Sanders
Cal Football

Bears' D Picks up a Big Addition in Cathedral DT Ashton Sanders

June 24, 2022

The Bears picked up one of the top defensive targets today with the announcement via Instagram live videa that 6-2/315 Cathedral (Los Angeles, CA) High School DT Ashton Sanders‍ chose Cal over finalist Wisconsin for his commitment.

The commitment follows two weeks after his official visit that only reaffirmed his strong feelings towards the program. Sanders Twitter videa went relatively viral following the visit.

As a junior, Sanders compiled 36 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 16 QB hurries and 4 sacks in 8 games.

After his prior visit, Sanders talked about his close relationship with the Cal staff and his growing relationship with his future teammates.

“My relationship with the Cal staff is very close,” said Sanders. “Super close. Every person on the staff is really straightforward. What they show and give is what you’re going to get and receive. They’re not just doing that for recruiting. How they treat their recruits is the same way they treat their players.”

Coming up for a practice, Sanders was able to get a good feel for the vibe of the program and how the players interact with each other.

“My interactions with the players were great,” said Sanders. “I got really close with Ricky (Correia). I also got to see campus and how classes are there. I really liked it and how they split up a 200-person class into smaller groups to give more personal teaching. I liked the bay area a lot, too. It’s a pretty low-key city. I love how green it is, too.”

Sanders is clear what he’s looking for beyond being a part of a successful program.

“I’m looking for a brotherhood, somewhere I can fit in very fast,” said Sanders. “Somewhere I can be accepted by a kicker, a quarterback or anyone on the team can be your best friend. I really get that family vibe at Cal and from the coaches.”

Besides Cal and Wisconsin, Sanders also held offers from Notre Dame, Washington, Utah and more.

Sanders joins fellow ‘23 commits CB Sailasa Vadrawale‍, MLB Cade Uluave‍ and safety RJ Jones‍ as part of Cal’s 2023 recruiting class.

Other stories:

4 Star OLB Purchase Impressed by Visit to Cal, Wrapping up OVs this Weekend

https://bearinsider.com/s/3178/bears-stay-local-with-commit-3-in-north-bay-db-vadrawale

http://instagr.am/p/CfNeTRcAhOF

Discussion from...

Bears' D Picks up a Big Addition in Cathedral DT Ashton Sanders

14,359 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by harebear
mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

You could see this one coming a mile away. He committed right before the UCLA and USC move to the B1G and chose us over Wisconsin.

We are seeing the impact of realignment right now. I can tell you that RJ Jones will be the next guy to decommit.
So, this is a direct coorelation to the alignment news? Grades not factor here?

How we could spend so much time recruiting someone and not know he is an academic risk is beyond me. And what transpired in a couple months during the summer to push his academic qualifications to be inadmissible? And if there was something academic looming, why would he commit?
Well, I'd put money on someone in his ear reminding him how difficult Cal is academically. Because right, it's not like he had new grades come out recently, unless there was a Summer school component to this.
Econ141
mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

You could see this one coming a mile away. He committed right before the UCLA and USC move to the B1G and chose us over Wisconsin.

We are seeing the impact of realignment right now. I can tell you that RJ Jones will be the next guy to decommit.

How we could spend so much time recruiting someone and not know he is an academic risk is beyond me. And what transpired in a couple months during the summer to push his academic qualifications to be inadmissible? And if there was something academic looming, why would he commit?
Well, I'd put money on someone in his ear reminding him how difficult Cal is academically. Because right, it's not like he had new grades come out recently, unless there was a Summer school component to this.

If someone is in his ear, they are not reminding him about how difficult Cal is academically ... They are in his ear about Cal's lack of success on the field and our near-to-mediumnterm viability ad a program. Both issues need to be fixed within the next 6 months or we can kiss any hope for next season goodbye.
concernedparent
fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

If someone is in his ear, they are not reminding him about how difficult Cal is academically ... They are in his ear about Cal's lack of success on the field and our near-to-mediumnterm viability ad a program. Both issues need to be fixed within the next 6 months or we can kiss any hope for next season goodbye.
A program plateauing at 5-7 with scant recent NFL success in a conference circling the drain is a way more effective way to negatively recruit. Saying a recruit is afraid to compete in the classroom is just Cal ego nursing.
Rushinbear
concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

A program plateauing at 5-7 with scant recent NFL success in a conference circling the drain is a way more effective way to negatively recruit. Saying a recruit is afraid to compete in the classroom is just Cal ego nursing.
Plateauing? We'll see.

Scant NFL success? Showing your colors there.

Afraid to compete in the classroom? Grades are grades, try as you might.
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

It is August. Why would you assume it is grades? His other offers are good academic schools. He is still a junior. Cal did not withdraw our offer. We want him.

Mb can bet "someone was in his ear about Cal academics" but my bet is someone is talking about NIL money that he can make elsewhere.

After all, a lot of things have changed since he committed, but Cal academics is not one of them.
Big C
calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

It is August. Why would you assume it is grades? His other offers are good academic schools. He is still a junior. Cal did not withdraw our offer. We want him.

Mb can bet "someone was in his ear about Cal academics" but my bet is someone is talking about NIL money that he can make elsewhere.

After all, a lot of things have changed since he committed, but Cal academics is not one of them.

Also, it is August. How can people be so negative when we're still undefeated this season?!? Be enthusiastic while we still can: There will be plenty of opportunities for us to cry into our beer later on... or maybe not! GO BEARS!!!
concernedparent
Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

Scant RECENT NFL success. Aaron Rodgers is further from his time at Cal than recruits have been alive. Jared Goff is the most recent recognizable Cal Bear in the NFL. That was 7 years ago. The takers were excellent college players, but they are rotation guys/borderline starters now.
Econ141
concernedparent said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

Scant RECENT NFL success. Aaron Rodgers is further from his time at Cal than recruits have been alive. Jared Goff is the most recent recognizable Cal Bear in the NFL. That was 7 years ago. The takers were excellent college players, but they are rotation guys/borderline starters now.

Don't forget, Laird is handling Brady's balls. Or was it Laird handling balls from Brady?
Rushinbear
calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

I mentioned it because others did. I assumed, perhaps too quickly, that his 2nd sem grades came in and were not up to par.
Big C
Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

I mentioned it because others did. I assumed, perhaps too quickly, that his 2nd sem grades came in and were not up to par.

Not out of the question, but probably more likely that our NIL and conference situations are not up to par. Honestly, I wish these guys would not verbal until they were a little more sure of what they want.

Another possibility is that he heard about our latest of three Ashtons and didn't want to have to answer to the nickname of "the Slow Ashton". (Dude, recommit: We will call you "the Big Ashton"!)
Oski87
Big C said:

Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

Not out of the question, but probably more likely that our NIL and conference situations are not up to par. Honestly, I wish these guys would just wait until they were a little more sure of what they want.
To be fair - I am sure that the PAC 12 getting blown up was not on anyones radar screen.
calumnus
Oski87 said:

Big C said:

Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

Not out of the question, but probably more likely that our NIL and conference situations are not up to par. Honestly, I wish these guys would just wait until they were a little more sure of what they want.
To be fair - I am sure that the PAC 12 getting blown up was not on anyones radar screen.

Exactly. Early commitments are good, they help build momentum for the class. However, it used to be kids from SoCal could be guaranteed that they would play in front of family and friends every year. No longer.

But the kid could still end up at Cal, I'm sure the staff is on it, but making assumptions about his academics is not helpful.
NVBear78
Lets get a great start and win a bunch of games this year and then go get some recruits.

And if the HS kids dont come we will go pick up some transfers.

Go Bears!
mbBear
calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

I never bring up academics/grades unless it is cited elsewhere. Specific to the academic challenges of Cal, that idea isn't new, of course.
The probability that we will even know the reasons is slim. Hard to believe that a 3 star is scoring big bucks on the NIL circuit, but that info isn't really in play either, so sure, that could absolutely be true.
calumnus
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

I never bring up academics/grades unless it is cited elsewhere. Specific to the academic challenges of Cal, that idea isn't new, of course.
The probability that we will even know the reasons is slim. Hard to believe that a 3 star is scoring big bucks on the NIL circuit, but that info isn't really in play either, so sure, that could absolutely be true.

He was originally leaning Wisconsin. Then visited Cal in June and committed. Then last month UCLA and USC announced they were leaving for the Big 10. Also back in June, Wisconsin boosters announced the formation of an NIL collective, but "were slow to get started." Now he has de-comitted from Cal but is still reported to have Wisconsin and Cal as his top 2. However, Wisconsin is now seen as the favorite.

My guess is he has been contacted by the Wisconsin boosters and the LA schools leaving to the Big 10 with Wisconsin visiting LA more than Cal will has tipped the scales back. He at least wants to reopen his recruitment to get the Wisconsin NIL collective to make an offer. And while a 3 star might not get offered $millions, Cal and Wisconsin are built on 3 star players. He is a coveted 295 lb DT/NG. If he can make $20k a year from Wisconsin boosters, can you not see why he might reopen his recruitment? What is Cal offering for NIL these days?

Econ141
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

He was originally leaning Wisconsin. Then visited Cal in June and committed. Then last month UCLA and USC announced they were leaving for the Big 10. Also back in June, Wisconsin boosters announced the formation of an NIL collective, but "were slow to get started." Now he has de-comitted from Cal but is still reported to have Wisconsin and Cal as his top 2. However, Wisconsin is now seen as the favorite.

My guess is he has been contacted by the Wisconsin boosters and the LA schools leaving to the Big 10 with Wisconsin visiting LA more than Cal will has tipped the scales back. He at least wants to reopen his recruitment to get the Wisconsin NIL collective to make an offer. And while a 3 star might not get offered $millions, Cal and Wisconsin are built on 3 star players. He is a coveted 295 lb DT/NG. If he can make $20k a year from Wisconsin boosters, can you not see why he might reopen his recruitment? What is Cal offering for NIL these days?

30% off coupons at La Burrita
Dgoldnbaer
The majority of our rich alumni don't know the difference between a football and a volleyball! SOOOOO sad ... but true. Hence the reason why we will NEVER receive the financial support needed from alumni applicable to the football program.
Econ141
Dgoldnbaer said:

The majority of our rich alumni don't know the difference between a football and a volleyball! SOOOOO sad ... but true. Hence the reason why we will NEVER receive the financial support needed from alumni applicable to the football program.

But what if we could get them to understand that football is what makes all the other sports viable. We should be realists and say hey guys - you can't just donate 1m bucks to the swimming team. That's just dead money. You funnel it to football and let football be the cash cow.
Dgoldnbaer
Not to reiterate but the MAJORITY of those who could help financially have absolute ZERO interest/passion in our football success. I'd bet they've never even experienced sitting in the rooting section while they were a student.
Big C

Many have zero interest in any sports and another fair chunk probably don't donate to Cal whatsoever. We need to work on developing this, as if we were a private school. (We're not too far from that now, given lousy state support.)
Big C
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

mbBear said:

fat_slice said:

Plateauing? We'll see.

Even a couple of thousand a month can be huge for many college students.
Dgoldnbaer
The passion for football at Wisconsin is much different - much higher than it is at Cal. That is why they are successful building a team w/foundation of 3 star recruits. I'm so sick & tired of us getting nothing but 3 stars. We NEED multiple 4 stars ... Even one or two 5's ... Every year if we're going to be a better than mediocre football team. Just go back & look at the roster's of the Mike White era, the Bruce Snyder teams & the first 5 years of Jeff Tedford's - - the level of players they recruited is major reason those teams were better than mediocre!! And we NEED such talent EVERY year if we're going to be better than 6-6 ... Or even 7-5.
mbBear
Dgoldnbaer said:

The passion for football at Wisconsin is much different - much higher than it is at Cal. That is why they are successful building a team w/foundation of 3 star recruits. I'm so sick & tired of us getting nothing but 3 stars. We NEED multiple 4 stars ... Even one or two 5's ... Every year if we're going to be a better than mediocre football team. Just go back & look at the roster's of the Mike White era, the Bruce Snyder teams & the first 5 years of Jeff Tedford's - - the level of players they recruited is major reason those teams were better than mediocre!! And we NEED such talent EVERY year if we're going to be better than 6-6 ... Or even 7-5.
Sometimes, it starts with the basics: Wisconsin averaged 57k fans last year, and it's the first time in 15 years that they have been below 60k. Forget about the Big 10 TV rights revenue, and the Big 10 Net revenue....butts in the seats starts them way ahead of Cal.
Not to be too semantical here, because your point/hope is for better recruiting (obviously)but for 2023 there are only 20 5 stars....a couple to SC, one to Oregon, so far. Most out of the conference.
harebear
Also I think San Francisco has the highest density of billionaires of any city in the world per a semi-recent SF Gate article. If you are a bay area billionaire and you are reading this you are hereby invited to come to my tailgate and to a game this Fall. Forget the Warriors, we are the team you want to see!

Also we'll see what happens with Sanders but he looks too natural in blue and gold to not ultimately make this choice. The red and white colors don't do too many people any favors.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.