Story Poster
Photo by Instagram / Martin Tine
Cal Football

Bears Add All-Conference East LA CC OT Martin Tine

February 1, 2023

The Bears filled a big need today with the commitment of 6-7/330 East LA City College offensive tackle Martin Tine‍ on his official visit this weekend to Cal.

The big OT earned 1st team All-Conference honors for East LA in his sophomore season ahead of prior offeree Max Iheanachor, who earned 2nd team honors last season. Tine can play either left or right tackle for the Bears in ‘23 and will likely get looks on both sides when he arrives this summer. Tine’s 35-inch arms, 83-inch wingspan and strength could be just what new OL coach Mike Bloesch is looking for to bolster his OL corps and push to start.

Tine’s frosh season in 2021 was his first season playing O-line, where he earned an impressive 2nd team All-Conference selection for East LA CC. He played defensive end for a year in high school as well as basketball, where he averaged 8 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists a game as a prep.

“Martin was our team captain,” said East LA City College head coach Bobby Godinez. “He’s a high-character kid and his ceiling is limitless. At 6-7/320 and with a basketball background, he has great feet and all-around athleticism, but also has the IQ to match. Cal will be getting a potential All-American if he can keep progressing the way he did here.”

Tine visited along with fellow ‘23 Cal commit Marquis Montgomery‍ over the weekend, where the Bears closed on the big OT.

“It was great over at Cal,” said Tine. “My Juco’s in SoCal and that was my first time being in the bay area and experiencing NorCal. The bay’s a lot different than LA or Houston where I’m from. I kind of like it more.

“My host was TJ Session. We had a great time. The last night I was there, we had a little bonfire in his backyard and I was just chilling with him and a couple of other O-linemen there, having a good time. I felt like I fit in real well.”

Tine noted his relationship with new Cal OL coach Mike Bloesch as a factor in his commitment, too.

“He came over to my house for a visit and we just hit the ground running,” Tine said. “We talked some X’s and O’s and watched some film but most of the time, he was just getting to know me as a person. Him being young and being from Houston like me is cool.”

The Bears will look to add at least another OT and interior player as well through the portal or JC ranks this offseason.

Other stories:

Bears Add More Size and Athleticism With WR Commit Montgomery

Bears Add Nation's Top Long Snapper in David Bird

Bears' New TE Coach Tim Plough Ready For New Challenge at Cal

Former North Texas OC/OL Coach Bloesch Hits the Ground Running at Cal

Discussion from...

Bears Add All-Conference East LA CC OT Martin Tine

16,142 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AunBear89
GoBears89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great get! Welcome to Cal, Martin!!
BearBones
Welcome to the Cal family Martin. You just made an excellent 40 year decision.

Cal is really doing well in the transfer portal on both sides of the ball. Really looking forward to next season! Go Bears!
FireFighterBest
Great news!!! Welcome Martin and family!
BearoutEast67
Its about Tine for the OL!
ferCALgm2
Big Man is home! Go Bears!
Bearly Clad
Couldn't be more excited to add an athletic big man like this. There just aren't many players with that kind of size and athleticism on the planet so when you find a 6-7 OT with a basketball background you don't take it for granted.

Welcome to the Cal family Martin, congratulations to you and your whole family, and you tell the whole damn world this is Bear Territory!
GoOskie
Go Bears! Let's pickup a few more linemen!
Big C

We're so glad you're coming to Cal, Martin! Go Bears!
calumnus
Great news! Welcome Martin!
MinotStateBeav
He is very high with his leverage on run blocks, and he allows defensive ends too get into his body to easy on pass pro, he just is so much bigger that he can recover usually, that won't be the case in the pac. I'd like to see him use his hands to explode into defenders more violently. That would stunt their ability to get into him so easily.
AunBear89
MinotStateBeav said:

He is very high with his leverage on run blocks, and he allows defensive ends too get into his body to easy on pass pro, he just is so much bigger that he can recover usually, that won't be the case in the pac. I'd like to see him use his hands to explode into defenders more violently. That would stunt their ability to get into him so easily.

All true. Fortunately, proper technique is easier to teach than size.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.