Sac St Troy Taylor

14,616 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by movielover
going4roses
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In hindsight I disagree … they are trending way up and we …
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Golden One
going4roses said:

He had been running good schemes … but w/o TDR and GA it's not the same and it's gradually been showing itself more and more
So, maybe his defensive prowess was due to TDR and GA.
GivemTheAxe
calumnus said:

Cal_79 said:

upsetof86 said:

Cal_79 said:

bipolarbear said:

Strykur said:

Hire
What to do with Wilcox's massive buy out?

What are your thoughts about whether JW could become a good AD to replace Knowlton?

This is a transparent effort to draw another parallel to Holmoe. No to the AD idea, haven't we been saying our man Wilcox has hiring and personnel management deficiencies? Is this about finding a way to absorb his disastrous buyout cost or some irrational Cal crush on coach because he doesn't look or act like a "hard core" football coach, which would be beneath us?

From my perspective, this is absolutely about finding a way to absorb JW's disastrous buyout.

Exactly, Knowlton extending Wilcox 6 years out has put us in a bind. Unless we get some huge financial windfall, we have two choices:

1) Force a change at OC and hope we finally get a good one (along with offensive staff changes, especially OL) or

2) fire Wilcox and hire someone with upside on the cheap, who we would hope would be loyal and stay underpaid at Cal until we are out from under Wilcox's contract or who would inspire alums to kick in the money needed. The two obvious options are Rivera and Taylor. We know Taylor is available.

I think your explanation of the choices forces the only answer. #1.
It is more likely that Wilcox can find a competent replacement for Musgrave. Than Cal can find a competent replacement for Wilcox by hiring his replacement on the cheap.

To me it looks like a Wilcox has 1 or 2 more years to turn things around. So let's stop wasting time talking about a replacement for Wilcox and start talking about a replacement for Musgrave
Big C
Go!Bears said:

bipolarbear said:

calumnus said:

movielover said:

FTR, Sac State 45, bottom feeder Portland State 17.

Sac is now 10-0.

Too bad Knowlton gave Wilcox 5 more years.
Everyone seems to agree that Taylor would only be wanting HC jobs. But would he come here to be OC if enough money were offered him?
Serious question. If we were thinking about a legit head coach serving as a coordinator... Why not hire Troy as Head Coach and demote Wilcox to DC, continuing him at his current salary? He either quits or we over pay for DC, but save a DC salary. I know, there may be a clause in Wilcox' salary that stipulates his job at Cal...

Too creative. Too outside-the-box. We could never do it. Makes too much sense.
going4roses
Swagger and tackling has fallen off… I believe many factors are involved personal has changed / injuries/ lack of depth /change in coaches - chemistry
movielover
FWIW, Davis wins again (6-4), setting up a big Causeway Classic next Saturday between the Aggies and Hornets. Sac (#2) a lock for national playoffs, but Aggies likely need a win to get in. Troy Taylor vs Dan Hawkins.
movielover
Sacramento Bee: Sac State's biggest fear is losing coach Troy Taylor, but he has 'no intention of leaving'

BY JOE DAVIDSON
UPDATED NOVEMBER 11, 2022 11:37 AM

"Taylor's gifts include focusing on the immediate. The only thing the Hornets are talking about this week is their next opponent, Portland State, and then it'll be UC Davis for the annual Causeway Classic. Sacramento State was winless in the Big Sky in 2018 and Taylor has promptly gone 21-2 in the Big Sky ever since. The Hornets' regular-season winning streak is a program-record 17. Sacramento State dropped a hammer at Colorado State 41-10 earlier this season, and Orr said he made sure to collect the $400,000 payout to even play the game.

"But for all of that gloss, the Hornets are 0-2 in the FCS playoffs under Taylor and staff. That drives everyone on the roster. Should Sacramento State win its final two Big Sky games, the Hornets would secure the No. 1 or 2 national FCS seed. That means the Hornets could host up to three playoff games, if they win them. The opportunity to bring a national championship to Sacramento is right there for the taking, and if an FBS program plucks Taylor for that achievement, so be it. But Taylor isn't spending late nights wondering where his next gig will be...."

"...Taylor has said he would coach for a sack lunch and a cold bottle of water. That's pretty much what he earned while leading Folsom to record success. Money talks but not everyone walks.

" "I'm doing the same thing I did at Folsom [High School], only this pays more," Taylor said with a laugh."

"When Taylor was at Folsom, he drove a beater of a Toyota Camry, with years-old french fries wedged between the seats and melted crayons marking the beige carpets, the bonus of hauling your own kids around.

" "It's a miracle we get paid to do this, to coach," Taylor said. "I've got a better car now. The Camry is somewhere, in a junkyard, crayons and all. I'm very happy here."

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article268532647.html
calumnus
movielover said:

Sacramento Bee: Sac State's biggest fear is losing coach Troy Taylor, but he has 'no intention of leaving'

BY JOE DAVIDSON
UPDATED NOVEMBER 11, 2022 11:37 AM

"Taylor's gifts include focusing on the immediate. The only thing the Hornets are talking about this week is their next opponent, Portland State, and then it'll be UC Davis for the annual Causeway Classic. Sacramento State was winless in the Big Sky in 2018 and Taylor has promptly gone 21-2 in the Big Sky ever since. The Hornets' regular-season winning streak is a program-record 17. Sacramento State dropped a hammer at Colorado State 41-10 earlier this season, and Orr said he made sure to collect the $400,000 payout to even play the game.

"But for all of that gloss, the Hornets are 0-2 in the FCS playoffs under Taylor and staff. That drives everyone on the roster. Should Sacramento State win its final two Big Sky games, the Hornets would secure the No. 1 or 2 national FCS seed. That means the Hornets could host up to three playoff games, if they win them. The opportunity to bring a national championship to Sacramento is right there for the taking, and if an FBS program plucks Taylor for that achievement, so be it. But Taylor isn't spending late nights wondering where his next gig will be...."

"...Taylor has said he would coach for a sack lunch and a cold bottle of water. That's pretty much what he earned while leading Folsom to record success. Money talks but not everyone walks.

" "I'm doing the same thing I did at Folsom [High School], only this pays more," Taylor said with a laugh."

"When Taylor was at Folsom, he drove a beater of a Toyota Camry, with years-old french fries wedged between the seats and melted crayons marking the beige carpets, the bonus of hauling your own kids around.

" "It's a miracle we get paid to do this, to coach," Taylor said. "I've got a better car now. The Camry is somewhere, in a junkyard, crayons and all. I'm very happy here."

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article268532647.html

" would coach for a bag lunch and a bottle of water" But Cal fans were disparaging Taylor, a fellow alum, while extolling the virtues of Wilcox, the guy that hired Tosh away from Cal to trash Tedford's recruiting class and leveraged an offer from his alma mater and Knowlton's incompetence to get a six year extension at $5 million a year.
BearSD
calumnus said:

movielover said:

" would coach for a bag lunch and a bottle of water" But Cal fans were disparaging Taylor, a fellow alum, while extolling the virtues of Wilcox, the guy that hired Tosh away from Cal to trash Tedford's recruiting class and leveraged an offer from his alma mater and Knowlton's incompetence to get a six year extension at $5 million a year.
That's one thing to *not* get upset about, because any one of us would do the same if we had the opportunity. Especially in a fickle profession like coaching.
calumnus
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

movielover said:

That's one thing to *not* get upset about, because any one of us would do the same if we had the opportunity. Especially in a fickle profession like coaching.

I don't blame Wilcox, but Cal fans lauded him for his "loyalty" and "character" while disparaging Taylor's credentials.
going4roses
jy1988
Pretty obivious as to the best situation for all of us:
JW manages to bring in TT with the understanding that he fixes the O and if JW and Cal is successful, JW eventually (sooner) goes to UO (if he proves himself here they'll take him) and Troy inherits the HC job. I think Troy might see the wisdom in this.
Gobears49
movielover said:

Solid team, top 5-10 team right now, with two legit wins, Colorado State and Montana (#7). Favorable schedule.
Colorado St. is 2 - 8 this season. They are an FBS school.

The game this Saturday between undefeated and #2 ranked in FCS Sac. St. and #19 ranked and cross town rival UC Davis should be a good one. Hope it is on a TV station I can get.
Shocky1
troy taylor is not returning to berkeley as the oc

clue#
movielover
At least ESPN+. Sac RB Scattabo is a beast, and the Aggies had one of the toughest schedules in FCS, playing 3 top 6 teams.
going4roses
I would pay to see Jackson st and Sac st go at it
Gobears49
going4roses said:

However, for some strange reason, which doesn't make sense, Jackson St. is ranked #5 in the FCS but is not listed in the 24 team playoff. I chatted with someone at another Cal site and he can't explain why this is so. I did read an article that the Southland Conference, or something close to that, is very weak but that doesn't explain the discrepancy between Jackson St.'s ranking in FCS and not making the 24 team playoffs
GMP
Gobears49 said:

going4roses said:

However, for some strange reason, which doesn't make sense, Jackson St. is ranked #5 in the FCS but is not listed in the 24 team playoff. I chatted with someone at another Cal site and he can't explain why this is so. I did read an article that the Southland Conference, or something close to that, is very weak but that doesn't explain the discrepancy between Jackson St.'s ranking in FCS and not making the 24 team playoffs

I didn't know about this until reading your post so I googled it and the answer to your question, unsurprisingly, is money.

Quote:

Unlike FBS bowl games, the FCS does not feature a system of compensation in exchange for participation.

For schools to host FCS playoff games, the NCAA requires that they submit bids or guarantees of how much they will pay for each home date. The organization sets minimum bids that get higher for each round

The minimum bidding starts at $30,000 for the first round to $40,000 for the second round, $50,000 for the quarterfinals and $60,000 for the semifinals. Some schools with bigger budgets can bid more money to host games on or near its campus.

If the winning school makes money during the duration of its postseason run, the NCAA takes a larger cut minus the school's expenses. In turn, the school receives a larger share of whatever is left over.

Under these parameters, it would seem the Celebration Bowl featuring the SWAC and MEAC champions is a more lucrative financial opportunity. The participating conferences get $1 million each in payouts.

"Everyone would love to see us play. I would love to see us compete against one of those schools," he said. "But financially, I think we're in a much better place at the celebration of playing for our people as well. I'm truly happy."

https://hbcusports.com/2022/10/31/deion-sanders-reaffirms-jackson-state-not-concerned-with-fcs-playoffs/?amp
Go!Bears
jy1988 said:

Pretty obivious as to the best situation for all of us:
JW manages to bring in TT with the understanding that he fixes the O and if JW and Cal is successful, JW eventually (sooner) goes to UO (if he proves himself here they'll take him) and Troy inherits the HC job. I think Troy might see the wisdom in this.
You are dreaming my dream
kal kommie
GMP said:

Gobears49 said:

going4roses said:

I didn't know about this until reading your post so I googled it and the answer to your question, unsurprisingly, is money.

Quote:

Unlike FBS bowl games, the FCS does not feature a system of compensation in exchange for participation.

For schools to host FCS playoff games, the NCAA requires that they submit bids or guarantees of how much they will pay for each home date. The organization sets minimum bids that get higher for each round

The minimum bidding starts at $30,000 for the first round to $40,000 for the second round, $50,000 for the quarterfinals and $60,000 for the semifinals. Some schools with bigger budgets can bid more money to host games on or near its campus.

If the winning school makes money during the duration of its postseason run, the NCAA takes a larger cut minus the school's expenses. In turn, the school receives a larger share of whatever is left over.

Under these parameters, it would seem the Celebration Bowl featuring the SWAC and MEAC champions is a more lucrative financial opportunity. The participating conferences get $1 million each in payouts.

"Everyone would love to see us play. I would love to see us compete against one of those schools," he said. "But financially, I think we're in a much better place at the celebration of playing for our people as well. I'm truly happy."

https://hbcusports.com/2022/10/31/deion-sanders-reaffirms-jackson-state-not-concerned-with-fcs-playoffs/?amp
Wow, I had no idea the FCS playoffs worked that way. What an absurd system.
movielover
Sac State beats Davis 27-21 before a record crowd of over 23,000. A key play was a fake punt on 4th down.

Sac Bee: "...That's Cal McGough. Who? Cal McGough, the 6-foot-2 freshman punter from Geelong, Victoria, Australia, who learned to kick and punt in something called ProKick Australia.

"On fourth-and-11, McGough was ready to punt with just under 10 minutes to play, saw a rush coming his way and then took off for a 20-yard gain that led to O'Hara's last score.

" 'It was not a planned fake," [Coach Troy] Taylor said with a laugh. "I wasn't looking, and I turn and my Australian punter is running with the ball. When he first practiced fakes, he held the ball but didn't have his hand over the point of the ball. He's gotten better
with that." "

FCS playoffs seeds announced at 9:30 AM this morning. The Hornets will have a high seed at 11-0. Remarkable turnaround by Coach Taylor. UC Davis, 6-5, has an outside chance, given that they had competitive losses to top 10 teams and the Golden Bears. Brutal schedule.
going4roses
movielover
TT continues their unbeaten season today at 2 PM.
movielover
Best game going, 31-31 in Q4. Sac coming back.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Sac State wins it 38-31!
TouchedTheAxeIn82
Troy Taylor wins his first FCS playoff game and moves on. I think he was 0-2 before this win.
Gobears49
Word is, on another platform, that Stanford has Taylor all tied up to be their next head coach but that will not be announced until after Sac. St's season is over.

Too bad we can't pay Taylor a head coaching salary for him doing OC work. I'm very upset about all of this. We should never have extended Wilcox. That was just because ex-Oregon players wanted him to be our head coach, not because of the "good work" Wilcox had done at Cal. Any good ideas on how to get that done?

I may have to sign up for ESPN+ to watch Sac. St's next game against a good Incarnate Word team, a very good team from an average conference.
CalGrad95
If this happens we need to run Jim Knowlton out of town on a rail. Absolute clown shoes.
southseasbear
Gobears49 said:

Word is, on another platform, that Stanford has Taylor all tied up to be their next head coach but that will not be announced until after Sac. St's season is over.

Too bad we can't pay Taylor a head coaching salary for him doing OC work. I'm very upset about all of this. We should never have extended Wilcox. That was just because ex-Oregon players wanted him to be our head coach, not because of the "good work" Wilcox had done at Cal. Any good ideas on how to get that done?

I may have to sign up for ESPN+ to watch Sac. St's next game against a good Incarnate Word team, a very good team from an average conference.
If this happens I will cut all donations to Cal. I'll continue to buy season tickets to football games (for now) but not a dime to provide any support for these incompetent administrators.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
movielover
Sac State comes from behind to win 38-31, hosts a quarterfinal game next Saturday.

Sac plays two senior QBs, QB #2 more of a running QB, but he can pass.

In the 4th quarter TT brings in the running QB on 2nd down, and he predictably runs for a 1 yard gain. On 3rd down and 5, the reserve "running" QB throws a 51 yard TD - looks like great strategy. Maybe 30 yards in the air, 20 YAC. Even the announcer believed it was a solid strategy move.

Beau Baldwin update

Beau Baldwin, 4-21 at Cal Poly in 3 years, has resigned as HC and will become the OC at ASU.
Gobears49
Big C said:

Go!Bears said:

bipolarbear said:

calumnus said:

movielover said:

FTR, Sac State 45, bottom feeder Portland State 17.

Sac is now 10-0.

Too bad Knowlton gave Wilcox 5 more years.
Everyone seems to agree that Taylor would only be wanting HC jobs. But would he come here to be OC if enough money were offered him?
Serious question. If we were thinking about a legit head coach serving as a coordinator... Why not hire Troy as Head Coach and demote Wilcox to DC, continuing him at his current salary? He either quits or we over pay for DC, but save a DC salary. I know, there may be a clause in Wilcox' salary that stipulates his job at Cal...

Too creative. Too outside-the-box. We could never do it. Makes too much sense.
I like it. But let's see how far Sac. St. goes. Also, since there seem to be some strong rumors out there that Stanford will make Taylor an offer once Sac. St.s season is done, if we want to go this route, we should ask that Taylor give Cal an opportunity, as Taylor's alma mater, to make him a counter offer before he accepts any Stanford offer and two or three days time to do that after that Stanford offer.
stanfurdbites
Same
movielover
My guess is they won't wait for Taylor to contemplate for days. What will be the offer - $3-6 M per year, at 4-5 years, let's say a $25M offer. Set for life. Not bad. Premier facilities and support. Cal made a bad move w the Wilcox extension.
westcoast101
Deion to Colorado and Taylor to Stanford while we're stuck with Wilcox. Typical Cal.
Big C
westcoast101 said:

Deion to Colorado and Taylor to Stanford while we're stuck with Wilcox. Typical Cal.

Don't worry: I'm suggesting that Wilcox rebrand himself as "Coach Sublime"!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.