#9 Cal 47 #1 Navy 24 at Witter

1,088 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by cal83dls79
TomBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Rugby made an important statement today, defeating #1 ranked Navy 47-24.

The intensity of Cal's performance was at it's highest level. Both sides made bruising tackles....BRUISING tackles! Ball carriers, for both teams, ran hard, and ran into some hard tackles. When it really counted, the Cal forwards really took it to Navy, especially late in the game when Navy began to show some possible slight (and I mean slight) physical fatigue. One especially strong scrum led to Cal's final score of the day. I don't know how many lineouts Cal won or lost, but there was some really good activity by the Bears in all phases of the forward play today.

The physicality of the game was evidenced by the scary injury to Max Threlkeld of Cal. I didn't see what happened to him individually (I will watch the replay tomorrow), but Max went down in the first half, and for several minutes lay motionless on the pitch. Having observed Robert Taylor's paralyzing injury a few years back in the national championship, I think everyone in the stadium was holding their breath for a few minutes while medical teams did what was needed to be done to stabilize Max before the stretcher came out and he was wheeled off the field. The jam packed Witter was silent while we all tried to figure out what had happened and what was going on. I'm happy to say I did see Max show some movement as he was wheeled off, but I do not know the extent of his injury as of this moment. I'm just thankful to God there was movement to be seen because for what seemed like an eternity, I and those around me couldn't see any movement.

Cal runners did a good job of finding gaps in the Navy defense when they needed them. And there were a couple of particularly nice pieces of ball distribution by the Bears leading to tries. One especially sweet piece of ball distribution took place with about 18 minutes to go. Bears were working the ball to the outside when a quick pass back inside led to another Cal score. Oh, it was a great read, beautifully executed!

I can not wait to watch this one on the replay.

Some other good rugby news: The first match of the day was a reserve grade match between Cal and St. Marys. Cal won that match 73-29. And man, there was some IMPRESSIVE speed shown by Bear backs in that match.

A nice couple of other things of note: Some of Cal's championship teams were recognized in half time ceremonies. Coach Billups was also acknowledged for his 25 years of being on the Cal staff. And it was great to have the Straw Hat band on hand. They were terrific, and added to the spirit of the full house with their playing and enthusiasm. Navy brought a lot of fans as well. The Witter parking lot was plenty full with Blue and Gold from both sides!

Next Saturday Cal has another crucial match against St. Marys, this time in Moraga. Last I heard, St. Marys was ahead of #7 BYU but I've been unable to find a final score. Prior to today's match, St. Marys was ranked #3 and Cal #9. So both teams will go into next week's match with a few residual black and blue spots, and a whole lot on the line!
chalcidbear
Any idea why Cal opted to go for the penalty kick in the initial few minutes of the game? I know that in a match against a team as good as Navy that every point counts, but at that point of the game, we hadn't even tried to see if we might be able to move it the final 15 meters or so.

My only other quibble is that late in each half, we had the opportunity of keeping the ball on the ground in order to run time and preserve our lead - in the 1st half, this lead directly to Navy's first try, and in the second half, gave them several more chances to score.

I was impressed with O'Connell's conversion attempts in the 1st half - he made all three, even though they were all from near the sidelines.
TomBear

Hi Chalcid. Can't speak for Coach Clark's thinking process, but my guess is he wanted points quickly. Remember by taking the penalty kick, if it had been good, Bears would also get the ball back on the restart. It was an unfortunate miss by O'Connell. But he was terrific most of the day.

Their prep for this game was excellent. Forwards really were effective. In fact, the full phase of rugby was done well by the Bears. Some of those goal line stands were amazing.

But my big takeaway was the intensity. Bears really brought it!
82gradDLSdad
Pretty amazing that Jack Clark still has the energy and personality to inspire young men. I remember talking to him only briefly in Sproul plaza when I was at Cal in 1977? We had a mutual friend, Dupre Marshall. Jack has to be in his late 60s? Incredible. I wish he had been our football coach all these years. He was a very good offensive lineman.
TomBear

In watching my recording of the matches yesterday, there was a nice little mention of an interview Brian Hightower did with Jack before the match. He talked about how much Jack loves his job and how he views it (regarding not just making good rugby players, but good MEN). It's not insignificant that Jack has FORTY ONE years of coaching at Cal. And, not insignificantly, Tom Billups was recognized during the match for his TWENTY FIVE years of service to Cal as coaches of the rugby program. If you look up "Jack Clark Cal Rugby" on Duck Duck Go or Freespoke, you'll find some fantastic articles and videos that if you take the time to read/watch/listen will help you understand why he is such a phenomenal coach, and human being. If you take what you learn from those articles/features, you can see why Cal Rugby has been successful for so long. And when the program gets handed over to Billups, there will be no drop off at all. Billups has a servant's heart, was a great football player on a national championship team, was a great rugby player as well, and is every bit a great representative of Cal and Cal Rugby as you could ask for.

This university is incredibly blessed to have them!
chalcidbear
I feel the same about our coaches ... but I wonder about Tom Billups. Presumably he will in fact inherit the head coaching position when Clark retires, but at that point Billups might be close to reaching retirement age himself, no?
cal83dls79
82gradDLSdad said:

Pretty amazing that Jack Clark still has the energy and personality to inspire young men. I remember talking to him only briefly in Sproul plaza when I was at Cal in 1977? We had a mutual friend, Dupre Marshall. Jack has to be in his late 70s? Incredible. I wish he had been our football coach all these years. He was a very good offensive lineman.
he came to my mother in laws wake. She was a receptionist in the AD office. Mountain of a man.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.