Story Poster
Photo by Cal Athletics
Cal Football

Ott Wins 2nd Straight Pac-12 Freshman Player of the Week

September 12, 2022

SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 today announced its 2022 football season's second weekly performance awards, presented by Nextiva. See below for Week 2's recognitions across the Conference and keep track of the 2022 Offensive Player of the Year watchlist here:

OFFENSE:  Caleb Williams, So., QB, USC (Washington, D.C.)

Williams went 20-for-27 (74%) for 341 yards and 4 TD, leading the Trojans to a 41-28 victory over Stanford.

He has yet to throw an INT in the 2022 season in 49 pass attempts.

USC's 41 points are the most points scored versus Stanford since USC scored 45 points in its victory over the Cardinal in 2019.  With Williams at the helm, the Trojans had 505 yards in total offense against the Cardinal.

Now ranks second nationally in completion percentage (.796 and first in the Pac-12 Conference) and passing efficiency (221.1 and first in the Pac-12 Conference). He is also third nationally in yards per attempt (12.04 and first in the Pac-12 Conference).

Was named the CFPA National Performer of Week

First time winning this award in the Pac-12 but was the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week twice last season at Oklahoma.  First USC player to earn this honor since Jaxson Dart in Week 3 of last season.

Also nominated: Bo Nix, QB, Oregon;  Deshaun Fenwick, RB, Oregon State; Michael Penix, Jr., QB, Washington; Michael WIley, RB, Arizona, X Valladay, RB, Arizona State; Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah; Nakia Watson, RB, Washington State

Check out the 2022 Offensive Player of the Year Watchlist, presented by Nextiva, to learn more. 

DEFENSE:  Kitan Oladapo, RS Jr., DB, Oregon State (Happy Valley, Ore.)

Led Oregon State with a career-best 15 tackles as the Beavers improved to 2-0 for the first time since 2014.  15 tackles surpassed his previous career best of 10 set against Oregon in 2021.

Picked up a 12-yard sack on 3rd and 13 for Fresno State in the third quarter, forcing Fresno State to punt.

Now has 31 tackles over his last four games.

Second straight week a Beaver has won this award (Jaydon Grant) and the first time for Oladapo.  It's the first time Oregon State has claimed this award in back-to-back weeks since November 2008 (Stephen Paea & Greg Laybourn)

Also nominated: Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State; Kyle Soelle, LB, Arizona State; Max Williams, DB, USC; Casey Rogers, DT, Oregon; Junior Tafuna, DT, Utah; Grayson Murphy, DL, UCLA; Jaxen Turner, S, Arizona

SPECIAL TEAMS:  Renard Bell, 6th Yr., WR/KR, Washington State (Los Angeles, Calif.)

Bell returned two kickoffs for a total of 82 yards, 41.0 ypr. He added two receptions for 49 yards on the day.

His 73-yard return to open the second half sparked WSU as the Cougar offense capitalized on great field position and capped a 7-play, 18-yard drive with a field goal to cut Wisconsin's lead to 4 at 14-10.

The 73-yard kickoff return was a career-long for the sixth-year senior.

First time winning this award and first WSU player to earn this honor since punter Dean Janikowski took it home in the final week of last season.  The last kick returner to win for the Cougars was Travell Harris in Week 2 of 2021.

Also nominated:  Luke Loecher, P, Oregon State; Jordan Noyes, K, Utah; Kyle Ostendorp, P, Arizona; Alex Stadthaus, PK, USC

OFFENSIVE LINE:  Jarrett Kingston, RS Jr., OL, Washington State (Anderson, Calif.)

Anchored an offensive line that kept WSU in the game en route to a 17-14 victory at No. 19 Wisconsin.

Did not allow a pressure on WSU's 50 snaps.

The WSU offensive line led the way on the final drive, sparking a 10-play, 43-yard drive over 5:14 as the clock expired, giving WSU the win.

First time winning this award.  Last WSU player to take home this award was Liam Ryan in Week 6 of 2021.

Also nominated: Joshua Gray, Oregon State; Alex Forsyth, Oregon; Corey Luciano, Washington; Braeden Daniels, Utah; Andrew Vorhees, USC; Josh Baker, Arizona

DEFENSIVE LINE:  Tuli Tuipulotu, Jr., DL, USC (Hawthorne, Calif.)

Recorded 6 tackles, including 4 for loss for 19 yards (with 1 sack for 11 yards).

At the beginning of the third quarter, Tuipulotu broke up a pass from Stanford QB Tanner McKee intended for WR Michael Wilson. In the same quarter, he also forced a fumble by Stanford RB E.J. Smith which was recovered by fellow Trojan teammate DB Jacobe Covington for a turnover.

First time winning this award and the third different Trojan to earn this since the award was created prior to the 2019 season.  Tuli's older brother, Marlon Tuipulotu, took home the award in the first week of the 2020 season while Drake Jackson has won it twice, once in 2020 and again in 2021.

Also nominated:  Brennan Jackson, EDGE, Washington State; Hunter Echols, DE, Arizona; Bralen Trice, EDGE, Washington; Casey Rogers, DT, Oregon; James Rawls, DL, Oregon State; Connor O'Toole, DE, Utah; Grayson Murphy, DL, UCLA

FRESHMAN:  Jaydn Ott, Fr., RB, California (Chino, Calif.)

Defending Pac-12 Freshman of the Week had yet another strong performance in his second game at Cal by becoming the first Golden Bear in three seasons to score both a rushing and receiving touchdown in the same game in Cal's 20-14 win over UNLV.

Scored touchdowns on Cal's first two drives with the second coming in dramatic fashion on fourth-and-two from the UNLV 12 with an acrobatic leap into the end zone after receiving a Jack Plummer pass in the flat.

Finished with seven rushes for a team-high 52 yards on the ground while adding a career-high three receptions for 16 yards.

After two games, Ott is fourth in the Pac-12 in both total rushing yards (156) and rushing yards per game (78.0 ypg).

First Cal player to win this award in back-to-back weeks since it was created in 2019.  Oregon's Noah Sewell won back-to-back last season and in 2020 it was Washington's Dylan Morris winning it in consecutive weeks and Utah's Ty Jordan winning it the final 3 weeks of the season.  The last time Cal won any Pac-12 weekly award in back-to-back weeks was in 2015 when Kyle Kragen won Defensive Player of the Week on September 28 and Stefan McClure took it home the next week on October 5.

Also nominated:  Jaylon Glover, RB, Utah; Lake McRee, TE, USC; Damien Martinez, RB, Oregon State; Jalen Woods, LB, UCLA; Tetairoa McMillan, WR, Arizona

Prior Awards

Sept. 6

Offensive: Jayden de Laura, Arizona

Defensive: Jaydon Grant, Oregon State

Special Teams:Carter Brown, Arizona State

OL: Brandon Kipper, Oregon State

DL:Jalen Harris, Arizona

Freshman: Jaydn Ott, California

Related:

Ott Wins Pac-12 Freshman of the Week in Cal Debut

New Contributors Give Bears a Golden Outlook This Season

Discussion from...

Ott Wins 2nd Straight Pac-12 Freshman Player of the Week

4,495 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dgoldnbaer
Dgoldnbaer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He should be carrying it at least 20 times/game, on quick pitch tosses around end, mis direction traps up the middle, etc..., etc... And he should also be involved in some play action passes - where Plummer fakes handoff/pitch to him. And he should also be the recipient of screen passes, every game! C'mon Musgrave, USE him as he should! Surface his multiple skills!!
KoreAmBear
That Russell White-esque run was at :44 of that video on the Tweet. Dude is amazing.
01Bear
KoreAmBear said:

That Russell White-esque run was at :44 of that video on the Tweet. Dude is amazing.

Russell White was before my time, so please pardon the ignorance. Did Russell White frequently slam on the brakes change direction (backwards), and then run forward at full speed again? If so, then dang! I missed out! You older alumni were darn lucky to see great running like that regularly!
eastcoastcal
Get him in space!
Oski87
01Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Russell White was before my time, so please pardon the ignorance. Did Russell White frequently slam on the brakes change direction (backwards), and then run forward at full speed again? If so, then dang! I missed out! You older alumni were darn lucky to see great running like that regularly!
Russell White was simply amazing.
Dgoldnbaer
He truly was. Too early for me to put Ott at same level as Russell White! No RB at Cal ever had the moves/shiftiness that he did.
4thGenCal
Dgoldnbaer said:

He should be carrying it at least 20 times/game, on quick pitch tosses around end, mis direction traps up the middle, etc..., etc... And he should also be involved in some play action passes - where Plummer fakes handoff/pitch to him. And he should also be the recipient of screen passes, every game! C'mon Musgrave, USE him as he should! Surface his multiple skills!!
As posted on a different subject line, J Ott took a neck hit to the turf on the amazing helicopter tackle/then surge to the TD. Coaches were understandably hesitant (health comes first) and only after some PT lobbying by J Ott, did he get back in - though monitored. J Ott has been doing extra treatment since the game, and will be ready to go for ND. Too many posters jumped to conclusions on wrong coaching/poor substitution patterns etc. Its a sensitive neck area(issue before) and thus valid for concern - additionally, its been the plan since training camp to rotate the top three RB's, to ensure freshness in legs when the conference play starts. The football coaching staff is extremely well respected by the players (first hand knowledge). The upperclassmen, have consistently said, its the best coaching staff they have played under since they started at Cal.
KoreAmBear
01Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Check out Russell White's first touch at Memorial Stadium in 1990 v. Miami at 2:24:

Russell hurdling a Purdue dude in 1991. He mentioned his teammate Brent Woodall who died on 9/11. RIP Brent.

How about Russell going for about 230 against U$C in 1991 beating them 52-30 (you can see his shiftiness at 8:28):

kal kommie
KoreAmBear said:

01Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Check out Russell White's first touch at Memorial Stadium in 1990 v. Miami at 2:24...
Really lamentable that there's no Russell White highlights video on YouTube. A victim of having played too early, though I'm sure that applies to so many great players. Russell White was an amazing RB, I'll never forget what he did to SC and Clemson in 1991, SC especially. You could tell from the stands how much that dominating performance meant to him.

Ott is the next great Cal RB. It's been a very long time since I felt this sure that a Cal RB would be playing on Sundays. He's got the skillset for the modern game. I'm going to savor watching him for these next couple of years.
dimitrig
KoreAmBear said:

01Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Check out Russell White's first touch at Memorial Stadium in 1990 v. Miami at 2:24:

Russell hurdling a Purdue dude in 1991. He mentioned his teammate Brent Woodall who died on 9/11. RIP Brent.

How about Russell going for about 230 against U$C in 1991 beating them 52-30 (you can see his shiftiness at 8:28):

Russell White was electrifying as a redshirt freshman.

After that he gained weight (muscle) to allow him to withstand more of a beating. The downside is that he lost some of his speed and quickness. He averaged 5.6 yards/rush as a freshman and then down to 4.9 as a sophomore. As a junior he was back up to 5.2, but he gained even fewer yards than the year before and had a career low in TDs.

For part of that he was playing through an upper respiratory infection, which was really hard on him, but also defenses really started to key on him. He would be tackled by two or three defenders after each run. Sometimes he was slow to get up. My friends and I half-joked that his "upper respiratory infection" might be cracked ribs given the punishment he took and how he had difficulty breathing at times.

That is why when people say Ott needs 20 touches per game I think they should slow down and remember he's a freshman and not a big one at that. We don't want him hurt. He's 6' 196. Russell White was 5'11" 216 and Marshawn Lynch about the same as White.

Ott is more the size of Jahvid Best. Best also had his best year as a sophomore (his first full year as a starter) and declined his junior year because of injuries (elbow, knee, concussions). We don't need to waste Ott's best performances against UNLV. I want him to be ready to go for USC, UCLA, and Stanford - and of course Notre Dame!

calumnus
dimitrig said:

KoreAmBear said:

01Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Russell White was electrifying as a redshirt freshman.

After that he gained weight (muscle) to allow him to withstand more of a beating. The downside is that he lost some of his speed and quickness. He averaged 5.6 yards/rush as a freshman and then down to 4.9 as a sophomore. As a junior he was back up to 5.2, but he gained even fewer yards than the year before and had a career low in TDs.

For part of that he was playing through an upper respiratory infection, which was really hard on him, but also defenses really started to key on him. He would be tackled by two or three defenders after each run. Sometimes he was slow to get up. My friends and I half-joked that his "upper respiratory infection" might be cracked ribs given the punishment he took and how he had difficulty breathing at times.

That is why when people say Ott needs 20 touches per game I think they should slow down and remember he's a freshman and not a big one at that. We don't want him hurt. He's 6' 196. Russell White was 5'11" 216 and Marshawn Lynch about the same as White.

Ott is more the size of Jahvid Best. Best also had his best year as a sophomore (his first full year as a starter) and declined his junior year because of injuries (elbow, knee, concussions). We don't need to waste Ott's best performances against UNLV. I want him to be ready to go for USC, UCLA, and Stanford - and of course Notre Dame!

Best was listed at 5'10 195 as a junior
https://calbears.com/sports/football/roster/javid-best/4813

Ott is listed as 6' 205 lb
https://calbears.com/sports/football/roster/jaydn-ott/21284

You are claiming only 7 carries, only 3 in the second half, was due to lack of durability?
HearstMining
I was living near Seattle until 1992, so mostly just read about White's best years. I was at the Cal-UW game in 1990 at Husky Stadium where the Bears were, frankly, throttled. Anyway, what impressed me about White was that tacklers just slid off him. They'd get a hand on him but not enough to bring him down. Ott seems to have that same gift.
MilleniaBear
White was fast and powerful. He had this amazing stride that seemed effortless. He had great field vision and could shift directions at top speed. Supposedly as a sophomore in HS he did the High Jump to help him stay fit for football. - set the CA High Jump record then quit track. Just a tremendous athlete. If you had prime Russ race against Desean Jackson and Jahvid Best then I think those two who beat White in the first 25 yards but after that Russ would win. Every sprinting step he took was like 5 yards.

I think his sophomore year (didn't play as a freshman because of prop 48) he shared the backfield with a senior Anthony Wallace. BOTH ran for 1,000 yards.
Dgoldnbaer
I've been attending games regularly since 1963 & during this span I've never seen a Cal rb run with the moves & shiftiness that R. White had, including the 2 games I've seen J. Ott. Russ would have been playing on Sunday's if not for his lack of speed. During the Snyder era I became a close friend of the DC Kent Baer, who shared w/me NFL scouts told him Russell "Was a step slow" to be a RB in the NFL. They also said if he wasn't ( step slow) he would easily have been one of the 1st 10 pics in the draft.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.