For those that think being a college football player is not a job

2,272 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BearSD
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CBMigQFodHRwczovL3Nwb3J0cy55YWhvby5jb20vbmV3LWNvbG9yYWRvLWNvYWNoLWRlaW9uLXNhbmRlcnMtdGVsbHMtY3VycmVudC1idWZmYWxvZXMtcGxheWVycy10by1lbnRlci10cmFuc2Zlci1wb3J0YWwtMDU1MjAyMTUxLmh0bWzSAYkBaHR0cHM6Ly9zcG9ydHMueWFob28uY29tL2FtcGh0bWwvbmV3LWNvbG9yYWRvLWNvYWNoLWRlaW9uLXNhbmRlcnMtdGVsbHMtY3VycmVudC1idWZmYWxvZXMtcGxheWVycy10by1lbnRlci10cmFuc2Zlci1wb3J0YWwtMDU1MjAyMTUxLmh0bWw
NVBear78
I have a hard time believing this approach will really work at a big school like Colorado. This whole approach seems fraught we potential for disaster. I have not followed Deon closely so maybe there are things I don't know but not everyone will embrace this approach.
kal kommie
Some people will say Deion's address was crass, classless and spiteful while others will say it was only honest, uncompromising and competitive. Whether it will go down in the dominant narrative as something held in admiration or contempt will hinge on how successful Colorado is under Deion's leadership. Success ratifies most behavior, contemptible or not.

It should be remembered that it's entirely possible to be crass, classless and spiteful at the same time as honest, uncompromising and competitive, but it's not necessary to be any of the former things to still be all of the latter.
OldenBear
Andy Smith is rolling in his grave
eabandit
Wow that was pretty harsh. He said, paraphrased, "the fans shouldn't have to put up with [twenty years of mediocrity] anymore".

While there is truth to it and while fans shouldn't put up with twenty years of mediocrity, delivered alongside a message like "you should hit the portal" partially assigns blame to the student athletes -- not the administration.

While both pro and college sports _should_ be competitive, I am not sure it's quite correct to blame the athletes at Colorado for two decades of mediocrity. (Or suggest it was their fault.)
tequila4kapp
Isn't it P12 policy that scholarships are guaranteed for 5 years?

Nobody wants to put in the hours to sit on the bench so he can tell them whatever he wants but ultimately it is their careers / education and they can do what they want.
Jeff82
eabandit said:

Wow that was pretty harsh. He said, paraphrased, "the fans shouldn't have to put up with [twenty years of mediocrity] anymore".

While there is truth to it and while fans shouldn't put up with twenty years of mediocrity, delivered alongside a message like "you should hit the portal" partially assigns blame to the student athletes -- not the administration.

While both pro and college sports _should_ be competitive, I am not sure it's quite correct to blame the athletes at Colorado for two decades of mediocrity. (Or suggest it was their fault.)
If the athletes are going to demand payment, then it's only logical to expect the fans to demand performance. The emotional attachment many fans had to players from their school as student-athletes has been severed, to varying degrees. The only thing that may matter going forward is winning a lot.
Unit2Sucks
Players who believe in themselves may love his message. I have no doubt, like Harbaugh, that Deion's message and approach will work in college football. I don't know to what extent he can sustain it over a number of years. Harbaugh seems to have figured it out.
BearlyCareAnymore
Jeff82 said:

eabandit said:

If the athletes are going to demand payment, then it's only logical to expect the fans to demand performance. The emotional attachment many fans had to players from their school as student-athletes has been severed, to varying degrees. The only thing that may matter going forward is winning a lot.
I'm just wondering when people will realize that maybe college football isn't what is used to be. If there are schools that are proud to bid on players at auction so that they can watch them play substandard, minor league, professional football while wearing their logo, let them have it. Let them have their league where they play each other. Then the rest of us can get back to playing college football at our stadiums with our student athletes and not worrying about whether national media are talking about our football team.

I know you guys aren't there yet. Call me in another 10 years when we are another $100M in debt with another 10 bottom half finishes under our belt.
bearsandgiants
$ ruins everything
LunchTime
The message is fine: He's here to be good. Not mediocre. If you dont want to work, leave.

But then he adds in that he's bringing his kids to start? ***? The guys who had to play for daddy at FCS school? He's trying to say these two are so clearly Pac12 starters that everyone else has to transfer, but they went to a guaranteed spot on dad's team?

Who the **** would do a call and response with that?

AND THATS HIS OPENER!

"My kids need a place to play, and nepotism is my greatest strength. Whos on board!?"
LunchTime
Unit2Sucks said:

Players who believe in themselves may love his message. I have no doubt, like Harbaugh, that Deion's message and approach will work in college football. I don't know to what extent he can sustain it over a number of years. Harbaugh seems to have figured it out.
Any player that believes in himself is transferring.

Why TF would you stay when the new coach's message is nepotism?

If you were Goff, and Dykes was replaced earlier, and the new coach said "My kids the presumptive starter... from this FCS school he was playing at because I also made my kid the QB there... you should leave" you would leave.

Why would you stay to try and compete with his kids? You think he's going to bench his son? LMFAO.
NVBear78
LunchTime said:

Unit2Sucks said:

If you were Goff, and Dykes was replaced earlier, and the new coach said "My kids the presumptive starter... from this FCS school he was playing at because I also made my kid the QB there... you should leave" you would leave.

Why would you stay to try and compete with his kids? You think he's going to bench his son? LMFAO.

Agreed!
BearSD
If I am reading the rules correctly, Deion's invitation to every CU player to transfer out is exploiting a temporary loophole in the rules.

The temporary loophole, enacted because of both covid and the initiation of the new free-transfer rule, permits FBS football teams, for 2022-23 and 2023-24 only, to award as many new athletic scholarships as they want, up to the full limit of 85. The usual limit that doesn't apply next year is a maximum of 20 new football scholarships each year.

So, next fall only, even if 50 CU players transfer out, Deion could replace all 50 with freshman and transfer players. Under the usual rule, he wouldn't be able to replace all of them.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/5/18/media-center-di-council-lifts-football-signing-initial-counter-limits-for-two-years.aspx
Unit2Sucks
LunchTime said:

Unit2Sucks said:

How many kids does he have? Alternatively, how many positions other than QB will his son play? His son is better than any QB on the roster so I don't think it's nepotism, and it's just one position. It's really no different from Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams.
tequila4kapp
Unit2Sucks said:

LunchTime said:

Unit2Sucks said:

How many kids does he have? Alternatively, how many positions other than QB will his son play? His son is better than any QB on the roster so I don't think it's nepotism, and it's just one position. It's really no different from Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams.
Caleb Williams had established himself at a premiere P5 school. There was zero question from anyone about his skill set. That's different from playing in the SWAC. The kid was a 4* out of HS and maybe he can play at this level, but it requires assessment and projecting his skill set. It is different from Williams IMO
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LunchTime said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Caleb Williams had established himself at a premiere P5 school. There was zero question from anyone about his skill set. That's different from playing in the SWAC. The kid was a 4* out of HS and maybe he can play at this level, but it requires assessment and projecting his skill set. It is different from Williams IMO
Shedeur was highly recruited with offers from Alabama, Georgia, Florida State, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Oregon, Tennessee and UCLA. He went to Jackson State to play for his dad not be cause he didn't have other options. You can look at his performance to see that the kid can play so I think you're being just a bit provincial here.
LunchTime
Unit2Sucks said:

LunchTime said:

Unit2Sucks said:

"Im bringing my luggage"

"Some positions are taken care of"

"Go to the portal"

It doesnt sound like two guys.

If you are at Colorado for the education, you might stay. If you are at colorado to play and dont think you can start somewhere else, you might stay. If you are at Colorado to play footall and you "believe in yourself" (ie that you are good enough to win a starting job in a major conference), why would you risk having your job taken by his "luggage"? 0% chance any safety or QB has a spot. We know that because of his children, but he didnt say those were the positions taken care of, he wasnt specific. He probably likes other guys on his AA team.

There is this model called "Game Theory." Its not actually about the game of football, but it can apply to this situation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory

The potential to be replaced by nepotism and not skill is significant.
Unit2Sucks
LunchTime said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LunchTime said:

Unit2Sucks said:

"Im bringing my luggage"

"Some positions are taken care of"

"Go to the portal"

It doesnt sound like two guys.

If you are at Colorado for the education, you might stay. If you are at colorado to play and dont think you can start somewhere else, you might stay. If you are at Colorado to play footall and you "believe in yourself" (ie that you are good enough to win a starting job in a major conference), why would you risk having your job taken by his "luggage"? 0% chance any safety or QB has a spot. We know that because of his children, but he didnt say those were the positions taken care of, he wasnt specific. He probably likes other guys on his AA team.

There is this model called "Game Theory." Its not actually about the game of football, but it can apply to this situation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory

The potential to be replaced by nepotism and not skill is significant.
Sure but it's not nepotism at all, which is the claim made.

Kevin Coleman and Travis Hunter were elite prospects/recruits. Hunter was literally the top-rated recruit in the country by Rivals and 247. There isn't a team out there that he wouldn't start for in 2023. I don't think people really understand how successful Deion has been in recruiting kids to play for him.

No offense to anyone here, but if forced to choose between Deion's vision/messaging to college football players and what we think, I'm going with Deion 100% of the time.
tequila4kapp
CBS Sports reports this morning there are over 1,000 players currently in the portal.

Given that players forfeit their scholarship upon entering the portal there's a high probability a high number of P5 players will end up in a worse situation vs staying where they are. Obviously, different people have different motivations and different situations. But generally, the majority of people Sanders is pushing out would very likely be better served to stay where they are. If they can't make it at Colorado their odds of finding a better P5 landing spot are very low. Since P12 scholarships are guaranteed for 4(?) years the players have the power here, not Sanders.

This is also worth considering relative to Cal. The market is flooded with guys looking for a new home. When MLB was forced to unionize the things the Union feared most were that everyone would become free agents or that MLB would push for 1 year contracts. Too many players being available diluted player value. We may be at a point of seeing something similar with the Portal.
wifeisafurd
tequila4kapp said:

CBS Sports reports this morning there are over 1,000 players currently in the portal.

Given that players forfeit their scholarship upon entering the portal there's a high probability a high number of P5 players will end up in a worse situation vs staying where they are. Obviously, different people have different motivations and different situations. But generally, the majority of people Sanders is pushing out would very likely be better served to stay where they are. If they can't make it at Colorado their odds of finding a better P5 landing spot are very low. Since P12 scholarships are guaranteed for 4(?) years the players have the power here, not Sanders.

This is also worth considering relative to a Cal. The market is flooded with guys looking for a new home. When MLB was forced to unionize the things the Union feared most was that everyone would become free agents or that MLB would push for 1 year contracts. Too many players being available diluted players value. We may be at a point of seeing something similar with the Portal.
Good thoughts. That this was supposed to be about a way for a paid for education or "way out" or whatever they were selling on Friday Night Lights seems long gone.
bearsandgiants
tequila4kapp said:

This is also worth considering relative to Cal. The market is flooded with guys looking for a new home. When MLB was forced to unionize the things the Union feared most were that everyone would become free agents or that MLB would push for 1 year contracts. Too many players being available diluted player value. We may be at a point of seeing something similar with the Portal.

Wow. Didn't realize you forfeit your scholarship just for entering the portal. Makes sense, but I hope these kids realize this when they click that button. Might make sense if you already have a written contract with NIL $. Wonder if any of these guys don't know this rule and are thinking to just test the waters and go back if they don't get taken, only to find themselves in no man's land. Hope Cal made it clear to everyone, too, or they could be facing lawsuits, however frivolous.
tequila4kapp
bearsandgiants said:

tequila4kapp said:

Wow. Didn't realize you forfeit your scholarship just for entering the portal. Makes sense, but I hope these kids realize this when they click that button. Might make sense if you already have a written contract with NIL $. Wonder if any of these guys don't know this rule and are thinking to just test the waters and go back if they don't get taken, only to find themselves in no man's land. Hope Cal made it clear to everyone, too, or they could be facing lawsuits, however frivolous.
Maybe my language isn't exactly right but the scholarship and aid are clearly at risk once a player enters the portal:
======

If I enter the portal, will my NLI still be honored at my current school?

Once you enter the transfer portal, your current school has the right to void or reduce your scholarship and are not obligated to keep you as on the team if you decide to stay. Schools are also able to reduce/eliminate your scholarship for the next academic term once you enter the transfer portal. All of this is at the discretion of the coach and athletic program.
BearSD
Unit2Sucks said:

Sure but it's not nepotism at all, which is the claim made.

Kevin Coleman and Travis Hunter were elite prospects/recruits. Hunter was literally the top-rated recruit in the country by Rivals and 247. There isn't a team out there that he wouldn't start for in 2023. I don't think people really understand how successful Deion has been in recruiting kids to play for him.
Exactly. When Deion said, "I'm bringing my luggage, and it's Louis" [i.e., Louis Vuitton], he meant that he had elite players at Jackson State who would be joining him at Colorado.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.