Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Matthew Wykoff
Cal Football

Bears Make Their First Big OL Addition of the Spring in A&M OL Wykoff

May 2, 2023

The Bears made a big splash today with their first offensive line portal commitment of the year with the commitment of Bears add 6-6/330 Texas A&M offensive lineman Matthew Wykoff‍ after this weekend's official visit.

As a prep offensive tackle recruit out of Magnolia High School in Magnolia, Texas, Wykoff was offered by the Bears along with a host of top programs throughout the country, including USC, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Penn State, Auburn, Texas as well as additional Pac-12 programs Stanford and Utah.

"I'm excited," Wykff said of his Cal commitment. "When I was recruited by Cal the first time around, my knowledge of the program was definitely surface knowledge. I found out more this time around and I got to take a visit there and realize how beautiful the campus was. But my senior year was during covid so I didn't take any visits. So I didn't really go out of state at all so every out-of-state option was kind of out of the picture for me. This time, I went out there and I thought it was beautiful. Great area, great facilities, great culture, great coaching staff.

"Going out there and meeting the coaches in person and talking to them and seeing everything really, really made it easy to make a decision."

Even though OL Coach Mike Bloesch is new to Cal, Wykoff is not a new recruit to Bloesch.

"I've actually known coach Bloesch for a while," Wykoff said. "He was actually my first offer out of high school when he was at Tulsa. He knew both my head coaches in high school. So I've known him for a while. But you know, I love him. I think he's a great coach. I'm excited to play for him and have him develop me. He seems like a real outstanding guy and he cares about us players so I'm excited. I also got to talk to Coach Wilcox. He was fired up and I'm just as excited."

Wykoff liked what he saw of the culture of the program on his visit and developed a good comfort level that made his decision an easier one.

"I went out on the weekend and saw some guys getting some extra work," Wykoff said. “It seems like the culture's really good and it seems like everyone flows and fits nice there. I got to see some guys interact and how this the different position groups work. It seems like a family there. So I'm excited to get out there and be a part of that because good cultures grow great football teams. “

Even though Wykoff started at center at A&M, he’s able to effectively play all three positions and look for Cal to give him every shot to take over at OT.

"I think I can play center, guard or tackle. It doesn't matter to me,” Wykoff noted. “I just want to I want to play at the end of the day. So wherever I can help the team and give them my best look and help win some games, that doesn't matter to me where I play."

After playing in four games and retaining his redshirt season as a true frosh in 2021, Wykoff played in all 12 games in 2022 with nine starts at center, earning the offense's Unselfish Leadership Award at the annual team banquet as well as 1st Team Freshman All-SEC.

Cal’s academics were an added plus for the newest Cal portal addition, as well.

"Cal's academics are nothing short of excellence so that played a big role in my decision," Wykoff noted."You go around anywhere in the country and they'll recognize a Cal degree. it's important my parents, too, so it helps for sure." 

As a prep at Magnolia, Wykoff was a 1st team all-district selection as a junior and was rated a Top-40 offensive tackle by 247 Sports, Rivals and ESPN.

Wykoff was at an official visit to TCU following Cal before making the call for the Bears. He will have 3 years to play 3. The redshirt soph becomes the fourth Cal portal commit of the spring, joining safety Patrick McMorris, QB Ben Finley‍ and receiver Marquez Dortch‍, who committed earlier today.

Related:

Bears Add Speed at WR in Mississippi State Portal Transfer Marquez Dortch

Bears Add Portal Commit #2 in Former NC State QB Ben Finley

McMorris Keeps it in the Family With Transfer to Cal

Discussion from...

Bears Make Their First Big OL Addition of the Spring in A&M OL Wykoff

13,169 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Oakbear
ferCALgm2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow, he's very legit!! Welcome to California!
harebear

Great get! Welcome to Cal, Matthew!
DaveBear
Welcome to Cal.
The OL just got a big power boost..
Hopefully more to come.
GoOskie
Go Bears!
MinotStateBeav
This is what I like to call

Good news.

CAL4LIFE
Impressive get. Keep going.
Econ141
Wow! Highly rated coming out of HS, backed up that rating in his 1+ year in college, amazing offer list and coming to Cal. Homerun!
Rushinbear
DaveBear said:

Welcome to Cal.
The OL just got a big power boost..
Hopefully more to come.

Do the players know about portal activity before commits come in?
Cal Junkie
This is wonderful news! Now I'm going to go out on a limb and infer that this man knows his way around a BBQ, being from Texas. So all I can do with that is attempt to make him feel more at home because he will probably be missing Texas BBQ. In Nor Cal, we have the usual suspects, for example Everett & Jones. However I like Aptos BBQ Grill in Aptos, CA about 90 minutes south of Berkeley. I have heard that Flint's is doing some pop-ups on occasion. If any of you have some good suggestions, he might like that. And who knows, this could turn into some wacky fave BBQ thread.

Welcome to Cal, Mr. Wykoff, and GO BEARS!
MoragaBear
Staff
Caught up with Wykoff this morning and added a bunch of quotes to the story.
Big C

Welcome to the Cal Family, Matthew! Super-glad you chose to play for the University of California. Go Bears!!!
Cal Strong!
This commitment not weak. This commitment STRONG . . . like Cal!

Cal STRONG!
CAL4LIFE
rkt88edmo
hell yes, great news
Bearly Clad
Great teams are built in the trenches and we knew we had to improve our OL especially. Matthew Wykoff is a huge get with his ability and versatility. We'll actually have legitimate competition along the offensive front for the first time in years, Cindric, Driscoll, Vatikani, Wykoff, and Aguilar are all fighting for 3 starting spots on the IOL and Wykoff could conceivably move outside too. We probably need one more quality OT but our OL looks like it could finally be not only competent but actually good. Can't wait to see how the staff continues to recruit the position and how Bloesch develops the guys into the fall and through the season.

Welcome to the The University of California and the Cal Family Mr. Wykoff! Happy to have you and Go Bears!
dmh65
Cal Junkie said:

This is wonderful news! Now I'm going to go out on a limb and infer that this man knows his way around a BBQ, being from Texas. So all I can do with that is attempt to make him feel more at home because he will probably be missing Texas BBQ. In Nor Cal, we have the usual suspects, for example Everett & Jones. However I like Aptos BBQ Grill in Aptos, CA about 90 minutes south of Berkeley. I have heard that Flint's is doing some pop-ups on occasion. If any of you have some good suggestions, he might like that. And who knows, this could turn into some wacky fave BBQ thread.

Welcome to Cal, Mr. Wykoff, and GO BEARS!
If you're into BBQ, Berkeley's great author and teacher, Michael Pollan, had a book called Cooked, which had a great chapter about southern BBQ. He's of course a better author than speaker, but here he is talking about it for 5 minutes, enjoy!
Pittstop
There's "Pig in a Pickle" in Emeryville (and in Corte Madera). It's at Emeryville Towne Center. They have good BBQ.
philbert
A lot of folks like Horn BBQ in Oakland. He learned from the Texas pitmasters but I think he has his own style now.
Goobear
Welcome to Cal Football to you and your family Matthew Wykoff. Wishing you the best of success! Go Bears!
BearoutEast67
Cherry-picking a starting lineman from a well-funded SEC school is no small matter. Excellent add!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
StillNoStanfurdium
Pittstop said:

There's "Pig in a Pickle" in Emeryville (and in Corte Madera). It's at Emeryville Towne Center. They have good BBQ.
Small note that it's at what I had assumed was more well-known as Public Market in Emeryville. I haven't heard anyone call it Towne Center before so if people do know it by that name it's news to me.
sosheezy
StillNoStanfurdium said:

Pittstop said:

Small note that it's at what I had assumed was more well-known as Public Market in Emeryville. I haven't heard anyone call it Towne Center before so if people do know it by that name it's news to me.
As long as we're talking about comfort food at the Emeryville Public Market, Minnie Bell's fried chicken is terrific and a good value.
Pittstop
You are correct. My location descriptor was wrong. It's on Shellmound. I should have just said that.
heartofthebear
CAL4LIFE said:

If we ain't done yet, that's impressive.
MoragaBear
Staff
heartofthebear said:

CAL4LIFE said:

Far from done yet
ferCALgm2
MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

CAL4LIFE said:

Far from done yet
From the O-line specifically, or overall on the portal?
StillNoStanfurdium
ferCALgm2 said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

CAL4LIFE said:

Far from done yet
Well we just got another transfer in former 4* CB Marcus Scott II, Mizzou so there's definitely still portal activity overall if not also more news on the OL side specifically.

MoragaBear
Staff
ferCALgm2 said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

CAL4LIFE said:

Far from done yet
Both
MinotStateBeav
This is all happening because Moraga is actually Buck Rogers

Pittstop
Plus potential for Gumms and Cam'ron? And the LB from Oregon who's visiting this weekend? And who knows who else?
SBGold
Pittstop said:

Plus potential for Gumms and Cam'ron? And the LB from Oregon who's visiting this weekend? And who knows who else?
I thought I heard another RB is coming, a grad transfer
Pittstop
And Taj Davis, wr from Oregon.
bluehenbear
At some point someone should do a Pac-12 transfer portal summary so we can see which teams upgraded, which held steady and which (if any) were left holding the bag.
Oakbear
bluehenbear said:

At some point someone should do a Pac-12 transfer portal summary so we can see which teams upgraded, which held steady and which (if any) were left holding the bag.
should be done about 12/1/2023
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.