Realignment & academics

2,511 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by airspace
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Based on this tweet (and who knows what is authentic or not) looks like at least Utah believes there is a relationship (reputational and financial) with conference affiliation. Does this change any of the minds of folks here who would prefer us to be in the MWC? Christ needs to keep pushing for B12 or bust.

juarezbear
Econ141 said:

Based on this tweet (and who knows what is authentic or not) looks like at least Utah believes there is a relationship (reputational and financial) with conference affiliation. Does this change any of the minds of folks here who would prefer us to be in the MWC? Christ needs to keep pushing for B12 or bust.

I've been beating this drum for a while. Going to the MWC would be the death knell of our programs. People have mentioned being a regional power is great, but not at this cost. I still doubt we'll get an invite from the B1G anytime soon, but schools like Utah and UW, and maybe CU, which take their academics very seriously want to build that aspect of their brand will stick together for the Pac before throwing in with the Big 12. I know for sure that Utah has spent a lot of time and money upgrading their academic profile and if this tweet has any veracity, I'm happy to see they view the relationship between academics and athletics holistically.
Bobodeluxe
UC Berkeley is not making the decisions. It has academics, and Stanford as a natural rival, and not much else.
75bear
Econ141 said:

You mean pushing for B1G, not B12.
wifeisafurd
Econ141 said:

Just curious, does Utah have an invite to B1G if the Pac falls apart? Their AD is on record saying Utah has a lot of options.
juarezbear
wifeisafurd said:

Econ141 said:

Just curious, does Utah have an invite to B1G if the Pac falls apart? Their AD is on record saying Utah has a lot of options.

Stranger things have happened, but I'd be surprised if Utah was asked before Cal, Furd, UW, or UO.
wifeisafurd
juarezbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Econ141 said:

Stranger things have happened, but I'd be surprised if Utah was asked before Cal, Furd, UW, or UO.
My suspension is it more like a package deal of programs near the LA schools, to wit: Cal, Furd and Utah being a little over an hour flight. Maybe they throw in Oregon or the Arizonas. Well balanced pod with SC and Utah being two top 25 programs, UCLA fringe top 25, and Cal and Furd. Everyone thinks the B1G wants to add a bunch of top tier teams, and I don't really see that being in the interest of TOSU and other top B1G programs.
annarborbear
Selling ourselves as a good-sounding doormat that other B1G teams can beat up on while providing Midwest fans with some interesting road-trips has always been our best option. Or at least it is under Knowlton.
wifeisafurd
annarborbear said:

Selling ourselves as a good-sounding doormat that other B1G teams can beat up on while providing Midwest fans with some interesting road-trips has always been our best option. Or at least it is under Knowlton.
Nice post. LOL.
sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

juarezbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Econ141 said:

My suspension is it more like a package deal of programs near the LA schools, to wit: Cal, Furd and Utah being a little over an hour flight. Maybe they throw in Oregon or the Arizonas. Well balanced pod with SC and Utah being two top 25 programs, UCLA fringe top 25, and Cal and Furd. Everyone thinks the B1G wants to add a bunch of top tier teams, and I don't really see that being in the interest of TOSU and other top B1G programs.
Like juarezbear, I very much doubt that Utah is higher on the B1G list than the schools he listed. The considerations are not so much about how good the revenue sports are at this very moment.
airspace
You and Stanford have one advantage I believe you may be over looking.

There are a lot of Big 10 alumni in the bay area. And how many of them are working at high tech companies with good salaries. A Big 10 school would savor the opportunity to come to the bay area about once every 4 years for fund raising opportunities. Utah and some other candidates don't offer that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.