What it will take to upset udubb

8,266 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by dimitrig
CNHTH
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not really expecting any delta on defense I think we're good enough to hold the huskies to 30 points meaning we have to find a way to get 30. And since our kicking game is dog doo doo that means 5 tds. Which is a tall task but not totally impossible.
Udubb's only weakness I see is in their secondary and I think it's important that spavital find a way to get the corners in man along the sidelines.
Jackson has proven he can throw the back shoulder ball but the question is will he ever have an opportunity to do so if Ott can't get going and he's constantly scrambling for his life.
I know we haven't seen it yet and I'm surprised that we haven't but I would love to see a t/ wishbone formation and possibly 12 personnel of some sort. Have to protect in this game to have a chance.
Would love to see a t with Ott/ ifanse /alfieri to the sides of Jackson with Hunter plus endries plus Grizzle
For the record I don't think it's likely but if spav at least starts with 12 personell or something new to my eyes I will refrain from drinking wild turkey in q1
dimitrig

It will take a healthy Ott and a lot better QB play than we have seen so far. We also might need to make some FGs.

golden sloth
Cal will need turnovers, including one pick six or scoop and score.

A special teams mishap or two on Washington's part as well, and some terrific punting and coverage on Cal's part.
calumnus
More creativity and deception in the play calling.

The play Jackson took to the house started with a run fake to the right, with Jackson keeping, going left, evading a blitzer and….
ducky23
Wilcox is going to Wilcox (which in this case won't necessarily be a bad thing). He's going to try to shorten the game, play bend don't break, let UW move freely between the 20's but then try to hold them to FGs.

As others have stated, for this to work, we need to convert in the red zone, run the ball effectively and win the TO battle by at least 3.

We've seen this movie before. Usually we hang tough for 3 quarters until our D wears down from being on the field so much. It's possible we now have better depth to weather the inevitable
harebear
TedfordTheGreat
golden sloth said:

Cal will need turnovers, including one pick six or scoop and score.

A special teams mishap or two on Washington's part as well, and some terrific punting and coverage on Cal's part.
We need defense to score some points for us

Think back on the 2018 game, low scoring, Evan weaver reaching for the pylon. I miss that man.
Cal Strong!
The best approach to beat UW this weekend would have been to hire Kaelen Deboer two years ago or Deion Sanders last year.

That being said, this game can be won. Can it be won by Wilcox? We will find out soon.

BarcaBear
Cal Strong! said:

The best approach to beat UW this weekend would have been to hire Kaelen Deboer two years ago or Deion Sanders last year.

That being said, this game can be won. Can it be won by Wilcox? We will find out soon.

Deion Sanders would fail here. Colorado had to drop their educational standards to admit many of his portal players. I was surprised, but only because I didn't know Colorado had standards to begin with. lol
Rushinbear
ducky23 said:

Wilcox is going to Wilcox (which in this case won't necessarily be a bad thing). He's going to try to shorten the game, play bend don't break, let UW move freely between the 20's but then try to hold them to FGs.

As others have stated, for this to work, we need to convert in the red zone, run the ball effectively and win the TO battle by at least 3.

We've seen this movie before. Usually we hang tough for 3 quarters until our D wears down from being on the field so much. It's possible we now have better depth to weather the inevitable
Have to run and run and run, all over the field. Put TEs on CBs and pound them on run plays. Have to pressure Penix, somehow. If we give him all day, as others have, he will pick us apart and no amount of BBDB will matter.

So, make the DL/LBs run all over the field on run plays and blitz Penix all day. Figure he'll complete a bunch of passes anyway, so keep blitzing every which way.

21 points is big spread.
DiabloWags
If we repeatedly find ourselves in 3rd and LONG situations . . . it's gonna be a long day.
The Defense will be "gassed" late and we wont be able to stop anyone.
Penix is the real deal.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
BigDaddy
Have to be able to run the ball and shorten the game with long drives. You have to keep Penix off the field, and the defense probably will need to force a few turnovers.
philly1121
BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

Deion Sanders would fail here. Colorado had to drop their educational standards to admit many of his portal players. I was surprised, but only because I didn't know Colorado had standards to begin with. lol
Oh those darn educational standards. Do the alumni at CU care right now? To be fair, I wanted them to bite the dust against Colorado State. I turned the game off thinking it was over. Oops.

I think they will go down against Oregon this weekend tho.
DiabloWags
philly1121 said:

That's a pretty ballsy "call" given that Travis Hunter wont be playing anytime soon for several weeks.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Cal Strong!
BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

Colorado football had the highest GPA in their history this past Spring.
Cabin14
Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

Though none of those kids were Colorado students this past Spring.
Bearly Clad
If I had to boil it down to one thing I'd say pass blocking. Washington has a questionable secondary and we have a solid run game so to move the ball we need to be able to work through the air. In order to exploit their biggest weakness it's gonna take better pass protection than we've had the first 3 games. If they can just stack the box against us and we can't leverage that to make mismatches on the back end then it'll be a long night
Cal Strong!
Cabin14 said:

Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

No. That is not true. Lots of them were.

Our academic standards are not the reason we stink. Dykes and Wilcox have both said that our academics are strong recruiting tools.

The reason we stink is that we don't have a coach like Prime or Kaelin DeBoer. We probably could have gotten either of them, but we decided to stick with Wilcox instead.
philly1121
DiabloWags said:

philly1121 said:

That's a pretty ballsy "call" given that Travis Hunter wont be playing anytime soon for several weeks.

Was that sarcasm? The won the game against CSU without Hunter. But there's a talent disparity there as will be an even greater one with Oregon.
Cabin14
Cal Strong! said:

Cabin14 said:

Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

Out academic standards are not the reason we stink. Dykes and Wilcox have both said that our academics are strong recruiting tools.

The reason we stink is that we don't have a coach like Prime or Kaelin DeBoer. We probably could have gotten either of them, but we decided to stick with Wilcox instead.
60 of 83 scholarship players at Colorado enrolled this Summer/Fall. The Spring GPA's they accrued were at their previous school, FWIW.

No arguments that a large reason we stink is Wilcox, who is a good guy but not a good program CEO. And while academics may be a strong recruiting tool, the excessively higher standards at Cal only serves to limit the pool of kids we can actually land.
72CalBear
Bears will need to score 50+ to be in the game.
golden sloth
Cal Strong! said:

Cabin14 said:

Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

Out academic standards are not the reason we stink. Dykes and Wilcox have both said that our academics are strong recruiting tools.

For the record, I would bet my mortgage on Coach Prime coaching somewhere other than Colorado in 2025.

He stays this year and next, and then moves up.
BearSD
Need to get as many turnovers as in the Auburn game, but also need to convert those turnovers into TDs instead of missed FG attempts.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Best case scenario: 10-pt L
Cal Strong!
golden sloth said:

Cal Strong! said:

Cabin14 said:

Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

For the record, I would bet my mortgage on Coach Prime coaching somewhere other than Colorado in 2025.

Cal Strong have no idea if this will be the case.

But if this does occur, it would still have been a great move by Colorado. It is the move that we should have made.
Cal Strong!
Cabin14 said:

60 of 83 scholarship players at Colorado enrolled this Summer/Fall. The Spring GPA's they accrued were at their previous school, FWIW.

No arguments that a large reason we stink is Wilcox, who is a good guy but not a good program CEO. And while academics may be a strong recruiting tool, the excessively higher standards at Cal only serves to limit the pool of kids we can actually land.
If the Summer/Fall transfers earned such high GPAs at their previous schools, then they could have just as easily transferred to Cal.

This just further proves Cal Strong's point that academic standards has nothing to do with it.

It all about the Coach. The Berkeley administrative leaders and the administrative culture gets some things right, but lots and lots of things wrong. But if they hire a good head coach, none of their failings would get in the way of us dominating. Cal is a prestigious and beautiful university located in an amazing area. There no reason why a good coach can't crush it in recruiting at Cal.
UrsineMaximus
Now that the conference games have started, it is no secret what each opposing DC will do to Cal: force Cal to beat you through the air. The box will be stacked, safeties will creep up to the line of scrimmage and basic havoc will be bestowed on Cal. It is a simple formula and one that will be repeated in each game going forward.

We are a one dimensional football team with a starting QB that lacks fundamentals and pocket awareness. I will predict one thing: Jackson V will be our leading rusher.
Rushinbear
golden sloth said:

Cal Strong! said:

Cabin14 said:

Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

Let's wait and see what the full season brings. Everyone's drinking the first two weeks' Koolaid and the third week's, even though it has no ice.

We would never, ever hire Sanders and Sanders never, ever would apply. His demand that CU lower its standards, not a week into his tenure, said all that needed to be said about his approach.

Even if CU goes .500 this year, Sanders will proclaim that a wild success, but will the jury do the same?
oskidunker
UrsineMaximus said:

Now that the conference games have started, it is no secret what each opposing DC will do to Cal: force Cal to beat you through the air. The box will be stacked, safeties will creep up to the line of scrimmage and basic havoc will be bestowed on Cal. It is a simple formula and one that will be repeated in each game going forward.

We are a one dimensional football team with a starting QB that lacks fundamentals and pocket awareness. I will predict one thing: Jackson V will be our leading rusher.
If he stays upright. He gets injured most times he runs. He may be done after this game if he is not careful.. frankly, I would like to see Mendoza as Finley is not the answer,
Go Bears!
KenBurnski
Jackson learning how to slide and protect himself. I was stunned listening to his Idaho postgame where he mentions that he doesn't know how to properly slide and that sliding wasn't something they'd worked on in practice. I get there's only so many hours in a day but given his build it just seems like that would have been time well spent. I dunno.
DoubtfulBear
golden sloth said:

Cal Strong! said:

Cabin14 said:

Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

Too bad we can't get a two year stimulus to our football program. Only low scoring games decided by bad kickers and refs for the next three years!
OldenBear
Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

welllll ,,,,, let's chk again next Spring
golden sloth
KenBurnski said:

Jackson learning how to slide and protect himself. I was stunned listening to his Idaho postgame where he mentions that he doesn't know how to properly slide and that sliding wasn't something they'd worked on in practice. I get there's only so many hours in a day but given his build it just seems like that would have been time well spent. I dunno.

I dont know, this one seems pretty self-explanatory. If watch football for a few games, you learn how to slide. I dont think there is any particular magic and technique to it. Not leading with your facemask should be obvious.
golden sloth
Rushinbear said:

golden sloth said:

Cal Strong! said:

Cabin14 said:

Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

No. He wouldn't.

Let's wait and see what the full season brings. Everyone's drinking the first two weeks' Koolaid and the third week's, even though it has no ice.

We would never, ever hire Sanders and Sanders never, ever would apply. His demand that CU lower its standards, not a week into his tenure, said all that needed to be said about his approach.

Even if CU goes .500 this year, Sanders will proclaim that a wild success, but will the jury do the same?

For the record, I think he goes about 500 this year, and then significantly better next year in the Big. Then some big name program looking for a flashy move will sign him away.
HearstMining
KenBurnski said:

It would be interesting to see a time study done for football practices. Specifically, what percentage of time is an athlete actually doing something vs standing around. And a comparison between top teams (Alabama, Ohio St, etc) vs mediocre teams vs perennial losers.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.