ACC announces early season TV times

7,477 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by 01Bear
mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
youngbear1992 said:

ColoradoBear said:

brevity said:

bearsandgiants said:

This is super helpful, but can you clarify? Are you saying that if you have access to ESPN+, you necessarily have access to ACCNX through the same platform? ie, if I am paying for ESPN+, and have the ESPN app on my Roku, I can watch this game through the ESPN app? I really hate watching stuff on my phone, and mirroring to the TV from the phone is still clunky and a bit grainy.

Yes, I think that's correct. I don't have ESPN+ (I never cut the cord and have AT&T U-Verse), but others who do have ESPN+ sound like they did exactly what you described.

Speaking more generally to Cal fans on a budget: don't feel the need to tack on an extra subscription just to get ACCNX, because you will probably not need it very much if you stick to football. Consider doing a free 7-day trial of some service like Fubo or SlingTV before the UC Davis game, and then cancel.

On the other hand, ACCNX might be worth keeping if you follow men's or women's basketball, or non-revenue sports like baseball, softball, and maybe lacrosse and volleyball.
ACCNX is only available to those who have ACC Network as part of their cable/streaming package. It is not part of ESPN+. The confusing part is that one watches both through the ESPN app, but to watch ACCNX and ACCN content, you would need your cable account log in to authenticate, while ESPN+ would be a direct subscription with ESPN/Disney.

Good news is that YouTubeTV carries ACCN, which will make it much easier for out of market fans to get the network, especially compared the pac 12 network. In market fans with comcast should have it added to their basic package in July.
Technically true that "ACCNX is only available to those who have ACC Network", but it appears ESPN+-only subscribers will get simulcasts of all ACCNX football games this season. We'll see.

That said, I plan to just subscribe to YouTubeTV for 4 months and get everything (along with my existing Peacock subscription for the exclusive B1G and ND games).

This is how I imagined it.. but I have a pretty big Xfinity package... and feel like Plus has anything that ESPN has in their distribution windows.
NCagalum
A temp of 87 with relative humidity of 75% translates to a dewpoint of 78 degrees. That would be very very unusual unless there was a tropical storm (in which case get out the life rafts). A quick check shows the average dewpoint for that time of year is about 65 degrees which is still quite unpleasant, but much better than 78. It will be a far stretch from the normally cool and dry Bay Area air - at least when the marine layer is out. It will be critical for the Bears to be in a well conditioned physical state. Davis played Tulsa in '21 (first game) in miserably hot and fairly humid conditions and won - I attribute that in part from good conditioning.
mbBear
NCagalum said:

A temp of 87 with relative humidity of 75% translates to a dewpoint of 78 degrees. That would be very very unusual unless there was a tropical storm (in which case get out the life rafts). A quick check shows the average dewpoint for that time of year is about 65 degrees which is still quite unpleasant, but much better than 78. It will be a far stretch from the normally cool and dry Bay Area air - at least when the marine layer is out. It will be critical for the Bears to be in a well conditioned physical state. Davis played Tulsa in '21 (first game) in miserably hot and fairly humid conditions and won - I attribute that in part from good conditioning.
I thought the heat index was the combination of humidity and temp? That's a whole other thing that I didn't want to get into....isn't there a difference in relative humidity vs. absolute or something like that? I'm over my skiis here...so not saying you are wrong or anything like that...
Auburn right now it's 85 degrees, feel like is 93, humidity is 76%, and the Dew Point is 73...
Source: Weather Underground.

Again, maybe it's east coast adaptation, but I will take a Dew point of 65 all day long....which is what I am sitting in right now...71 degrees, 81% humidity...

NCagalum
Yah, heat index includes both. And the issue with the high Dewpoint and temperature is that your body has a hard time cooling off because you don't evaporate much off your body (just pretty much pools on your skin). But at Dewpoint of 65 and 90 degrees (not unusual that time of year in Alabama) is a far cry from the same Dewpoint at 72. I've lived in the south (North Carolina) for 25 years and have never gotten used to the humidity - July and August are pretty insufferable. Any time you go outside and do anything you feel like taking a shower.
mbBear
NCagalum said:

Yah, heat index includes both. And the issue with the high Dewpoint and temperature is that your body has a hard time cooling off because you don't evaporate much off your body (just pretty much pools on your skin). But at Dewpoint of 65 and 90 degrees (not unusual that time of year in Alabama) is a far cry from the same Dewpoint at 72. I've lived in the south (North Carolina) for 25 years and have never gotten used to the humidity - July and August are pretty insufferable. Any time you go outside and do anything you feel like taking a shower.

I lived in Atlanta for 8 years right after Cal....6 months in Baton Rouge, which included Summer, was the worst I have been in. I know being in the Northeast is easier than what you have for sure...
Gobears49
If you go to most bars would you be able to watch most ACC games? Last season I watched a few Cal games that way. Had some fun talking to other patrons while watching the Cal game.
tequila4kapp
Comcast > ACC Network > game is listed for 2pm broadcast
TomBear

First, regarding TV coverage, for those with Sling who have the ACC Network: I watched (well, I took occasional glances) at the Cal vs. Davis soccer game over the weekend on the ACCNX channel. It worked find. Announcers were horrible, but the visual was OK for soccer coverage and the stream came in well. Not sure which package you have to have with Sling (I think I have Orange and Blue) but as long as you have the regular ACC Network you should be find for this weekend.

Second, regarding concerns about temperature/conditions for the Auburn and FSU games, fortunately almost everyone in the SEC and ACC has gotten smart and returned to natural grass surfaces. While it won't help with the humidity, it will definitely help with the overall heat since the heat won't be reflecting off of a plastic field back to the players.

There are, by the way, many "non traditional" outlets for college sports if you're willing to do a little research. Some are pretty good. Most will force you to endure an early commercial or two, and you might get buffering situations. But if you stream, my guess is you can find some alternatives with a little effort. Be careful though. I think some can infect your computer with spyware so do your research carefully.
Shocky1
Gobears49 said:

If you go to most bars would you be able to watch most ACC games? Last season I watched a few Cal games that way. Had some fun talking to other patrons while watching the Cal game.
why wouldn't you just go to the games in person, do u gotta drinking problem or something?
01Bear
TomBear said:

First, regarding TV coverage, for those with Sling who have the ACC Network: I watched (well, I took occasional glances) at the Cal vs. Davis soccer game over the weekend on the ACCNX channel. It worked find. Announcers were horrible, but the visual was OK for soccer coverage and the stream came in well. Not sure which package you have to have with Sling (I think I have Orange and Blue) but as long as you have the regular ACC Network you should be find for this weekend.

I took a look at SlingTV's website, it looks like if you subscribe to Orange and get the extra sports package, it should include ACCN. (Keep in mind, it doesn't look like you will get the ACCN with just Orange; ACCN is on the extra sports package only) In terms of sports channels, Blue seems only to have Fox Sports Net (including FS1) and the NFL Network. Orange includes ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3.

From the website, it also looks like Orange only allows streaming with one device at a time, but Blue allows streaming with 3 devices simultaneously. Also, both look like they come with 50 hours of DVR storage.

One final note, the info above may be limited solely to my region (SoCal); I'm not sure it will be the same foe the Bay Area (or anywhere else, for that matter). If someone from the Bay would be willing to look it up, that could prove to be helpful.
sycasey
Gobears49 said:

Aside from the ones on ACCNx, yes you should be able to see them. Bars will carry the ESPN channels (including ACC Network).
TomBear

Thanks 01Bear. I too am in SoCal so find having access to home Cal games to something to be very thankful for. Sling is really confusing with their packages, and in the last week their performance has been AWFUL with a lot of buffering and delays in switching from channel to channel. I'm hopeful that by signing on early and just leaving my Roku device on ACCNX, I'll have fewer (maybe even 0) problems.

Sling's pricing and offerings have been good. But I do not recommend Sling for those with more money than me.
01Bear
TomBear said:

Thanks 01Bear. I too am in SoCal so find having access to home Cal games to something to be very thankful for. Sling is really confusing with their packages, and in the last week their performance has been AWFUL with a lot of buffering and delays in switching from channel to channel. I'm hopeful that by signing on early and just leaving my Roku device on ACCNX, I'll have fewer (maybe even 0) problems.

Sling's pricing and offerings have been good. But I do not recommend Sling for those with more money than me.

I use Sling AirTV to watch over the air TV and also to watch some of the free streaming channels Sling offers. I haven't really noticed any issues with them. I'm surprised that there are problems with the paid service. I had planned to subscribe to SlingTV for the college football season. I hope there are no buffering problems during the games. *fingers crossed*
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.