Sac St Troy Taylor

14,605 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by movielover
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gary Patterson from TCU, now a special assistant at Texas, is a premier candidate.
going4roses
Lol
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
going4roses
movielover said:

Gary Patterson from TCU, now a special assistant at Texas, is a premier candidate.

I doubt it … he hired SD as a analyst
MilleniaBear
You mean Chad Morris right?
MilleniaBear
Well if he could renounce his earlier positions....a shot at redemption would be good.
Gobears49
Hawaii Haas said:

How about Nick Rolovich for OC? He was OC at Hawaii and Nevada. He's coaching high school in the Bay Area; he's native to Daly City and Novato. He brings an unique offense (the Run & Shoot pistol - hybrid Hawaii/Nevada) that produced 3 1,000 yard receivers and the 4th one was close, in 2019. He has a lot of JC connections, having gone that route: esp Laney, CCSF, College of San Mateo.

I strongly believe for Hawaii and a school like Cal, that you need to run an unique offense and not try to need the same players that everyone else is trying to get. Your offensive stars will need to stay at your school because of the unique offense (vs portal).

He had some issues as HC at WSU, but he's young (early 40's) and has a good mind. He might be the type to lay low for a while as a coordinator after the high profile drama.

While I want only Hawaii to run the RNS offense. I'd be ok if Cal had some success with it. I don't like WSU.

Brennan Marion coached at Hawaii in 2020 (Tulsa connection with then coach Todd Graham). Then, went to Pitt and took Melquise Stovall with him. He does have a good rep. He does job hop a lot.

He's the one who wouldn't get the Covid shot while HC at WSU and so was fired. So he's the worst fit possible at Cal.
Rushinbear
Gobears49 said:

Hawaii Haas said:

How about Nick Rolovich for OC? He was OC at Hawaii and Nevada. He's coaching high school in the Bay Area; he's native to Daly City and Novato. He brings an unique offense (the Run & Shoot pistol - hybrid Hawaii/Nevada) that produced 3 1,000 yard receivers and the 4th one was close, in 2019. He has a lot of JC connections, having gone that route: esp Laney, CCSF, College of San Mateo.

I strongly believe for Hawaii and a school like Cal, that you need to run an unique offense and not try to need the same players that everyone else is trying to get. Your offensive stars will need to stay at your school because of the unique offense (vs portal).

He had some issues as HC at WSU, but he's young (early 40's) and has a good mind. He might be the type to lay low for a while as a coordinator after the high profile drama.

While I want only Hawaii to run the RNS offense. I'd be ok if Cal had some success with it. I don't like WSU.

Brennan Marion coached at Hawaii in 2020 (Tulsa connection with then coach Todd Graham). Then, went to Pitt and took Melquise Stovall with him. He does have a good rep. He does job hop a lot.

He's the one who wouldn't get the Covid shot while HC at WSU and so was fired. So he's the worst fit possible at Cal.
Except the the SCIENCE may be proving him right (may - the science is never settled). NTL, he would never hear the end of it, anyway.
movielover
What happened to medical privacy, freedom, and freedom from experimental untested vaccines?
Alkiadt
movielover said:

What happened to medical privacy, freedom, and freedom from experimental untested vaccines?

Well, he's suing WSU so I doubt any Pac-12 schools even talks to him under those circumstances.
Regardless he's not getting hired at Cal.
Rushinbear
movielover said:

At Cal, Berkeley? All depends which side you're on.
calumnus
movielover said:

What about the freedom of a player to express HIS views? Rolovich threatened a player with benching if he expressed his position on civil rights. Hypocrisy and narcissism of the right on full display. Rolovich advocating for his right to actively endanger the lives of others while personally suppressing the rights of someone else who is trying to protect their life, the lives of their loved ones and others through free speech.
Rushinbear
calumnus said:

movielover said:

What about the freedom of a player to express HIS views? Rolovich threatened a player with benching if he expressed his position on civil rights. Hypocrisy and narcissism of the right on full display. Rolovich advocating for his right to actively endanger the lives of others while personally suppressing the rights of someone else to protect their lives and the lives of their loved ones through free speech.
Without knowing the particulars of either situation any more than you, I'd say "There you have it."
movielover
Troy Taylor is up 24-7 tonight vs #14 Idaho, on his way to 8-0 behind a running attack.
upsetof86
movielover said:

Troy Taylor is up 24-7 tonight vs #14 Idaho, on his way to 8-0 behind a running attack.

Loved him as our qb back in the day.
kal kommie
movielover said:

Sac State fell behind 28-24 after back to back Idaho TDs off turnovers but drove down in the final 2 minutes to score and win 31-28. Now 8-0, the Hornets will face FCS top-5 ranked 7-1 Weber St next week. If they win, they're very likely to finish the regular season undefeated as their remaining two games are against bad teams.
movielover
The Aggies aren't bad just had a brutal opening 5 game stretch. Now 4-4. Sac will still be favored.
movielover
Troy Taylor has 2 senior QBs, and plays them both. The number #2 QB, O'Hara, is their Wildcat QB.

Sac is ranked #3, and played at rainy, windy #5 Weber State. TT started O'Hara, an unconventional move, and he went 10 / 13 for about 160 yds passing, and roughly 80 yds rushing. Sac wins 33-30. This despite stud RB and #1 option Scattebo being contained.

On Weber's last drive, they were 3rd and goal, and Sac DBs smartly held WSU WRs three times, preventing a TD and chewing up valuable game clock. Weber finally ran two plays on the ground.

Seeded high enough in the playoffs, Sac could get a bye and home field advantage.
calumnus
movielover said:

Troy Taylor has 2 senior QBs, and plays them both. The number #2 QB, O'Hara, is their Wildcat QB.

Sac is ranked #3, and played at rainy, windy #5 Weber State. TT started O'Hara, an unconventional move, and he went 10 / 13 for about 160 yds passing, and roughly 80 yds rushing. Sac wins 33-30. This despite stud RB and #1 option Scattebo being contained.

On Weber's last drive, they were 3rd and goal, and Sac DBs smartly held WSU WRs three times, preventing a TD and chewing up valuable game clock. Weber finally ran two plays on the ground.

Seeded high enough in the playoffs, Sac could get a bye and home field advantage.

Wow. Thanks for the summary. Winning on the road against #5? Congrats coach Taylor!
movielover
FWIW, Beau Balwin is 3-20 over 3 years at Cal Poly.
Gobears49
movielover said:

Top four ranked teams in the FCS playoffs get a bye in the first round.
movielover
FTR, Sac State 45, bottom feeder Portland State 17.

Sac is now 10-0.
calumnus
movielover said:

Sac is now 10-0.

Too bad Knowlton gave Wilcox 5 more years.
bipolarbear
calumnus said:

movielover said:

Sac is now 10-0.

Everyone seems to agree that Taylor would only be wanting HC jobs. But would he come here to be OC if enough money were offered him?
Go!Bears
bipolarbear said:

calumnus said:

movielover said:

Sac is now 10-0.

Everyone seems to agree that Taylor would only be wanting HC jobs. But would he come here to be OC if enough money were offered him?
Serious question. If we were thinking about a legit head coach serving as a coordinator... Why not hire Troy as Head Coach and demote Wilcox to DC, continuing him at his current salary? He either quits or we over pay for DC, but save a DC salary. I know, there may be a clause in Wilcox' salary that stipulates his job at Cal...
upsetof86
should have shorted crypto all would be paid for.
Gobears49
I am a huge Taylor supporter and recommended him to be Cal's head coach over two years ago, over loud criticism at Cal's CGB board and, later, W4C. About a year ago I send a series of articles on Taylor to Knowlton, mainly the Wikipedia article, who didn't know anything about him.

I doubt we can afford to hire Taylor now given our expensive extension to Wilcox. But we could mostly fix our problem by hiring new OC and OL coaches, hopefully younger guys. Wilcox is an excellent defensive coach, better than most strictly DC coaches, so having him aboard to run our defense now is a good thing so long as our offense is consistenty fixed, or at least better than it has been this season, overall.

Taylor could pick up and leave Sac. St. soon for a decent FBS job. If he does well there I bet he would love to then come to Cal as our head coach if it was available then, at a time when Wilcox's remaining years of salary would make more sense than now to pay off. Taylor has expressed in many ways this interest in running the Cal football program, as he loves Cal and has proved that as a player, an assistant coach here (I think three years) and as a Cal radio announcer. He has pronounced many times how much he loves the Berkeley area and I bet would remain as Cal''s head coach if he were so named, no matter what we pay him (as long as it was a reasonable, until he retires from Cal.

Financial circumstances have forced us to keep Wilcox, but that isn't so bad since he is an excellent defensive coach. Again, our problems have been on the offensive side of the ball, which Wilcox doesn't really get involved with as much as his defensive group, though I was pleasantly surprised by Cal's offense vs. USC. Let's just fix the offense and see how things shake out for a few years. Perhaps Taylor will be receptive to being our head coach in a few years after being a HC somewhere else. At that time we can measure how well he has done since leaving Sac. St. and then pull the trigger on him then, if we want to, to bring him aboard at Cal, to be our HC.
going4roses
After losing to Arizona last year there should have been no extension.

Walk
Gobears49
upsetof86 said:

So you're to blame that we don't have enough money to buy out Wilcox's contract, right?
calumnus
going4roses said:

After losing to Arizona last year there should have been no extension.

Walk

The extension last year was gross fiscal misconduct. Absolutely unnecessary. The prior one for "COVID" too. Even the one before that was borderline considering it was for the coach a last place team.
Golden One
Gobears49 said:

I am a huge Taylor supporter and recommended him to be Cal's head coach over two years ago, over loud criticism at Cal's CGB board and, later, W4C. About a year ago I send a series of articles on Taylor to Knowlton, mainly the Wikipedia article, who didn't know anything about him.

I doubt we can afford to hire Taylor now given our expensive extension to Wilcox. But we could mostly fix our problem by hiring new OC and OL coaches, hopefully younger guys. Wilcox is an excellent defensive coach, better than most strictly DC coaches, so having him aboard to run our defense now is a good thing so long as our offense is consistenty fixed, or at least better than it has been this season, overall.

Taylor could pick up and leave Sac. St. soon for a decent FBS job. If he does well there I bet he would love to then come to Cal as our head coach if it was available then, at a time when Wilcox's remaining years of salary would make more sense than now to pay off. Taylor has expressed in many ways this interest in running the Cal football program, as he loves Cal and has proved that as a player, an assistant coach here (I think three years) and as a Cal radio announcer. He has pronounced many times how much he loves the Berkeley area and I bet would remain as Cal''s head coach if he were so named, no matter what we pay him (as long as it was a reasonable, until he retires from Cal.

Financial circumstances have forced us to keep Wilcox, but that isn't so bad since he is an excellent defensive coach. Again, our problems have been on the offensive side of the ball, which Wilcox doesn't really get involved with as much as his defensive group, though I was pleasantly surprised by Cal's offense vs. USC. Let's just fix the offense and see how things shake out for a few years. Perhaps Taylor will be receptive to being our head coach in a few years after being a HC somewhere else. At that time we can measure how well he has done since leaving Sac. St. and then pull the trigger on him then, if we want to, to bring him aboard at Cal, to be our HC.

Why do some people keep saying that Wilcox is an excellent defensive coordinator/defensive coach? What has he ever done in his career to merit such lavish praise?
going4roses
He had been running good schemes … but w/o TDR and GA it's not the same and it's gradually been showing itself more and more
Gobears49
Gobears49 said:

upsetof86 said:

So you're to blame that we don't have enough money to buy out Wilcox's contract, right?
Nope. I was not at all in favor of giving Wilcox an extension at Cal. I had two reasons for that.

1) The only reason Wilcox was given an extension was because Oregon wanted him, but that was for the wrong reasons, and certainly not his record at Cal. There seemed to be pressure on the Oregon AD to hire Wilcox because a large group of ex-Oregon players (mainly football players) were putting pressure on him to hire one of their own as Oregon's HC.

2) At about the same time, probably before Wilcox was offered, there were a series of articles asking fans at other schools how they felt about various west coast coaches. Forget which schools and coaches were involved, but I recall Washington fans were not high on Wilcox at all. Probably because he was the only coach on the Huskie list (and every other school list) that had an overall losing record.

Cal clearly extended Wilcox because Oregon thought he was great, which was principally through pressure from ex-Duck athletes, many of them famous Duck jocks. Not a good reason at all for Cal to give Wilcox any long extension.

BTW, for those of you who haven't read it, here's the Wikipedia summary on Troy Taylor. Good stuff. Sac. St. is now second in the FCS rankings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/fcs-coaches-poll/

going4roses
Oregon played us big time
Gobears49
going4roses said:

Oregon played us big time
Disagree. Makes no sense at all for Oregon to make Wilcox an offer, t"hinking 1) Wilcox would turn it down, and 2) would lead Cal to extend Wilcox's contract. Assumes big pieces of "knowledge" they didn't have and couldn't ever have.
upsetof86
Gobears49 said:

upsetof86 said:

In a word, yes. Lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.