Saban full of crap

3,774 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by joe amos yaks
blungld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saban argues that everyone wants the "best teams" in the championship. No, not everyone wants the best teams, because there is no such thing as a best team. There are only teams that show they are the best by beating other teams. His team lost two games and did not win their conference. So they did not show they are the best team, he just thinks his team is better than other teams. That is an opinion.

All of that aside, let me tell Nick that no, we don't want the so-called best teams as decided by him and the old boys club SEC/NCAA collusion eye test. What everyone wants is a system where teams QUALIFY for the playoffs. And right now that qualification is having the best record, beating good teams, and winning your conference. You effed up Nick. You don't have the best record, other teams have equal or better wins, and they won (or at least played for) their conference title.

Nick also defined what he means by best team. Who the bookies would favor to win (subjective opinion that has nothing to do with past results) AND who is playing well right now. So Nick, your team lost its last game and didn't play today. How do you argue you are playing well right now when your team is at home still licking their wounds from a loss?

If Bama gets in, I quit college football.
southseasbear
blungld said:

Saban argues that everyone wants the "best teams" in the championship. No, not everyone wants the best teams, because there is no such thing as a best team. There are only teams that show they are the best by beating other teams. His team lost two games and did not win their conference. So they did not show they are the best team, he just thinks his team is better than other teams. That is an opinion.

All of that aside, let me tell Nick that no, we don't want the so-called best teams as decided by him and the old boys club SEC/NCAA collusion eye test. What everyone wants is a system where teams QUALIFY for the playoffs. And right now that qualification is having the best record, beating good teams, and winning your conference. You effed up Nick. You don't have the best record, other teams have equal or better wins, and they won (or at least played for) their conference title.

Nick also defined what he means by best team. Who the bookies would favor to win (subjective opinion that has nothing to do with past results) AND who is playing well right now. So Nick, your team lost its last game and didn't play today. How do you argue you are playing well right now when your team is at home still licking their wounds from a loss?

I can't blame him for loyally advocating for his team. I wish our coaches had the same passion.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
Nofado
Two words: Mack Brown
southseasbear
Nofado said:

I don't blame him either. His passionate for and loyal to his team. Meanwhile, Tedford was silent.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Cal88
Tedford had class.
blungld
southseasbear said:

I can't blame him for loyally advocating for his team. I wish our coaches had the same passion.
Sure. Advocate. But maybe don't speak for "everyone" and at least acknowledge the other well-deserving teams and the pros and cons of your team rather than just declaring your team the best.
Strykur
Cal88 said:

Tedford had class.
No one gives a ******* about a classy loser in this world.
southseasbear
blungld said:

southseasbear said:

Sure. Advocate. But maybe don't speak for "everyone" and at least acknowledge the other well-deserving teams and the pros and cons of your team rather than just declaring your team the best.
I think that is consistent with what Saban said.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
blungld
southseasbear said:

blungld said:

southseasbear said:

I think that is consistent with what Saban said.
I didn't like or agree with him saying "everyone" (don't speak for me or all football fans) or his definition of "best."
TandemBear
Oh thank you, thank you for posting!

I happened to catch his inane interview during the Michigan half time (as I had three games going concurrently: Argentina, Georgia and Michigan games while working on the computer). Multi-tasking run amok.

Anyway, after listening to his self-serving arrogance, I just said to myself, "Well then let's just let the entire SEC be in the playoffs exclusively every year and let them decide who the national champion is. Since they're "such a great conference with all the top 10 teams." No one else need apply.

A-hole!!!!!

Watch, this is going to get a bunch of one and two loss teams in the playoffs while leaving the Utahs of the world SOL. SOL is a foregone conclusion!

What a racket. Baloney. Why do I even watch this BS????
BearlyCareAnymore
blungld said:

Personally, I want a 16 team playoff and that would resolve the issue. But given the scarcity of spots, they should go to conference champions. We played a whole season to determine the best team in each conference. If you didn't earn that honor you shouldn't have claim to national champion. Sure if you played your conference champ again, you might win. But we already did that. Given how few games are played between conferences, they should play it out on the field between champs.

tequila4kapp
I think it IS the mission of the CFP a committee to pick the 4 best teams. Now how we determine who is best…
GMP
Agreed with those who think he is properly advocating for his team. I also can't imagine why Cal fans are upset about this, lol. We are so far from this discussion.

IMO, Saban is the best college football coach of all time and seems like a good guy. Seems like his players love playing for him, too. I don't understand why a vocal segment of college football fans think he's so bad.
MrGPAC
The SEC in general has gamed the system. They know what they are doing. Saban sells his recruits on having an opportunity to be in the championship game every single year. That's why he's able to get the best players. He can tell his players even if they have 1-2 losses they are more likely to get in than other schools because of his reputation, and the reputation of the SEC. That's how he's able to get guys like Harris who grew up idolizing Marshawn, but wanted a chance to play for it all.

Getting us to a 12 team playoff is going to do wonders for parity in college football. Including more teams more conferences and prioritizing conference championships is going to make it easier for the top recruits to go to whatever school they want to to compete instead of just a handful of schools including Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and a few other SEC schools like Georgia or LSU.

May be too little too late with the state of college football with megaconferences and NIL...but at least its something.
HoopDreams
blungld said:

100%

I think the most deserving team is more important than the best team

if you are the best team, it should be no problem for you to also be the most deserving team in the games

one of the thing that makes the NCAA basketball tournament great, is the winner is decided in the games, not in the minds of the 'experts'
Cal8285
blungld said:

If Bama gets in, come back in 2024 when we have a 12 team playoff and the top 6 ranked conference winners all get in.

If I were king of college football, with the 4 team CFP, only conference winners, independents ranked in the top 4, and undefeated teams who didn't win a conference due to some weird tiebreaker that kept them out of a conference championship game would be eligible. Which means this year no Bama, no Ohio St, no TCU. This year we'd probably have, in addition to Georgia and Michigan, probably Clemson and Utah, or maybe Kansas St. I'd be okay with that. Win your damned conference.

But this only matters until we get to 12 teams, and then it will be okay.
79 Bear
I didn't have a problem with Saban advocating for his team. What I found problematic was Fox giving him that platform during a nationally broadcast game. The tOSU coaches didn't get that opportunity and you can bet the tOSU fan base was going ape crazy about that. TCU is probably in but Sonny probably would've appreciated the chance to make his pitch as well just to be sure. Even Lincoln Riley could've had a basis to make his claim since SC had a better regular season record and then lost while playing an extra game with an injured QB.
95bears
79 Bear said:

I didn't have a problem with Saban advocating for his team. What I found problematic was Fox giving him that platform during a nationally broadcast game. The tOSU coaches didn't get that opportunity and you can bet the tOSU fan base was going ape crazy about that. TCU is probably in but Sonny probably would've appreciated the chance to make his pitch as well just to be sure. Even Lincoln Riley could've had a basis to make his claim since SC had a better regular season record and then lost while playing an extra game with an injured QB.
EXACTLY. The opportunity he had was more of an indictment of how rigged ESPN/FOX have made the whole thing. Recruits go where airtime tells them to go.
bluehenbear
Nofado said:

Mack ****ing Brown was not "advocating" for his team. He was actively lobbying poll participants in such a way as to manipulate the results.
72CalBear
Strykur said:

Cal88 said:

Tedford had class.
Fresno State just won the MW Conf Championship. Loser??
OdontoBear66
Nofado said:

On your knees Nick
southseasbear
bluehenbear said:

Nofado said:

Mack ****ing Brown was not "advocating" for his team. He was actively lobbying poll participants in such a way as to manipulate the results.
How do you define the difference between "advocating" and "lobbying?"

I wish Tedford had spoken out back then.

And I think Fox should have given equal time to Ryan Day and Sonny Dykes.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
southseasbear
72CalBear said:

Strykur said:

Cal88 said:

Tedford had class.
Fresno State just won the MW Conf Championship. Loser??
I love when coaches we fired achieve success: Marv Levy, Jeff Tedford, Sonny Dykes.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
GivemTheAxe
HoopDreams said:

blungld said:

100%

if you are the best team, it should be no problem for you to also be the most deserving team in the games

one of the thing that makes the NCAA basketball tournament great, is the winner is decided in the games, not in the minds of the 'experts'

Way back when. I was in the group of college football fans that argued for ignoring who was "the Best" team that year and that college football leave the regional bowl game structure unchanged. This way fans of many colleges could spend the off season arguing that their particular team was The Best.

But so many pundits and schools and TV moguls convinced the rest of the college football world that it was important to determine which school was truly and unquestionably The Best.

League Championship games were added to college football schedules where they had not been needed before in part because leagues go so big that the teams in that league did not play all the other teams in that league

Then a 2-team national championship game was added. Then a 4-team championship schedule was added. That number has grown and will continue to grow to 6. To 12. Why not 60. Why not 120? All in search for the mystical and mythical "The Best" or even "The Best Deserving".

Are we (college football and it's fans) really any better off. Are are we all happier than we were at the start when we had regional bowl games.

Now we have evolved into super leagues that span across the nation. Much of that is driven by our obsession to be mystical and mythical "The Best".

That drive will probably in the not too distant future leave college football in a pathetic wreck from what it once was.
At least way back then. Half of the teams that played in those regional bowl games(I.e the winners) could feel good about their teams and the ir fans could argue how their team should be The Best.

The drive to determine The Best has failed in its task and is destroying college football in its wake.

There is a large group of us who can sadly say "we told you so." (But that is not much comfort for us because we all love college football.
southseasbear
GivemTheAxe said:

HoopDreams said:

blungld said:

100%

Way back when. I was in the group of CFB fans that argued for ignoring who was "the Best" team that year and that CFB leave the regional bowl game structure unchanged. This way fans of many colleges could spend the off season arguing that their particular team was The Best.

But so many pundits and schools and TV moguls convinced the rest of the CFB world that it was important to determine which school was truly and unquestionably The Best.

League Championship games were added to CFB schedules where they had not been needed before in part because leagues go so big that the teams in that league did not play all the other teams in that league

Then a 2-team national championship game was added. Then a 4-team championship schedule was added. That number has grown and will continue to grow to 6. To 12. Why not 60. Why not 120? All in search for the mystical and mythical "The Best" or even "The Best Deserving".

Are we (CFB and it's fans) really any better off. Are are we all happier than we were at the start when we had regional bowl games.

Now we have evolved into super leagues that span across the nation. Much of that is driven by our obsession to be mystical and mythical "The Best".

That drive will probably in the not too distant future leave CFB in a pathetic wreck from what it once was.
At least way back then. Half of the teams that played in those regional bowl games(I.e the winners) could feel good about their teams and the ir fans could argue how their team should be The Best.

The drive to determine The Best has failed in its task and is destroying CFB in its wake.

There is a large group of us who can sadly say "we told you so."
I miss the traditional bowl system: the excitement of the smaller (less prestigious) bowls leading up to New Year's Day (with up-and-coming teams and those trying to hold on to their prior glory) and then the color and pageantry of the big day: the Sugar Bowl (a warm up to the day), the Cotton Bowl, the Rose Bowl (of course, the most important game of the day), and then Orange Bowl (with the extra long half time celebration including a light show)! And, as you said, half of the teams (including the players, students, and fans) went home as winners. I was against a playoff system then and miss the old way. But the NCAA chased the money.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
heartofthebear
Let's be clear. Pre-season polls provide the foundation for all subsequent polling.
Because of the intimate way that rankings affect playoffs, the fact that
SEC teams are routinely over-rated in pre-season polls means they have an unfair advantage throughout the year and at the end. There are also biases for other teams/conferences, but not as frequent. The placement of SEC teams in the pre-season top 25 is a consistent, ongoing and chronic disease impacting college football.
I have also noticed that SEC teams suffer less when losing, moving back in the polls much less than other teams. They also move up much more quickly.

Because of this, it is a self full-filling prophecy that the SEC is the best conference. Often 2 undeserving top 25 teams play each other in an SEC conference game. The winner gets elevated because they beat a ranked team and the loser does not drop because they lost to a ranked team. Having a disproportionate number of teams in the rankings assures that SEC teams will remain ranked.

I have a solution for this problem that will never be adopted because the NCAA is about TV ratings not fairness or parity. But this is how I do it:

• Teams that have beaten a P5 team that is also a winning team on the road get 2 points per win
  • Teams that have beaten all other winning teams on the road get 1 points per win
  • Teams that have beaten a P5 team that is also a a winning team at home get 1 point, 2 points if it is one of the top teams in the country
  • Teams that have lost at home get -1 point unless it is a top team or a winning team.
  • Teams that lose to a bad team on the road get -1 point
  • Teams that lose to a bad team at home get -2 points
  • All other scenarios net 0 points

I add up the points and it becomes pretty clear who is better. I have used this ranking system for years and it has become a good predictor for the season. For example, it was clear to me early on that Tennessee was the real deal and could beat Alabama this season. Actually it is to Alabama's credit that they made the game close.
It was also clear that Michigan St. was over-rated. Several SEC schools were over-rated as usual, including Texas A&M and Auburn

If Oregon St. had been in the SEC, they probably would have been a top 25 team all season long.

The point is, if anything, Saban is unfairly advantaged already, regardless of what happens this year.
I will say that the rankings do give credit for historical excellence and Saban has earned that credit.

I should add that the way to do a fair pre-season poll is to base it on the number of players that are highly touted on the roster, whether that be out of high school or because of prior performance, with a greater emphasis on experience and performance. IOW, you have to do a detailed roster analysis. In the SEC, since the rosters are very volatile from year to year, you cannot rely on the prior year to indicate the present year. Teams like Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas etc. are going to be different teams every year. And when you go from having a 5th year senior at QB to a true freshman, you should not be ranked the same way.
BearSD
southseasbear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

HoopDreams said:

blungld said:

I miss the traditional bowl system: the excitement of the smaller (less prestigious) bowls leading up to New Year's Day (with up-and-coming teams and those trying to hold on to their prior glory) and then the color and pageantry of the big day: the Sugar Bowl (a warm up to the day), the Cotton Bowl, the Rose Bowl (of course, the most important game of the day), and then Orange Bowl (with the extra long half time celebration including a light show)! And, as you said, half of the teams (including the players, students, and fans) went home as winners. I was against a playoff system then and miss the old way. But the NCAA chased the money.
The 4-team playoff is the worst of all worlds. It scuttled the fun of the bowl games that you mentioned, without replacing it with a genuine playoff.

Given that the old way is never coming back, a 12-team playoff is a step in the right direction. A larger playoff would be even better; maybe that will happen down the road, when TV puts more money on the table.
ninetyfourbear
heartofthebear said:

Let's be clear. Pre-season polls provide the foundation for all subsequent polling.
SEC teams are routinely over-rated in pre-season polls means they have an unfair advantage throughout the year and at the end. There are also biases for other teams/conferences, but not as frequent. The placement of SEC teams in the pre-season top 25 is a consistent, ongoing and chronic disease impacting college football.
I have also noticed that SEC teams suffer less when losing, moving back in the polls much less than other teams. They also move up much more quickly.

Because of this, it is a self full-filling prophecy that the SEC is the best conference. Often 2 undeserving top 25 teams play each other in an SEC conference game. The winner gets elevated because they beat a ranked team and the loser does not drop because they lost to a ranked team. Having a disproportionate number of teams in the rankings assures that SEC teams will remain ranked.

I have a solution for this problem that will never be adopted because the NCAA is about TV ratings not fairness or parity. But this is how I do it:

• Teams that have beaten a P5 team that is also a winning team on the road get 2 points per win
  • Teams that have beaten all other winning teams on the road get 1 points per win
  • Teams that have beaten a P5 team that is also a a winning team at home get 1 point, 2 points if it is one of the top teams in the country
  • Teams that have lost at home get -1 point unless it is a top team or a winning team.

I add up the points and it becomes pretty clear who is better. I have used this ranking system for years and it has become a good predictor for the season. For example, it was clear to me early on that Tennessee was the real deal and could beat Alabama this season. Actually it is to Alabama's credit that they made the game close.
It was also clear that Michigan St. was over-rated. Several SEC schools were over-rated as usual, including Texas A&M and Auburn

If Oregon St. had been in the SEC, they probably would have been a top 25 team all season long.

The point is, if anything, Saban is unfairly advantaged already, regardless of what happens this year.
I will say that the rankings do give credit for historical excellence and Saban has earned that credit.

I should add that the way to do a fair pre-season poll is to base it on the number of players that are highly touted on the roster, whether that be out of high school or because of prior performance, with a greater emphasis on experience and performance. IOW, you have to do a detailed roster analysis. In the SEC, since the rosters are very volatile from year to year, you cannot rely on the prior year to indicate the present year. Teams like Texas A&M, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas etc. are going to be different teams every year. And when you go from having a 5th year senior at QB to a true freshman, you should not be ranked the same way.

The SEC also plays only eight conference games. Most of the schools schedule home game cupcakes so they're all 4-0 or 3-1 outside of conference play. Eleven of their fourteen teams are bowl eligible. The other three are 5-7. It is smart scheduling and the Pac 12 should do the same.

Edited to add: In your points counting, I'd deduct points from teams that play more home games than road games.
blungld
The NCAA should have stepped in and been the universal scheduler for all college games decades ago. They should have set up a system where everyone plays the same number of games, the same number of conference games, and some relative system that eliminates end of season out of conference cupcakes. Like the NFL, the teams should not be creating their own paths to the championship and if you are a top team you should play top teams in your out of conference. Your season result dictates how tough your opponents are the next year.

But of course the SEC would kill this. They want every advantage and none of the fairness or open competition: The SECheat.
bearsandgiants
I would put $ on Colorado being in the first expanded playoff in 2024. Things just keep getting worse for us, relatively. Smh
blungld
tequila4kapp said:

I think it IS the mission of the CFP a committee to pick the 4 best teams. Now how we determine who is best…
Is it? What exactly is the charter for the playoff committee? Is it their job to select the "best" 4 teams or is to select the most qualified, or the most deserving? I wonder.

That aside, "best" is a complete fiction. It does not exist. What is the best painting? What is the best dinner ever cooked? What is the best color? These are all subjective opinions. All you know is your own favorite and your reason for selecting it, but it does not make it the best. It might be the most popular if others agree with you.

In the world of sports, is Manchester City the best club team if they dominate the Premier League or are they the best if they win Champion's League? Are you the best in a sport if you beat an opponent three times in a year, but then lose to that opponent in the final championship game?

In the world of football, were the New England Patriots the best team because they went 16-1 or were the Ny Giants the best because they won the Super Bowl? Do we go by one set of results over another (season record, conference record, highest scoring offense, or winner of championship?) or one set of opinions over another (they have the most good players, the best coach, the most tradition, play in toughest conference?), or do we set up an objective set of criteria and a pathway and then crown the "best" after the fact? The Champion is the best. It is a post-hoc adjective and not a pre-determined eye test.

For all the above I hate it when fans or decision makers use the word "best." It literally does not exist. It is placeholdfer word for advocating for your subjective favorite or opinion. If NO ONE EVER knows who is best until a sporting even is completed, why would we ever use that as a criteria? For that reason I have always felt that if you have a four team playoff, you can only invite conference champions because those are the only teams that have handled every hurdle in front of them and QUALIFIED for the championship through results and a non-subjective process. And tough poo poo if you THINK you are the second best team in the country but lost to the best team in the country--the reality is that you did not qualify or prove your claim to the national championship crown.
heartofthebear
ninetyfourbear said:

heartofthebear said:

The SEC also plays only eight conference games. Most of the schools schedule home game cupcakes so they're all 4-0 or 3-1 outside of conference play. Eleven of their fourteen teams are bowl eligible. The other three are 5-7. It is smart scheduling and the Pac 12 should do the same.

Edited to add: In your points counting, I'd deduct points from teams that play more home games than road games.
It's not a perfect system and I do some extracurricular stuff like that. But, in any case, it provides a more objective guideline because all teams are treated equally, not politically.
Big Dog
blungld said:

Huh? The mission of the CFP committee clearly says "best teams". It is the Committee's job to pick the 4 best teams following their guidelines. The fact that 'best' can't possibly be defined by us is irrelevant; teh committee defines "best" 4.

Personally, I think Saban did a good job advocating -- call it "begging" if you want -- for his team. There are a lot of dollars at stake, so he would be remiss if he did not. So yes, he raised the only point he could in asking if Alabama be favored over TCU in a neutral site match up?

But I agree, that it is not the bookies' job to determine 'best"; its the Committee's.

blungld
Big Dog said:

Huh? The mission of the CFP committee clearly says "best teams". It is the Committee's job to pick the 4 best teams following their guidelines. The fact that 'best' can't possibly be defined by us is irrelevant; teh committee defines "best" 4.

Personally, I think Saban did a good job advocating -- call it "begging" if you want -- for his team. There are a lot of dollars at stake, so he would be remiss if he did not. So yes, he raised the only point he could in asking if Alabama be favored over TCU in a neutral site match up?

But I agree, that it is not the bookies' job to determine 'best"; its the Committee's.

I think you are confusing the words best and qualified.
Anarchistbear
Conference championships are pointless in a four team playoff. Two of these four teams aren't champions. TCU lost its conference championship and advanced while OSU advanced by not even playing in theirs; otoh USC lost a bid by playing in theirs. Conference champs Utah and Kansas State stay home and hoist a flag next fall

An 8 team playoff would. help but let's face it with 4 teams the championship games are irrelevant much like in basketball. Saban though doesn't have a case this time. If he beats LSU he plays Georgia. If he wins or even if it's close he gets the nod over the Buckeyes. The s$itbird Brian Kelly cost him with a 2 pt conversion; unfortunate because Kirby Smsrt wouldn't be dropping 50 on his old mentor and we'd have had a good game to watch.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.