Story Poster
Photo by Hudl / Jaxon Smolik
Cal Football

Iowa QB Jaxon Smolik Talks about Elite 11 Standout Performance, Cal Offer

July 20, 2022

A QB who Cal had been tracking for months moved up the recruiting board significantly after a stellar Elite 11 performance a few weeks ago as 6-2/200 Dowling Catholic (West Des Moines, Iowa) QB Jaxon Smolik‍ earned a presigious Elite 11 final slot along with an offer from the Bears.

Smolik on Elite 11 invite

“I thought I did pretty good at our Regional Elite 11 and I thought I was going to get an invite but I ended up not getting one,” said Smolik. “Then Nico (Lamaleava) backed out the day before and I got the call from Brian (Stumpf, a former Cal receiver who runs Elite 11 and Student Sports) and he asked if I could come over the next day, leaving at 6 am, and I said, ‘Yeah, I’m coming out. I’m there.’

“It was a great experience. I’m so glad I got invited. It not only helps my recruiting but it also helps my football leadership skills and stuff like that.”

What were some of his biggest takeaways from the experience?

“Everybody had such good information,” said Smolik. “Even the players gave me such good information about recruiting and the processes they went through. I learned about leadership, just being an overall better person, learning how to speak, learning how to do live interviews. I learned so much from this experience.”

During the process, the 3 star QB received positive feedback about several areas of his game.

“My arm strength was probably one of the biggest things,” said Smolik. “How I carry myself around the other players -not being cocky with anyone, footwork, demeanor, stuff like that. I feel like I’m great reading defenses. Obviously I haven’t played at the college level and seen how they switch and disguise things but right now in high school, I feel like I’m at the top of my game.”

Smolik played in four games his junior season after being hurt in his opener, totaling 965 yards, 9 TDs and 2 interceptions, completing 65.5% (76-116) in his limited season.

Even though the Bears just recently offered, they’d seen enough through scouting that his Elite 11 performance was just the clincher in verifying he was worthy of an offer. Smolik is currently committed to Tulane after a verbal on June 23.

Smolik On Cal Offer

“So I kind of was in contact with Cal before the Elite 11,” said Smolik. “First day went really good and some people recommended they offer me. I’d been in contact with Coach Cherrington, their Director of Player Personnel for quite a while and then Coach Musgrave called me and decided to offer me and just told me about the program and what they expect out of quarterback.

“I’ve researched the program quite a bit. I love it. It’s a great program at Cal with great coaches. I could see myself there but right now, I’m committed to Tulane. I just want to get a visit to Cal and check it out. I've never been to that area. I won’t be able to make it at the end of the month but will come out sometime in September. It has to be after August because that’s the dead period.

“I really liked it down in SoCal. I didn’t really get to see a lot down there but where the camp was held at Redondo, it was really nice.”

Interestingly enough, the Bears’ first QB offer -Pittsburg QB Jaden Rashada‍- did not finish in the final Elite 11, while Smolik and other Cal offeree Chris Parson‍, a 6-1/200 QB out of Brentwood, TN -also a Florida State decommit- did make it into the final group.

Other stories:

Yamauchi Moving up the Recruiting Charts, Narrowing Targets

Afalava Talks About Fit at Cal

Discussion from...

Iowa QB Jaxon Smolik Talks about Elite 11 Standout Performance, Cal Offer

4,436 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rushinbear
BigDaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just noticed this kid committed to Tulane, over Cal, Iowa and Iowa St. But he tripped to Penn State this month. Strange recruitment.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigDaddy said:

Just noticed this kid committed to Tulane, over Cal, Iowa and Iowa St. But he tripped to Penn State this month. Strange recruitment.
Academics?

I like his throwing motion - pushing off the back foot and following through. Surprisingly few hs qb's do that. Good arm strength. Pretty quick release. Heady. Good player.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.