Anyone Watching Chase Garbers Play?

3,039 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Econ141
SonomanA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Raiders vs 9ers. Chase has been playing in the 4th quarter and doing pretty good. Raiders dominating.

Go Bears!
calumnus
SonomanA1 said:

Raiders vs 9ers. Chase has been playing in the 4th quarter and doing pretty good. Raiders dominating.

Go Bears!

A better QB than most here gave him credit for because he played for bad OCs and behind poor OLs.
SonomanA1
I saw him play in LA when Cal beat SC in 2018 and met his family in the stands.
chazzed
calumnus said:

SonomanA1 said:

Go Bears!

A better QB than most here gave him credit for because he played for bad OCs and behind poor OLs.
I agree. He won plenty of games that are important to the Cal faithful. I'm a big fan.
Calcupcakes
chazzed said:

calumnus said:

SonomanA1 said:

Go Bears!

I agree. He won plenty of games that are important to the Cal faithful. I'm a big fan.

Agreed. Free beer in Berkeley for Chase.
going4roses
This part !!!! And the Big time wins he won
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Big C

He was a pretty good QB for us and I am a Chase Garbers fan!

That said, there were plenty of times when he either didn't spot the most open receiver, or didn't get the ball to him as he should have. I think it's okay to say that. But you're right in that, examining our offensive sub-mediocrity, he wasn't the weakest link. Rooting for him to succeed on Sundays.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong loved how he beat furd and SC. But he could no understand why he declared with another year of eligibility left. It seemed that he would have been a 5th rounder with another year under his belt.

Cal Strong wonder if he was having academic problems or another issue. From a football standpoint, it no made any sense for him to declare.
highwireact2
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong loved how he beat furd and SC. But he could no understand why he declared with another year of eligibility left. It seemed that he would have been a 5th rounder with another year under his belt.

Cal Strong wonder if he was having academic problems or another issue. From a football standpoint, it no made any sense for him to declare.

He probably was just ready to move on with his life. He was 22 and already had his BA and just took graduate business classes to stay eligible for the 2021 season.
Cal Strong!
highwireact2 said:

Cal Strong! said:

He probably was just ready to move on with his life. He was 22 and already had his BA and just took graduate business classes to stay eligible for the 2021 season.
That no make any sense. Why would anyone want to "move on" from probable draft pick to undrafted free agent?

His poor decision has left him hanging on by a very thin thread. He would have a more secure position and more money if he was a draft pick -- which he surely would have been.
going4roses
Why ? Two words Billy musgrave
Cal Strong!
He didn't have to play for Musgrave. He could have transferred to a lot of schools for his final season.
calumnus
Cal Strong! said:

highwireact2 said:

Cal Strong! said:

That no make any sense. Why would anyone want to "move on" from probable draft pick to undrafted free agent?

His poor decision has left him hanging on by a very thin thread. He would have a more secure position and more money if he was a draft pick -- which he surely would have been.

He had already been at Cal 5 years and after redshirting in 2017 used 4 years of eligibility. Sure, he could have stayed a 6th year, but Musgrave, and yes maybe grad transfer but he'd also risk injury. He is getting his shot right now, can't really ask for more than that. He was going to need to perform at the NFL level to get even a backup role. CFL could be good too.
Cal Strong!
calumnus said:

Cal Strong! said:

highwireact2 said:

Cal Strong! said:

He had already been at Cal 5 years and after redshirting in 2017 used 4 years of eligibility. Sure, he could have stayed a 6th year, but Musgrave, and yes maybe grad transfer but he'd also risk injury. He is getting his shot right now, can't really ask for more than that. He was going to need to perform at the NFL level to get even a backup role. CFL could be good too.
Risking injury a valid concern if you are a first day draft pick. But this doesn't apply to Garbers.
going4roses
I think at that point he was ready to move on
Cal Strong!
going4roses said:

Obviously. But from a professional standpoint, it was a really bad move.
Big C
Cal Strong! said:

going4roses said:

It was a good move, as he is playing in the NFL right now. What else could he have done last year? Where else would he have gone? He was at Cal for 5 years; now he plays for the Raiders. Good for him; it's a happy ending.
sonofabear51
I think Chase knows exactly what he is doing. Smarter than the average bear, no pun intended Yogi. Watch out for him. And, I would love to have him on my team. I am by no means a QB guru, but always liked what I saw with Chase. Will never forget the drive down the field at furd a couple years ago to beat them. And, I won't forget the wink of the eye on a different day. Reminds me a bit of Snake, but I guess we will see what happens with that assessment.
Start Slowly and taper off
going4roses
I guess if you say so
going4roses
Exactly
calumnus
Cal Strong! said:

going4roses said:

"Chase Garbers signed a 3 year, $2,575,000 contract with the Las Vegas Raiders, including a $15,000 signing bonus, $100,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $858,333. In 2023, Garbers will earn a base salary of $750,000, while carrying a cap hit of $750,000."

going4roses
Are you a pro athlete or pro coach? Why can't you just be happy for him?
sonofabear51
Yeah, Baby!!
Start Slowly and taper off
going4roses
Well damn he is doing better than I thought.
Cal Strong!
Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

going4roses said:

It was a good move, as he is playing in the NFL right now. What else could he have done last year? Where else would he have gone? He was at Cal for 5 years; now he plays for the Raiders. Good for him; it's a happy ending.
It seems that he will only be playing for the Raiders for a few more weeks, right?

Cal Strong no follow the NFL. But it certainly seems like the Raiders do not have a great QB situation. Nevertheless, Garbers is the #4 guy in a league that never carries 4 guys at the QB position.

The guy who will likely beat him out may or may not be better than Chase. But he was drafted and Chase wasn't.

Getting drafted > not getting drafted.
Chase after 5 years - not drafted.
Chase after 6 years - 4th round pick?.
HoopDreams
Musgrave completely mis-used him the first 3 games of the season.

after that he figured Garbers was a threat to run and better used that aspect of his game.

But by then it was too late as we lost those early games that we would have won if Musgrave had understood what he had at QB

Even after he figured out Garbers, Musgrave's offense wasn't the right one for Garbers.

I can only imagine what Spav would have done with a senior Garbers to run his offense.

calumnus
HoopDreams said:

after that he figured Garbers was a threat to run and better used that aspect of his game.

But by then it was too late as we lost those early games that we would have won if Musgrave had understood what he had at QB

Even after he figured out Garbers, Musgrave's offense wasn't the right one for Garbers.

I can only imagine what Spav would have done with a senior Garbers to run his offense.

Can't blame you but you forgot the 4 games the previous season when Musgrave did the same. And I think it was midway through his second season when Musgrave finally gave Garbers the green light and did more than 7 step drops in the face of an unblocked pass rush.
PtownBear1
I posted a couple of times years ago that I thought Garbers had fringe NFL potential and think I got laughed out of the room. Also, when I kept reading on here that Garbers wasn't the right fit for the offense, which is why the offense sucked, I called BS on that and said he was being scapegoated for crappy coaching and doubted Plummer would perform better last season. Anyhow, great to see Garbers getting more than just a shot at the pros.
bipolarbear
calumnus said:

Cal Strong! said:

going4roses said:

"Chase Garbers signed a 3 year, $2,575,000 contract with the Las Vegas Raiders, including a $15,000 signing bonus, $100,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $858,333. In 2023, Garbers will earn a base salary of $750,000, while carrying a cap hit of $750,000."

I wonder if his brother will do as well.
Cal Strong!
calumnus said:

Cal Strong! said:

going4roses said:

Cal Strong have two strong questions and two strong observations.

Question 1 -- Isn't this old data? Chase was cut in late July, then signed back in early August.

Question 2 -- Let's say the data Calumnus posted is current, and let's assume (as the #4 QB) that Chase will be cut in the next few weeks. So the annual salary isn't part of this. It really is just the signing bonus and the guarantee ($115k). This certainly not bad. But some of that goes to his agent and his offseason QB training. So the real payment is somewhere around $90k before taxes but after expenses. Well, what would he have made in NIL last year? How is this a smart business move?

Observation 1 -- Chase is currently number #4 behind Aidan O'Connell, who was a 4th round pick. The raiders could have gotten a really good RB or LB with a 4th round pick. But clearly they weren't thinking Chase was their long term project.

Observation 2 -- Aidan O'Connell took Jack Plumber's job at Purdue. And he is about to take Chase Garbers' job with the Raiders.

What does this guy have against Cal QBs?!?!?!?!?!!?
chazzed
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

Can't blame you but you forgot the 4 games the previous season when Musgrave did the same. And I think it was midway through his second season when Musgrave finally gave Garbers the green light and did more than 7 step drops in the face of an unblocked pass rush.
It's appalling that an offensive coordinator / QB coach at this level took so long to adjust. It's even more appalling that the man got another job in the league after being fired from Cal.
going4roses
Where how who ? Gotta be kidding
chazzed
I war referring to Musgrave being hired by the Cleveland Browns as a senior offensive assistant.
Econ141
chazzed said:

I war referring to Musgrave being hired by the Cleveland Browns as a senior offensive assistant.

Browns keep Browning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.