Is Anyone Else Going to The World Cup?

18,869 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cal88
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As a Dutch man I will be rooting for the US. This game is doable for the US. The Dutch may underestimate them. They have been lackadaisical. I will not wear my orange jersey for this game.
Cal88
Bad fundamental team defense, twice, poorly marked players right in the freakin middle of the box, very frustrating.
sycasey
Netherlands showing how it's done in the final third. Team USA needs to learn that.
bearsandgiants
Cal88 said:

Bad fundamental team defense, twice, poorly marked players right in the freakin middle of the box, very frustrating.

Terribly lazy. Embarrassing. And despite playing for their entire lives, nobody has any touch. Maybe in 4 years we'll have a chance.
prospeCt
https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2022/dec/03/netherlands-v-usa-world-cup-2022-last-16-usmnt-live-score-updates#maincontent

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/03/pele-moved-to-end-of-life-care-in-hospital-reports-say

bearister
I am not a soccer guy so please explain:

Wouldn't USA be just as well off taking a shot when they are a few yards from the goal rather than passing it and turning it over every single time?
I know they think the shot will be blocked by goalie but maybe goalie will choke or a defender will alter it and it goes in.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
nikeykid
team US is the California Golden Bears of soccer.
sycasey
nikeykid said:

No, they did about what they "should" do at this stage in their development: make the Round of 16. Going further would have been an overperformance for this young roster.

Next cycle should be fun.
sluggo
bearsandgiants said:

Cal88 said:

Terribly lazy. Embarrassing. And despite playing for their entire lives, nobody has any touch. Maybe in 4 years we'll have a chance.
This is a bit harsh. The US had major injury problems. Almost all of its top players (all but Adams) have been out recently for their club teams. McKennie and Reyna were not themselves. The two best center backs were out. They played Holland straight up, and maybe were too offensive, but that is the way to play if you are ever want to win. I like the courage.

Soccer is a very complicated game and the Dutch learn to play "the right way" virtually from birth. Their players know how to make the right runs, and where to look for those runs on defense. That was the main difference. Their coach is also a master.

One more advantage is they were much bigger, which was helpful. Even though the US has twenty times the population, the US van Dijks and Gakpos play other sports.

But if early Pulisic took one more touch to put the ball on his right foot and open up the goal, he likely scores and maybe it would have been interesting.
sluggo
sycasey said:

nikeykid said:

No, they did about what they "should" do at this stage in their development: make the Round of 16. Going further would have been an overperformance for this young roster.

I agree. The US is a top 16 team but not a top 8 team. This team had three major problems:
1. Sub-par center backs.
2. No striker.
3. Lack of understanding.

Problem 1 will be fixed. A couple guys were hurt and there are some younger guys to replace the two man buns in the next cycle. Problem 2 probably needs a work around. Like in basketball the best soccer players announce themselves when they are very young, and there is no striker on the horizon. Spain had a period with no strikers and won with just midfielders. I think that needs to be the approach. Problem 3 is more tricky. Every year the players get more savvy, but there is still a long way to go.

I can't wait to be there in person in 2026.
sluggo
bearister said:

Wouldn't USA be just as well off taking a shot when they are a few yards from the goal rather than passing it and turning it over every single time?
I know they think the shot will be blocked by goalie but maybe goalie will choke or a defender will alter it and it goes in.
Analytics supports making the extra pass. My subjective viewing also supports it.

But it depends on the situation. I can't think of a time this game with the US passed when they should have shot.
sycasey
sluggo said:

sycasey said:

nikeykid said:

I agree. The US is a top 16 team but not a top 8 team. This team had three major problems:
1. Sub-par center backs.
2. No striker.

Problem 1 will be fixed. A couple guys were hurt and there are some younger guys to replace the two man buns in the next cycle. Problem 2 probably needs a work around. Like in basketball the best soccer players announce themselves when they are very young, and there is no striker on the horizon. Spain had a period with no strikers and won with just midfielders. I think that needs to be the approach. Problem 3 is more tricky. Every year the players get more savvy, but there is still a long way to go.

IIRC, injuries also prevented the main group from playing together for most of the qualifying cycle. That probably contributed to the lack of understanding. You could see it in the passing in the scoring area: they just didn't know where other guys were going to be. A lot of crosses to no one.
sycasey
sluggo said:

bearister said:

Analytics supports making the extra pass. My subjective viewing also supports it.

But it depends on the situation. I can't think of a time this game with the US passed when they should have shot.

Seems like the best way to score in soccer is to get a "misdirect" in front of goal. That's why the extra pass usually works. If the guy with the ball just shoots it, the goalie probably grabs it, because he can see what's coming.
bearister
Thanks sluggo and sycasey.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
-Van Gaal`s 3-5-2 totally disrupted the US, Dutch midfield dominated both with their ball movement as well as winning 1v1 contested balls.

-All 3 Holland goals came from players who were unmarked (or poorly marked in teh 2nd goal), that kind of repeated breakdown is totally out of place at this level of competition. If we took a goal like the first one in my circa 1990s Saturday morning pub league game, we`d be at each other`s throats for 5 minutes, there would be a lot of yelling and some embarrassment for the guy who dropped the ball.

-Wright should have had that sitter served to him on a silver plate

-Maybe a healthy Pulisic would have slotted the ball past Noppert

-Maybe the US soccer federation should think of hiring a world-class manager from Europe for 26

Rough way to end a good tournament.
sluggo
Cal88 said:

-Van Gaal`s 3-5-2 totally disrupted the US, Dutch midfield dominated both with their ball movement as well as winning 1v1 contested balls.

-All 3 Holland goals came from players who were unmarked (or poorly marked in teh 2nd goal), that kind of repeated breakdown is totally out of place at this level of competition. If we took a goal like the first one in my circa 1990s Saturday morning pub league game, we`d be at each other`s throats for 5 minutes, there would be a lot of yelling and some embarrassment for the guy who dropped the ball.

-Maybe the US soccer federation should think of hiring a world-class manager from Europe for 26

All true but I think weak center backs led to lack of trust. Like on the third goal, Robinson is tucked in "helping" Ream and leaves the back post attacker unmarked. Obviously the wrong move, but if Chris Richards is standing next to him, he might not have felt the need to help.

Berhalter had been given a lot of credit for his tactics during the first round. But he seemed outclassed in this game. I think the team was unbalanced, too far forward and vulnerable to a counter attack. A German coach would be nice for the next cycle, but I think Berhalter keeps his job.
Cal88
sluggo said:

Cal88 said:

All true but I think weak center backs led to lack of trust. Like on the third goal, Robinson is tucked in "helping" Ream and leaves the back post attacker unmarked. Obviously the wrong move, but if Chris Richards is standing next to him, he might not have felt the need to help.

Berhalter had been given a lot of credit for his tactics during the first round. But he seemed outclassed in this game. I think the team was unbalanced, too far forward and vulnerable to a counter attack. A German coach would be nice for the next cycle, but I think Berhalter keeps his job.

Good point about the lack of trust.

On to the next game, surprised to see Di Maria left off the starting lineup, especially with how France exposed the Australians vulnerability down the wings. Still I think Argentina will cruise to an easy win. Maybe Scaloni is saving him for the QF?
TandemBear
No, this ball was out by a full foot. Yes, the WHOLE ball was past the end line by a foot. Again, not a big deal on a throw-in, but this would have given Germany a corner kick. And it was the result of smart, aggressive play on the German to force a terrible back-pass to the keeper. That's why I feel it deserved review and overturning.

But thanks for getting back to me.

Still hurting from that Netherlands gut punch!

But since my daughter studied abroad and I spent a week there last May, I'm happy for the Dutch, despite their crushing of our WC dreams!!!!
Cal88
Picks for tomorrow:
France 3-1 Poland
England 2-1 Senegal in extra time
tequila4kapp
Cal88 said:

Lalas commented that it was a disappointing loss because we got beat on stuff America does know how to do. This wasn't a situation from 8 or 12 years ago where we were just developmentally behind the rest of the world. Very disappointing.

I thought it was a game where you face an opponent who is just that much better than what you are used to and it really affects you. Our midfield game and athleticism were neutralized. Our guys don't have the same skill set at entry passes and finishing. That let Netherlands put pressure on the US in ways they hadn't seen.

And also, we really have to improve our entry, crossing passes, timing of runs, etc. Todays loss makes it a little easy to forget that we only scored 3 goals in 4 games. That's just not good enough.
sluggo
tequila4kapp said:

Cal88 said:

Lalas commented that it was a disappointing loss because we got beat on stuff America does know how to do. This wasn't a situation from 8 or 12 years ago where we were just developmentally behind the rest of the world. Very disappointing.

I thought it was a game where you face an opponent who is just that much better than what you are used to and it really affects you. Our midfield game and athleticism were neutralized. Our guys don't have the same skill set at entry passes and finishing. That let Netherlands put pressure on the US in ways they hadn't seen.

And also, we really have to improve our entry, crossing passes, timing of runs, etc. Todays loss makes it a little easy to forget that we only scored 3 goals in 4 games. That's just not good enough.
These are all reasonable comments. As to Lalas' comments, it is true all the goals came on defensive breakdowns, but they were clearly the better team, and mistakes will happen under pressure.

Their coach realized the obvious US weaknesses at center back and striker. They conceded possession, crowded the midfield and forced the center backs to hit passes through lines, which resulted in turnovers. Good plan. The US could have retreated, played safe long balls, and maybe the game would have been closer. It appears to me that Berhalter has good game plans but does not adjust well on the fly.

As to making better crosses, it takes better players. The US does have two special players, Musah and Reyna, and they are both 20. Team growth will be based on the individual growth of those two players. The rest are who they are, and I don't see anyone else who will contribute soon.
sycasey
sluggo said:

sycasey said:

nikeykid said:

1. Sub-par center backs.
2. No striker.

Thinking about this . . . it does seem like the US has a lot of skilled, quick, smaller guys up front but no single elite striker to be the main target as some other clubs do. Honestly, Pulisic seems to be the best option but he seems to prefer slashing in or delivering passes from the outside (also he's small and probably wouldn't hold up against the pounding in the middle).

But the idea that they "must" have a striker seems a bit like thinking the Golden State Warriors "need" a low-post scorer. Sure, it would be nice to have one but there are other ways to win. Maybe spreading out with a bunch of good skill guys and letting them create in space is the way to go. They just need to get good at playing together and having good timing on their passes.
Cal88
Evolution of group E standings minute by minute on gameday 3:

GMP
Cal88 said:

Evolution of group E standings minute by minute on gameday 3:

I prefer this animation:

GMP
sycasey said:

sluggo said:

sycasey said:

nikeykid said:

1. Sub-par center backs.
2. No striker.

Thinking about this . . . it does seem like the US has a lot of skilled, quick, smaller guys up front but no single elite striker to be the main target as some other clubs do. Honestly, Pulisic seems to be the best option but he seems to prefer slashing in or delivering passes from the outside (also he's small and probably wouldn't hold up against the pounding in the middle).

But the idea that they "must" have a striker seems a bit like thinking the Golden State Warriors "need" a low-post scorer. Sure, it would be nice to have one but there are other ways to win. Maybe spreading out with a bunch of good skill guys and letting them create in space is the way to go. They just need to get good at playing together and having good timing on their passes.

Watching the game live, I thought the U.S. dominated for long stretches. I thought our midfield did very good. But you could see the difference in both defending and finishing. They were calm in their finishing and defending, whereas we were a bit erratic in and around the box and had two horrible blunders defending. I have been surprised to read so much analysis suggesting Netherlands kicked our a-s.

Earlier I came across the expected goal numbers, which IMO confirm my real-time thoughts:

Results are of course all that matters but this suggests we created slightly better chances and really could have won. This is frustrating, but like you I am really excited for 2026.
KoreAmBear
Hasta la vista Spain.
GMP
KoreAmBear said:

Hasta la vista Spain.

I knew Spain was beatable.
Cal88
Morocco got a huge boost from playing in front of their crowd, and it showed. Also, like many of the top African sides, most of their players start in Europe, mostly in France, Spain, Belgium and England, and the level of organization in their teamwork reflects that.
sluggo
Cal88 said:

Morocco got a huge boost from playing in front of their crowd, and it showed. Also, like many of the top African sides, most of their players start in Europe, mostly in France, Spain, Belgium and England, and the level of organization in their teamwork reflects that.
Playing 11 behind the ball and hoping to win on penalties makes me want to give up on the sport. I was looking forward to Spain being run off the field by France. Disappointing.
tequila4kapp
What a goal by Portugal!
Cal88
Which one?

I've got Croatia-Argentina and France-Portugal in my last four.

Epic choke by Spain on the penalties earlier today...
Cal88
sluggo said:

Cal88 said:

Playing 11 behind the ball and hoping to win on penalties makes me want to give up on the sport. I was looking forward to Spain being run off the field by France. Disappointing.

Can't blame Morocco for having a defensive posture, it's a good strategy for them going into the Spanish game. Portugal has better finishers and a less fragile psyche than Spain, Morocco is going to have a hard time keeping a blank sheet for 120min against them.

Holland-Argentina is almost a tossup, could go into overtime, where Argentina's talent up front could beat a tired defense. 2-1 ARG in extra time.

Croatia is going to upset Brazil, they're the kind of team that will give Brazil a lot of trouble, with great organization and teamwork, excellent technical skills and strong morale, they will go into this game expecting to advance. 2-1 Croatia.

France is going to have no problem vs England, 3-1 or 4-1.

sluggo
Cal88 said:

sluggo said:

Cal88 said:

Can't blame Morocco for having a defensive posture, it's a good strategy for them going into the Spanish game. Portugal has better finishers and a less fragile psyche than Spain, Morocco is going to have a hard time keeping a blank sheet for 120min against them.

Holland-Argentina is almost a tossup, could go into overtime, where Argentina's talent up front could beat a tired defense. 2-1 ARG in extra time.

Croatia is going to upset Brazil, they're the kind of team that will give Brazil a lot of trouble, with great organization and teamwork, excellent technical skills and strong morale, they will go into this game expecting to advance. 2-1 Croatia.

Soccer needs something like illegal defense. Don't know how it would work, but Morocco's team is mediocre and they don't belong in the quarters. Portugal made a statement today. I hope they score early, bring Morocco out of their shell, and pound them 5-0. A pissed off Ronaldo as a super sub makes them a threat to win the whole thing.

England vs France 3-2, probably France wins, but I believe in England's depth and Harry Kane. England has two excellent outside backs to deal with the French wingers, and they can score off set pieces. This will be the game of the tournament.

Holland-Argentina is the game between two teams that had a lucky path. One has to win. I bet on Holland's 6'8'' keeper.

Brazil runs Croatia off the field. Croatia barely hung on against Japan, and now they face the best team in the tournament. 4-1 Brazil.
Cal88
sluggo said:

Cal88 said:

sluggo said:

Cal88 said:

Soccer needs something like illegal defense. Don't know how it would work, but Morocco's team is mediocre and they don't belong in the quarters. Portugal made a statement today. I hope they score early, bring Morocco out of their shell, and pound them 5-0. A pissed off Ronaldo as a super sub makes them a threat to win the whole thing.

England vs France 3-2, probably France wins, but I believe in England's depth and Harry Kane. England has two excellent outside backs to deal with the French wingers, and they can score off set pieces. This will be the game of the tournament.

Holland-Argentina is the game between two teams that had a lucky path. One has to win. I bet on Holland's 6'8'' keeper.

Brazil runs Croatia off the field. Croatia barely hung on against Japan, and now they face the best team in the tournament. 4-1 Brazil.

Italy in 2006 was the last ultra-defensive team to win a major tournament, and just before that, Greece in Euro '04. Italy in 2020 wasn't nearly as defensive as Cannavaro's Azzurris, who featured one of the greatest defensive line of all time. Since the rule changes banning the GK handling of backpasses and a tighter enforcement of dangerous tackling, the game has been open. There is no need to tinker with the rules.

You look at games from the 80s or 90s where defenders hacked star forwards with tackles that would get you straight reds today but went uncalled back then, and when you couldn't pressure defenses because of the backpass, and it's day and night. You can't go too far today by parking the bus, and if you do, well good on you, because that parking job isn't all that easy in today's game.

Does Kane even start on France's 11 today? I'm not sure he's better than Giroud. I'm probably too hard on England because this is a big rivalry game for me, but England today doesn't inspire the kind of awe its older teams led by guys like Keegan, Shearer or Owen did. They tend to be overrated today due to the overexposure of the EPL since the 00s.

I'm going a bit on a limb with Croatia, but I would be very surprised if at the very least the game is not tight. Brazil's stars will not have the kind of room and freedom they've enjoyed in their games so far. From a neutral's perspective, this might be the best QF game and it looks like I will have to miss it due to work, total bummer!
TandemBear
sluggo said:

Cal88 said:

sluggo said:

Cal88 said:

"Don't belong in the quarters?" How on earth can you possibly say this? The game was played fair and square and won fair and square. It's not like Morocco had a player like the deplorable Suarez who committed a flagrant hand ball in the goal to force a penalty kick that was missed. It would be one thing if Morocco played dirty, injured some Spanish players and got by with hack playing. They didn't do that. Morocco EARNED their berth into the quarterfinals and deserve all the kudos for a job well done.

Teams that dominate are regularly beaten by teams that play the game "worse" than their opponent. If anything, Spain failed to capitalize on Morocco's shortcomings. THAT is on Spain. Perhaps they're relying on their "laudable reputation" more than they should! No one gets in because of their history - wins must be earned and achieved. Dominating possession doesn't win games. More shots on goal doesn't win games. Having a super star doesn't win games. The final score wins games.

Morocco's goalkeeper is a national hero. Was he lucky? Sure was. But still, he stopped those balls. Spain 0 for 3 in penalty shots? OMG, I never!

If anything, hand balls in the goal that stop a sure goal should be penalized with TWO goals against the offending team and a red card to the offending player. THAT would remove ANY and ALL reason to commit a flagrant hand ball to cheat to win. You should eliminate any incentive whatsoever to cheat like the disgusting Suarez. He's a cancer on all sport.

And the flopping? I feel strongly that soccer really needs to address this. VAR should be used to toss players who are flagrant floppers. It's so disgusting. These guys are top athletes and endure a lot of pain. But the flopping makes me sick. Let's address THESE issues, not some crazy idea that sitting back on defense and defending is somehow wrong. It isn't.

I played soccer for eight years and never flopped. Never saw it on the field when I played. It's shameful how it continues unabated.

Also, Morocco had some counter attacks, one of which SHOULD have resulted in at least a shot on goal. That could have won the game for them late in the second extra period.

Edit: I'm here to say how happy I am for Morocco. Wow, they fought hard and pulled it out. Wow. They handled the pressure of the game, then the extra time, and then, most importantly, the penalty shoot-out. I can't even imagine the stress. THAT is what makes World Cup Soccer so exciting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.