OT?: 'Why is Cal swimming tyrant Teri McKeever still employed?' - SFGate

8,685 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reading this thread and article it is becoming clear that Knowlton answers to people that like having a top swimming program and coach and prefer that the culture at Cal reflect that rather than football excellence. And that they don't want to be known as a football school because of the kind of thing that attracts. It seems to me that this has some subtle classism and racism in it.

I don't know who these people are but I think they have been dominating the administration at Cal for too long and they should be exposed and de-fanged.

That is just my take with limited knowledge about the specifics but with a lot of archival knowledge about what has been going on at Cal over the majority of the last half century.

If I am incorrect or have offended anybody, I apologize. But there is something deeply wrong here and there are clear biases and inequitable treatment happening at the highest levels at Cal.

At the very least, there seems to be a pro-staff/anti student bias. And, yes, that can end up with criminally negligent behavior. We have seen this before at places like Penn St. and Michigan St. And this is starting to have the same kind of stink. I mean you don't have to discover the skunk to know it's around.
OdontoBear66
socaltownie said:

I am not saying that is not how it happened but will point out that conversation is how it was summarized by a reporter as related by pissed off parents. None of us yet know whether or not jk said no such thing and immediately called hr the moment the door closed. Let's wait for the report.
I appreciate your patience and need for a comprehensive result, but wait we have. C'mon this is a stain on our University and was brought to everyone's attention via a newspaper report probably over six months ago with follow up reports about once a month since. So that being the case the admin has known about this way, way longer than we have. And to date......Nothing.

The stain from this needs to be cleared and should have been front burner. Yes, competently done; but also in a timely fashion. Everything I have read on McKeever including the letters from fellow coaches does not smell good at all. And until she is completely cleared the bad light shines on Cal while she is protected. Innocent until adjudicated adequately, but adjudicated in reasonable time as in the interim, Cal does not look good.
DiabloWags
BearGoggles said:

DiabloWags said:

Doesnt sound like Knowlton did anything.

Where is this sourced from? Not disagreeing it could be fireable if true, but how do we know what knowlton did or didn't do at this point?

Here's a better question...

As I recall, you were one of the biggest McKeever defenders in the OT thread in the Football Growls section wanting her to receive justice and the benefit of the doubt and a 6-month investigation even though the Administration could have fired her without cause and her employment contract that she signed waved the right to a Skelly hearing.

Never mind that Cal swimmers lodged complaints with Cal Senior Women's Administrator Jennifer Simon-O'Neill, the godmother of one of McKeever's children. Never mind that Chloe Clark's Crohn's Disease was "outed" by McKeever during a team meeting that Clark wasnt invited to. Never mind that Clark reported this FEDERAL PRIVACY VIOLATION to Simon-O'Neill, who reportedly told Clark to simply deal with it and offered the tone-deaf bureaucratic reply of . . . ."What do you want me to do? She's a World Class Olympic Coach. I'll talk to her about it."

Never mind that Cal female swimmer's had confided in an athletic department official about McKeever's abuse, and he wound up sexually harassing them. He was terminated by the University in 2018.

Never mind that there were "earlier" complaints made before Knowlton extended McKeever's contract.

As I recall, you're the guy that felt that investigative reporter Scott Reid's reporting was biased and one-sided. Never mind that in his very first paragraph of his initial article he asked Knowlton and the University for a comment. Reid said they declined.

And then as more and more first-hand accounts came out from Cal Swimmers interviewed by investigative reporter Scott Reid, you totally "disappeared" from that thread. And now you're looking to jump back into the "pool" ???

Why?
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
calumnus
BearGoggles said:

socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

I am not saying that is not how it happened but will point out that conversation is how it was summarized by a reporter as related by pissed off parents. None of us yet know whether or not jk said no such thing and immediately called hr the moment the door closed. Let's wait for the report.

We know he gave McKeever a huge new five year contract AFTER the accusations of racism and abuse were reported to him.

I haven't taken the time to layout a timeline.. I can not recall when the first meeting with the parents occurred and when the contract?
Timeline is not entirely clear, but this article lays it out somewhat.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/08/03/cal-continued-to-give-teri-mckeever-pay-raises-despite-bullying-complaints/

Contract dated/signed Jan 7 2020. Parents brought the most recent allegations in December 2019 and Knowlton apparently was not at that meeting (though Simon-O'Neill was).

The reason I say not entirely clear is that if the contract was signed in January 2020, I think it likely was approved before then (Dec. 2019) and then went through the typical months'
long Cal process.

I think it is very much an open question as to how Knowlton handled the current allegations and how the prior allegations (many of which predate Knowlton's tenure) were handled by Cal, as well as when Knowlton learned of the current/prior allegations. It is possible in my mind that: (i) Simon-O'Neill didn't share the Dec 2019 allegations with Knowlton before the contract was signed; and/or (ii) if he did know, Knowlton followed the current Cal policies with respect to the Dec 2019 allegations (referral to the appropriate third parties, etc.) and proceeded with the contract that had been agreed to in principal before then. Will be very interested in hearing what Simon-O'Neill did in reporting up and how the holiday's potentially interceded (i.e., Cal would be shut down in late December).

There were earlier complaints made to Knowlton, prior to the 2020 contract extension:

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/08/03/cal-continued-to-give-teri-mckeever-pay-raises-despite-bullying-complaints/
BearlyCareAnymore
RichyBear said:

BY JAMES SUTHERLAND 79
December 01st, 2022College, News, Pac-12

A number of former swimmers, ex-college coaches and various members of the swimming community have spoken out in support of Teri McKeever.

A total of 48 people have written letters supporting McKeever, according to a report Wednesday from The Orange County Register, which have been sent by her attorney, Thomas Newkirk, to the University of California's counsel as part of a campaign coordinated by Newkirk to show support for McKeever.

McKeever was placed on administrative leave by the university in May after allegations of verbal and emotional abuse from a number of her current and former swimmers surfaced.

Over the past several months, more than 40 current or former Cal swimmers and divers, 17 parents, a former member of the men's swimming and diving squad at Cal, two former coaches, a former Cal administrator, and two former Cal athletic department employees have come forward to the SCNG with stories of McKeever's bullying.

Among the most noteworthy supports of McKeever is Alicia Wilson, a current fifth-year senior on the Cal women's team who entered the NCAA transfer portal earlier this season and is not competing with the Golden Bears this weekend at the Minnesota Invite.

"It has been so distressing to have my coach, my idol, and a mother figure taken away so quickly and wrongfully targeted by girls I used to call my teammates and friends," Wilson wrote in a letter addressed to Cal Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton, according to The OC Register.

Wilson's was one of 17 letters provided to a Southern California News Group (SCNG) by Newkirk, which reportedly includes more former swimmers, ex-college coaches, parents of former Golden Bears and various members of the swimming community McKeever has encountered over her 29-year career leading Cal.

According to The OC Register, supporters portray McKeever as a "groundbreaking coach who is the victim of gender bias and of athletes who don't want to be held accountable for their shortcomings in the pool."

The supporters also include Jill Sterkel, a four-time Olympic medalist and longtime college coach who said she agrees with the idea that McKeever is a victim of gender bias.

"I absolutely subscribe to that," Sterkel said. "I was a female coach for a long time. I got the crap beat out of me too. People just (were) talking because I was a female. Assumptions that were made that were completely false, And it's hard, it's hard. You're out there completely by yourself. You're almost on an island."

Newkirk said the letters undercut the allegations made against McKeever and expose what he and supporters have characterized as "a pampered generation of female college athletes and a double standard in how female and male coaches are viewed and judged," according to the OC Register.

"It is a trend for a handful of disgruntled student-athletes to complain about a coach and accuse the culture of being toxic, when in reality, the other 90 percent are perfectly happy," former Purdue head coach Cathy Wright-Eger wrote, according to The OC Register.

"Unfortunately, the small handful, along with their parents and unprofessional reporters are being louder and ruining the careers of many coaches. It is happening every day in collegiate athletics and I would be devastated to see this happen to Teri McKeever."

Another former female coach in the NCAA, Princeton's Susan Teeter, also expressed strong support for McKeever.

"As a women's coach, I have seen years of immature athletes who take on the role of 'mean girls' and become toxic and hateful, which is what I believe you have on your hands right now," said Teeter, who coached at the NCAA Division I level for 45 years.

"This generation of athletes seems to think if they don't get their way, they will create a way to deal with whoever stands in their way. Not only athletes, but many of our male colleagues who are jealous about Teri's success and ability to coach women to the Olympics, when they, as coaches, can't seem to get the job done."

The OC Register notes that 15 of the 17 letters provided to the SCNG were addressed directly to Knowlton, though Newkirk sent them to the university's counsel.

Cal assistant vice chancellor Dan Mogulof told The OC Register Knowlton has not received any such letters, and that the school has "no comment regarding information or correspondence sent to our legal counsel office."

In August, letters supporting McKeever were sent to Cal Berkeley chancellor Carol Christ alleging that university leadership failed to take action on repeated and credible allegations of abuse and bullying against McKeever. The letters suggested that an investigation into Cal leadership rather than McKeever was the more pressing issue. At the time a legal expert told SwimSwam it's not unusual for this type of investigation to focus on whether the individual in question committed wrongdoing before addressing any administrative oversight.

According to The OC Register, McKeever signed a contract extension in January 2020 that expires on April 30, 2024. It includes an annual base salary of $242,000 with up to $55,000 in potential bonuses.

Cal has hired an independent law firm to investigate McKeever, which is still ongoing.

Dave Durden, now in his 16th season as the head coach of the Cal men's swim & dive program, was named acting director of the women's team in August.

The letters reportedly "echo a conspiracy" from some that Durden had designs on McKeever's job for years and is somehow behind the controversy, The OC Register notes.

"I am glad you are doing a thorough review of the program," Mike Stromberg, a Colorado Springs swim coach, wrote in a letter to Knowlton. "I also think you should do the same thorough review of the men's program too."

So let's dismiss the 27 swimmers including Olympians who walked out of practice after meeting with McKeever regarding verbal abuse allegations in late May 2022.. Let's dismiss the allegation by a swimmer, Danielle Carter who confided in McKeever about suicidal thoughts that McKeever "literally laughed in my face" when informed.. Or the countless bullying allegations, targeting swimmers to bully or bullying swimmers to practice with injuries.. Let's dismiss it all….
These testimonials by her peers are nothing more than an attempt to smokescreen the truth via moral accounts of good deeds and ritcheous behavior, all while minimizing/rationalizing abusive behavior by McKeever as if it was the pitiful swimmer's weak character that was the culprit..
She was abusive, it was dismissed… Read more

I have to comment on one issue. A couple of those coaches basically put the blame on a whole generation of athletes. ("a pampered generation of female college athletes", "This generation of athletes seems to think if they don't get their way, they will create a way to deal with whoever stands in their way.") Hey, you know what? Maybe so. But when you get to the point that athletes have changed and you can't change enough to relate to them, you can't coach anymore. If you hate your athletes as much as these two seem to, you shouldn't be coaching them. When you have a couple of problematic individuals, maybe it is on them. When you think the whole generation sucks it is on you. You are basically saying what you did 30 years ago doesn't work anymore and you can't or won't change.
DiabloWags
Perhaps some of McKeever's supporters need a reality check.

These arent swimmers who were "B" team competitors.
These werent swimmers who were from the neighborhood swim club looking to "participate" at Cal.
These swimmers were by no means "soft" and anyone making such a claim is simply spewing horse*****

These were highly disciplined, hard working ELITE NATIONAL CALIBER ATHLETES that were RECRUITED by a National Championship D-1 program. We arent talking about a bunch of "walk-ons" here.

Did Natalie Coughlin send a letter in support of Teri McKeever?

Did Missy Franklin send a letter in support of Teri?

Oh wait.
When she came back to Cal she chose to be trained by Dave Durden.
Not McKeever.

BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

bipolarbear said:

DiabloWags said:

A number of swimmers reportedly made their concerns known to Jim Knowlton in early 2022.

Whether they are true or not, was not up for Knowlton to decide. By law, he must report them.

Thats a fireable offense right there.

Fired. For. Cause.

Yup. It's crazy to bemoan that we are saddled with Knowlton for 7 more years when this opportunity is sitting right here in front of us. How often do we get a chance to follow a course that would please various disparate campus groups like this?

Knowlton's biggest strength is that he is a good shmoozer, compared to his predecessor, but as we have found out, that ain't good enough.
Cal isn't going to use it as an excuse to fire for cause (vs. potentially fire for cause if Cal thinks it is deserved). Cal doesn't work that way.

Cal doesn't often fire for cause.

I see no reason to think Cal wants a pretext to get rid of Knowlton

We don't know what actually happened

There could be others who would appear at least as culpable as Knowlton who would then have to be fired for cause too or it would make firing Knowlton for cause an obvious pretext.

You don't just get to decide to fire for cause and say "okay, I got off for free" Knowlton would sue. UC has had a few very large settlements in cases where someone was fired for cause and almost anyone would think UC's case was obviously correct. Practically speaking, here would still be a buyout, they'd just have some negotiation leverage to probably save some money.
socaltownie
Subtle? It is flat out racist.
Take care of your Chicken
heartofthebear
RichyBear said:

BY JAMES SUTHERLAND 79
December 01st, 2022College, News, Pac-12

A number of former swimmers, ex-college coaches and various members of the swimming community have spoken out in support of Teri McKeever.

A total of 48 people have written letters supporting McKeever, according to a report Wednesday from The Orange County Register, which have been sent by her attorney, Thomas Newkirk, to the University of California's counsel as part of a campaign coordinated by Newkirk to show support for McKeever.

McKeever was placed on administrative leave by the university in May after allegations of verbal and emotional abuse from a number of her current and former swimmers surfaced.

Over the past several months, more than 40 current or former Cal swimmers and divers, 17 parents, a former member of the men's swimming and diving squad at Cal, two former coaches, a former Cal administrator, and two former Cal athletic department employees have come forward to the SCNG with stories of McKeever's bullying.

Among the most noteworthy supports of McKeever is Alicia Wilson, a current fifth-year senior on the Cal women's team who entered the NCAA transfer portal earlier this season and is not competing with the Golden Bears this weekend at the Minnesota Invite.

"It has been so distressing to have my coach, my idol, and a mother figure taken away so quickly and wrongfully targeted by girls I used to call my teammates and friends," Wilson wrote in a letter addressed to Cal Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton, according to The OC Register.

Wilson's was one of 17 letters provided to a Southern California News Group (SCNG) by Newkirk, which reportedly includes more former swimmers, ex-college coaches, parents of former Golden Bears and various members of the swimming community McKeever has encountered over her 29-year career leading Cal.

According to The OC Register, supporters portray McKeever as a "groundbreaking coach who is the victim of gender bias and of athletes who don't want to be held accountable for their shortcomings in the pool."

The supporters also include Jill Sterkel, a four-time Olympic medalist and longtime college coach who said she agrees with the idea that McKeever is a victim of gender bias.

"I absolutely subscribe to that," Sterkel said. "I was a female coach for a long time. I got the crap beat out of me too. People just (were) talking because I was a female. Assumptions that were made that were completely false, And it's hard, it's hard. You're out there completely by yourself. You're almost on an island."

Newkirk said the letters undercut the allegations made against McKeever and expose what he and supporters have characterized as "a pampered generation of female college athletes and a double standard in how female and male coaches are viewed and judged," according to the OC Register.

"It is a trend for a handful of disgruntled student-athletes to complain about a coach and accuse the culture of being toxic, when in reality, the other 90 percent are perfectly happy," former Purdue head coach Cathy Wright-Eger wrote, according to The OC Register.

"Unfortunately, the small handful, along with their parents and unprofessional reporters are being louder and ruining the careers of many coaches. It is happening every day in collegiate athletics and I would be devastated to see this happen to Teri McKeever."

Another former female coach in the NCAA, Princeton's Susan Teeter, also expressed strong support for McKeever.

"As a women's coach, I have seen years of immature athletes who take on the role of 'mean girls' and become toxic and hateful, which is what I believe you have on your hands right now," said Teeter, who coached at the NCAA Division I level for 45 years.

"This generation of athletes seems to think if they don't get their way, they will create a way to deal with whoever stands in their way. Not only athletes, but many of our male colleagues who are jealous about Teri's success and ability to coach women to the Olympics, when they, as coaches, can't seem to get the job done."

The OC Register notes that 15 of the 17 letters provided to the SCNG were addressed directly to Knowlton, though Newkirk sent them to the university's counsel.

Cal assistant vice chancellor Dan Mogulof told The OC Register Knowlton has not received any such letters, and that the school has "no comment regarding information or correspondence sent to our legal counsel office."

In August, letters supporting McKeever were sent to Cal Berkeley chancellor Carol Christ alleging that university leadership failed to take action on repeated and credible allegations of abuse and bullying against McKeever. The letters suggested that an investigation into Cal leadership rather than McKeever was the more pressing issue. At the time a legal expert told SwimSwam it's not unusual for this type of investigation to focus on whether the individual in question committed wrongdoing before addressing any administrative oversight.

According to The OC Register, McKeever signed a contract extension in January 2020 that expires on April 30, 2024. It includes an annual base salary of $242,000 with up to $55,000 in potential bonuses.

Cal has hired an independent law firm to investigate McKeever, which is still ongoing.

Dave Durden, now in his 16th season as the head coach of the Cal men's swim & dive program, was named acting director of the women's team in August.

The letters reportedly "echo a conspiracy" from some that Durden had designs on McKeever's job for years and is somehow behind the controversy, The OC Register notes.

"I am glad you are doing a thorough review of the program," Mike Stromberg, a Colorado Springs swim coach, wrote in a letter to Knowlton. "I also think you should do the same thorough review of the men's program too."

So let's dismiss the 27 swimmers including Olympians who walked out of practice after meeting with McKeever regarding verbal abuse allegations in late May 2022.. Let's dismiss the allegation by a swimmer, Danielle Carter who confided in McKeever about suicidal thoughts that McKeever "literally laughed in my face" when informed.. Or the countless bullying allegations, targeting swimmers to bully or bullying swimmers to practice with injuries.. Let's dismiss it all….
These testimonials by her peers are nothing more than an attempt to smokescreen the truth via moral accounts of good deeds and ritcheous behavior, all while minimizing/rationalizing abusive behavior by McKeever as if it was the pitiful swimmer's weak character that was the culprit..
She was abusive, it was dismissed… Read more

These other coaches think they know McKeever because they also woman coaches. It reminds me of the countless time the mother's of serial killers have testified in court that their son was the nicest human alive and could never kill anyone. And that's their mother!!

People think they know somebody. But they don't.

Also, if 90% of the swimmers have no complaints, that is irrelevant and almost makes things worse. Abusers typically pick on particular or even individual people that they feel they can bully. How they treat everybody else is irrelevant. Such victims are further isolated by the fact that they can't prove what happened or get support for it because they have been singled out. It is a horrible situation for the victim.

If McKeever treated everybody great except one person, who she abused, it is just as bad.
heartofthebear
tequila4kapp said:

The 48 letters are a smoke screen. This isn't a math equation where more good deeds outweigh less bad deeds. Certain behaviors are unacceptable. Always and no matter what. And it only takes one bad action.
Thank you. Just posted the same before reading your comment.
heartofthebear
calumnus said:

GoCal80 said:

DiabloWags said:

A number of swimmers reportedly made their concerns known to Jim Knowlton in early 2022.

Whether they are true or not, was not up for Knowlton to decide. By law, he must report them.

Thats a fireable offense right there.

How could it possibly be known whether he reported the allegations? All such reporting and investigating is done confidentially. The reporting person is prohibited from commenting on the case. Therefore, unless I'm missing something, it seems like some big assumptions are being made about what Knowlton did or did not do. Moreover, once a report of such a nature is made, the reporting individual is required to stay clear from engaging with the involved individuals or commenting on the case in any way that could potentially prejudice the outcome of the investigation. In my many years working on campus I have served both as a person reporting such allegations to the appropriate campus offices and have been appointed to committees to investigate allegations.

Nice try.

When the abuse was reported to him Knowlton told the swimmers McKeever was just "a tough coach" and that "one day they would look back and be grateful for (the abuse). Knowlton then gave McKeeever a huge 5 year contract.

If Knowlton had reported the abuse and allegations of racial harassment, there would have been an investigation, the swimmers would have been interviewed by someone at the university. How could there be "an investigation" without the alleged victims knowing about it? That is just an absurd suggestion.

How could McKeever's huge new contract be approved if she was under an internal investigation for violating university, state and federal rules and law?

Knowlton/the university clearly did nothing until after it came out in the press and became a national story earlier this year, after the new contract was signed. That is when they suspended McKeever (with full pay) and hired a high priced outside law firm to do an "investigation."

In any case, no matter what happens next, Knowlton's actions and inactions are going again to cost the university $millions in attorney fees and payouts to some combination of McKeever and the swimmers and possibly even Federal fines.
It sounds like Knowlton's #1 fear was losing McKeever and her winning ways. Fear for the possible victims did not enter his mind at all, apparently. What a ****** bag move that was.
heartofthebear
calumnus said:

tequila4kapp said:

The 48 letters are a smoke screen. This isn't a math equation where more good deeds outweigh less bad deeds. Certain behaviors are unacceptable. Always and no matter what. And it only takes one bad action.

Especially all the letters of support from McKeever's friends, other coaches who have no idea what actually happened.

It is important to note that the picture that has been painted of McKeever and her program is more typical of a cult leader. Start by "bonding" revealing your inner most secrets and fears. The cut leader later uses that information against them.

The cult leader has favorites and those "in the dog house" set aside for abuse. This is used for control of the whole group. Initially someone "different" (in this case a different race, different body type is targeted, but definitely anyone who questions the cult leader. No one wants to trade places with the scapegoat by standing up to the cult leader. The others are encouraged to join in the abuse to make them complicit. They are praised. They excel and win external praise, win races. Some come to see the cult leader as a parental figure (in fact many parents run their families this way). They are extremely loyal and would do anything for the leader. They were likely complicit in the abuse and believe the victims "deserved it." The same thing can be scaled up to control countries. Authoritarians do this because it works and they are often greatly rewarded for it, at least in the short run. Authoritarianism always fails in the long run.
Good analogy and what does that makes Knowlton?
DiabloWags
heartofthebear said:

calumnus said:

tequila4kapp said:

Especially all the letters of support from McKeever's friends, other coaches who have no idea what actually happened.

It is important to note that the picture that has been painted of McKeever and her program is more typical of a cult leader. Start by "bonding" revealing your inner most secrets and fears. The cut leader later uses that information against them.

The cult leader has favorites and those "in the dog house" set aside for abuse. This is used for control of the whole group. Initially someone "different" (in this case a different race, different body type is targeted, but definitely anyone who questions the cult leader. No one wants to trade places with the scapegoat by standing up to the cult leader. The others are encouraged to join in the abuse to make them complicit. They are praised. They excel and win external praise, win races. Some come to see the cult leader as a parental figure (in fact many parents run their families this way). They are extremely loyal and would do anything for the leader. They were likely complicit in the abuse and believe the victims "deserved it." The same thing can be scaled up to control countries. Authoritarians do this because it works and they are often greatly rewarded for it, at least in the short run. Authoritarianism always fails in the long run.
Good analogy and what does that makes Knowlton?

An enabler.
heartofthebear
socaltownie said:

Subtle? It is flat out racist.
I agree. I was trying to be delicate because the wording of my post could be twisted to seem that I am the racist.
DiabloWags
Just an FYI:

I believe that Paragraph 12 of McKeever's contract allows the University to terminate without cause by making the payments specified in that paragraph.

12. TERMINATION BY UNIVERSITY WITHOUT CAUSE. In addition to and exclusive of the foregoing provisions, there is also reserved to the University the right to terminate this Contract without cause at any time by giving written notice to Coach of such decision. Except as set forth below, in the event the University terminates this Contract without cause pursuant to this Paragraph 12, the University shall pay to Coach as liquidated damages, in lieu of any and all other legal remedies or equitable relief, the following sum(s):

In the event the University terminates Coach's employment pursuant to this Section, the University shall pay to Coach the base salary for the remainder of the Contract Year (as identified in Paragraph 2.A titled "Compensation - Base Salary" in the Contract Addendum) during which Coach was terminated, as well the base salary for all remaining Contract Years, based upon the percentages as outlined below:

Contract Year 1 - 100% of base salary for the Contract Year
Contract Year 2 - 100% of base salary for the Contract Year
Contract Year 3 - 75% of base salary for the Contract Year
Contract Year 4 - 50% of base salary for the Contract Year
Contract Year 5 - 25% of base salary for the Contract Year

The University's obligation pursuant to this paragraph shall not extend beyond the Term. For purposes of this Paragraph 12, base salary is as identified in Paragraph 2.A titled "Compensation - Base Salary" in the Contract Addendum. These payments to Coach by University shall be paid in substantially equal monthly installments during what would have been the remaining term of this Contract had it not been terminated. University shall also pay to Coach all compensation including performance-based compensation earned by Coach prior to the effective date of termination. University shall not be liable to Coach for any University benefits, which are not vested at the time of termination, nor for any collateral business opportunities or other benefits associated with Coach's position as Coach.
juarezbear
DiabloWags said:

Just an FYI:

I believe that Paragraph 12 of McKeever's contract allows the University to terminate without cause by making the payments specified in that paragraph.

12. TERMINATION BY UNIVERSITY WITHOUT CAUSE. In addition to and exclusive of the foregoing provisions, there is also reserved to the University the right to terminate this Contract without cause at any time by giving written notice to Coach of such decision. Except as set forth below, in the event the University terminates this Contract without cause pursuant to this Paragraph 12, the University shall pay to Coach as liquidated damages, in lieu of any and all other legal remedies or equitable relief, the following sum(s):

In the event the University terminates Coach's employment pursuant to this Section, the University shall pay to Coach the base salary for the remainder of the Contract Year (as identified in Paragraph 2.A titled "Compensation - Base Salary" in the Contract Addendum) during which Coach was terminated, as well the base salary for all remaining Contract Years, based upon the percentages as outlined below:

The University's obligation pursuant to this paragraph shall not extend beyond the Term. For purposes of this Paragraph 12, base salary is as identified in Paragraph 2.A titled "Compensation - Base Salary" in the Contract Addendum. These payments to Coach by University shall be paid in substantially equal monthly installments during what would have been the remaining term of this Contract had it not been terminated. University shall also pay to Coach all compensation including performance-based compensation earned by Coach prior to the effective date of termination. University shall not be liable to Coach for any University benefits, which are not vested at the time of termination, nor for any collateral business opportunities or other benefits associated with Coach's position as Coach.

I don't know why the administration hasn't moved on this sooner. I would imagine they're still awaiting the results of the investigation. I am appalled by the charges against Teri. If even a few of them are true, she should be let go. Before anybody jumps my **** on this, I'm simply thinking what might be going on in her and her lawyer's head…

In terms of the Admin invoking Paragraph 12 and firing her without cause, I can guarantee you that she would still file a suit alleging some form of discrimination and seek far greater damages. My experience I. The entertainment industry has been that firing someone without cause per a contract is never clean unless the employee doesn't want to get into the mud pit and fight. Frankly, these allegations are so serious that there's virtually no chance of her getting another job after this and sees this as a forced retirement. I'm sure she's running the numbers to see if that's sufficient and probably wants more money. Not saying she'd win, but defending against alleged bias is really tough.

That's how I see the current situation.
BearlyCareAnymore
heartofthebear said:

Reading this thread and article it is becoming clear that Knowlton answers to people that like having a top swimming program and coach and prefer that the culture at Cal reflect that rather than football excellence. And that they don't want to be known as a football school because of the kind of thing that attracts. It seems to me that this has some subtle classism and racism in it.

I don't know who these people are but I think they have been dominating the administration at Cal for too long and they should be exposed and de-fanged.

That is just my take with limited knowledge about the specifics but with a lot of archival knowledge about what has been going on at Cal over the majority of the last half century.

If I am incorrect or have offended anybody, I apologize. But there is something deeply wrong here and there are clear biases and inequitable treatment happening at the highest levels at Cal.

At the very least, there seems to be a pro-staff/anti student bias. And, yes, that can end up with criminally negligent behavior. We have seen this before at places like Penn St. and Michigan St. And this is starting to have the same kind of stink. I mean you don't have to discover the skunk to know it's around.
I disagree with you on a couple of aspects here.

1. It is well known who has been swimming's primary benefactor over the years and therefor who is probably primarily responsible for there being a top swimming program, and they have been a huge benefactor for football and basketball as well. If you want to change that to Olympic sports, that might be a fair statement for some.

2. heart, I know you remember not that many years ago we had in short succession a football player die as a result of staff supervised strength and conditioning and another player having to go to the emergency room after a locker room incident and plenty was done to circle the wagons. I don't think it is accurate to say that swimming staff is getting preferential treatment to football in this type of situation

I have made the same general argument about some people's preference for Olympic sports, but I would argue that it is mostly classist (and elitist). Ivies participate in these sports and some like to view them as our peers. The unwashed masses paint their faces and whoop at football games.

But let's also get something clear. Football is not failing because we are drawing resources away from it to win in Olympic sports. The sports we traditionally excel in are largely self funded because we have succeeded in most of them for over 50 years and they have a lot of benefactors mostly not because they are classist or racist but because they participated in those sports. (I have some other criticisms of those sports, but they aren't relevant to football support). It should be understood that there are significant mutual benefactors of football and the sports we are traditionally good at, in addition to mutual benefactors of those sports and the university itself. De-emphasizing those sports would probably do more harm to what you want then good. That isn't the problem. Resources are getting pulled from football to pay for other sports that frankly contribute little to the university except that certain people have a fit if you even think about cutting sports.

But I could list off a myriad of known issues that provide obstacles for football and the removal of which would help significantly. I fear the bottom line is football just does not have enough support independent of those things. You look at Oregon. Anyone that is old enough remembers when Oregon sucked. They were a hippie school that didn't give a damn about this. Rich Brooks coached there for 18 years with a 91-109-4 record. Finished in the bottom half of the conference 13 times. Seat never warm. They didn't get smart. They got lucky with Phil Knight. For whatever reason, we just don't have that among our alumni base individually or collectively.
BearlyCareAnymore
juarezbear said:

DiabloWags said:

Just an FYI:

I don't know why the administration hasn't moved on this sooner. I would imagine they're still awaiting the results of the investigation. I am appalled by the charges against Teri. If even a few of them are true, she should be let go. Before anybody jumps my **** on this, I'm simply thinking what might be going on in her and her lawyer's head…

In terms of the Admin invoking Paragraph 12 and firing her without cause, I can guarantee you that she would still file a suit alleging some form of discrimination and seek far greater damages. My experience I. The entertainment industry has been that firing someone without cause per a contract is never clean unless the employee doesn't want to get into the mud pit and fight. Frankly, these allegations are so serious that there's virtually no chance of her getting another job after this and sees this as a forced retirement. I'm sure she's running the numbers to see if that's sufficient and probably wants more money. Not saying she'd win, but defending against alleged bias is really tough.

They have to wait for the results of the investigation. The issue isn't why they haven't moved sooner since the issue went public months ago. It is 1 - Why is the investigation taking so long? and 2 - Why was an investigation not started long before the situation became public. It is clear that an investigation should have started at minimum 2 and a half years ago
BearGoggles
DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

DiabloWags said:

Where is this sourced from? Not disagreeing it could be fireable if true, but how do we know what knowlton did or didn't do at this point?

Here's a better question...

As I recall, you were one of the biggest McKeever defenders in the OT thread in the Football Growls section wanting her to receive justice and the benefit of the doubt and a 6-month investigation even though the Administration could have fired her without cause and her employment contract that she signed waved the right to a Skelly hearing.

Never mind that Cal swimmers lodged complaints with Cal Senior Women's Administrator Jennifer Simon-O'Neill, the godmother of one of McKeever's children. Never mind that Chloe Clark's Crohn's Disease was "outed" by McKeever during a team meeting that Clark wasnt invited to. Never mind that Clark reported this FEDERAL PRIVACY VIOLATION to Simon-O'Neill, who reportedly told Clark to simply deal with it and offered the tone-deaf bureaucratic reply of . . . ."What do you want me to do? She's a World Class Olympic Coach. I'll talk to her about it."

Never mind that Cal female swimmer's had confided in an athletic department official about McKeever's abuse, and he wound up sexually harassing them. He was terminated by the University in 2018.

Never mind that there were "earlier" complaints made before Knowlton extended McKeever's contract.

As I recall, you're the guy that felt that investigative reporter Scott Reid's reporting was biased and one-sided. Never mind that in his very first paragraph of his initial article he asked Knowlton and the University for a comment. Reid said they declined.

And then as more and more first-hand accounts came out from Cal Swimmers interviewed by investigative reporter Scott Reid, you totally "disappeared" from that thread. And now you're looking to jump back into the "pool" ???

Why?

As is typical for you, rather than answer an honest and simple question asking you for the source of a claim you made, you instead launch into an ad hominem (and false) attack on me.

How about you answer my question? What is the source of your claim that "a number of swimmers reportedly made their concerns known to Jim Knowlton in early 2022" and Knowlton did nothing? How do you know this? Its a fair and reasonable question, yet you dodge it. Why? And your dodge is even more egregious because I said that if you can provide support I would likely agree with your larger point that Knowlton committed a fireable offense.

And to be clear, I've never defended McKeever. Being skeptical of one-sided bombastic and in some cases anonymous claims in a newspaper report - and standing for due process - is not a defense of McKeever.

I fully support holding all people (including McKeever and Knowlton) fully responsible for any bad actions or inactions. I'm not one bit embarrassed for asking to see all of the actual evidence or for thinking that Cal should follow its own labor/admin policies. McKeever has lawyered up with a guy who is very successful in bringing discrimination claims - Cal needs to be very careful that it doesn't make a bad situation even worse.
BearGoggles
calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

socaltownie said:

calumnus said:

socaltownie said:

We know he gave McKeever a huge new five year contract AFTER the accusations of racism and abuse were reported to him.

I haven't taken the time to layout a timeline.. I can not recall when the first meeting with the parents occurred and when the contract?
Timeline is not entirely clear, but this article lays it out somewhat.

Contract dated/signed Jan 7 2020. Parents brought the most recent allegations in December 2019 and Knowlton apparently was not at that meeting (though Simon-O'Neill was).

The reason I say not entirely clear is that if the contract was signed in January 2020, I think it likely was approved before then (Dec. 2019) and then went through the typical months'
long Cal process.

I think it is very much an open question as to how Knowlton handled the current allegations and how the prior allegations (many of which predate Knowlton's tenure) were handled by Cal, as well as when Knowlton learned of the current/prior allegations. It is possible in my mind that: (i) Simon-O'Neill didn't share the Dec 2019 allegations with Knowlton before the contract was signed; and/or (ii) if he did know, Knowlton followed the current Cal policies with respect to the Dec 2019 allegations (referral to the appropriate third parties, etc.) and proceeded with the contract that had been agreed to in principal before then. Will be very interested in hearing what Simon-O'Neill did in reporting up and how the holiday's potentially interceded (i.e., Cal would be shut down in late December).

There were earlier complaints made to Knowlton, prior to the 2020 contract extension:

This is the same article I linked to. By earlier do you mean prior to December 2019? If so, where does the article actually say that? Please quote the language.
BearGoggles
juarezbear said:

DiabloWags said:

Just an FYI:

This is exactly right. The issue isn't the pay out of her contract. If it were, Cal would simply pay her because the costs of the investigation will exceed her salary. But McKeever's attorney isn't even talking about the contract amount and Cal is continuing to pay her - the attorney and McKeever's supporters are explicitly claiming gender discrimination. It's all about the discrimination and other potential due process claims.

I think the secondary issues would be if there's wrongdoing found: (i) Cal will necessarily expand the investigation to include Knowlton, Simon-O'Neill and others; and (ii) Cal needs to consider how to best address its potential liability to swimmers who were subject to any abuse. If there was abuse, Cal will hopefully do the right thing and come to a quick settlement like it did with the Agu family.
bearister
In today's America, I'm putting my money on an East Bay Area jury landing on the side of the swimmers who claim they were victimized if McKeever files suit.

My guess is the number of witnesses with eyewitness knowledge of the probative facts that will be helpful to McKeever's defense is a small number; and McKeever on the witnesses stand justifying her "tough love" style will come off like Col. Jessup….and she would probably crack like he did.

UC just has to have the cajones to try the case before caving to an unreasonable settlement demand.

Or….

*I wonder if the swimmers got the standard, "What happens with the team, stays with the team," speech that coaches like her always give…and for good reason.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags
BearGoggles said:

As is typical for you, rather than answer an honest and simple question asking you for the source of a claim you made, you instead launch into an ad hominem (and false) attack on me.

You just dont get it.

Youre the guy that has spent tens of hours defending Trump in the OT thread, yet claim you dont like him.
You're one of the biggest "apologists" on this board and you did the same thing with McKeever. Half the time you have no idea what you are talking about. You're poor reading comprehension (claiming that reporter Scott Reid was one-sided and never asked the University or Knowlton for a comment) was just icing on the cake.

To top it off, in the McKeever thread you claimed that I was a Cal Aquatics Recruiting Insider all because I once lived on the same dorm floor in Unit 2 with Pete Cutino, Jr. and said that I had run into Peter on a transatlantic flight one day 30 years ago.

I'll be on the pool deck in Berkeley today rooting on my "recruits" in the NCAA Championship Match vs 'SC.

Have a nice day Beer Goggles.

BearGoggles
DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

You just dont get it.

Youre the guy that has spent tens of hours defending Trump in the OT thread, yet claim you dont like him.
You're one of the biggest "apologists" on this board and you did the same thing with McKeever. Half the time you have no idea what you are talking about. You're poor reading comprehension (claiming that reporter Scott Reid was one-sided and never asked the University or Knowlton for a comment) was just icing on the cake.

To top it off, in the McKeever thread you claimed that I was a Cal Aquatics Recruiting Insider all because I once lived on the same dorm floor in Unit 2 with Pete Cutino, Jr. and said that I had run into Peter on a transatlantic flight one day 30 years ago.

I'll be on the pool deck in Berkeley today rooting on my "recruits" in the NCAA Championship Match vs 'SC.

Have a nice day Beer Goggles.

LOL - you still haven't answered my questions asking for the source to support your claim re Knowlton. Just more false ad hominem and deflections - that's all you have. I think its very clear you have no evidence.

I believe in due process and civil liberties. I believe in actual evidence and fair hearings/tribunals, where both sides present their case. I believe in free speech, even when people say things I don't like. Not going to apologize for that. And unlike you, I'm comfortable enough in these opinions/values that I don't come to a football board, talk about my claimed "connections" or "wealth" as if they lend me credibility, and try to censor opinions I don't like.

tequila4kapp

There appears to be a path forward where Cal pays McEever for wrongful termination/discrimination AND pays the swimmers. That's just terrible. I'm not sure if that's a byproduct of these types of scenarios or bad Cal admin, but it is a bad result for a cash strapped Cal.
BearGoggles
bearister said:

In today's America, I'm putting my money on an East Bay Area jury landing on the side of the swimmers who claim they were victimized if McKeever files suit.

My guess is the number of witnesses with eyewitness knowledge of the probative facts that will be helpful to McKeever's defense is a small number; and McKeever on the witnesses stand justifying her "tough love" style will come off like Col. Jessup….and she would probably crack like he did.

UC just has to have the cajones to try the case before caving to an unreasonable settlement demand.

Or….

*I wonder if the swimmers got the standard, "What happens with the team, stays with the team," speech that coaches like her always give…and for good reason.

Maybe. Depends on the evidence I imagine. Since you advocate for UC trying a case for a change (tend to agree with you on that one), wouldn't you agree that it should do everything possible to prepare its strongest case? Doesn't that mean having a full investigation where you are absolutely scrupulous in following each and every technical requirement and having a bullet proof report?
DiabloWags
BearGoggles said:

Thanks for the early morning laugh.
Look in the mirror.

Exhibit A:

OT: Teri McKeever - Page 9 | Bear Insider
heartofthebear
BearlyCareAnymore said:

heartofthebear said:

I disagree with you on a couple of aspects here.

1. It is well known who has been swimming's primary benefactor over the years and therefor who is probably primarily responsible for there being a top swimming program, and they have been a huge benefactor for football and basketball as well. If you want to change that to Olympic sports, that might be a fair statement for some.

2. heart, I know you remember not that many years ago we had in short succession a football player die as a result of staff supervised strength and conditioning and another player having to go to the emergency room after a locker room incident and plenty was done to circle the wagons. I don't think it is accurate to say that swimming staff is getting preferential treatment to football in this type of situation

I have made the same general argument about some people's preference for Olympic sports, but I would argue that it is mostly classist (and elitist). Ivies participate in these sports and some like to view them as our peers. The unwashed masses paint their faces and whoop at football games.

But let's also get something clear. Football is not failing because we are drawing resources away from it to win in Olympic sports. The sports we traditionally excel in are largely self funded because we have succeeded in most of them for over 50 years and they have a lot of benefactors mostly not because they are classist or racist but because they participated in those sports. (I have some other criticisms of those sports, but they aren't relevant to football support). It should be understood that there are significant mutual benefactors of football and the sports we are traditionally good at, in addition to mutual benefactors of those sports and the university itself. De-emphasizing those sports would probably do more harm to what you want then good. That isn't the problem. Resources are getting pulled from football to pay for other sports that frankly contribute little to the university except that certain people have a fit if you even think about cutting sports.

But I could list off a myriad of known issues that provide obstacles for football and the removal of which would help significantly. I fear the bottom line is football just does not have enough support independent of those things. You look at Oregon. Anyone that is old enough remembers when Oregon sucked. They were a hippie school that didn't give a damn about this. Rich Brooks coached there for 18 years with a 91-109-4 record. Finished in the bottom half of the conference 13 times. Seat never warm. They didn't get smart. They got lucky with Phil Knight. For whatever reason, we just don't have that among our alumni base individually or collectively.
Thanks for providing the specifics I don't have. I was not implying that support for swimming is the problem but, as you stated much more clearly, that there is a bias that "the unwashed masses paint their faces and whoop at football games." I feel that such elitist attitudes strongly impact on decisions made inside the chancellors office and ADs office and I think that should be exposed for what it is and eliminated. I do think it is also racist because, without sounding racist myself, people of color are more likely to be involved in playing and rooting for football and basketball than swimming and gymnastics. And is that what makes it "unwashed masses" without saying that. If that sort of structural racism exists, it is also a violation of certain NCAA titles and can be grounds for policy changes. Also, Berkeley has a long tradition of civil rights, both on and off campus and that has strongly included fights against racism. Where are those people on this behavior? I think they should be more active in fighting against these sorts of elitist (more like bigoted) attitudes inside the Cal administration.
bearister
tequila4kapp said:

There appears to be a path forward where Cal pays McEever for wrongful termination/discrimination AND pays the swimmers. That's just terrible. I'm not sure if that's a byproduct of these types of scenarios or bad Cal admin, but it is a bad result for a cash strapped Cal.

Speaking of cash and settlements, do you know what a mind blowing stat is?

fUCLA ($700M) and U$C ($1.1B) paid an aggregate of almost $2B to settle claims against 2 gyno perps…..but the Catholic Church has only paid $3B to date to settle claims against hundreds of child rapists.*

*I realize McKeever has no sexual abuse claims against her. I have not read much about her case but I assume if she hasn't been sued it is because a lawyer has told the swimmers there is no cause of action for being a vicious, heartless b@itch (if in fact that is proven).
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
tequila4kapp
bearister said:

tequila4kapp said:

Speaking of cash and settlements, do you know what a mind blowing stat is?

fUCLA ($700M) and U$C ($1.1B) paid an aggregate of almost $2B to settle claims against 2 gyno perps…..but the Catholic Church to day has only paid $3B to date settle claims against hundreds of child rapists.*

*I realize McKeever has no sexual abuse claims against her. I have not read much about her case but I assume if she hasn't been sued it is because a lawyer has told the swimmers there is no cause of action for being a vicious, heartless b@itch (if in fact that is proven).
Apples and oranges. The Catholic Church abuses largely happened years and years ago. The passage of time creates practical difficulties for plaintiffs.
DiabloWags
Just an FYI:

For the reason you stated above, the law was changed in 2019 in the State of California to give victims of childhood abuse more time to report allegations. (AB-218).

Assembly Bill 218 extends the statute of limitations for reporting childhood sexual assault from the time a victim is age 26 to age 40, and increases the period for delayed reasonable discovery from three to five years.

Gov. Newsom also signed a bill that temporarily lifted the statute of limitations on lawsuits for damages over sex abuse allegations against former USC campus gynecologist, George Tyndall.

California grants more time for filing child sexual abuse allegations under new law - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
BearGoggles
DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

Look in the mirror.

Exhibit A:

Thank you for reminding everyone about (and linking to) my post made in an entirely different context where I demonstrated what a wind bag you are.

That's 3 posts where you deflected. I'll try again.

What is the source of your claim that "a number of swimmers reportedly made their concerns known to Jim Knowlton in early 2022" and Knowlton did nothing? How do you know this? Its a fair and reasonable question, yet you dodge it. Why?
calumnus
BearGoggles said:

DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

Look in the mirror.

Exhibit A:

Thank you for reminding everyone about (and linking to) my post made in an entirely different context where I demonstrated what a wind bag you are.

What is the source of your claim that "a number of swimmers reportedly made their concerns known to Jim Knowlton in early 2022" and Knowlton did nothing? How do you know this? Its a fair and reasonable question, yet you dodge it. Why?

You are asking to prove a negative, but there is lots of evidence he did nothing. ZERO evidence he did anything.

Again, you are ignoring the reports that Knowlton was informed in 2019 and clearly did nothing other than give McKeever an extension. Focusing on "early 2022" is moving the goalposts. He had been informed more than once.

If Knowlton had done something about it in early 2022: 1. The swimmers would know about it. How do you conduct an investigation without interviewing the alleged victims?
2. It would be announced, the same way the investigation of Hufnagel and Martin was announced immediately before the NCAA Tournament.
3. If there was an internal investigation, Cal would not have had to hire an external law firm to investigate, or there would be a been mention of the internal investigation when the law firm investigation was announced.

Again, ALL of the evidence is consistent with Knowlton having done nothing. Under what theory does the AD take action in 2019 and again in early 2022 and swimmers are still subjected to McKeever, have to go to reporters and only after public embarrassment something happens in August? Are you saying Knowlton "took action" but is just so ineffectual that nothing happened until August? Is that your theory?
BearGoggles
calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

Look in the mirror.

Exhibit A:

You are asking to prove a negative, but there is lots of evidence he did nothing. ZERO evidence he did anything.

Again, you are ignoring the reports that Knowlton was informed in 2019 and clearly did nothing other than give McKeever an extension. Focusing on "early 2022" is moving the goalposts. He had been informed more than once.

If Knowlton had done something about it in early 2022: 1. The swimmers would know about it. How do you conduct an investigation without interviewing the alleged victims?
2. It would be announced, the same way the investigation of Hufnagel and Martin was announced immediately before the NCAA Tournament.
3. If there was an internal investigation, Cal would not have had to hire an external law firm to investigate, or there would be a been mention of the internal investigation when the law firm investigation was announced.

Again, ALL of the evidence is consistent with Knowlton having done nothing. Under what theory does the AD take action in 2019 and again in early 2022 and swimmers are still subjected to McKeever, have to go to reporters and only after public embarrassment something happens in August? Are you saying Knowlton "took action" but is just so ineffectual that nothing happened until August? Is that your theory?

No. I'm asking Diablo to prove the accuracy of the unqualified statement he made that Knowlton did nothing. I didn't move the goalposts - I responded to his claim that swimmers complained in 2022 as well.

The conclusions written above are largely speculation on your part and in many cases based on faulty assumptions.

You don't know what swimmers know and I think your premise is false - athletes would not necessarily know about investigations. Cal would not necessarily disclose to them what actions were taken. UC policy/employment law might actually prevent that type of disclosure (not sure, but most employers don't talk about such matters with employees).

And to that point, an investigation absolutely would not be announced publicly and in fact doing so would probably be a violation of Cal policy. The Hufnagel thing was only announced after the investigation was completed and he was fired. Notably, seemingly most everyone was shocked with the suddenness because most had no inking there was an investigation.

There could be both an internal and then a subsequent external investigation. You're ignoring that per Section 8 of his contract, Knowlton's sole responsibility "if Athletic Director becomes aware that a student (undergraduate, graduate, or professional) has experienced sexual violence, sexual harassment, or other behavior prohibited by University policy . . . Athletic Director should not investigate the report, and should not try to intervene or resolve the issue. While information must be provided to the Title IX Office, Responsible Employees should not discuss the case with other people who do not have a legitimate need to know."

For all we know, Knowlton reported this to the Title IX office and that was the end of it for him per his contract. Per your formulation "the evidence is consistent with that" as well.

Why is it so hard for people to admit we don't know all the facts? I understand frustration that the process is dragging on. I don't understand why people want to draw unqualified conclusions based on one sided newspaper reports and other assumptions.

And for the record, I think it would be great for Cal if Knowlton can be fired for cause due to his handling of this matter. If he did, I won't defend him. Knowlton has done a terrible job and has an awful inexcusable contract. But I don't let that hope of mine substitute for facts or critical analysis.
BearlyCareAnymore
calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

Look in the mirror.

Exhibit A:

No one is asking anyone to prove a negative. What is being asked is that given there is an ongoing investigation, you wait for the results of the investigation before you draw conclusions that you think are obvious, but aren't. Maybe it true that all of the evidence "is consistent" with Knowlton having done nothing. In the sense that this is what it would have looked like had he done nothing. But it is also true that it is consistent with other scenarios as well. Like he immediately reported it through proper channels and THEY did nothing.

The Hufnagel situation is not a good example for you. That had been brewing for months before they announced it. That was one of the reasons people were wondering why the announcement couldn't have waited a couple weeks. (or even been made a couple weeks earlier so the basketball team could have absorbed it before the tournament) And in that case, all the evidence at the time was consistent with Martin having done nothing about it, but the investigation showed that he properly reported it.

I'll also point out that when a professor gave a couple football players fake grades, it looked to all the world like another ordinary case of a football team committing academic fraud but the investigation showed that neither Tom Holmoe or any part of the football team (other than the players in question) knew anything about it before hand, Holmoe immediately reported it when they found out about it, and the compliance officer failed to act because they were afraid to cross a powerful professor. And the professor's motivations had nothing to do with helping football.

To be honest, Knowlton seems to me to be a guy enough into self preservation that he may have acted through proper channels to protect his ass vs. protecting the athletes. But I don't have any idea. I think "Cal" as in, you know, the Borg that is Cal, has at minimum been way to slow and way to protective of a winning coach, and I suspect flat out botched this. Who among the Cal Borg collective is at fault and to what extent is something we can await the third party investigation to find out.

Knowlton is a tool and deserves to be fired for a lot of reasons. Will this be another one? We'll find out. I'm ready to roast his ass on the subject when the time comes. Frankly, I think most lawyers would tell you that the "evidence" in the public eye about Knowlton's culpability (or lack of culpability for that matter) is very far away from conclusive. And I will make the same case for anyone who tries to claim it is obvious he did nothing wrong. For those hoping this will get Cal out of an 8 year contract because they just want a new AD, I think that is misguided. The Cal Borg will just assimilate the next Jim Knowlton into the position. If you want him fired for protecting an out of control coach, I will too if that is what he did. Let's get the coach out first. This is taking way too long.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.