Story Poster
Cal Football

Cal Makes Changes To Coaching Staff

November 13, 2022

BERKELEY – Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox announced Sunday that offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and offensive line coach Angus McClure have been relieved of their duties, effective immediately. Both were in their third season on the Golden Bears' coaching staff.

"I felt these changes to our coaching staff were needed and made them with the best interest of our football program in mind," Wilcox said. "We thank Bill and Angus for their contributions and the investments they made in Cal football, and we wish them all of the best in their future endeavors."

The duties Musgrave and McClure were previously responsible for will be handled by current members of the coaching staff for the remainder of the 2022 season.

Discussion from...

Cal Makes Changes To Coaching Staff

21,860 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TheBird
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

So Chryst is officially the play caller? With maybe an "advisor" in the press box?

His dad?

You mean his brother, Paul? No.

Greatwood has been the only consultant. I'd assume he's the acting OLine coach for the next two games.

Lol I thought that was dad.

In any case I want us to make an all in run at Troy Taylor for OC. Being that it's Cal I think he'd do it.

I want a thorough search in the off season, with Taylor at least consulted and considered as almost a Co-HC.

However, he has an undefeated team on his is hands.

As long as we have an interim position I'd like to see what Paws could do. He knows the team and the playbook intimately. Chryst is safe, another failed NFL OC, but Paws would be a a high upside chance. If we beat Stanford and then UCLA, maybe he wins the job? He would be a great recruiter for Cal, that is for sure.
Interim maybe. But Wilcox has to hit a home run now. He can't afford to fail so miserably as this is his last chance at OC before we are in buyout territory. And Paws would be too much of a risk.

I am only talking about Paws as interim, for two games, then back to the booth.

Unless he absolutely kills it.

The search in the off-season needs to be thorough.
He has no time to learn or show in 2 games to kill it. Unfortunately it's not a great setup for Paws. This reminds me of the only time I saw something like this happen. Pat Riley was the commentator for Chick Hearn when Paul Westhead was fired by Magic midseason lol. Then Pat Riley suddenly became head coach. How did that happen?
Riley was the assistant coach and was close Jerry West at the time Westhead was fired. Even before his move from the broadcast booth, Riley was involved in advising the team - even before McKinney went down with the bicycle accident.
wifeisafurd
oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Rolovich has been helping for awhile, I brought his name up way before it was mentioned on the pay side. Look it up Mods.. And I was right. Made too much sense, he's been back in Novato, easy commute, pac-12 experience, set up WSU pretty good.. Only reason it hasn't been mentioned is probably bc of his Covid stance.

This truly intrigues me. I'd be down to see this redemption arc. Rolo is a great coach.

A great offensive mind. I just don't see how he will be able to recruit African American student athletes to Cal after his actions:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/washington-states-nick-rolovich-caught-on-tape-punishing-player-for-unity-plans/amp/

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-health-coronavirus-pandemic-race-and-ethnicity-209b332dce6a3358148faa16141ffb7a

Kicked the guy off the team, because he had an issue with "this racial Justice stuff"? This was national news. It would be too easy to recruit against him. If he was a bad fit for Eastern Washington, discriminating against a kid from Texas, how does he work in Berkeley? I want smart play calling, but that is just half of the equation, we need players too, and that is just being practical and ignoring how wrong what he did was. There has to be better candidates.

I read the article and it appears to say the exact opposite, though its not 100% clear:

"If you say, 'I'm opting out 'cause of COVID and health and safety,' I'm good," Rolovich said, per the transcript. "But this group is going to change, uh, I guess, how things go in the future for everybody, at least at our school. Um, so just think about that is, if it's about getting paid and not (inaudible) about racial justice and that stuff. Then it's probably, it's there's two sides, there's two sides here. I'm good with the Sickle Cell and the COVID, but this, this group is going to be at a different level as far as how we're kind of going to move forward in the future."

https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/washington-states-nick-rolovich-caught-on-tape-punishing-player-for-unity-plans/amp/

He was referring to the player group that made a bunch of demands, some of which related to Covid/health safety, some of which related to racial justice, and some of which related to getting paid/benefits.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29592558/washington-state-ad-says-kassidy-woods-removal-team-activities-not-linked-pac-12-unity-group

I understood Rolo's comments to be directed at the compensation aspects ("getting paid") which could be pretty disastrous to a school like WSU (and Cal for that matter).

And the player in question wanted to opt out but felt he should be entitled to remain in the locker room and participate in some team activities - which makes little sense if your opting out due to COVID . I can see why a coach would not want that distraction. And per the ESPN link above, the WSU AD (the guy who fired Rolovich) explained all of that.

Not saying Rolo is a fit at Cal, but I think he deserves to be presented fairly.
I dont want Rolovich at Cal. Denying that the vaccine works and embracing conspiracy theories does not qualify him here period. I would rather lose every game and willstop donating if he comes here.
The Cal football team is not 100% vaccinated because certain people assert exemptions. Something about glass houses and throwing stones here when it comes to Rolo? .

If have to believe that if Wilcox wants Rolo, there would have to be an understanding that Rolo has to keep his opinions to himself.
bipolarbear
calumnus said:

Gobears49 said:

Alkiadt said:

southseasbear said:

So let me get this straight: We have no designated Offensive Coordinator, Special Teams Coordinator, or Offensive Line coach, right?

Greatwood and Chryst will handle O Line and OC.

I have suggested for weeks that AT (Aristotle Thompson), our RB coach, would best know the full offense. Chyst would know the OL blocking, maybe, with an assist from Saffell if he i allowed to coach. Greatwood, who I think would be promoted to a full coach, could call the plays from the press box, but does he know our play lingo yet. I don't know. I'm just guessing what makes sense to me. I have zero experience on this subject..

It certainly ups my interest in the rest of the season.

I've said this before, but Pawlawski knows this team intimately and knows offense. It would be fun to give him a shot these next two weeks.
Pawlawski, yes!
concernedparent
wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Rolovich has been helping for awhile, I brought his name up way before it was mentioned on the pay side. Look it up Mods.. And I was right. Made too much sense, he's been back in Novato, easy commute, pac-12 experience, set up WSU pretty good.. Only reason it hasn't been mentioned is probably bc of his Covid stance.

This truly intrigues me. I'd be down to see this redemption arc. Rolo is a great coach.

A great offensive mind. I just don't see how he will be able to recruit African American student athletes to Cal after his actions:

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-health-coronavirus-pandemic-race-and-ethnicity-209b332dce6a3358148faa16141ffb7a

Kicked the guy off the team, because he had an issue with "this racial Justice stuff"? This was national news. It would be too easy to recruit against him. If he was a bad fit for Eastern Washington, discriminating against a kid from Texas, how does he work in Berkeley? I want smart play calling, but that is just half of the equation, we need players too, and that is just being practical and ignoring how wrong what he did was. There has to be better candidates.

I read the article and it appears to say the exact opposite, though its not 100% clear:

"If you say, 'I'm opting out 'cause of COVID and health and safety,' I'm good," Rolovich said, per the transcript. "But this group is going to change, uh, I guess, how things go in the future for everybody, at least at our school. Um, so just think about that is, if it's about getting paid and not (inaudible) about racial justice and that stuff. Then it's probably, it's there's two sides, there's two sides here. I'm good with the Sickle Cell and the COVID, but this, this group is going to be at a different level as far as how we're kind of going to move forward in the future."

He was referring to the player group that made a bunch of demands, some of which related to Covid/health safety, some of which related to racial justice, and some of which related to getting paid/benefits.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29592558/washington-state-ad-says-kassidy-woods-removal-team-activities-not-linked-pac-12-unity-group

I understood Rolo's comments to be directed at the compensation aspects ("getting paid") which could be pretty disastrous to a school like WSU (and Cal for that matter).

And the player in question wanted to opt out but felt he should be entitled to remain in the locker room and participate in some team activities - which makes little sense if your opting out due to COVID . I can see why a coach would not want that distraction. And per the ESPN link above, the WSU AD (the guy who fired Rolovich) explained all of that.

Not saying Rolo is a fit at Cal, but I think he deserves to be presented fairly.
I dont want Rolovich at Cal. Denying that the vaccine works and embracing conspiracy theories does not qualify him here period. I would rather lose every game and willstop donating if he comes here.
The Cal football team is not 100% vaccinated because certain people assert exemptions. Something about glass houses and throwing stones here when it comes to Rolo? .

If have to believe that if Wilcox wants Rolo, there would have to be an understanding that Rolo has to keep his opinions to himself.
Are those people University figureheads and are they known to have cited conspiracy theories and made up religious convictions?
89Bear
wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I'm so tired of losing. I'll take Rolo in a second if Wilcox can live with him AND Rolo can coach and recruit!!
remb8888
Too little too late
GMP
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

So Chryst is officially the play caller? With maybe an "advisor" in the press box?

His dad?

Greatwood has been the only consultant. I'd assume he's the acting OLine coach for the next two games.

In any case I want us to make an all in run at Troy Taylor for OC. Being that it's Cal I think he'd do it.

I want a thorough search in the off season, with Taylor at least consulted and considered as almost a Co-HC.

As long as we have an interim position I'd like to see what Paws could do. He knows the team and the playbook intimately. Chryst is safe, another failed NFL OC, but Paws would be a a high upside chance. If we beat Stanford and then UCLA, maybe he wins the job? He would be a great recruiter for Cal, that is for sure.
Interim maybe. But Wilcox has to hit a home run now. He can't afford to fail so miserably as this is his last chance at OC before we are in buyout territory. And Paws would be too much of a risk.

He has no time to learn or show in 2 games to kill it. Unfortunately it's not a great setup for Paws. This reminds me of the only time I saw something like this happen. Pat Riley was the commentator for Chick Hearn when Paul Westhead was fired by Magic midseason lol. Then Pat Riley suddenly became head coach. How did that happen?

This is not quite correct. I watched the HBO show about that Lakers team and the story sounded so wild I had to look it up.

The head coach to start Magic's rookie year was Jack McKinney. Westhead was his assistant. Early in the season, McKinney was in a bicycle accident and he missed the rest of the year. Westhead was promoted to interim and asked Riley, who was then the commentator for Hearns, to be his assistant. Westhead was later named permanent head coach.

Westhead and Riley coached the team to the NBA Championship that year, 1980. Riley continued to serve as Westhead's assistant until early in the 81-82 season, when Westhead was fired. Buss tried to hire Jerry West as head coach, but he refused. Riley was then named head coach.
KoreAmBear
GMP said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

This is not quite correct. I watched the HBO show about that Lakers team and the story sounded so wild I had to look it up.

The head coach to start Magic's rookie year was Jack McKinney. Westhead was his assistant. Early in the season, McKinney was in a bicycle accident and he missed the rest of the year. Westhead was promoted to interim and asked Riley, who was then the commentator for Hearns, to be his assistant. Westhead was later named permanent head coach.

Westhead and Riley coached the team to the NBA Championship that year, 1980. Riley continued to serve as Westhead's assistant until early in the 81-82 season, when Westhead was fired. Buss tried to hire Jerry West as head coach, but he refused. Riley was then named head coach.
Hey man I was 11 when this was happening so I'm sure I did zero fact checking.
calumnus
BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

And that, in a nutshell, explains why Cal can't field a winning football or men's basketball team. Rolovich is hardly the only person who has/had vaccine hesitancy or religious exemptions. I suspect there are lots of views among Cal athletes/coaches (or for that matter other faculty and students) that are not mainstream and border on conspiracy theories. I guess we kick them out of Cal?

I didn't realize the school that used to be a bastion of free speech (and was the birthplace of the free speech movement) had adopted a litmus test. And in that regard, the current Cal COVID policy (requiring that students take ALL eligible boosters) is out of step with many other authorities/universities, not to mention much of Europe.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/ecdc-and-ema-update-recommendations-additional-booster-doses-covid-19-vaccines

Perhaps you should re-evaluate who is being anti-science (and intolerant) here?

Why do you think Rolovich dismissed the players from the team? Rolovich on tape said he had no issue with staying out for health reasons. He had an issue with the "racial Justice stuff." Chun was/is trying to protect WSU from the damage.

Rolovich is being sued by a player for racial discrimination and for violating his 1st admenment rights while suing WSU for violating HIS rights. Cal is being investigated and will likely be sued by swimmers for racial discrimination in the McKeever case. We don't need to take on his baggage, we have enoug of our own.

You are afraid Cal is "woke"? Lead by a lifelong registered Republican hockey player retired Army officer? At a school where, soon after Knowlton and then Fox was hired, every single top athletics administration position and every single head coach job, even every coordinator job on the football team was held by white people? Something like the 40 or 50 top jobs in athletics at Cal. 100% Despite the student body being 80% non-white and being the taxpayer supported flagship of a state that is majority non-white? I do not think a "woke" administration would continue to hire employees from the Midwest and ignore Cal's own well qualified athletics graduates who have to go elsewhere to get jobs in athletics administration. It became a public embarrassment when Knowlton put out a photo of himself and his top assistants with all the coaches. That is one of the reasons Knowlton was pressured to hire Charmin Smith. And I defy you to argue Knowlton or Fox or his other hires were the most qualified candidates. I would argue that is MORE the reason Cal sucks in the revenue sports. We have unqualified administrators and coaches. We hire from narrow pools and not our strengths, especially our own graduates. Cal needs to wake up.

I understand Rolovich is a cause for the right-wing. This is not just about vaccinations. That is not the subject of the lawsuit, though the right wants to focus on that. If he doesn't fly in the Palouse how does he fly in Berkeley?

It is not Cal's job to exonerate him or clear his record. You may think he is innocent. I do not care about your opinion, I care about the opinion of players and recruits. We need to hire the best OC for Cal. He is a brilliant offensive mind. We need that. However I think he is going to have a lot of trouble recruiting African American players, especially smart, well-informed players, ie Cal players, no matter what Bear Goggles thinks is "fair."

If we hire him it will be a big story that will be very negative for Cal football. If he is helping our offense now, why else would they keep it top secret? They KNOW it would be bad if it is public. So go ahead and do it anyway?

We need to improve our play calling AND retain our best skill players and recruit more. We need an OC that can do both.
socaltownie
BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

And that, in a nutshell, explains why Cal can't field a winning football or men's basketball team. Rolovich is hardly the only person who has/had vaccine hesitancy or religious exemptions. I suspect there are lots of views among Cal athletes/coaches (or for that matter other faculty and students) that are not mainstream and border on conspiracy theories. I guess we kick them out of Cal?

I didn't realize the school that used to be a bastion of free speech (and was the birthplace of the free speech movement) had adopted a litmus test. And in that regard, the current Cal COVID policy (requiring that students take ALL eligible boosters) is out of step with many other authorities/universities, not to mention much of Europe.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/ecdc-and-ema-update-recommendations-additional-booster-doses-covid-19-vaccines

While some of this is possibly true really only for remarakbable candidates should the school draw that much of a target on the football program.
Take care of your Chicken
socaltownie
calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Why do you think Rolovich dismissed the players from the team? Rolovich on tape said he had no issue with staying out for health reasons. He had an issue with the "racial Justice stuff." Chun was/is trying to protect WSU from the damage.

Rolovich is being sued by a player for racial discrimination and for violating his 1st admenment rights while suing WSU for violating HIS rights. Cal is being investigated and will likely be sued by swimmers for racial discrimination in the McKeever case. We don't need to take on his baggage, we have enoug of our own.

You are afraid Cal is "woke"? Lead by a lifelong registered Republican hockey player retired Army officer? At a school where, soon after Knowlton and then Fox was hired, every single top athletics administration position and every single head coach job, even every coordinator job on the football team was held by white people? Something like the 40 or 50 top jobs in athletics at Cal. 100% Despite the student body being 80% non-white and being the taxpayer supported flagship of a state that is majority non-white? I do not think a "woke" administration would continue to hire employees from the Midwest and ignore Cal's own well qualified athletics graduates who have to go elsewhere to get jobs in athletics administration. It became a public embarrassment when Knowlton put out a photo of himself and his top assistants with all the coaches. That is one of the reasons Knowlton was pressured to hire Charmin Smith. And I defy you to argue Knowlton or Fox or his other hires were the most qualified candidates. I would argue that is MORE the reason Cal sucks in the revenue sports. We have unqualified administrators and coaches. We hire from narrow pools and not our strengths, especially our own graduates. Cal needs to wake up.

I understand Rolovich is a cause for the right-wing. This is not just about vaccinations. That is not the subject of the lawsuit, though the right wants to focus on that. If he doesn't fly in the Palouse how does he fly in Berkeley?

It is not Cal's job to exonerate him or clear his record. You may think he is innocent. I do not care about your opinion, I care about the opinion of players and recruits. We need to hire the best OC for Cal. He is a brilliant offensive mind. We need that. However I think he is going to have a lot of trouble recruiting African American players, especially smart, well-informed players, ie Cal players, no matter what Bear Goggles thinks is "fair."

If we hire him it will be a big story that will be very negative for Cal football. If he is helping our offense now, why else would they keep it top secret? They KNOW it would be bad if it is public. So go ahead and do it anyway?

We need to improve our play calling AND retain our best skill players and recruit more. We need an OC that can do both.
plus a gazzillion

THere is a core tension. The aspiration by leaders - especially from the humanities and the social sciences - for Cal to be west coast Ivy and then the reality that it is the academic, if not dejure, flagship for the diverse state of California.
Take care of your Chicken
wifeisafurd
concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Are those people University figureheads and are they known to have cited conspiracy theories and made up religious convictions?
I guess we can debate all that on the O/T board. But there are players (and maybe coaches) on the team with strong religious convictions and who have views you obviously disagree with. It's a big tent. I might add football tend to attract the more socially and politically conservative, and from everything I see, Cal football players tend to be more conservative than the average Cal student.

My experience with the type of litigation Rolo is involved with there will be a lot of dispute as to who said what when. I might add I suspect I probably don't agree with Rolo's views on certain topics, but that is irrelevant.

Assuming Wilcox is even going to with Rolo (which is a big assumption), Wilcox has to make an assessment if Rolo fits with the team (players and staff) and the universtiy. I don't know how any of this goes without a discussion with the administration, and an understanding that on non-football topics, the team's view come from one person, the head coach.

The other issue I have with Rolo (and with Troy Taylor) is that it seems like he is a short timer. Once he rehabs his reputation, he is off to a HC position. I like Frost or some others that seem like they would make a longer commitment to Cal. before they pursue HC positions.

Rushinbear
wifeisafurd said:

concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I guess we can debate all that on the O/T board. But there are players (and maybe coaches) on the team with strong religious convictions and who have views you obviously disagree with. It's a big tent. My experience with the type of litigation Rolo is involved with there will be a lot of dispute as to who said what when. I might add I suspect I probably don't agree with Rolo's views on certain topics, but that is irrelevant.

Assuming Wilcox is even going to with Rolo (which is a big assumption), Wilcox has to make an assessment if Rolo fits. I don't know how any of this goes without a discussion with the administration and an understanding that on non-football topics, the team's view come from one person, the head coach.

The other issue I have with Rolo is that it seems like he is a short timer. Once he rehabs his reputation, he is off to a HC position. I like Frost or some others that seem like they would make a longer commitment to Cal.

Might be the best thing. Brings his ability and experience to bear and moves on if he wears out his welcome. If he's chosen, let's see how it goes. In the meantime, JW can find that 30 year old phenom. Kinda like a social experiment on a giant scale.
oski003
calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Vic So'oto isn't white
Terrence Brown isn't white
Aristotle Thompson isn't white
Burl Toler isn't white
Tre Watson isn't white
Brian Johnson isn't white
Andrew Francis isn't white
Marty Wilson isn't white
Charmin Smith isn't white

Your feelings are off base here.

BearGoggles
calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Your repeating the same false statement twice doesn't make it correct. Again, here is what he said:

So, again, there's no record he had a problem with the "racial justice stuff." He in fact denied having a problem with it in the ESPN article I posted.

And for the record, I said nothing about "woke" or "fair" or any of the other caca you posted. You're swinging at windmills. I have no idea if Rolovich can recruit to Cal. Your incorrectly "citing" things he never said doesn't shed any light on that.

tequila4kapp
All I know is that it is a virtual certainty that whoever we hire is going to be better. That's the thing about having the worst of something...you can only go up from there.
Econ141
tequila4kapp said:

All I know is that it is a virtual certainty that whoever we hire is going to be better. That's the thing about having the worst of something...you can only go up from there.

Is Musgrave better than Baldwin? We can always do equally bad! Don't count cal out of find "untraditional excellence" at failing athletically.
calumnus
BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Your repeating the same false statement twice doesn't make it correct. Again, here is what he said:

So, again, there's no record he had a problem with the "racial justice stuff." He in fact denied having a problem with it in the ESPN article I posted.

And for the record, I said nothing about "woke" or "fair" or any of the other caca you posted. You're swinging at windmills. I have no idea if Rolovich can recruit to Cal. Your incorrectly "citing" things he never said doesn't shed any light on that.

Maybe you can be his lawyer in the lawsuit:
https://whitmancountywatch.com/2021/08/31/rolovich-wsu-face-suit-alleging-retaliation-over-covid-19-risks-racial-equity-concerns/

The player clearly viewed his comments differently than you do. Many if not most people who have read the transcript and heard the tape view it differently than you do.

Even if you are right, then he "only" kicked him off the team because the player wanted to exercise his 1st amendment right to advocate for the right to receive NIL payments for players (itself a right which was upheld by both factions of the US Supreme Court)? That would be OK?

That he violated his player's clearly established rights but is now suing WSU for "violating" his own "rights"? That obvious hypocrisy would be OK?

Again, he is suing WSU over a State of Washington policy that was also implemented by the State of California. Could be implemented again in the future. Tgst is a red flag for most employers.

Again, it doesn't matter what you think, it doesn't matter what I think, It matters what players and recruits think. And maybe the B1G Commissioner (who is African American) thinks. I don't see why it makes sense for Cal football, at this critical time, to take on this baggage. We have enough issues of our own. He is not the only good play caller on the planet.

wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I don't see why it makes sense for Cal football, at this critical time, to take on this baggage. We have enough issues of our own. He is not the only good play caller on the planet.

The Cal OC job comes with a lot of baggage and does Cal. Part of the timing on announcing the firing may be to gauge the level of interest in the OC job. Rolo may be the best they can get.
Rtkbear
All of those coaches with the exception of Charmin are assistant coaches. I don't think Cal has a diversity issue with respect to assistant coaches.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I don't see why it makes sense for Cal football, at this critical time, to take on this baggage. We have enough issues of our own. He is not the only good play caller on the planet.

The Cal OC job comes with a lot of baggage and does Cal. Part of the timing on announcing the firing may be to gauge the level of interest in the OC job. Rolo may be the best they can get.

It is a P5 job in a great area with proven 4 star skill players and a HC who defers to his OC. There are literally hundreds of OCs across the country for whom it is a promotion. I don't know why we would back ourselves into thinking Rolo is the only possible choice.
oski003
Rtkbear said:

All of those coaches with the exception of Charmin are assistant coaches. I don't think Cal has a diversity issue with respect to assistant coaches.

Assistant football coach at Cal is not in the top 50 jobs in Cal's athletic department? These guys make 300k per year.

Who is in the top 50 then?

Markeisha Everett?
Ty-ron Douglas?
Marissa Nicola?
Gordon Bayne?
Rtkbear
I was just referencing that most of the people named were assistant coaches. If I understand Calumnus' post, he was referencing the status of the department soon after JK took over and was referencing the head coaches, football coordinators and top athletic department people.

I've cut and pasted his prior post:

"At a school where, soon after Knowlton and then Fox was hired, every single top athletics administration position and every single head coach job, even every coordinator job on the football team was held by white people? Something like the 40 or 50 top jobs in athletics at Cal."

So, naming a bunch of assistant coaches doesn't negate his post because he only referenced head coaches and football coordinators. Perhaps some of the top administration people are in fact more diverse. I don't know, I was just commenting on the coaches part of his post.
oski003
Rtkbear said:

I was just referencing that most of the people named were assistant coaches. If I understand Calumnus' post, he was referencing the status of the department soon after JK took over and was referencing the head coaches, football coordinators and top athletic department people.

"At a school where, soon after Knowlton and then Fox was hired, every single top athletics administration position and every single head coach job, even every coordinator job on the football team was held by white people? Something like the 40 or 50 top jobs in athletics at Cal."

So, naming a bunch of assistant coaches doesn't negate his post because he only referenced head coaches and football coordinators. Perhaps some of the top administration people are in fact more diverse. I don't know, I was just commenting on the coaches part of his post.

The track coach was Hispanic Tony Sandoval and then became African American Robyne Johnson in 2019 shortly after Knowlton was hired. Does this not count because we are now counting Hispanics as Whites? Does Track not count?
tequila4kapp
Econ141 said:

tequila4kapp said:

Is Musgrave better than Baldwin? We can always do equally bad! Don't count cal out of find "untraditional excellence" at failing athletically.
Musgrave is definite worse. Baldwin's 1st year we averaged just under 28ppg
dmh65
BulaBear3cubs said:

That'll never happen. Berkeley cares far more about supporting the covid narrative and coercing vaccines than they care about winning football games. Hell, look at how much Aaron Rodgers has been vilified. Berkeley is not a tolerant place.
bencgilmore
southseasbear said:

I have an idea: Knowlton and his search firm can call the plays. What could go wrong?
how hard can it be?
oskidunker
Rollovich set a bad example for students he coached. The biggest problem was he would never own his decision by telling wsu if he had been vaccinated.
Go Bears!
southseasbear
wifeisafurd said:

The other issue I have with Rolo (and with Troy Taylor) is that it seems like he is a short timer. Once he rehabs his reputation, he is off to a HC position. I like Frost or some others that seem like they would make a longer commitment to Cal. before they pursue HC positions.

You think Troy Taylor would be a "short timer" compared with Frost? I can't imagine anyone who would be more dedicated to staying for at least a decade than Troy Taylor, with the possible exception of Ron Rivera.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
calumnus
oski003 said:

Rtkbear said:

The track coach was Hispanic Tony Sandoval and then became African American Robyne Johnson in 2019 shortly after Knowlton was hired. Does this not count because we are now counting Hispanics as Whites? Does Track not count?

The photo that drew the negative attention may have been in 2019 after Fox was hired, Sandoval had retired and before Johnson was hired or arrived on campus. The point was that at the time the athletics department hadn't noticed. It caught them by surprise. That is not a progressive institution that was committed to diversity and inclusion. They are not even a private employer. And this is athletics. It is like the McKeever scandal, it had to be brought to their attention by outsiders and made a public scandal. It might have been a reason Johnson was hired. There appears to have been more effort to increase diversity since, but it came after some public embarrassment.

What are the numbers now would you guess? 90 to 95% of the head coaches and top administrators are white?

Again, I only brought this up because I thought Bear Goggles was saying Cal should hire Rolovich and if we don't it is because our athletics department is too PC.

It is just a bad look for Cal if WSU fires a winning coach on principle and then Cal hires him when he is still facing a lawsuit for racial discrimination and still suing WSU for doing something we would have (maybe?) done too.
Shocky1
rolo is not coming to berkeley as the oc

clue#
Pittstop
Why would JW or Musgrave have given the Cal announcer (Pawlawski) a copy of the actual playbook? Is that normal?
BearGoggles
Shocky1 said:

rolo is not coming to berkeley as the oc

clue#
In what capacity is he coming to Cal? :-)
BearGoggles
oskidunker said:

Rollovich set a bad example for students he coached. The biggest problem was he would never own his decision by telling wsu if he had been vaccinated.

Where does this crap come from? Explain to me how he applied for an exemption (which all parties acknowledge he did) if he didn't tell them his vaccination status?
calumnus
Pittstop said:

Why would JW or Musgrave have given the Cal announcer (Pawlawski) a copy of the actual playbook? Is that normal?

Pawlawski is an ex-QB and offensive junkie. In addition to his job as a Cal radio analyst he does Insider podcasts and break downs of plays He often talks of sitting in the room with the coaches. When Cal runs a play, he usually gives the name of the play and knows what the players' assignments were and can say when a player misses his assignment.

It just seems to me he knows the playbook. My 90% guess is he asked for it and the coaches have no reason not to share it with him to help him do his job, but I don't know for sure.

It could just be Palawski's familiarity with similar offense when he was an NFL QB back in 1992. Nothing Musgrave was doing was revolutionary.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.