Mendoza Burrito

4,678 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by cal83dls79
wc22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://instagr.am/p/C4WOC_rS8Ig
philbert
Nice....but La Burrita?
KenBurnski
This is outstanding
calumnus
Should have been a Cuban sandwich.

Good example of what could be "real" NIL, but great that Fernando is doing it for charity.
okaydo
philbert said:

Nice....but La Burrita?

Yes, it's surprising that the best Mexican restaurant in the Bay Area is willing to be associated with Cal football
cal83dls79
Stop. Bombera . High end. Paisa for really good
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
cal83dls79
okaydo said:

philbert said:

Nice....but La Burrita?

Yes, it's surprising that the best Mexican restaurant in the Bay Area is willing to be associated with Cal football
it's really not a Mexican restaurant fyi and it sucks
cal83dls79
cal83dls79 said:

Stop. Bombera . High end. Paisa for really good
bring a fire arm when at Paisa.
bearsandgiants
philbert said:

Nice....but La Burrita?
Yes La Burrita. Of course La Burrita!
Econ141
All these local businesses need to start ponying up for the gameday dollars Cal football brings. And if they want even more customers they need to ensure a better football team via more NIL.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
cal83dls79
Econ141 said:

All these local businesses need to start ponying up for the gameday dollars Cal football brings. And if they want even more customers they need to ensure a better football team via more NIL.
give to cal legends and get a burrito. Asked a nice girl that worked there for a date. It was me not her. I was a no show. I'm sorry . There was a brief connection
01Bear
calumnus said:

Good example of what could be "real" NIL, but great that Fernando is doing it for charity.

A Cuban sandwich may have been a bit too obvious. Besides, not only are there not (m)any Cuban restaurants around Cal but La Burrita is (and has been) a staple for Cal students for decades. It makes sense to partner up with La Burrita for this latter reason, alone. On top of which, La Burrita is delicious!

philbert
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

A Cuban sandwich may have been a bit too obvious. Besides, not only are there not (m)any Cuban restaurants around Cal but La Burrita is (and has been) a staple for Cal students for decades. It makes sense to partner up with La Burrita for this latter reason, alone. On top of which, La Burrita is delicious!

One of the taquerias here in Livermore serves a Torta Cubano. Is it different than an authentic Cuban sandwich? I dunno but it's delicious.
01Bear
philbert said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

One of the taquerias here in Livermore serves a Torta Cubano. Is it different than an authentic Cuban sandwich? I dunno but it's delicious.

I wouldn't be the right person to ask, really. I've only had a Cuban sandwich at Porto's and at a Cuban restaurant/bakery that's since closed.
calumnus
01Bear said:

philbert said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

I wouldn't be the right person to ask, really. I've only had a Cuban sandwich at Porto's and at a Cuban restaurant/bakery that's since closed.

Cuban sandwiches are from South Florida and are essentially simple ham and melted cheese paninis (pressed/toasted ie flat and hot).

Torta Cubana is a huge Mexican sandwich piled high with "everything" from Mexico City. The reason is is called "Cubana" is either because it originated at a cafe on Calle Cubana or because Cuban women have a reputation in Mexico (and elsewhere) for being very voluptuous.

Burritos are from Spanisish/Mexican California where it was the staple when California was far and away Mexico's primary wheat growing region and where flour tortillas replaced corn tortillas for every day eating for Indios in the missions and ranchos. The great advantage being that no expensive plate or utensils were needed. This is why the burrito has always been the staple for feeding farm laborers in California, with each farm including generous portions of their own products; lettuce, or rice in the areas around Sacramento, or avocados in San Diego County. Many who left farm work moved to San Francisco's Mission District.

In the early 1900s, Mexican nationals (including future president Francisco Madero who was a vegetarian) who were studying at the University of California, Berkeley, brought the burrito with them to Chihuahua when they started the Mexican Revolution. In Mexico, due to the harder wheat with less gluten, burritos are usually eaten fried (chimichangas) or on a plate smothered in salsa.
wc22
calumnus said:

95bears
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

philbert said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

Cuban sandwiches are from South Florida and are essentially simple ham and melted cheese paninis (pressed/toasted ie flat and hot).

Torta Cubana is a huge Mexican sandwich piled high with "everything" from Mexico City. The reason is is called "Cubana" is either because it originated at a cafe on Calle Cubana or because Cuban women have a reputation in Mexico (and elsewhere) for being very voluptuous.

Burritos are from Spanisish/Mexican California where it was the staple when California was far and away Mexico's primary wheat growing region and where flour tortillas replaced corn tortillas for every day eating for Indios in the missions and ranchos. The great advantage being that no expensive plate or utensils were needed. This is why the burrito has always been the staple for feeding farm laborers in California, with each farm including generous portions of their own products; lettuce, or rice in the areas around Sacramento, or avocados in San Diego County. Many who left farm work moved to San Francisco's Mission District.

In the early 1900s, Mexican nationals (including future president Francisco Madero who was a vegetarian) who were studying at the University of California, Berkeley, brought the burrito with them to Chihuahua when they started the Mexican Revolution. In Mexico, due to the harder wheat with less gluten, burritos are usually eaten fried (chimichangas) or on a plate smothered in salsa.

OMG, thank you so much for the history and Cal's role in the creation of a monument to human ingenuity and artistry.

SBGold
calumnus said:

01Bear said:

philbert said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

This info was fantastic and unexpected. TY
philbert
I agree that a Cuban Sando was likely more appropriate but maybe he needed to do a Torta Cubana to get a local place like La Burrita or another taqueria to partner with him.
ducky23
philbert said:

Nice....but La Burrita?

I mean…where else?

Gypsy's may not be the best Italian. Steve's may not be the best Korean bbq. Top dog may not even be the best hot dog (well…it is). But these are all Berkeley institutions. Along with La burrita.
Larno
Okay, the people that sell the hot dogs outside the stadium, like on the corner right across from the I House - is there like a franchise for these? I would suspect not but I see a number of these and they are all the same and the food all looks the same. Moreover, I was watching the Christmas parade in my home town last December, a good 100 miles from Berkeley, and one of the carts came by, exactly like the ones I see at the games. I've never gotten one at Cal but I did then (actually, my sister did and I had part) and man was it good! I would definitely have another. Different from Top Dog but both can be good.
swan
Cholita Linda in Oakland on Telegraph (and now in Walnut Creek) serves an excellent Cuban sandwich, and their fish tacos are also outstanding.
calumnus
swan said:

Cholita Linda in Oakland on Telegraph (and now in Walnut Creek) serves an excellent Cuban sandwich, and their fish tacos are also outstanding.

Yes, that is more the idea, though more meat (and pricier) than I remember from South Florida. Looks good:

https://www.cholitalinda.com/items/cubano
KoreAmBear
Larno said:

Okay, the people that sell the hot dogs outside the stadium, like on the corner right across from the I House - is there like a franchise for these? I would suspect not but I see a number of these and they are all the same and the food all looks the same. Moreover, I was watching the Christmas parade in my home town last December, a good 100 miles from Berkeley, and one of the carts came by, exactly like the ones I see at the games. I've never gotten one at Cal but I did then (actually, my sister did and I had part) and man was it good! I would definitely have another. Different from Top Dog but both can be good.
It's organized, and I am sure the workers are getting screwed. I think they cost like $8 or so? They're not his makeshift get a deal type of thing anymore. A Top Dog is less than $6. I'd rather get two Top Dogs.
cal83dls79
KoreAmBear said:

Larno said:

It's organized, and I am sure the workers are getting screwed. I think they cost like $8 or so? They're not his makeshift get a deal type of thing anymore. A Top Dog is less than $6. I'd rather get two Top Dogs.
wow. I never knew this. I always assumed these guys got a cart and supplies and set up shop. This is disappointing. I'm a top dog guy myself. If I'm running late for a game I'll get one or two on Lakeshore. Same dog, but without the excitement and pressure of spitting out your order in time.
Lots of those carts at the LA Coliseum as well.
SBGold
I went to a concert on the Stanford campus last summer and they had those same bacon dog carts there as well. I was pretty stunned
Goobear
They are at USC too….
89Bear
When the LA Galaxy started at the Rose Bowl in the 90's bacon wrapped hot dogs were THE thing to get!!! Post-game tailgates were what you had to do. As someone who went to all of their home games, the post-game tailgate was often the best part of the experience. There were about 5 different soccer games one could join.
calumnus
Mexico's bacon-wrapped hotdog
https://www.vice.com/en/article/9ag8pp/how-la-destroyed-mexicos-bacon-wrapped-hot-dogs#:~:text=The%20bacon%2Dwrapped%20dog%20was,hawking%20them%20on%20the%20street.
JSC 76
calumnus said:

A Cuban sandwich must have 3 components: ham, pork, and a pickle.
Cal_79
JSC 76 said:

calumnus said:

What is the difference between ham and pork?
okaydo
Cal_79 said:

JSC 76 said:

calumnus said:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=HAM

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pork
Cal_79
okaydo said:

Cal_79 said:

JSC 76 said:

calumnus said:

We obviously frequent different sandwich shops...
Eastern Oregon Bear
okaydo said:

Cal_79 said:

JSC 76 said:

calumnus said:

After reading those, I was relieved to see how they defined pickle.
Unit2Sucks
I vote we make this the new burrito thread. It's been long enough since we had something to celebrate so let's take the easy win.

Because of the Mendoza thing, I won't trash La Burrita, but where do discerning burritotarians eat in Berkeley nowadays?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.