Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Marquez Dortch
Cal Football

Bears Add Speed at WR in Mississippi State Portal Transfer Marquez Dortch

May 1, 2023

The Bears entered the spring portal recruiting window looking for speed at the receiver position after losing J.Micheal Sturdivant through the portal in December. One of their primary targets this spring has been Mississippi State 6-0/170 redshirt frosh receiver Marquez Dortch‍, a former consensus 4 star recruit from Georgetown County High School in Lucedale, MS.

Dortch was rated the #4 player in the state by 247Sports and the No. 23 receiver in the class after pulling in 41 receptions for 660 yards and 7 TDs along with 207 yards on five kickoff returns with one taken back for a touchdown as a senior in 2021.

Dortch originally committed to MSU after fielding offers from Auburn, Miami, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Indiana and more as a prep. He competed in track and field and clocked a 10.77 in the 100 meters and long jumped an impressive 23.9. He played in one game for the Bulldogs in 2022, preserving his redshirt status playing behind seven receivers and two running backs with at least 30 receptions on the season.

Dortch becomes the third spring portal commit of the season, following commitments from SDSU safety Patrick McMorris and NC State QB Ben Finley so far.

Related:

Bears Add Portal Commit #2 in Former NC State QB Ben Finley

McMorris Keeps it in the Family With Transfer to Cal

Discussion from...

Bears Add Speed at WR in Mississippi State Portal Transfer Marquez Dortch

9,114 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by bencgilmore
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love this pickup. #burners4Spav
WalterSobchak
Love it. Direct result of the new systems in Starkville and Berkeley. Go Bears!
Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Econ141
To aid me in understanding this speed, anyone know what jhavid best and/or desean Jackson's 100m time was?
MoragaBear
Staff
Econ141 said:

To aid me in understanding this speed, anyone know what jhavid best and/or desean Jackson's 100m time was?
Best was 10.3. Not sure about DeSean.
Big C
Econ141 said:

Jahvid ran in the 10.3s. DJ didn't really run track, but I would guess 10.4s or 10.5s (dude has "football speed" to burn, though). What did Sturdivant run, 10.5s or 10.6s? Dortch is plenty fast, though not elite fast. I bet half the P5 teams don't have a player that fast (pure guess on my part).

More to the point: Congrats on joining the Cal Family, Marquez! Go Bears!!!
GoOskie
Come on coach JWil and Mad Dog. Keep em comming!
Bearly Clad
Welcome to the Cal Family Marquez! As if he wasn't already gonna be a fan favorite with his explosive athleticism he gets bonus points for knowing to call us The University of California.

Big pickup for the offense, we need a variety of playmakers for Spavital's offense and a speed threat to take slants, screens, and crossing routes the distance is a must. There will be plenty of touches to go around and we need a deep WR room to match; Marquez will be a huge part of that not just this year but for years to come given his 4 years of remaining eligibility.

Welcome to you and your whole family Mr. Dortch and you tell the whole damn world this is Bear Territory!
Goobear
Marquez Dortch and family welcome to Cal Football. Wishing you nothing but the best of success on and off the field. Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
Player to be named later in the Makai Polk deal.
calumnus
Great pickup!
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong hope he make good on his high potential coming out of HS. 1 reception for 1 yard against East Tennessee State last year no exactly portend a gamebreaking WR.

Cal Strong hope he blow the roof off of what should probably be modest expectations based on past performance.

Cal Strong join BearlyClad in recognizing a young man who knows how to refer to our university. It should be a no-brainer, but so many get it wrong. So from that perspective, he has done everything right thus far!
calumnus
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong hope he make good on his high potential coming out of HS. 1 reception for 1 yard against East Tennessee State last year no exactly portend a gamebreaking WR.

Cal Strong hope he blow the roof off of what should probably be modest expectations based on past performance.

Cal Strong join BearlyClad in recognizing a young man who knows how to refer to our university. It should be a no-brainer, but so many get it wrong. So from that perspective, he has done everything right thus far!

Imagine J. Michael Sturdivant transferring after his redshirt freshman year.

You can't teach speed. Speed kills. Speed WRs should not be redshirted. They should be used to run opposition CBS to exhaustion.

He immediately makes us better.
bencgilmore
MoragaBear said:

Econ141 said:

Best was 10.3. Not sure about DeSean.

I believe I saw 10.6 once upon a time
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.