ND QB out for the season

2,928 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
pingpong2
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Football gods, stop giving me hope!!!!
TouchedTheAxeIn82
From watching the Marshall highlights and reading ND boards, my impression is that Buchner was a raw but unrefined talent, and that he might have been the starter because of his mobility. The ND fans think that the backup might be a better passer.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
On the other hand:

Quote:

The hard part right now with this is (Angeli) took very limited real reps this fall in practice. Putting him behind this OL right now won't give him any time to actually learn anything. I honestly hope Pyne gets ND through Cal and the D gets a scoring turnover to get Angeli reps. I fully admit Pyne looked awful and lost coming in for Buchner this last week. It is a situation MD should never be in.

Pyne was named the starter for the Cal game.
bluehenbear
Backup QBs have a history of having career days against us...
oskithepimp
Pressure's on us now. This game is coming down to kickers. Or else we'll just get smoked because, well, Cal.
golden sloth
oskithepimp said:

Pressure's on us now. This game is coming down to kickers. Or else we'll just get smoked because, well, Cal.

Special teams, field position, and turnovers.
MinotStateBeav
oskithepimp said:

Hopefully we learn not to give a QB with no experience a ton of time to scan the field lol.
Cal89
MinotStateBeav said:

oskithepimp said:

Hopefully we learn not to give a QB with no experience a ton of time to scan the field lol.
Not exactly no experience, but minimal for sure...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4429088/drew-pyne
Sig test...
UrsineMaximus
Cal's defense and Coach Sirmon can not give this new QB any time at all to get adjusted or feel "comfortable" during this game. Our defense can and should create enough havoc to cause turnovers, score points and win this game.
eabandit
This sounds like us with Chase. Chase had tons of mobility (nobody contests that), but people last season were clamoring for Kai Millner to have a shot at throwing because he allegedly had a better arm
KoreAmBear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

From watching the Marshall highlights and reading ND boards, my impression is that Buchner was a raw but unrefined talent, and that he might have been the starter because of his mobility. The ND fans think that the backup might be a better passer.
Backup looked about as big as Rudy.
Rushinbear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

On the other hand:

Quote:

The hard part right now with this is (Angeli) took very limited real reps this fall in practice. Putting him behind this OL right now won't give him any time to actually learn anything. I honestly hope Pyne gets ND through Cal and the D gets a scoring turnover to get Angeli reps. I fully admit Pyne looked awful and lost coming in for Buchner this last week. It is a situation MD should never be in.

Pyne went to New Canaan HS in New Canaan Ct. New Canaan is a high income suburb of Stamford/Greenwhich. Class L (second largest to class LL) in a state that is not serious about fb. He was a known quantity coming out - probably 3*. .

He was listed as a pro-style qb in hs - 6'1" 175# - on a reasonably successful team in their league. ND lists him at 5'11" 198#. Reasonably strong arm, some mobility. No idea of his speed.

I expect him to run around a lot...and tear us apart. The game will be in the hands of our DEs. They must contain him and not get out of control on the rush. Being short(er), he will try to duck under the rushers and fire over the middle. Let's see if Sirmon mixes up the looks to confuse him.

I thought we had a good chance with Buchner in there - he looked confused, himself - neither fish nor fowl as a qb. Pyne gives us a better chance, since he couldn't beat out Buchner to start the year. But, we have a habit of making replacements shine. Our dbs and lbs must maintain discipline and play their spots.
bearister
KoreAmBear said:

TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Backup looked about as big as Rudy.

1. Rudy Giuliani?
2. Rudy Ruettiger?
3. Sean Astin?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
pingpong2 said:

God loves the Irish, not the Fake Irish.
eastcoastcal
Rushinbear said:

TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

On the other hand:

Quote:

Pyne went to New Canaan HS in New Canaan Ct. New Canaan is a high income suburb of Stamford/Greenwhich. Class L (second largest to class LL) in a state that is not serious about fb. He was a known quantity coming out - probably 3*. .

He was listed as a pro-style qb in hs - 6'1" 175# - on a reasonably successful team in their league. ND lists him at 5'11" 198#. Reasonably strong arm, some mobility. No idea of his speed.

I expect him to run around a lot...and tear us apart. The game will be in the hands of our DEs. They must contain him and not get out of control on the rush. Being short(er), he will try to duck under the rushers and fire over the middle. Let's see if Sirmon mixes up the looks to confuse him.

I thought we had a good chance with Buchner in there - he looked confused, himself - neither fish nor fowl as a qb. Pyne gives us a better chance, since he couldn't beat out Buchner to start the year. But, we have a habit of making replacements shine. Our dbs and lbs must maintain discipline and play their spots.
I have friends who know Drew. He had a surprisingly strong offer list. I agree, CT and really the northeast generally are not filled with strong competition. PA being the exception if you consider it the Northeast.
burritos
bluehenbear said:

Backup QBs have a history of having career days against us...
This times a million.
oski003
bearister said:

pingpong2 said:

The well known Carr surname has long existed in Ireland, and originates from several distinct sources. In County Galway it was an Anglicization of O Carra, a patronymic name referring to a descendant of Carra; the word Carra in turn meant "spear." in County Donegal, Carr was the Anglicized form of Mac Giolla Chathair.
bearister
oski003 said:

bearister said:

pingpong2 said:

The well known Carr surname has long existed in Ireland, and originates from several distinct sources. In County Galway it was an Anglicization of O Carra, a patronymic name referring to a descendant of Carra; the word Carra in turn meant "spear." in County Donegal, Carr was the Anglicized form of Mac Giolla Chathair.

….but I believe his people left The Church and now in the eyes of The Almighty, he is little more than an Orangeman banging a drum on July 12 in honor of Prod King Billy.

KoreAmBear
All of the above.
Boot
We have no pass rush.
Big C
MinotStateBeav said:

oskithepimp said:

How about we just tell our pass rushers to "Grab some Pyne, meat!"
sefton

Quote:

.but I believe his people left The Church and now in the eyes of The Almighty, he is little more than an Orangeman banging a drum on July 12 in honor of Prod King Billy.
Up a long ladder
And down a short rope
To hell with King Billy
And god bless the Pope
Ever hopeful and it seems like forever.
FremontBear
Unless our DL could consistently pressure opposing QBs without blitzing, then it doesn't matter if they lose their starting QB, not with the kind of talent and depth Notre Dame has.
dimitrig

Drew Pyne Is In Better Shape And Ready To Battle

From the article:

"Pyne has six total games of experience under his belt entering the 2022 season. He played in four games and attempted three passes as a true freshman in 2020. He saw action in just two games last year, but had far more extensive playing experience.

He helped Notre Dame beat Wisconsin in Chicago's Shamrock Series game and then came off the bench for an ineffective Jack Coan a week later in Notre Dame's only loss of the season to Cincinnati. That taste of the field and this year's chance to compete with Tyler Buchner to become Notre Dame's next starting quarterback gave him a different mindset this year. "

He came off the bench against Marshall and threw an INT. He finished 3/6 for 20 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT.

bearister
KoreAmBear said:

All of the above.

Then that explains why the ND band announced that this song is on its halftime setlist:

KoreAmBear
bearister said:

KoreAmBear said:

All of the above.

Then that explains why the ND band announced that this song is on its halftime setlist:

And this.

Cal8488
Damn, I must have the same musical taste as Bearister and Koreambear, great rudy choices!
GivemTheAxe
pingpong2 said:

The way the Cal OLine protected Plummer vs UNLV (NOT!) we would need the entire ND Defensive line to be out injured to have a chance against ND.

I was so disappointed seeing how poorly the Cal OLine blocked. One play where Plummer was sacked in the 1st Quarter (our good quarter) UNLV had a 3 man rush plus a safety coming in. Against these 4 rushers Cal had 5 Offensive line men.

The Left OLine member blocked the incoming safety. The Right OLine member blocked his opposing rusher. Two OLine members on the Center Left double teamed one of of two remaining rushers

Unfortunately the last remaining Cal OLine member was clueless. First he began to help the two Cal blockers who were already double teaming their rusher.
When the clueless Cal OLine member realized that he was not needed to triple-team block. He looked to his Right and saw the unblocked UNLV rusher blow past him and sack Plummer.

I couldn't believe what I had just seen. So I backed up the tape and rewatched it 3 times. The Clueless Cal OLine member was totally lost on the play. He had opened a clear path to Plummer by attempting to triple team a rusher who was already being double teamed.

Later in the game I was so disappointed when the Cal OLine was apparently very easily pushed back by an equal number of UNLV rushers. The result was eithe a sack or a hurry. Each time Plummer was getting pummeled. The TV announcers were critical of the Cal blockers saying that Plummer was getting beaten up on each play. And that would take its toll on any QB
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.