What it will take to upset udubb

8,591 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by dimitrig
BarcaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong! said:

BarcaBear said:

Cal Strong! said:

The best approach to beat UW this weekend would have been to hire Kaelen Deboer two years ago or Deion Sanders last year.

That being said, this game can be won. Can it be won by Wilcox? We will find out soon.

Deion Sanders would fail here. Colorado had to drop their educational standards to admit many of his portal players. I was surprised, but only because I didn't know Colorado had standards to begin with. lol
No. He wouldn't.

Colorado football had the highest GPA in their history this past Spring.
getting A's in a school with low academic standards doesn't mean much. I mean, congrats to their tutors for doing their homework and taking their tests for them. haha. now that they have transfered to CU guaranteed the same will happen there as their previous schools.
Bearspot
Keep Penix off the field for as long as possible.
Cal offense take as much time as possible.
Cal defense bring much pressure on Penix on 1st and 3rd downs.
Rushinbear
Bearspot said:

gotta come from all over on nearly every play.
Blueblood
Rushinbear said:

Bearspot said:

gotta come from all over on nearly every play.
BearHunter
Penix will be protected.
Pressure Penix early to release prematurely.
Make Penix afraid of penetration.
calbearsfan
A miracle
calumnus
ducky23 said:

BearSD said:

ducky23 said:

HearstMining said:

As I pointed out on another thread, the last Cal QB who only played the position his senior year of HS was the famous "Jesus in cleats", Kyle Boller. It wasn't until his senior year at Cal that he was a good college QB. Boller wasn't the athlete Jackson is, but at least as accurate a passer and a terrifically strong arm. But the point is, you're right, there's a lot to learn. Still, Jackson was a backup QB at TCU for two years - didn't they teach him anything?

I hear what you're saying. But if boller had tedford the whole time and not holmoe, he probably leaves for the nfl early

Meh. I don't remember Tedford turning Zach Maynard into an NFL QB.

Yeah that's because one was the #1 QB recruit in the country and the other was Keenan Allen's brother

The only three Tedford coached Cal QBs to make an NFL roster were Boller, Rodgers and Robertson ie his first 3. Two inherited from Holmoe, one lucked out on as a JC transfer while scouting a TE. All three with Cortez as OC. In 11 years Tedford brought in one or two HS QBs every year. Many highly rated, Elite 11. He did not get any that he coached to the NFL.
Bobodeluxe
calumnus said:

ducky23 said:

BearSD said:

ducky23 said:

HearstMining said:

As I pointed out on another thread, the last Cal QB who only played the position his senior year of HS was the famous "Jesus in cleats", Kyle Boller. It wasn't until his senior year at Cal that he was a good college QB. Boller wasn't the athlete Jackson is, but at least as accurate a passer and a terrifically strong arm. But the point is, you're right, there's a lot to learn. Still, Jackson was a backup QB at TCU for two years - didn't they teach him anything?

I hear what you're saying. But if boller had tedford the whole time and not holmoe, he probably leaves for the nfl early

Meh. I don't remember Tedford turning Zach Maynard into an NFL QB.

Yeah that's because one was the #1 QB recruit in the country and the other was Keenan Allen's brother

The only three Tedford coached Cal QBs to make an NFL roster were Boller, Rodgers and Robertson ie his first 3. Two inherited from Holmoe, one lucked out on as a JC transfer while scouting a TE. All three with Cortez as OC. In 11 years Tedford brought in one or two HS QBs every year. Many highly rated, Elite 11. He did not get any that he coached to the NFL.
Goo-too. I read it here.
72CalBear
72CalBear said:

Bears will need to score 50+ to be in the game.
Wrong again!
philly1121
Good morning.

Not to start a flame war but - I want to offer a bit of context to all of our despair about this latest game. And that is..

Did anyone thing we were going to actually win this game? I mean, this Michael Penix guy is a machine. 19/25, 304 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT.

I get that there is always hope. But, UW is a top 7 team. We would have to play flawless and few teams can play that way. So, I get all the hate that Wilcox is getting. Perhaps he should be fired. The economics of that make it near impossible. Again, that's because of Admin. I get it.

I don't know. Yes, there's many reasons why this dude should be let go. But is it an accurate measure to include this game? Perhaps a bit of context is in order.
DoubtfulBear
philly1121 said:

Good morning.

Not to start a flame war but - I want to offer a bit of context to all of our despair about this latest game. And that is..

Did anyone thing we were going to actually win this game? I mean, this Michael Penix guy is a machine. 19/25, 304 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT.

I get that there is always hope. But, UW is a top 7 team. We would have to play flawless and few teams can play that way. So, I get all the hate that Wilcox is getting. Perhaps he should be fired. The economics of that make it near impossible. Again, that's because of Admin. I get it.

I don't know. Yes, there's many reasons why this dude should be let go. But is it an accurate measure to include this game? Perhaps a bit of context is in order.

ASU kept the score close against USC while we were getting blown out before Penix stepped on the field. That's why this team continues to be an embarrassment to represent the state of California.
BearlyCareAnymore
philly1121 said:

Good morning.

Maybe the accurate measure is that no one thought we were going to win this game.

Don't understand the c'mon guys. We know we suck. Why fire the coach for sucking?
philly1121
Did you think we were gonna win this game?
BearlyCareAnymore
philly1121 said:

That whooshing sound is the point going right over your head.

Your defense is we knew we were going to lose. That is not a defense for the health of a program. A good program has fans thinking they can win every game.

And, we didn't just lose. We were awful. If we lost by 200 points, would you still think "well we knew we were going to lose?" You can at least put up a fight. Until they pulled the starters we were on pace to lose by 70.

I seriously wondered if your first post was sarcastic because it takes tremendous mental gymnastics for a smart person to convince themselves of something that stupid.
Bobodeluxe
This is pretty funny: "[T]his team continues to be an embarrassment to represent the state of California."

Yes and NO.
golden sloth
philly1121 said:

Good morning.

I didnt expect to win, I expected to lose. I did not expect Cal to beat themselves. Three terrible turnovers, a kicking game that has to be the worst in cfb, and a qb choice that is baffling to me frustrates me.
philly1121
BearlyCareAnymore said:

philly1121 said:

Your defense is we knew we were going to lose. That is not a defense for the health of a program. A good program has fans thinking they can win every game.

And, we didn't just lose. We were awful. If we lost by 200 points, would you still think "well we knew we were going to lose?" You can at least put up a fight. Until they pulled the starters we were on pace to lose by 70.

I seriously wondered if your first post was sarcastic because it takes tremendous mental gymnastics for a smart person to convince themselves of something that stupid.

Well if you had a point I hope you can find a hat that fits it properly.

Your starting point is flawed since you seem to think we could compete with them. And I say that's complete lunacy. No one in their right mind - except yours - would even think for more than a second that we had any capability of winning that game or competing with UW.

So I ask again - how did you think we could even get close to 14 points against them? It's not an outer worldly question considering you want to fire everyone I. The coaching an AD office. So - why are you getting mad?

You're upset over how this team played. And? You must think we're better than we are. Again - take a step back and evaluate with your head and not your heart.
BearlyCareAnymore
philly1121 said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

philly1121 said:

Well if you had a point I hope you can find a hat that fits it properly.

Your starting point is flawed since you seem to think we could compete with them. And I say that's complete lunacy. No one in their right mind - except yours - would even think for more than a second that we had any capability of winning that game or competing with UW.

So I ask again - how did you think we could even get close to 14 points against them? It's not an outer worldly question considering you want to fire everyone I. The coaching an AD office. So - why are you getting mad?

You're upset over how this team played. And? You must think we're better than we are. Again - take a step back and evaluate with your head and not your heart.

I don't want to fire anyone. I'm telling those who do what they need to do. I don't want another dime going to buyouts.

I didn't think we could beat Washington. Again, whoosh! How is that a defense of the coach instead of an indictment?

But if you don't think we have any chance to beat Washington, under any circumstances, what are we doing this for? Why didn't we join the Mountain West or even the Big West and be done with it?
philly1121
Again, simple question - did you think we were going to win against UDub?

I'll double down on this...

Which team do you think is going to win?

Cal v USC
Cal v Oregon
Cal v Utah
Cal v Wazoo

Tell me who you think is going to win. Super simple pick-ems.

Point is - perhaps Wilcox does need to be fired. Seems like a majority on this board want him removed. Along with Knowlton. What I'm saying is that the accurate measure of whether someone should be fired isn't a game against the #7 ranked team in the nation. Its measured against perhaps historical record and competing against the likes of ASU, Stanford and perhaps UCLA. Teams that we actually should beat.

I'm a realist. I see a talent gap. I don't see us realistically competing against the teams I listed. There's no institutional push to compete against these teams. But I guess the good news is that we won't be seeing them again. Except Stanford.
72CalBear
philly1121 said:

Cal v USC
Cal v Oregon
Cal v Utah
Cal v Wazoo

Point is - perhaps Wilcox does need to be fired. Seems like a majority on this board want him removed. Along with Knowlton. What I'm saying is that the accurate measure of whether someone should be fired isn't a game against the #7 ranked team in the nation. Its measured against perhaps historical record and competing against the likes of ASU, Stanford and perhaps UCLA. Teams that we actually should beat.

I'm a realist. I see a talent gap. I don't see us realistically competing against the teams I listed. There's no institutional push to compete against these teams. But I guess the good news is that we won't be seeing them again. Except Stanford.
Yes, big talent gap thank you. Yes we lose to the teams you listed. Doesn't mean we give up on the boys and the work they are putting in. Crack away at the coaches, admins, whoever you want, but let's keep the players in our minds as they prepare to win every game the best way they can.
BearHunter
72CalBear said:

72CalBear said:

Bears will need to score 50+ to be in the game.
Wrong again!
72, why do you have to be so hard on yourself?
BearlyCareAnymore
philly1121 said:

Cal v USC
Cal v Oregon
Cal v Utah
Cal v Wazoo

We lose all those games.

Why?

Because we suck

Sucking no good.

Sucking not good excuse for sucking.

Sucking not binary.

There are levels to sucking.

Losing where played your best one thing.

Losing where down 14 before offense of other team on field another thing.

No shame losing to UDub.

Much shame playing way beneath selves and being humiliated by UDub.

If you think we suck so much that we cannot compete with 5 teams on schedule, what you think point is?

Do you think people gave $1.2 M in 3 days to suck? Let's Ask Sebasta.
Bobodeluxe
BearlyCareAnymore said:

philly1121 said:

Cal v USC
Cal v Oregon
Cal v Utah
Cal v Wazoo

We lose all those games.

Why?

Because we suck

Sucking no good.

Sucking not binary.

No shame losing to UDub.

If you think we suck so much that we cannot compete with 5 teams on schedule, what you think point is?

Oregon State spent that on a good quarterback. A fools game.
BearlyCareAnymore
Bobodeluxe said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

philly1121 said:

Cal v USC
Cal v Oregon
Cal v Utah
Cal v Wazoo

We lose all those games.

Why?

Because we suck

Sucking no good.

Sucking not binary.

No shame losing to UDub.

Oregon State spent that on a good quarterback. A fools game.
Me agree
philly1121
Doing the CalStrong schtick now, eh?
philly1121
For sure. Of course we don't give up on our team. My only comment is that for the individuals that are calling for Wilcox's head - a little context is warranted. Especially against top 10 teams.
Cabin14
philly1121 said:

For sure. Of course we don't give up on our team. My only comment is that for the individuals that are calling for Wilcox's head - a little context is warranted. Especially against top 10 teams.
I mean, you really don't want to get boat raced by anyone in year 7, especially after 6 incredibly mediocre years. But you're right - there's no shame losing in Seattle to an elite UW team that will contend for the CFP and is stacked with NFL talent. However.....

...gagging games at home v. very average squads like Auburn, in year 7, are the reason Wilcox needs to be gone. The Wilcox apologists will point out the refs, or the FGs, or the injuries, blah blah blah but the stunning lack of execution remains an issue, and the program has stagnated.

DoubtfulBear
philly1121 said:

Adding context (aka making excuses) is WEAK, as Cal Strong likes to say. Coming into the game, we knew we would get rolled by Penix and the Washington O. What we didn't know is that Washington's D would put up 14 points before Penix even showed up. That's a level of pathetic that even FCS schools don't portray.
BearlyCareAnymore
philly1121 said:

Doing the CalStrong schtick now, eh?
no CalStrong schtick.

Simplify so you understand.

if me do Cal Strong schtick, me not say "me agree". me say "Bearlycare agree".
philly1121
ugh. boring
Bobodeluxe
philly1121 said:

ugh. boring
Wilcox's team had been boring pretty much the whole seven years, but that's what powerful alumni wanted.
philly1121
DoubtfulBear said:

philly1121 said:

Adding context (aka making excuses) is WEAK, as Cal Strong likes to say. Coming into the game, we knew we would get rolled by Penix and the Washington O. What we didn't know is that Washington's D would put up 14 points before Penix even showed up. That's a level of pathetic that even FCS schools don't portray.
I see what you're writing. I guess i agree to a certain extent. I guess I look at the totality of it. I thought we were gonna get rolled. We did. Either by the Husky offense or defense. The result was the same.
dimitrig
Cabin14 said:

philly1121 said:

I mean, you really don't want to get boat raced by anyone in year 7, especially after 6 incredibly mediocre years. But you're right - there's no shame losing in Seattle to an elite UW team that will contend for the CFP and is stacked with NFL talent. However.....

...gagging games at home v. very average squads like Auburn, in year 7, are the reason Wilcox needs to be gone. The Wilcox apologists will point out the refs, or the FGs, or the injuries, blah blah blah but the stunning lack of execution remains an issue, and the program has stagnated.

This resonates with me. The program has stagnated and may even be moving backwards in the way that basketball did. Do we have to have a 1 win season before people realize that? The program is not building any momentum at all. What do we have to look forward to? Wilcox has plateaued and it is not a very high plateau. It could be worse for sure, but with him there is no hope of getting better than we have been. Time to move on.
Bobodeluxe
More like he has floodplained.
calumnus
dimitrig said:

Cabin14 said:

philly1121 said:

This resonates with me. The program has stagnated and may even be moving backwards in the way that basketball did. Do we have to have a 1 win season before people realize that? The program is not building any momentum at all. What do we have to look forward to? Wilcox has plateaued and it is not a very high plateau. It could be worse for sure, but with him there is no hope of getting better than we have been. Time to move on.

Except we are in year 7 and after year 5, Knowlton extended him to year 11 at $5 million per year guaranteed with most of this board applauding.

It would cost $20 million to fire him after the season. For a department already in the red and about to take a huge reduction in revenue. I can't see any way we are not stuck with him for three more years. Thus, we just have to hope Wilcox changes or Spavital can turn the offense around and convince Wilcox to get out of his own way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.