Story Poster
Cal Football

Cal Makes Changes To Coaching Staff

November 13, 2022

BERKELEY – Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox announced Sunday that offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and offensive line coach Angus McClure have been relieved of their duties, effective immediately. Both were in their third season on the Golden Bears' coaching staff.

"I felt these changes to our coaching staff were needed and made them with the best interest of our football program in mind," Wilcox said. "We thank Bill and Angus for their contributions and the investments they made in Cal football, and we wish them all of the best in their future endeavors."

The duties Musgrave and McClure were previously responsible for will be handled by current members of the coaching staff for the remainder of the 2022 season.

Discussion from...

Cal Makes Changes To Coaching Staff

22,009 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TheBird
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Like I said before, Wilcox eventually gets it and makes the right decision.
The problem is it takes him wayyy too long.
Why couldn't this have happened a month ago after Cal lost to Colorado, WHEN THE SEASON COULD STILL BE SAVED!!!

Interesting that he waited until the very moment when the bowl possibility is mathematically impossible to do this.

Mr. Wilcox, as much as I respect you, you do not need to bang your head against the wall so long before realizing that it hurts. That is dim witted..
Cal_79
BulaBear3cubs said:

What I don't understand is why now that you decide to fire these coaches? Bc we are not Bowl eligible? Do it earlier and maybe things change enough for the positive that we possibly make a bowl. Bizarre

Shutting the barn doors after the horses are gone?
mirabelle
Cal_79 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

What I don't understand is why now that you decide to fire these coaches? Bc we are not Bowl eligible? Do it earlier and maybe things change enough for the positive that we possibly make a bowl. Bizarre

Shutting the barn doors after the horses are gone?
Possibly they were on notice: if we don't make a bowl game, you're gone. We didn't and they are.
calumnus
Cal Offense and Defense Rankings (YPP) under Wilcox:

2017 #101 O #80 D
2018 #120 O #6 D
2019 #110 O #50 D
2020 #125 O #68 D
2021 #67 O #50 D
2022 #89 O #100 D

As bad as the offense has been, the defense has been just as bad. Wilcox had one elite elite defense in 2018 with DeRuyter, and the rest have been mediocre to bad.

This year at #100 is virtually identical to Sonny's much maligned 2015 defense at #101, but our offense was #6.

Our offense the last two years is better than under Baldwin, but still bad.
udaman1
Paws mind works a mile a minute. He is incredibly observant at identifying gaps in the defense. I think he should get a shot. Isn't he coaching a little at Cal High in San Ramon? My niece is a student there and my sister says that Paws is out there sometimes.
GivemTheAxe
calumnus said:

Gobears49 said:

Alkiadt said:

southseasbear said:

So let me get this straight: We have no designated Offensive Coordinator, Special Teams Coordinator, or Offensive Line coach, right?

Greatwood and Chryst will handle O Line and OC.

I have suggested for weeks that AT (Aristotle Thompson), our RB coach, would best know the full offense. Chyst would know the OL blocking, maybe, with an assist from Saffell if he i allowed to coach. Greatwood, who I think would be promoted to a full coach, could call the plays from the press box, but does he know our play lingo yet. I don't know. I'm just guessing what makes sense to me. I have zero experience on this subject..

It certainly ups my interest in the rest of the season.

I've said this before, but Pawlawski knows this team intimately and knows offense. It would be fun to give him a shot these next two weeks.

That is the best recommendation I have heard yet.
But I honestly believe that half the posters on BI could do no worse a job calling plays than Musgrave has been doing
Cal Strong!
Chryst should no been hired. Cal Strong don't want him anywhere near the football program, much less the OC role.
calumnus
Cal Strong! said:

Chryst should no been hired. Cal Strong don't want him anywhere near the football program, much less the OC role.

Please elaborate. Are you a Niner fan?
Cal Strong!
calumnus said:

Cal Strong! said:

Please elaborate. Are you a Niner fan?
Cal Strong love Cal. But Cal Strong not a fan of weaklings or internet perverts.

Geep send his oldest son to stanfurd. That mean he immoral person who no can be trusted around young men.
heartofthebear
GivemTheAxe said:

calumnus said:

Gobears49 said:

Alkiadt said:

southseasbear said:

So let me get this straight: We have no designated Offensive Coordinator, Special Teams Coordinator, or Offensive Line coach, right?

Greatwood and Chryst will handle O Line and OC.

I have suggested for weeks that AT (Aristotle Thompson), our RB coach, would best know the full offense. Chyst would know the OL blocking, maybe, with an assist from Saffell if he i allowed to coach. Greatwood, who I think would be promoted to a full coach, could call the plays from the press box, but does he know our play lingo yet. I don't know. I'm just guessing what makes sense to me. I have zero experience on this subject..

It certainly ups my interest in the rest of the season.

I've said this before, but Pawlawski knows this team intimately and knows offense. It would be fun to give him a shot these next two weeks.

That is the best recommendation I have heard yet.
But I honestly believe that half the posters on BI could do no worse a job calling plays than Musgrave has been doing
Are any of us capable of calling the blocking assignments on each play? Play calling is more complicated than it looks. If the OL isn't blocking correctly on a play, the play blows up. It is true that it happened a bunch but it would happen all of the time if any of us called plays.
hbear777
One task is re-recruit the skill position guys , Ott obviously the one irreplacable

PAW'S consistent closeness w/ the team may keep guys
killa22
BulaBear3cubs said:

Rolovich has been helping for awhile, I brought his name up way before it was mentioned on the pay side. Look it up Mods.. And I was right. Made too much sense, he's been back in Novato, easy commute, pac-12 experience, set up WSU pretty good.. Only reason it hasn't been mentioned is probably bc of his Covid stance.

This truly intrigues me. I'd be down to see this redemption arc. Rolo is a great coach.
calumnus
killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Rolovich has been helping for awhile, I brought his name up way before it was mentioned on the pay side. Look it up Mods.. And I was right. Made too much sense, he's been back in Novato, easy commute, pac-12 experience, set up WSU pretty good.. Only reason it hasn't been mentioned is probably bc of his Covid stance.

This truly intrigues me. I'd be down to see this redemption arc. Rolo is a great coach.

A great offensive mind. I just don't see how he will be able to recruit African American student athletes to Cal after his actions:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/washington-states-nick-rolovich-caught-on-tape-punishing-player-for-unity-plans/amp/

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-health-coronavirus-pandemic-race-and-ethnicity-209b332dce6a3358148faa16141ffb7a

Kicked the guy off the team, because he had an issue with "this racial Justice stuff"? This was national news. It would be too easy to recruit against him. If he was a bad fit for Eastern Washington, discriminating against a kid from Texas, how does he work in Berkeley? I want smart play calling, but that is just half of the equation, we need players too, and that is just being practical and ignoring how wrong what he did was. There has to be better candidates.
Cal Strong!
Hiring Chryst was proof Justin Wilcox not fit to coach at Cal.
calumnus
Geep Chryst fired as Niner OC
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2583358-geep-chryst-reportedly-fired-by-49ers-latest-details-comments-and-reaction
calumnus
Cal Strong! said:

Hiring Chryst was proof Justin Wilcox not fit to coach at Cal.

Pretty sure the next OC will want to bring in his own guys. Maybe you keep Thompson and Toler if that will help retain the RBs and WRs. Toler is also a Bear from a great Cal family and good recruiter for Cal.
killa22
calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

A great offensive mind. I just don't see how he will be able to recruit African American student athletes to Cal after his actions:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/washington-states-nick-rolovich-caught-on-tape-punishing-player-for-unity-plans/amp/

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-health-coronavirus-pandemic-race-and-ethnicity-209b332dce6a3358148faa16141ffb7a

Kicked the guy off the team, because he had an issue with "this racial Justice stuff"? This was national news. It would be too easy to recruit against him. If he was a bad fit for Eastern Washington, discriminating against a kid from Texas, how does he work in Berkeley? I want smart play calling, but that is just half of the equation, we need players too, and that is just being practical and ignoring how wrong what he did was. There has to be better candidates.

The baggage is certainly damning, that's for sure. Don't know how you get past that part of it.
Rushinbear
BulaBear3cubs said:

Sacrificial lambs. Bleed off some of the fire JW pressure. "See? I'm doing things! I can be decisive, bold."
DiabloWags
BulaBear3cubs said:

Yup.
He's been a volunteer assistant coach over at San Marin High in Novato.
He filed a 32-page complaint (lawsuit) against WSU, Gov. Jay Inslee, and WSU AD Pat Chun on Friday.
He's seeking damages for the loss of past and future income, as well as punitive damages.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
tequila4kapp
There is currently a vaccine mandate on campus. Unless Rolo does a 180* on his willingness to vaccinate (which would likely kill his existing lawsuit) this is likely a non-starter.
oski003
tequila4kapp said:

There is currently a vaccine mandate on campus. Unless Rolo does a 180* on his willingness to vaccinate (which would likely kill his existing lawsuit) this is likely a non-starter.

A late$t boo$ter mandate is in$ane. Good new$ for Pfizer though.
Bobodeluxe
Science is fake. Tear down the sciencey buildings.
southseasbear
Bobodeluxe said:

Science is fake. Tear down the sciencey buildings.
That would give us space for a football practice facility!
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
oskidunker
[url=https://ibb.co/fvmsf9c][/url]
Go Bears!
Bisonbob
I never felt Bill M knew how College football is played. He kept running plays up the middle from formations where the backs where set so far back with a weak OL that what little hole there might have been was closed. I never felt he should have come back this year. Regardless of scheme Cal has never had enough studs on either side of the line thus when a good one like Johnson goes down there is a big void. Better consistent recruiting will solve a lot of issues.

Maybe Wilcox should have taken that Oregon job in retrospect!
tequila4kapp
Any timetable for announcing replacements?

Time is of the essence with the new Portal window, both for potential incoming and outgoing players so the the normal "wait until the off season" mantra doesn't work.

Are the replacements identified but not announced publicly?

Why the secrecy over who is taking on the OC/OL roles for the rest of the season?
DiabloWags
Give him a day or two.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
HearstMining
I wonder what the impact of Musgrave's departure will have on Plummer's decision to return next year.
6956bear
HearstMining said:

I wonder what the impact of Musgrave's departure will have on Plummer's decision to return next year.
I think that depends greatly on who Wilcox chooses as his next OC.
Rushinbear
DiabloWags said:

Give him a day or two.

You're right, DW. You don't do this midseason unless and until you have everything in place to go on.
59bear
BulaBear3cubs said:

Yeah, words like "deck chairs" and "Titanic" spring to mind.
BearGoggles
calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I read the article and it appears to say the exact opposite, though its not 100% clear:

"If you say, 'I'm opting out 'cause of COVID and health and safety,' I'm good," Rolovich said, per the transcript. "But this group is going to change, uh, I guess, how things go in the future for everybody, at least at our school. Um, so just think about that is, if it's about getting paid and not (inaudible) about racial justice and that stuff. Then it's probably, it's there's two sides, there's two sides here. I'm good with the Sickle Cell and the COVID, but this, this group is going to be at a different level as far as how we're kind of going to move forward in the future."

He was referring to the player group that made a bunch of demands, some of which related to Covid/health safety, some of which related to racial justice, and some of which related to getting paid/benefits.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29592558/washington-state-ad-says-kassidy-woods-removal-team-activities-not-linked-pac-12-unity-group

I understood Rolo's comments to be directed at the compensation aspects ("getting paid") which could be pretty disastrous to a school like WSU (and Cal for that matter).

And the player in question wanted to opt out but felt he should be entitled to remain in the locker room and participate in some team activities - which makes little sense if your opting out due to COVID . I can see why a coach would not want that distraction. And per the ESPN link above, the WSU AD (the guy who fired Rolovich) explained all of that.

Not saying Rolo is a fit at Cal, but I think he deserves to be presented fairly.
oskidunker
BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I read the article and it appears to say the exact opposite, though its not 100% clear:

"If you say, 'I'm opting out 'cause of COVID and health and safety,' I'm good," Rolovich said, per the transcript. "But this group is going to change, uh, I guess, how things go in the future for everybody, at least at our school. Um, so just think about that is, if it's about getting paid and not (inaudible) about racial justice and that stuff. Then it's probably, it's there's two sides, there's two sides here. I'm good with the Sickle Cell and the COVID, but this, this group is going to be at a different level as far as how we're kind of going to move forward in the future."

He was referring to the player group that made a bunch of demands, some of which related to Covid/health safety, some of which related to racial justice, and some of which related to getting paid/benefits.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29592558/washington-state-ad-says-kassidy-woods-removal-team-activities-not-linked-pac-12-unity-group

I understood Rolo's comments to be directed at the compensation aspects ("getting paid") which could be pretty disastrous to a school like WSU (and Cal for that matter).

And the player in question wanted to opt out but felt he should be entitled to remain in the locker room and participate in some team activities - which makes little sense if your opting out due to COVID . I can see why a coach would not want that distraction. And per the ESPN link above, the WSU AD (the guy who fired Rolovich) explained all of that.

Not saying Rolo is a fit at Cal, but I think he deserves to be presented fairly.
I dont want Rolovich at Cal. Denying that the vaccine works and embracing conspiracy theories does not qualify him here period. I would rather lose every game and willstop donating if he comes here.
Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I dont want Rolovich at Cal. Denying that the vaccine works and embracing conspiracy theories does not qualify him here period. I would rather lose every game and willstop donating if he comes here.
You need to re-examine your priorities.
BearGoggles
oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

And that, in a nutshell, explains why Cal can't field a winning football or men's basketball team. Rolovich is hardly the only person who has/had vaccine hesitancy or religious exemptions. I suspect there are lots of views among Cal athletes/coaches (or for that matter other faculty and students) that are not mainstream and border on conspiracy theories. I guess we kick them out of Cal?

I didn't realize the school that used to be a bastion of free speech (and was the birthplace of the free speech movement) had adopted a litmus test. And in that regard, the current Cal COVID policy (requiring that students take ALL eligible boosters) is out of step with many other authorities/universities, not to mention much of Europe.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/ecdc-and-ema-update-recommendations-additional-booster-doses-covid-19-vaccines

Perhaps you should re-evaluate who is being anti-science (and intolerant) here?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.