RIP KGO 810

12,226 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by southseasbear
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Your thread mushroomed into one of my favorite threads in months.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
prospeCt
~ uhh, cat in the middle, Big Game vintage-dressed 4-some

bearister
KSAN Photo Gallery | KSAN Jive 95: The Movie

https://www.ksanjive95themovie.com/ksan-photo-gallery/

Jerry with NRPS:

SFCityBear
Larno said:

Dr. Don, KFRC! Totally unrelated but I know many of you out there listened daily to the good doctor!
Don Sherwood?
SFCityBear
bearister
SFCityBear said:

Larno said:

Dr. Don, KFRC! Totally unrelated but I know many of you out there listened daily to the good doctor!
Don Sherwood?

He was a KSFO guy:

Don Sherwood (DJ) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Sherwood_(DJ)
MSaviolives
Don left the Bay Area for a year or two to DJ in Honolulu. He apparently didn't dig it too muchcalling Honolulu "Stockton with palm trees"
bearister
Al "Jazzbeaux" Collins was another KSFO/KGO guy. He was MC at the Louis Armstrong concert my Dad took our family to at the Berkeley Community Theater in 1964. It was a tour to support his hit Hello Dolly.

Creeping Incrementalism
I suppose it is kind of telling that a thread about KGO winds up mostly talking about old radio and TV nostalgia. I used to listen to KGO all the time in the late 80s and 90s from about age 10 through maybe 20, but gradually stopped listening to radio as much, and when I did, to other radio stations. People just don't listen as much to the radio anymore, which made the radio station less resilient to bad ownership.

I have fond memories of listening to Joe Starkey both for the 49ers, and Cal. (And non-sports programming too, such as Bill Wattenburg for the type of random non-political subjects that today I would find through random web-surfing.) Like others here, at night, I might even listen to KGO in Southern California not far from the border. But since because of technical issues the KGO engineers can't work a reliable delay anymore to match the TV signal, I don't listen much even in the Bay Area.
sefton
New Years Eve 1978. Staying at my folks in Colfax for Xmas. KSAN, G-Dead and Blues Bros. live from Winterland. I managed to tape it and wore it out over the years.
Ever hopeful and it seems like forever.
movielover
Dr. Bill, what a treasure. He tried to warn the Germans, and Americans, about going overboard on "green energy". Europe will have a brutal winter, the Germans are now burning dirty coal, and will soon be burning wood.
bearister
sefton said:

New Years Eve 1978. Staying at my folks in Colfax for Xmas. KSAN, G-Dead and Blues Bros. live from Winterland. I managed to tape it and wore it out over the years.

Sex Pistols final performance was January 14, 1978 at The Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco, California, which was broadcast live by KSAN-FM.

At the end of the last song of their final gig:

"As the final cymbal crash died away, Rotten addressed the audience directly"Ah-ha-ha. Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? Good night"before throwing down his microphone and walking offstage." Wikipedia

DiabloWags
movielover said:

Dr. Bill, what a treasure. He tried to warn the Germans, and Americans, about going overboard on "green energy". Europe will have a brutal winter, the Germans are now burning dirty coal, and will soon be burning wood.

How did he try and warn the Germans?
He was fired from KGO in 2011.
He died over 4 years ago.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Out Of The Past
The entire Prisoner series is available for viewing on Kanopy. It was quite quirky, fun to watch drama that required a kind of enjoyable suspension of reality. In initial release, the series resulted in the creation of a hard core fan base focused on finding "messages" in each episode. I don't recall what the content of the messages was supposed to be, or who they were intended for, but those buying into the "there is a message" thing were convinced of some higher intent. Back in the 80's, KQED re-ran the series and included debates following each episode between those who thought there was some message there, and those who just thought it was good drama. I re-watched it recently and found most episodes still enjoyable, though the final two or three reach pretty hard to sell you on the notion that this was really hard core avant-gard writing.
bearister
Out Of The Past said:

The entire Prisoner series is available for viewing on Kanopy. It was quite quirky, fun to watch drama that required a kind of enjoyable suspension of reality. In initial release, the series resulted in the creation of a hard core fan base focused on finding "messages" in each episode. I don't recall what the content of the messages was supposed to be, or who they were intended for, but those buying into the "there is a message" thing were convinced of some higher intent. Back in the 80's, KQED re-ran the series and included debates following each episode between those who thought there was some message there, and those who just thought it was good drama. I re-watched it recently and found most episodes still enjoyable, though the final two or three reach pretty hard to sell you on the notion that this was really hard core avant-gard writing.

Patrick McGoohan Explains The Meaning Of The Prisoner, A TV Classic

https://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/2018/06/14/meaning-of-the-prisoner/
movielover
DiabloWags said:

movielover said:

He warned them to become more energy self reliant, which in their case would mean keeping nuclear power, expanding it some, and adding LNG terminals. They did the opposite - shutting down NPP after ***ishima - and now they're burning dirty coal, shutting down heavy industry, and skyrocketing energy prices.
calumnus
movielover said:

DiabloWags said:

movielover said:

He warned them to become more energy self reliant, which in their case would mean keeping nuclear power, expanding it some, and adding LNG terminals. They did the opposite - shutting down NPP after ***ishima - and now they're burning dirty coal, shutting down heavy industry, and skyrocketing energy prices.

Yes, Germany now produces 50% of its power from renewables.

News flash; renewables are produced in Germany and make them more self-reliant, not less.

The issue is their need to import fossil fuels because Germany does not have their own oil and gas. The most economical source is via pipeline from Russia or Norway. LNG via tanker is more expensive and less efficient. However, being dependent on Putin has proven to have high geopolitical risk. Fortunately, LNG terminals can be installed relatively quickly

However, even greater use of renewables would have reduced fossil fuel demand and made them less dependent on fossil fuels from Russia. Sure, so would have nuclear, but nuclear vs renewables is a false dichotomy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_Germany
DiabloWags
movielover said:

DiabloWags said:

movielover said:

He warned them to become more energy self reliant . . .

40% of their Nat-Gas comes from the Russians.
Did Dr. Bill also warn that Putin was a Mad Man?
pasadenaorbust
bearister said:

Al "Jazzbeaux" Collins was another KSFO/KGO guy. He was MC at the Louis Armstrong concert my Dad took our family to at the Berkeley Community Theater in 1964. It was a tour to support his hit Hello Dolly.

Louis live in Berlin, 1965...

movielover
DiabloWags said:

movielover said:

DiabloWags said:

movielover said:

He warned them to become more energy self reliant . . .

40% of their Nat-Gas comes from the Russians.
Did Dr. Bill also warn that Putin was a Mad Man?

President Trump warned Germany, scolded them, and they laughed. They've now restarted 20 coal energy plants, and coal prices are up six fold.

Germany has now shut down a huge aluminum manufacturing facility (more inflation), and is facing a brutal winter driven by its energy crisis.

Der Spiegel: Growing Energy Crisis
A Grave Threat to Industry in Germany

"The horror scenario that German economic leaders have sketched out could hardly be any worse: It foresees the German economy facing far more than just a recession, but a structural fracture that could lead both Germany and Europe to economic ruin. Entire sectors are threatened, and perhaps the core of what has made the country into one of the winners of globalization in recent years: German industry."

https://www.spiegel.de/international/business/growing-energy-crisis-a-grave-threat-to-industry-in-germany-a-9152547c-a31d-483e-a70c-242c280cab23
movielover
Germany chose to rely on Putin over green, reliable nuclear energy or American LNG.

Further, this idiotic gamble now means Germany has restarted 20 coal plants, and some fear they are facing massive economic consequences.
concordtom
DiabloWags said:

On October 6, 2022, an approximately 10 minute looped promo featuring music about money, betting, and winning and announcing "the new 810 KGO is coming Monday" (and similarly worded messages) started airing, strongly hinting a switch to a format based on the world of investing and finance.

- - - Wiki

Sounds like some scam media brought to you by the likes of Trump.
concordtom
Oski87 said:

No wonder starkey retired.

I've read complaints here about starkey in years past. And disliked them.

But I've listened to him for two games this year and I'm like, "uh, yeah, understandable, he's slipped."
concordtom
Bobodeluxe said:

Great news. I have been looking for an am radio source for sport's betting and crypto investment for like forever.

It's all just a subliminal brainwashing scheme.
It eventually works.
movielover
concordtom said:

DiabloWags said:

On October 6, 2022, an approximately 10 minute looped promo featuring music about money, betting, and winning and announcing "the new 810 KGO is coming Monday" (and similarly worded messages) started airing, strongly hinting a switch to a format based on the world of investing and finance.

- - - Wiki

Sounds like some scam media brought to you by the likes of Trump.

Sounds more like the Biden clan. Funny how the children of Biden, Kerry, and Pelosi all "consult" with energy companies in Ukraine. (McConnell specializes in China.)
DiabloWags
movielover said:

Sounds more like the Biden clan. Funny how the children of Biden, Kerry, and Pelosi all "consult" with energy companies in Ukraine. (McConnell specializes in China.)

False.
Looks like you're easy prey for right wing propaganda.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jan/17/blog-posting/was-nancy-pelosis-son-executive-ukrainian-gas-comp/

kelly09
DiabloWags said:

I remember saving up for a transistor radio in the late 60's with Spreckles Sugar Coupons. I got my radio and listened to KFRC and Dr. Don.

Good stuff guys!

Jim Dunbar, Owen Spann, Jim Eason, Ronn Owens and the left wing king of slime, BERNIE WARD!
DiabloWags
movielover said:

Germany chose to rely on Putin over green, reliable nuclear energy or American LNG.

Further, this idiotic gamble now means Germany has restarted 20 coal plants, and some fear they are facing massive economic consequences.

Im aware of Germany's situation.
I have a $270,000 German sports car that goes into production on October 14th.

By the way, shipping LNG is capital intensive and problematic. It requires special terminals at the Port not too mention ships and train cars. You just dont flip a switch overnight. It requires years of infrastructure build out. In the meantime, the U.S. has already been shipping LNG to Germany and their chancellor has started entering into contracts with the U.A.E., although these are currently small contracts.

Germany still has 3 nuclear power plants operating thru December 2022. Its quite possible these plants will be extended, much the same way as Gov. Newsom has done here in California with Diablo Canyon to 2030.

I believe that Germany's current supply of NG in storage is up to 85%. But that's only about 2.5 months worth of demand.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/qa-why-germany-phasing-out-nuclear-power-and-why-now#:~:text=the%20long%20run.-,Facts%20of%20the%20German%20nuclear%20phase%2Dout,to%20a%20phase%2Dout%20schedule.
DiabloWags
movielover said:

You conveniently left out Trump's son in law JARED KUSHNER . . . or do you really believe that the Saudi's would invest $2 Billion in a fledgeling Private Equity fund of a guy that's never managed money professionally before?
movielover
DailyMail: EXCLUSIVE: Nancy Pelosi's son Paul was involved in FIVE companies probed by the feds as shocking paper trail connects him to a slew of fraudsters and convicted criminals

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9827893/Nancy-Pelosis-son-Paul-involved-FIVE-companies-probed-feds.html

No big fan of Jared (except for whatever role he played in the Abraham Accords). He allegedly undercut the MAGA agenda while protecting Wall Street, Blackrock and China.
DiabloWags
Hahahahaha!

Im surprised you didnt post this link as well.

https://www.weeklyblitz.net/opinion/nancy-pelosis-son-is-a-fraud-rapist-and-child-molester/
Bobodeluxe
Even in its shrunken state, this site is hilarious!
movielover
DiabloWags said:

Hahahahaha!

Im surprised you didnt post this link as well.

https://www.weeklyblitz.net/opinion/nancy-pelosis-son-is-a-fraud-rapist-and-child-molester/

Anyone with a brain and an ounce of curiosity knew the Hunter Biden laptop from hell was real. So the MSM and Intelligence Community buried it, and 51 IC members labeled it "Russian Disinformation". Another hoax. All 51 should have a lifetime ban on IC or government work.
TomBear

The story of hunter's computer isn't done yet........

Getting back to KGO, I'm still concerned about the future of Cal athletics pxp. There was already going to be upheaval due to Starkey stepping down. Over the weekend I traveled to San Luis Obispo to watch the Cal Rugby 7s. That's about 3+ hours each way. Thanks to Sirius XM, I was able to listen to several games and while Starkey has his weaknesses, almost every broadcaster I heard, from LSU to Michigan, $C to Oregon left me wondering how we'd feel if they were our pxp guy. Surprisingly, I found the Oregon broadcasters to be the best. They were informative, were clearly enjoying themselves, and had anecdotal information that impressed me. But listening (as I usually do every weekend) to other teams games left me still thinking how much I'll miss Starkey, despite his flaws.

For comparison, many of us remember Hodges and Simmons doing Giants games. While there were competent replacements, I would argue that not until we got the current radio team of broadcasters (and the current TV team of broadcasters) have we had anything that rivaled Hodges and Simmons. Can you imagine trying to replace Kuip and Krup, as an example?

And we don't even know if Cal will maintain KGO in the future. Having a station with a signal that covers the entire coast (at least in late afternoon hours, once we get back to standard time) is helpful to those who don't have satellite radio or a local affiliate on the Cal network. Losing KGO (assuming they maintain their current signal power) would be a very sad thing. When I was in the northwest, it was always nice to be able to listen to Cal sports (before the advent of satellite radio) by tuning in to KGO. I don't know how many out of area people listen to Cal sports on KGO, but there must be some.

BTW, I find SXM's coverage of Cal to be good for the actual game. But to hear the pre and post game shows, you have to listen via the KGO website or other audio alternatives because SXM cuts the coverage almost immediately after the PXP, and doesn't include pregame shows at all.
SFCityBear
bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

Larno said:

Don Sherwood?

He was a KSFO guy:

Yeah, that was confusing. Don Sherwood was on KFRC way back in 1944 for a while, but was mostly on KSFO after that, so anybody posting here probably heard him on KSFO. And I don't remember him ever being referred to as "Dr. Don". They may have confused him with Dr. Don Rose, another local DJ, I think.

I used to listen to him religiously. I too listened to him while I was in bed. My parents made me go to bed early, lights out or else. For a while I read comic books under the sheets with a flashlight, but then I got a 4-tube radio and put it under the blankets, which I listened to under the blankets, with a pair of headphones from a B-17 bomber, given to me by a pilot cousin of my Dad's who flew 35 missions over Germany. One time it got so hot under the blankets that the plastic case melted and I nearly set fire to the bed.

Sherwood used to play the records of Red Blanchard, otherwise known as Nervous Norvous, singing great songs like "Transfusion", and "Ape Call".

One day, Sherwood announced that he said he had the solution for the commute hour jam at the Golden Gate Bridge. He asked, "All of you who are stalled in traffic trying to get on the bridge, open all your windows! Now turn up the volume on your car radio as high as it will go." And then he played a recording of a very loud police car siren.

He used to spend evenings in a bar on Judah Street in the Sunset. I used to pass by there a lot, but was not old enough to be allowed inside, and it was too cold outside to hangout for long and wait for an autograph.
SFCityBear
Out Of The Past
SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

SFCityBear said:

Larno said:

Don Sherwood?

He was a KSFO guy:

Yeah, that was confusing. Don Sherwood was on KFRC way back in 1944 for a while, but was mostly on KSFO after that, so anybody posting here probably heard him on KSFO. And I don't remember him ever being referred to as "Dr. Don". They may have confused him with Dr. Don Rose, another local DJ, I think.

I used to listen to him religiously. I too listened to him while I was in bed. My parents made me go to bed early, lights out or else. For a while I read comic books under the sheets with a flashlight, but then I got a 4-tube radio and put it under the blankets, which I listened to under the blankets, with a pair of headphones from a B-17 bomber, given to me by a pilot cousin of my Dad's who flew 35 missions over Germany. One time it got so hot under the blankets that the plastic case melted and I nearly set fire to the bed.

Sherwood used to play the records of Red Blanchard, otherwise known as Nervous Norvous, singing great songs like "Transfusion", and "Ape Call".

One day, Sherwood announced that he said he had the solution for the commute hour jam at the Golden Gate Bridge. He asked, "All of you who are stalled in traffic trying to get on the bridge, open all your windows! Now turn up the volume on your car radio as high as it will go." And then he played a recording of a very loud police car siren.

He used to spend evenings in a bar on Judah Street in the Sunset. I used to pass by there a lot, but was not old enough to be allowed inside, and it was too cold outside to hangout for long and wait for an autograph.
We got KSFO loud and clear in Sacramento when I was growing up there. Sherwood had a morning show that started about the same time my sister and I left the house for school. My mother would drive us to school on her way to her job downtown. She thought Sherwood was hilarious and my sister and I got a laugh out of it too...at least it was better than listening to your mother. His program planted the image in our early teenage minds that San Francisco was a great place to be. We would both wind up there after college for various lengths of time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.