Raiders draft a TE in the 1st round......

1,725 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Rtkbear
Trumpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope he can throw the ball deep.........
concordtom
Probably better than the 49ers taking at #31 a WR who was rated #84 when they don't need a WR.
concordtom
Both picks better than the Falcons, who just signed Kirk Cousins, drafted 24 year old Michael Penix at #8 to sit for 2 years?

Cousins signed a four-year, $180 million contract. That will keep him locked into Atlanta through the 2027 NFL season.

The contract has $100 million guaranteed.
oski003
concordtom said:

Probably better than the 49ers taking at #31 a WR who was rated #84 when they don't need a WR.

Who cares about the 49ers? They haven't won a Superbowl in 30 years. My son's flag football team is more relevant than them.
concordtom
And when did the raiders last win a Super Bowl? You're in a Raiders thread.
PtownBear1
concordtom said:

Both picks better than the Falcons, who just signed Kirk Cousins, drafted 24 year old Michael Pennix at #8 to sit for 2 years?

I like this move actually. Yes, they're paying a ton for Cousins, but rookies don't take up much of the pot, and the QB position is important enough for moves like this. I also like that they reached on Penix. IMO he had been undervalued by all the experts.

Agree on the 9ers drafting Pearsall at least a full round early. 9ers are usually awful in the first round.

My guess on the big bust of this year's draft is Drake Maye though.
oski003
concordtom said:

And when did the raiders last win a Super Bowl? You're in a Raiders thread.

Then why are we talking about the whiners? Both teams are irrelevant.
MinotStateBeav
I agree, I think Penix is the best QB in the draft personally. Allowing him to sit for a few seasons usually works out great in the end.
DiabloWags
MinotStateBeav said:

I agree, I think Penix is the best QB in the draft personally. Allowing him to sit for a few seasons usually works out great in the end.

I tend to agree with that you just said.
But it usually rubs the starter the wrong way.
Just ask Aaron Rogers.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
MinotStateBeav
DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just ask Aaron Rogers.

Yeah but Green Bay I think decided to move on from Aaron, they just milked him for a few more seasons till the new guy was ready. I'll never forget how they screwed him though by not drafting capable WRs. Green Bay is weird..tbh I don't think they even care about winning super bowls. They just want to win enough to keep selling out lambeau. So make the playoffs, have a deep run every once in awhile and that's good enough.
calumnus
MinotStateBeav said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just ask Aaron Rogers.

Yeah but Green Bay I think decided to move on from Aaron, they just milked him for a few more seasons till the new guy was ready. I'll never forget how they screwed him though by not drafting capable WRs. Green Bay is weird..tbh I don't think they even care about winning super bowls. They just want to win enough to keep selling out lambeau. So make the playoffs, have a deep run every once in awhile and that's good enough.

It was almost a repeat of drafting Rodgers and having him sit behind Farve for years, except Farve gave Green Bay more reason to think he might retire sooner.
bearister
I'm just glad I got to go to Raider games in the early to mid 1970's, their Golden Age. Now….

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HearstMining
bearister said:

I'm just glad I got to go to Raider games in the early to mid 1970's, their Golden Age. Now….

Where have you gone, Fred Biletnikoff, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh . . .
wifeisafurd
MinotStateBeav said:

DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Just ask Aaron Rogers.

Never mind - someone beat to the comment
Bearly Clad
concordtom said:

Both picks better than the Falcons, who just signed Kirk Cousins, drafted 24 year old Michael Penix at #8 to sit for 2 years?

Cousins signed a four-year, $180 million contract. That will keep him locked into Atlanta through the 2027 NFL season.

The contract has $100 million guaranteed.
Cousins is essentially a two year contract. After two years it's only $5MM in dead cap to cut him. The much bigger issue is that after those two years Penix is a 26 year old who's never played a snap. The fact is that most 1st round QBs are busts and I see much higher bust potential in this class than most. JJ McCarthy is just another McCorkle Jones, I think he has the highest bust potential. But Nix, Penix, and Maye are all serious bust candidates as well.

The real issue with Penix isn't even the injury history, it's that he was a 6th year starter who had more talent on his team than his opponents and more experience than almost anyone in college football. So of course Penix looked great last year with over 50 starts under his belt and playing against 18-20 year olds.

I think he's a high-floor guy who will be a career backup but never exceptional in the NFL
Eastern Oregon Bear
concordtom said:

The draft analysis I read pointed out that Aiyuk and Jennings are free agents after next season, so the 49ers needed to draft a wide receiver to be prepared for one or both of them leaving. However, the WR they chose was a reach and probably would have been available in the second round.
SonomanA1
Brock Bowers was in middle school in Napa when the then-Oakland Raiders would hold training camp nearby.
He'd drop by to check out practice and once even got an autograph from quarterback Derek Carr.

Now Bowers is part of the Las Vegas Raiders, who selected the Georgia tight end in the first round of the NFL draft Thursday with the 13th pick.

"It's come full circle," the 2021 Napa High School graduate said late Thursday after being selected.
Pittstop
oski003 said:

concordtom said:

Who cares about the 49ers? They haven't won a Superbowl in 30 years. My son's flag football team is more relevant than them.

And the Raiders have?
Pittstop
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

concordtom said:

The draft analysis I read pointed out that Aiyuk and Jennings are free agents after next season, so the 49ers needed to draft a wide receiver to be prepared for one or both of them leaving. However, the WR they chose was a reach and probably would have been available in the second round.

A lot of folks said similar things when the Niners traded up in 2020 to grab Aiyuk with the 25th pick. Few people were familiar with his name and thought it was an egregious reach, especially because they'd passed on CeeDee Lamb. But they said [later] they always liked Aiyuk better. And I heard Lynch say the same thing yesterday about Pearsall. They always liked his entire package as a wr, and we're afraid another team was poised to grab him.
Rtkbear
Lamb was the 17th pick
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.