Cal Day - Daughter Visiting - Help!

2,985 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Cal88
AUOso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My daughter is down to Berkeley and Virginia and I feel like I might be losing the battle with concerns over crime & safety, plus worried that the campus is "too urban" with not enough green space.

Her mom is taking her Tomorrow for Cal day Sat. She is as many young folk are...into "Vibe"

I am not going because I feel my ceaseless lobbying would backfire, needs more of a neutral party...thus my wife who went to university in Europe.

I booked them in to stay friday at the Faculty Club so hopefully that will resolve some the "too urban" vibes.

However, I am hopelessly outdated when it comes to your average friday night school vibe in berkeley, visiting generally on fall saturdays that end with a quick one at Freehouse/Durant (it will never be "the graduate" to me...so lame), or Raleighs (even that is disquieting in its new form after the fire) or even Jupiter.

While I feel like Raleigh's would be a solid choice I wanted to see if anyone having graduated more recently had any other suggestions .

oskiswifeshusband
When she walks around campus she'll see all the green spaces that exist. There's also that nearby park with the "hidden" waterfall.
HearstMining
  • Go up Centennial to the base of the fire trail. It's an easy walk or if pressed for time, drive up to the parking lot at the trail-head. Walk 50 yards up the trail and you feel like you're miles from a city.
  • Codornices Park a few blocks up Euclid on Northside. Honestly, just walk anywhere in the Northside area. It's quieter, prettier, still a few shops/restaurants if you want. I never understood the appeal of Southside.
  • Foothill dorms were built after I graduated, but they sure look nice on the exterior.
91Cal
Though it gets more urban closer to Shattuck, Jupiter and the restaurants on Center across from BAMPFA are hopping…unfortunately, Cancun is a shell of its pre-COVID self so definitely can't recommend a visit there. A walk up trails in Strawberry Canyon is a must for the views alone. That said, Cal Day with the spring weather has soooo many folks on campus and out and about around campus and in eateries, it's really buzzing. Good luck! And, echoing Rich Lyons…Go Bears!
Anarchistbear
AUOso said:

My daughter down to Berkeley and Virginia and I feel like I might be losing the battle with concerns over crime & safety, plus worried that the campus is "too urban" with not enough green space.

Her mom is taking her Tomorrow for Cal day Sat. She is as many young folk are...into "Vibe"

I am not going because I feel my ceaseless lobbying would backfire, needs more of a neutral party...thus my wife who went to university in Europe.

I booked them in to stay friday at the Faculty Club so hopefully that will resolve some the "too urban" vibes.

However, I am hopelessly outdated when it comes to your average friday night school vibe in berkeley, visiting generally on fall saturdays that end with a quick one at Freehouse/Durant (it will never be "the graduate" to me...so lame), or Raleighs (even that is disquieting in its new form after the fire) or even Jupiter.

While I feel like Raleigh's would be a solid choice I wanted to see if anyone having graduated more recently had any other suggestions .

Who is concerned about crime and safety? Your daughter or her parents?

If her, then she should ditch you and discover urban Berkeley with her friends since she'll be spending a lot of time there as well as green spaces

If the concern is with her parents, sequestering her to green spaces doesn't make sense to me.
BearBoarBlarney
Props to AUOso for letting his daughter make up her own mind. This is a kid intelligent enough to get accepted into Cal and UVa, so she's surely savvy enough to have a sense for whether the vibe of Berkeley or Charlottesville is more to her liking.
mbBear
AUOso said:

My daughter down to Berkeley and Virginia and I feel like I might be losing the battle with concerns over crime & safety, plus worried that the campus is "too urban" with not enough green space.

With internet in general, Face Time, Skype et. al. specifically, the world is a much smaller place.
Okay, so let's get past those cliches....how often does she expect to come home? Flying from Charlottesville? Flying from Richmond? Has she changed planes before? Not saying it's hard, but
it's a process. If she is coming home twice a year, maybe not an issue, but, as an East Coast person who travels more than the average person, I have to ask that question...

Ps: congrats on her great choices! Have them go to the Doubletree on the Bay at sunset...when I come out for a football game, staying there and seeing that view always makes the trip worthwhile, whether Cal won or lost....
AUOso
AUOso
Anarchistbear said:

AUOso said:

Quote:

Who is concerned about crime and safety? Your daughter or her parents?

If her, then she should ditch you and discover urban Berkeley with her friends since she'll be spending a lot of time there as well as green spaces

If the concern is with her parents, sequestering her to green spaces doesn't make sense to me.

100% not her parents...Its her.

After all wouldn't have posted here about trying to overcome these perceptions if I were the one concerned,

She has a good head on her shoulders and is extremely sensible.

Specifically, there is a website: niche.com that a lot of HS seniors look at where we "rank" #47 largely due to:

Housing: D-

and

Safety C- Based on crimes on campus, local area crime rates, and student reviews.

https://www.niche.com/colleges/university-of-california-berkeley/campus-life/

I can't honestly tell her that there isn't an element of truth to the ****ty safety rating and it matters somewhat to her, how much I cannot say.

All I can do is shine a light on the positives and try and assure her that if you are aware of your surroundings and are sensible that you should not have any issues.
Anarchistbear
That's good advise and if she's able to see urban Berkeley she'll come to the same conclusion
AUOso
mbBear said:

AUOso said:

With internet in general, Face Time, Skype et. al. specifically, the world is a much smaller place.
Okay, so let's get past those cliches....how often does she expect to come home? Flying from Charlottesville? Flying from Richmond? Has she changed planes before? Not saying it's hard, but
it's a process. If she is coming home twice a year, maybe not an issue, but, as an East Coast person who travels more than the average person, I have to ask that question...

Ps: congrats on her great choices! Have them go to the Doubletree on the Bay at sunset...when I come out for a football game, staying there and seeing that view always makes the trip worthwhile, whether Cal won or lost....
Still have tons of family in CA, go out all the time, its a wash on the distance, if anything she probably views the SF bay area as closer to home, she was born in SF, went to school there until 1st grade, spends summers in tahoe, I don't think that's a factor at all
Anarchistbear
I will say this- kinda tongue in cheek but not fully-
staying in the faculty club after everyone is gone is much scarier than Telegraph. It's like the Shining all these pictures, creaky old furniture…,and ghosts
AUOso
Anarchistbear said:

staying in the faculty club after everyone is gone is much scarier than Telegraph. It's like the Shining all these pictures, creaky old furniture…,and ghosts
Fair, unfortunately Hotel Durant was booked out.

its rustic and I'm trying to counter urban so counting on that as a net positive.
mbBear
AUOso said:

mbBear said:

AUOso said:

Still have tons of family in CA, go out all the time, its a wash on the distance, if anything she probably views the SF bay area as closer to home, she was born in SF, went to school there until 1st grade, spends summers in tahoe, I don't think that's a factor at all
oh, where are you located? I guess I assumed in Cali...
calumnus
AUOso said:

Anarchistbear said:

Fair, unfortunately Hotel Durant was booked out.

its rustic and I'm trying to counter urban so counting on that as a net positive.

It has a National Park hotel vibe. Beautiful building.
AUOso
mbBear said:

AUOso said:

mbBear said:

AUOso said:

Greenwich CT unfortunately
Econ141
The fact that she brought it up means it's a big concern to her. Hopefully she feels more comfortable after the visit but I feel crime in Berkeley / Oakland is bad and not getting better. Could you imagine if something, even minor like a purse snatching or getting verbally harassed, etc. happened? After stating her fear and that happening will just put everything into question again.

UVA is a great school in a nice little town with a fabulous campus. Seems like you already made your case and now you can reaffirm with her that whatever she chooses is fine with you and that UVA is also great. It will also make for a fun family football rivalry (because let's be honest, academically we are still way better )
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
01Bear
If she's concerned about safety, you can always remind her of this:

Cal was home to the Free Speech Movement, Charlottesville is home to the new breed of neo-nazis and violent white supremacists.
concernedparent
01Bear said:

Cal was home to the Free Speech Movement, Charlottesville is home to the new breed of neo-nazis and violent white supremacists.
Neo-nazis and white supremacists marched on Charlottesville because it is one of the few prominently liberal bastions of the south.
01Bear
concernedparent said:

01Bear said:

Neo-nazis and white supremacists marched on Charlottesville because it is one of the few prominently liberal bastions of the south.

Or maybe because they're comfortable there. When trying to sell Cal to OP's daughter, it might help to remind her that the Tiki torches were carried in Charlottesville, not Cal.
mbBear
AUOso said:

mbBear said:

AUOso said:

mbBear said:

AUOso said:

Greenwich CT unfortunately

Okay yeah, my point was not in Cal's favor lol..
flounder
01Bear said:

concernedparent said:

01Bear said:

Or maybe because they're comfortable there. When trying to sell Cal to OP's daughter, it might help to remind her that the Tiki torches were carried in Charlottesville, not Cal.
A Top Dog employee/white nationalist was caught up in the tiki torch riots, as was an SF guy who lived in his mom's basement by the Palace of Fine Arts.

I have spent many months in Charlottesville the past few years due to the Army's legal school being on the grounds. It is quite progressive without being over the top like Berkeley, 100x cleaner and safer, no fentanyl junkies passed out in the parks and on the street, and the community cares about and supports the school/teams. They just won the men's hoops national champ but I guess we have water polo and swimming?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017/08/15/top-dog-worker-loses-job-after-being-outed-charlottesville-protester/569487001/
01Bear
flounder said:

01Bear said:

concernedparent said:

01Bear said:

A Top Dog employee/white nationalist was caught up in the tiki torch riots, as was an SF guy who lived in his mom's basement by the Palace of Fine Arts.

I have spent many months in Charlottesville the past few years due to the Army's legal school being on the grounds. It is quite progressive without being over the top like Berkeley, 100x cleaner and safer, no fentanyl junkies passed out in the parks and on the street, and the community cares about and supports the school/teams. They just won the men's hoops national champ but I guess we have water polo and swimming?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017/08/15/top-dog-worker-loses-job-after-being-outed-charlottesville-protester/569487001/

Wait, I'm pretty sure UConn just won the men's national championship in basketball, not UVA.

But getting back to the point, AuOso's trying to persuade his daughter that Cal's safer than UVA, not that there are good (or bad) people on both sides.
flounder
01Bear said:

flounder said:

01Bear said:

concernedparent said:

01Bear said:

Wait, I'm pretty sure UConn just won the men's national championship in basketball, not UVA.

But getting back to the point, AuOso's trying to persuade his daughter that Cal's safer than UVA, not that there are good (or bad) people on both sides.
should have said "recently" lol

no way in hell berkeley/cal could be characterized as safer then cville/uva. reality is reality.
01Bear
flounder said:

01Bear said:

flounder said:

01Bear said:

concernedparent said:

01Bear said:

should have said "recently" lol

no way in hell berkeley/cal could be characterized as safer then cville/uva. reality is reality.

I've never been to Charlottesville; honestly, the only thing I know about it is that it played host to Tiki torch carrying white supremacists and neo-nazis who physically assaulted women, people of color, and others who disagreed with them. It made a lasting impression. I'd bet that Charlottesville and UVA aren't as violent and racist as all that, but that's likely the national impression of the city (and by association, the school), now.

It's like how Cal's national image is a liberal enclave with countless protesting hippies. Of course, the FSM was over fifty years ago, hippies pretty much stopped being a thing about 45 years ago, and there are plenty of conservatives in Berkeley and at Cal (including President Bush's infamous torture memo writer, John Yoo). Heck, when I was a student, the largest student organization was the College Young Republicans (or whatever it was called back then). Yet, what people think of when they hear "Berkeley" is hippie protests.

Some schools/cities are forever associated with certain things/events. Cal will forever be associated with hippie protests, Kent State with the National Guards shooting students, and Charlottesville (and by extension UVA) is associated with the violent white supremacists and neo-nazis chanting "Jews will not replace us."

All that said, AUOso isn't trying to persuade his daughter that Charlottesville is better than Berkeley. He's trying to convince her to matriculate at the latter's flagship university, not the former's. Given the younger generation tends to find white supremacy and neonazism antithetical to their general view, mentioning the Charlottesville white supremacists' rally may be a good idea. Of course, AUOso could mention that "there were good[/bad] people on both sides," but would that advance his goal?
Oski123
Swing her by: (1) Bowles Hall (Harry Potter vibe); (2) Morrison Reading Room (more Harry Potter vibe); (3) stores on College (shopping vibe); (4) Northside/Rose Garden (sophisticated vibe); (5) Gourmet Ghetto (food vibe).

A few other selling points:

1. Lots of new student housing is in the pipeline. For example, transfer student dorm opens this Fall. Adds more students close to campus; and should make it easier for everyone else to find housing.
2. Easy access to SF
3. If Southside raises safety concerns (though overall numbers of violent crimes per student population are still very low), look at Clark Kerr or Foothill; and/or get an apartment on Northside for year 2.
4. Berkeley crime maps show vast majority of crime is in south/west Berkeley -- Northside is pretty safe.
Oski123
Per random website, crime/safety incidents per 1000 students is approximately 25 at Cal and 20 at UVA -- not a major difference.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-california-berkeley/student-life/crime/chart-overall-crime.html

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-virginia-main-campus/student-life/crime/
01Bear
Oski123 said:

Swing her by: (1) Bowles Hall (Harry Potter vibe); (2) Morrison Reading Room (more Harry Potter vibe); (3) stores on College (shopping vibe); (4) Northside/Rose Garden (sophisticated vibe); (5) Gourmet Ghetto (food vibe).

1. Lots of new student housing is in the pipeline. For example, transfer student dorm opens this Fall. Adds more students close to campus; and should make it easier for everyone else to find housing.
2. Easy access to SF
3. If Southside raises safety concerns (though overall numbers of violent crimes per student population are still very low), look at Clark Kerr or Foothill; and/or get an apartment on Northside for year 2.
4. Berkeley crime maps show vast majority of crime is in south/west Berkeley -- Northside is pretty safe.

IIRC, there's also an all-women's dorm in Northside, Foothill. If AUOso's daughter does go to cal and want to avoid Southside, she could apply for Foothill (for her first year) and look for off-campus apartments north of campus after that.
Big C
Oski123 said:

2. Easy access to SF

Thank you. I don't exactly understand why posters on this thread seem to be talking down Cal. I walk "the gauntlet" down Telegraph Ave. 10+ nights per year to go to basketball games. Tons of students are always out there and none of us seem to feel endangered.

UVA is really nice, I'm sure, but c'mon: Go Bears!
oscarsBBurger
Take her to wait in line at cheeseboard. As someone part of the "younger generation" ", "the vibe" is not so much kipps and blondies, but quieter artisanal spots, cheeseboard, Bartavelle, Tipsea... North Berkeley is now kinda filled with Good Fashion and younger people, good sell.

With all that being said you can find me any night of the week slamming a pitcher of beer at kingfish or the graduate, likely followed with a smokehouse burger or topdog.
concordtom
I've given props to someone whose kid is choosing Cal or Georgetown! Gtown would be great! This Cal legacy and local went to American in DC.

My kid is between Cal, UW and CalPoly.
So I get your vibe.

I don't know UVA but I do know Virginia and the east coast. I know folks there love UVA but for me I would not consider it. What the hell is going on in Charlottesville?? Vs: what the hell is going on in The Bay Area? It's NO contest!
She's not gonna settle in Charlottesville. But she could in the Bay Area. Lots to get to know professionally and culturally.

Berkeley crime doesn't scare me. Please.

As I said, I'm in the same boat. The most important thing is to give approval and support. Can't weigh a kid down for a supposed bad choice. More important to go through life confidently!
So, whatever it is, congratulations, make it great and can't look back.

Have your wife drive kid up to grizzly peak and look out at the view. Can't get that in Charlottesville!

I've taken many non-Californians up there and they are always blown away!!

Rain tomorrow, however. Maybe a Sunday thing? Map them a hiking trail if she's thinking Berkeley is too urban. That should dispel concerns.

Who has a good Tilden trail for these guys???

https://lawrencehallofscience.org/
AUOso
Big C said:

Oski123 said:

2. Easy access to SF

Thank you. I don't exactly understand why posters on this thread seem to be talking down Cal. I walk "the gauntlet" down Telegraph Ave. 10+ nights per year to go to basketball games. Tons of students are always out there and none of us seem to feel endangered.

The problem isn't necessarily walking down Telegraph, plus based on the typical demographic profile on this site I'm guessing you are probably a dude (forgive me if that assumption is incorrect) and possibly less concerned that you might get jumped. Its more about having to be on guard when walking on campus or quieter streets at night by herself if I read her right. Honestly I think this is somewhat fixable and doesn't have to be a thing if UCPD were more present and the University dedicated more resources to the issue. at USC the USC cops intensively patrol 1 mile from campus and they seem laser focused on student safety. I'm guessing that UCPD really doesn't enforce anything outside of the UC campus and UC owned buildings, in any case there is a perception that they aren't terribly present or proactive, otherwise why would there need to be this:

https://www.safebears.org/

I'm not trying to throw UCPD under the bus here but consider from the website above:

• While the UCPD would ideally provide all of Cal's security, the reality is that they are short staffed, and building the department back to full strength after Cal's long running defunding of UCPD will take years. To put this in context, with two new officers joining in October, the UCPD now has 46 sworn officers (with one additional officer in the academy), compared with about 80 officers a decade ago. While nearly every other UC campus has increased police funding after a dip during the pandemic, Berkeley has seen fit to continue the steep cuts to UCPD's budget that began in the '19-'20 fiscal year.

Also,

I'm not going to tear down Charlottesville over a one off rally of jackass racists. Its the south after all (although a purple south) and its going to have a little hair in terms of the neighboring areas, you could say the same about Cal and Richmond/Oakland in terms of being somewhat unsafe, albeit for different reasons. In any case if you remember there were violent right wing protests in Berkeley on April 27th 2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Berkeley_protests.

The political based protest violence really isn't a concern as they are extremely infrequent and are very easily avoidable, and in the context of her choice they are nothing more than hyped sensationalist noise, its the everyday nitty gritty that is of primary concern and it makes me a little sad that we might lose brilliant kids because of this issue.

Also, sadly the weather forecast for Cal Day sat is rainy and cold

Accentuating the positive and hoping for the best but knowing she will make a decision based on what her heart speaks to her.

Go Bears and or possibly Wah-hoo-wa.
TomBear

It is really too bad the weather appears destined to be nasty. And there isn't anything you can do about the crime and filth, it is what it is.

But I do agree with ConcordTom that a trip up over Grizzly Peak will be impressive. I wouldn't stop there. Check out the little train ride that also provides some impressive views of the East Bay/Marin and then stop at the Merry Go Round. Lake Anza is right across the street, and the drive with its trees and greenery is hard to match.

I would surely focus on the area north of campus and even drive up into the hills to look at the architecture (and even more views).

As far as academic comparisons go, the only way she'll figure that piece out is to talk with students involved with her areas of interest.

And I would be sure to take her by CMS/Bowles Hall. Doesn't get much more stately and beautiful than that.
BearBoarBlarney
01Bear said:

Some schools/cities are forever associated with certain things/events. Cal will forever be associated with hippie protests, Kent State with the National Guards shooting students, and Charlottesville (and by extension UVA) is associated with the violent white supremacists and neo-nazis chanting "Jews will not replace us."

When I hear "Charlottesville, Virgnia" my only thoughts are University of Virginia and Thomas Jefferson.

When I hear "Berkeley, California" my only thoughts are University of California flagship, protests/sixties, and "How on earth did we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?"

When I hear Kent State, first thought is indeed "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming / Four dead in Oh-hi-oh."

When I think Stanford, first thought is Robber Baron, second thought, "I need to spit."
concordtom
Big C said:

Oski123 said:

2. Easy access to SF

Telegraph? A gauntlet????
PLEASE!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.