Does anyone understand this? Joe Roth Game related

1,762 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by oskidunker
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Perfectly understandable to have uncertainty after this year but why in the heck would we not have a designated Roth game this year?

It's almost like the AD slgot the year wrong and thought we wouldn't play the LA schools this year? Why in the heck is this not a designated Roth game? I can't stand the level of apathy in this administration to just get **** done!

Cal_79
Incompetence.
Strykur
It doesn't even matter after this season, is the Joe Roth Game gonna be when we play Duke or Syracuse?
calumnus
Strykur said:

It doesn't even matter after this season, is the Joe Roth Game gonna be when we play Duke or Syracuse?

Joe Roth was from San Diego and played JC there. We should (for many other reasons) lock up a long time series with SDSU and designate it the Joe Roth game.
Strykur
calumnus said:

Strykur said:

Joe Roth was from San Diego and played JC there. We should (for many other reasons) lock up a long time series with SDSU and designate it the Joe Roth game.
Being from San Diego (as I am) doesn't meant jack in regards to San Diego State.
calumnus
Strykur said:

calumnus said:

Strykur said:

Being from San Diego (as I am) doesn't meant jack in regards to San Diego State.

Why SC/UCLA?

SDSU makes more sense. He played for Grossmount. is a good game to add to make the Joe RothGame.

Besides, the real reason we need to add an annual game with SDSU is so that we continue playing in SoCal on a regular basis. It is a game for us to invite SoCal recruits and for our SoCal alums to attend in force.

Designating the game as the "Joe Roth Game" even when played there (maybe have UCSD provide free melanoma screening?) gives it even more weight. Plus it subtly emphasizes a great player from the region that stared for "California."

We make SDSU the Joe Roth Game more as another reason to wrap up a long term series with SDSU, than scheduling SDSU in order to continue the Joe Roth Game.
BearSD
You know Cal has never beaten SDSU in San Diego, right? The Aztecs have never won in Berkeley, either.
https://www.winsipedia.com/games/san-diego-state/vs/california

The only football game our Bears have won in San Diego (I was there!) is the 2006 Holiday Bowl win over Texas A&M.
calumnus
BearSD said:

You know Cal has never beaten SDSU in San Diego, right? The Aztecs have never won in Berkeley, either.

The only football game our Bears have won in San Diego (I was there!) is the 2006 Holiday Bowl win over Texas A&M.

What is our record in LA with a MUCH larger sample?

We need to continue to play in SoCal to maintain our presence for recruiting and alumni giving. If we do not play in LA annually anymore we can make the biannual game in San Diego our big SoCal alumni event. Designating it the "Joe Roth Game" gives it more gravitas. Yes, we need to start winning down there too. The fact we have done so poorly in the past is not a reason to give up. Might as well fold up the program then.
BearSD
calumnus said:

BearSD said:

We need to continue to play in SoCal to maintain our presence for recruiting and alumni giving. If we do not play in LA annually anymore we can make the biannual game in San Diego our big SoCal alumni event. Designating it the "Joe Roth Game" gives it more gravitas. Yes, we need to start winning down there too.
I'm in favor of games here. It's a much shorter drive from my house to SDSU's stadium than to the Rose Bowl or Coliseum.

But IMO if a football presence in LA is deemed important, Cal will have to schedule the Bruins or Trojans. San Diego isn't part of the LA area and no one in LA thinks it is. (We like it that way, too. They can all stay on their side of Camp Pendleton.)
calumnus
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

We need to continue to play in SoCal to maintain our presence for recruiting and alumni giving. If we do not play in LA annually anymore we can make the biannual game in San Diego our big SoCal alumni event. Designating it the "Joe Roth Game" gives it more gravitas. Yes, we need to start winning down there too.
I'm in favor of games here. It's a much shorter drive from my house to SDSU's stadium than to the Rose Bowl or Coliseum.

But IMO if a football presence in LA is deemed important, Cal will have to schedule the Bruins or Trojans. San Diego isn't part of the LA area and no one in LA thinks it is. (We like it that way, too. They can all stay on their side of Camp Pendleton.)

I am in favor of playing UCLA at least. However, if we don't, SoCal alums and families and friends of recruits from all over SoCal can drive to San Diego every other year for a game. Make it a big Cal event.
golden sloth
If we dont continue playing UCLA or USC, instead of having a perpetual home and home with sdsu. I'd prefer to have an annual neutral site game in LA. It seems like it'd be in both schools best interest to share the LA exposure. There are a plethora of stadiums to choose from.
calumnus
golden sloth said:

If we dont continue playing UCLA or USC, instead of having a perpetual home and home with sdsu. I'd prefer to have an annual neutral site game in LA. It seems like it'd be in both schools best interest to share the LA exposure. There are a plethora of stadiums to choose from.

I think we do that deal with our new bestie Notre Dame just to hack off the Trojans.

We will have only 8 conference games in the ACC, one always Big Game. I do think adding a neutral game in LA, maybe every other year is a good idea.

If we have a series with Hawaii, the "C&H (California and Hawaii) Sugar Classic, " then the years we play there we can play a 13th game in week 0.

Then we could alternate, San Diego one year, a neutral game in LA against Notre Dame or other name opponent the next. Maybe play new conference foe Georgia Tech in the Rose Bowl again?
Big C

I'm not sure it matters who the opponent is. Just pick one of the more important mid-season games and designate it the Joe Roth Game.
BearSD
calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

I think we do that deal with our new bestie Notre Dame just to hack off the Trojans.
No. If/when Cal gets a home game vs Notre Dame, it needs to be in Berkeley. There is too much money to be made from playing in Berkeley, and not just from tickets to that one game.

I'm skeptical about playing any other football opponents in a neutral site game in LA. The stadium (probably SoFi) would have to be rented, and that cost would be significant. Big Ten teams don't need neutral site games in LA, SEC teams don't want to fly out to the west coast, and anyone else won't sell enough tickets to make the game a moneymaker.
calumnus
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

No. If/when Cal gets a home game vs Notre Dame, it needs to be in Berkeley. There is too much money to be made from playing in Berkeley, and not just from tickets to that one game.

I'm skeptical about playing any other football opponents in a neutral site game in LA. The stadium (probably SoFi) would have to be rented, and that cost would be significant. Big Ten teams don't need neutral site games in LA, SEC teams don't want to fly out to the west coast, and anyone else won't sell enough tickets to make the game a moneymaker.

Having lost the LA schools to Fox and the B1G, what if Disney/ESPN sponsored a Saturday night "bowl-like" game in Anaheim with a Disneyland tie in? Payout could be better than a home game.

Again, we now have a 4th OOC game every year and could have a 5th every other year if we also schedule Hawaii.
HearstMining
I know Orange County isn't the same thing as LA, but if UCLA can't draw decent crowds at the Rose Bowl, what are the chances that a game in the OC between two non-home teams will get decent attendance?
USC can go to hell, but the Regents should simply say to UCLA, "You WILL schedule a home-and-home series with Cal." On years that the game is in LA, Cal picks another important home game to be the Joe Roth game and aggressively markets that game (maybe with special ticket packages around it or something).

There are two reasons the Joe Roth Game relevance has died:
1. Cal has alienated so many of the fans who were Joe Roth contemporaries.
2. There is virtually no marketing around the Joe Roth game and hasn't been for years. How many people in the AD's marketing department even know Joe's story. I'll bet none.

Is there a video interview of Mike White talking about Joe available? If not, it should be produced and made available to local media, Youtube, and shown on the CMS big screen.
BearSD
HearstMining said:

I know Orange County isn't the same thing as LA, but if UCLA can't draw decent crowds at the Rose Bowl, what are the chances that a game in the OC between two non-home teams will get decent attendance?
USC can go to hell, but the Regents should simply say to UCLA, "You WILL schedule a home-and-home series with Cal." On years that the game is in LA, Cal picks another important home game to be the Joe Roth game and aggressively markets that game (maybe with special ticket packages around it or something).
The issue is not that UCLA doesn't want to play Cal. Based on comments that UCLA's AD made, the issue is that UCLA wants to play Cal in football instead of paying any Calimony.
southseasbear
HearstMining said:

2. There is virtually no marketing around the Joe Roth game and hasn't been for years. How many people in the AD's marketing department even know Joe's story. I'll bet none.

Is there a video interview of Mike White talking about Joe available? If not, it should be produced and made available to local media, Youtube, and shown on the CMS big screen.
Roth never beat the Southern Branch, losing 28-14 and 35-19.
The last time we beat them in a Joe Roth game at Berkeley was 2019.
The time before that was 2012.

I think we can honor Joe without playing teams that have a tradition of running over us.
Strykur
southseasbear said:

HearstMining said:

I think we can honor Joe without playing teams that have a tradition of running over us.
We beat the bear runts in 2016 in Berkeley.

What is amusing is that a few decades after Roth we would run over the bear runts in his games regularly (we won every game in Berkeley from 2000 to 2012) but during the same span have almost no success against the team he did beat (SC).
Oski87
We should designate the Homecoming game as the Joe Roth game. Easy enough and simply move on from the teams that ruined the conference. No big deal. Not playing USC or UCLA is fine for me.
AmadorBear
TOTAL INCOMPETENCE BY THE AD. UNACCEPTABLE TO NOT HAVE THIS GAME HONOR JOE.
oskidunker
southseasbear said:

HearstMining said:

Go Bears!
oskidunker
Cal beat Usc in Berkeley in 1975. I am watching it on you tube right now. Cal 28. Usc 14

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/11/02/archives/usc-is-shocked-by-california-2814.html
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.