RIP KGO 810

12,241 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by southseasbear
sosheezy
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Not sure if/how Cal Football broadcasts are affected
Oski87
No wonder starkey retired.
DiabloWags
On October 6, 2022, an approximately 10 minute looped promo featuring music about money, betting, and winning and announcing "the new 810 KGO is coming Monday" (and similarly worded messages) started airing, strongly hinting a switch to a format based on the world of investing and finance.

- - - Wiki
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
BearGoggles
DiabloWags said:

On October 6, 2022, an approximately 10 minute looped promo featuring music about money, betting, and winning and announcing "the new 810 KGO is coming Monday" (and similarly worded messages) started airing, strongly hinting a switch to a format based on the world of investing and finance.

- - - Wiki

Reportedly sports betting.
Oski87
BearGoggles said:

DiabloWags said:

- - - Wiki

They should wait for the election.
Bobodeluxe
Great news. I have been looking for an am radio source for sport's betting and crypto investment for like forever.
bluehenbear
KBTC?
bluehenbear
Can someone get a comment from the AD (or maybe Learfield) about what's going to happen to game broadcasts (if anything)?
Big C

Just had KGO on in the car for a bit yesterday. If the "personalities" (such as they were) knew, they did a good job concealing it. It probably came down suddenly. Probably some good "fly on the wall" anecdotes.

I think there could still be a market for live, local, good-quality (better than KGO was) talk radio. For you "latest technology" folks, what has replaced it?
RJABear
Big C said:

Just had KGO on in the car for a bit yesterday. If the "personalities" (such as they were) knew, they did a good job concealing it. It probably came down suddenly. Probably some good "fly on the wall" anecdotes.

I think there could still be a market for live, local, good-quality (better than KGO was) talk radio. For you "latest technology" folks, what has replaced it?
Satellite radio has replaced local talk radio. For example ESPNU is wall-to-wall college sports talk.
bearister
Rename it, change number, switch it to FM, retool format and give rebirth to:

NO JIVE 95!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
Sad

KGO has a strong signal over the entire bay area
Larno
Dr. Don, KFRC! Totally unrelated but I know many of you out there listened daily to the good doctor!
Dgoldnbaer
Back in the spring of 1976 I drove down to San Diego & when I was near Del Mar & Oceanside I p/u KGO! Was caught totally by surprise. Thinking, "Holy sh_ _ ... I never realized how strong their signal was!"
calumnus
Dgoldnbaer said:

Back in the spring of 1976 I drove down to San Diego & when I was near Del Mar & Oceanside I p/u KGO! Was caught totally by surprise. Thinking, "Holy sh_ _ ... I never realized how strong their signal was!"

Yeah, in the mid 80s after college i moved back to LA and could still listen to Starkey on KGO.
NVBear78
Larno said:

Dr. Don, KFRC! Totally unrelated but I know many of you out there listened daily to the good doctor!

Anybody else remember the promotional leadup? "We're giving a rose to the entire Bay Area.........."

Of course I couldn't stand Dr. Don Rose and his schtick
Big C
RJABear said:

Big C said:

Satellite radio has replaced local talk radio. For example ESPNU is wall-to-wall college sports talk.

Sometimes it's better to get the local angle. I mean, not like they ever really cover Cal, but still...
Dgoldnbaer
I was big fan of Dr. Donald D Rose. An excellent DJ for KFRC, 610 AM. Late '70's -early '80's. Before FM became the dominant radio signal in the bay area. (for good music, that is)
GoOskie
KGO pretty much died several years ago.
bearister
I listened to Ira Blue's KGO talk show on my transistor radio in bed at night when I was 13. It erroneously made me feel smart.

joe amos yaks
Coyle and Sharpe will do it. Maybe partner with Ira Blue.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
HearstMining
Larno said:

My mom was addicted to KGO talk radio for years. I'd get home from high school and she'd start rattling on about what she heard as I feigned interest.

As a 6th grader, I caught the tail end of KEWB's run as a Top 40 station and then switched to "The Big 610" in . . . 1966? This was long before Dr. Don. At some point in high school, KSFO became part of the mix for me, because I liked the DJs and they had good traffic reports (I commuted into SF for high school so cared about that) but rock music was mostly from FM stations like K101. Still, that AM-only car radio was always on KFRC until I moved to Seattle in the 1980s.
pasadenaorbust
Larno said:

DiabloWags
Big C said:

KCBS 740 must be licking their chops.
Their ad rates just skyrocketed.

DiabloWags
KGO stood for General Electric Oakland.
graguna
this was a kick in the nuts for me. Cumulus is a client of my mine. i did a nice transaction with them last week. which i now can unwind. on to the next
graguna
BearGoggles said:

DiabloWags said:

- - - Wiki

yup
graguna
DiabloWags said:

Big C said:

KCBS 740 must be licking their chops.
Their ad rates just skyrocketed.

KCBS already had the lions share of the audience. That's why KGO is gone now. Their listenership will probably go up 20% of so so they'll be a small bump in rates
bearister
In the summer of 1968, I was 13. In addition to going to sleep listening to Ira Blue, I listened to Russ Coughlan's phone in talk show on KGO.

That same summer, a replacement show for The Jackie Gleason show was Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner.

"The Prisoner was a British television series about an unnamed British intelligence agent who is abducted and imprisoned in a mysterious coastal village, where his captors designate him as Number Six and try to find out why he abruptly resigned from his job."

One night Russ' guest was a retired CIA agent. I called the show and told the guest I was watching The Prisoner and I asked him if the CIA maintained any "villages" like depicted in the TV show to park former intelligence officers that knew too much secret information to be set free into the world at large.

The retired CIA agent's response to my question:

"I wouldn't know anything about something like that."

Russ then promptly disconnected my call.

The Prisoner (TV Series 1967-1968; aired in U.S. June1, 1968) - IMDb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061287/
72CalBear
HoopDreams said:

Sad

KGO has a strong signal over the entire bay area
When Cal has not been televised (often in Southern California before P!2 network) and when there was no internet or streaming radio stations, I would actually get KGO on both my transistor and car radio - a bit fuzzy and in-and-out, but I was able to listen to Joe here in Long Beach!
pasadenaorbust
bearister said:

In the summer of 1968, I was 13. In addition to going to sleep listening to Ira Blue, I listened to Russ Coughlan's phone in talk show on KGO.

That same summer, a replacement show for The Jackie Gleason show was Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner.

"The Prisoner was a British television series about an unnamed British intelligence agent who is abducted and imprisoned in a mysterious coastal village, where his captors designate him as Number Six and try to find out why he abruptly resigned from his job."

One night Russ' guest was a retired CIA agent. I called the show and told the guest I was watching The Prisoner and I asked him if the CIA maintained any "villages" like depicted in the TV show to park former intelligence officers that knew too much secret information to be set free into the world at large.

The retired CIA agent's response to my question:

"I wouldn't know anything about something like that."

Russ then promptly disconnected my call.

The Prisoner (TV Series 1967-1968; aired in U.S. June1, 1968) - IMDb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061287/

My mom thought Patrick McGoohan was the coolest...but that was also in his Secret Agent Man days...

"Play Batman, Johnny!"
Dgoldnbaer
Secret Agent Man's theme was one of the best! Tied for 2nd best w/Mission Impossible's. My favorite was Hawaii 5-0's!!
bearister
Dgoldnbaer said:

Secret Agent Man's theme was one of the best! Tied for 2nd best w/Mission Impossible's. My favorite was Hawaii 5-0's!!

Several years ago a buddy of mine bought the complete DVD set of Secret Agent (aka Danger Man in the UK). I binged it. So well done. McGoohan was fantastic. They offered him Bond but as a practicing Catholic, he did not approve of 007's numerous casual affairs. The younger generations only know McGoohan as Longshanks:

…he even did a sappy Disney movie, The Three Lives of Thomasina, with the kids from Mary Poppins:
DiabloWags
I remember saving up for a transistor radio in the late 60's with Spreckles Sugar Coupons. I got my radio and listened to KFRC and Dr. Don.

Good stuff guys!
LunchTime
Oski87 said:

BearGoggles said:

DiabloWags said:

- - - Wiki

They should wait for the election.

They went WAYYYYY too far left. That's why they are dead. Normal people can't take that nonsense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.