Wilner rankings

2,597 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by BarcaBear
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
flounder
mike hass, desean, maurice jones-drew, jaquizz, geoff mcarthur > leinart
UrsusTexicanus
flounder said:

But were they better than him at ballroom dancing?
WalterSobchak
Ignoring professional achievement is silly. You're not "the best" if you can't hack it in the pros.

Top 10

Rodgers
Gronk
Marshawn
Tyron Smith
McCaffrey
Goff
Ocho
Mack
DeSean
Keenan

In if just playing into 2000s is criteria
Tony G
Jonathan Ogden
Horseface
Tarik Glenn
Daddy McCaffrey

Just Outside / Still Working
Bush
Luck
Foles
Cooks
Sewell
Marv Jones
Stephen Jackson
Mercedes Lewis
MJD
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
HistoryBear
Ah yes, good old Horseface. It is weird that I know exactly who you're referring to.*

*furd quarterback in 1982.
Pittstop
okaydo said:

No Muncie? Elway? Plunkett?
sosheezy
Pittstop said:

okaydo said:

of the century (aka post 2000)
Pittstop
sosheezy said:

Pittstop said:

okaydo said:

of the century (aka post 2000)

My bad. I [mistakenly, I guess] assumed he was talking "of the last century", or "of the last 100 years."
ColoradoBear
flounder said:

I didn't see Wilner specify 'at football' anywhere in that tweet.
WalterSobchak
Gronk's gotta have him beat in this category too.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
wifeisafurd
RB Ka'Deem Carry had a great college career (twice the nation's leading rusher) and is having a good pro career, though primarily in Canada. He probably would be my number 11.

Wilner seems to have a problem with WRs, but DJ and Marqies Lee (long, but injury prone NFL career), did some insane stuff in college.
BarcaBear
No Alex Mack? 7x pro bowler
voted onto the NFL 2010's All Decade team.
Bearly Clad
Am I the only one who thinks Caleb Williams is a weird pick given that he never won the PAC-12 and only played in the conference for two years in very weak conference years (especially in the south division)?
wifeisafurd
Bearly Clad said:

Am I the only one who thinks Caleb Williams is a weird pick given that he never won the PAC-12 and only played in the conference for two years in very weak conference years (especially in the south division)?
Premature.
blungld
Bearly Clad said:

I will probably be made to look a fool, but there are a handful of college QBs that the moment I saw them play, I thought they would be solid to star QBs in the NFL: Aikman (was not sold on Peete), Rodgers, Mariota, Goff, Luck, Brees, and Jim Everett (okay that one is sorta shaky). I am sure there were others but those are the college QBs I had strong reactions to.

Caleb Williams wowed me on several plays, but for some reason I am not sold on his leadership. As I said, I am sure I will look the fool here, but I don't think he is going to be the savior everyone thinks he will be. I don't think he will be a total bust, but if I was forced to bet I don't think he will ever be the top gun in the NFL. In fact, I was more impressed by Penix.
bencgilmore
It seems like someone is coaching Caleb on leadership (with him doing things like taking his OL to dinner and buying them suits), but in the moment it's much more 'me'.

His raw talent is undeniable though and being able to throw 50 yards lasers on the run has a leadership quality all its own
WalterSobchak
No Stats, Pure WOW Factor

Best
Bush
McCaffrey
DeSean
Ocho
Marshawn
Penix
MJD
Lee
Ross

HM

Williams
Vereen
Pettis
???

wifeisafurd
bencgilmore said:

It seems like someone is coaching Caleb on leadership (with him doing things like taking his OL to dinner and buying them suits), but in the moment it's much more 'me'.

His raw talent is undeniable though and being able to throw 50 yards lasers on the run has a leadership quality all its own
Moving beyond my one word answer of premature, my view is he was the best of the 3 Pac QBs drafted on physical talent (I look at them because I didn't see the other drafted QBs play).. Major arm talent with escapability and arm strength to exploit defenses once the play breaks down. The ability to be escapable tends to diminish as you get older and face the athletes the NFL defenses bring to the table. When I look at Rodgers, Brady, Manning and other top NFL QBs, what you see is lack of consistent accuracy and recognition of defenses and match-ups. The negative remarks about Williams is he misses a lot of wide open guys when throwing from the pocket and his aggressiveness ended with turnovers. He also is pretty quick to start moving out of the pocket and that is a good way to get hurt in the NFL. All that can be improved at the next level - he has huge talent, but does lack height (so did some other great QBs). Since Wilner's list clearly is based on college and NFL production (if just based on college performance, Wilner is clueless), the inclusion of anyone just gradating is premature.

WalterSobchak
wifeisafurd said:

Since Wilner's list clearly is based on college and NFL production (if just based on college performance, Wilner is clueless), the inclusion of anyone just gradating is premature.
Wilner is (intentionally?) clueless, no argument there. But if his list includes NFL production very few would argue Rodgers is anything but #1. Gronk would have to be included, and IMO is the only one who could even have an argument of supplanting Rodgers. Also Sewell is a very nice young player but him over Smith and Mack would be even more insane. To me Bush at #1 screams college only (and hey look at me pandering for clicks while I pick a guy who's just made news for #1), but who knows.

concernedparent
Bearly Clad said:

What are you talking about? The Pac was the strongest it's ever been the past two years. 2022 had 6 teams finish ranked, 2023 had the national champion runner-up and another dark-horse playoff team. There were no divisions in those seasons.
wifeisafurd
WalterSobchak said:

wifeisafurd said:

Since Wilner's list clearly is based on college and NFL production (if just based on college performance, Wilner is clueless), the inclusion of anyone just gradating is premature.
Wilner is (intentionally?) clueless, no argument there. But if his list includes NFL production very few would argue Rodgers is anything but #1. Gronk would have to be included, and IMO is the only one who could even have an argument of supplanting Rodgers. Also Sewell is a very nice young player but him over Smith and Mack would be even more insane. To me Bush at #1 screams college only (and hey look at me pandering for clicks while I pick a guy who's just made news for #1), but who knows.
Agree. Gronk maybe not because his college career was muted by injury, and his numbers really are pretty weak. I wouldn't put Bush was number 1 either, but he would make my top 10. Stellar college career and a better NFL career than most people appreciate. Almost 10,000 all purpose yards, a Super Bowl ring, couple pro bowl years (one for special teams). He isn't Hall of Fame like Rodgers however.
Goobear
WalterSobchak said:

Best
Bush
McCaffrey
DeSean
Ocho
Marshawn
Penix
MJD
Lee
Ross

HM

Williams
Vereen
Pettis
???
Pettis was awesome. I coached him when he played soccer with my son when they were 5 and 6. Then Dante Pettis told Addison they should go play football which ended my coaching career. Addison and Dante are God Bothers as his mom is my kids God Mother. See them all the time. Great family. Go Bears!
oski003
Goobear said:

WalterSobchak said:

Best
Bush
McCaffrey
DeSean
Ocho
Marshawn
Penix
MJD
Lee
Ross

HM

Williams
Vereen
Pettis
???
Pettis was awesome. I coached him when he played soccer with my son when they were 5 and 6. Then Dante Pettis told Addison they should go play football which ended my coaching career. Addison and Dante are God Bothers as his mom is my kids God Mother. See them all the time. Great family. Go Bears!

Please tell them to stop bothering God.
BarcaBear
It's surprising how so few people see Offensive lineman as offensive players.

I hate the Hairball, but I think him using their pick, the 5h overall in the draft, for Joe Alt from Notre Dame makes sense. Hairball explained that Offensive lineman are the tip of the spear.

the fact, that O-lineman are completely left out of peoples perception of the best offensive players says a lot.

wish we had a coach that understood that a great line elevates the play of everyone around them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.