ACC announces early season TV times

7,398 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by 01Bear
OskiDeLaHoya
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://theacc.com/news/2024/5/30/acc-football-game-times-and-networks-announced.aspx

UC Davis at California 5 p.m. ET / ACCNX (ACC Network Extra)
California at Auburn 3:30 p.m. ET / ESPN2
San Diego State at California 10:30 p.m. ET / ESPN
California at Wake Forest (Fri) 8 p.m. ET / ACC Network
bencgilmore
weird that they released the WF game time already but cool
OskiDeLaHoya
bencgilmore said:

It's a Friday game
golden sloth
I like that San Diego St at Cal got the national broadcast rather than the ACC network.

Cal could be on national TV (and on the major channels) in 4 of the first 5 games, with UC Davis being the only exception.

Of course, a lot of that is because after Auburn and Sdsu we have national brands in Florida State and Miami. If Cal is 2-1 and 2-2 going into Florida state and Miami respectively, I could easily see the major channels picking up those games (particularly the Florida state game).
calumnus
OskiDeLaHoya said:

https://theacc.com/news/2024/5/30/acc-football-game-times-and-networks-announced.aspx

ESPN is being smart. Cal will be playing later games on both coasts. A 2 PM start against Davis is almost ideal. A 3:30 PM kick off against Auburn is 12:30 for West Coast audiences and will be on ESPN2. Might be a bit cooler than a moon kickoff. Our game against San Diego State will be at night, is early in the season but we will be on ESPN. Our game at Wake Forrest is a Friday 8:00 PM kickoff, which is 5:00 pm on the West Coast, late enough for the West Coast to catch after work and not late for players from the Weat Coast.

All in all I am very happy with the way this is shaping up. If Cal can win more than we lose, feature Ott as a Heisman candidate, and be an interesting story, our media numbers will increase dramatically from when we were relegated to the PAC-12 Network.
brevity
OskiDeLaHoya said:

ACC fan here. Some notes about ACCNX for the UC Davis game (scheduled Saturday, August 31).

ACCNX, or ACC Network Extra, is a streaming channel, not a standard cable channel. It will probably not appear in your provider's lineup. I'm no expert on this, but I have some previous experience with ACCNX and am aware of a few ways to watch:

1. If you subscribe to a cable or similar package that includes the regular ACC Network, you should be able to watch the game on your desktop or laptop or tablet or whatever. Go to ESPN.com/watch and log in using your subscription provider credentials, then find the link to the game on the schedule of current or upcoming games that day.

2. If you have a streaming subscription to ESPN+, the directions to watch on a computing device are almost identical as above. The only difference is that there will probably a different link to the game using ESPN+.

3. You can watch the game on your smart TV by using the ESPN or WatchESPN app. Install that app on your television (or Roku or Amazon Fire stick or whatever) and use your credentials from Hulu TV or YouTube TV or Fubo or SlingTV. I don't know if cable subscribers can do this; I've never tried.

Those who are more technologically skilled than me (hint: that's likely most of you) can test it out over the summer and offer better advice. It's inevitable that the calendar hits August 31 and a handful of fans will come here and ask, "Hey, what is this ACC Network Extra?" just before kickoff, so it's good to be prepared.
sycasey
golden sloth said:

I like that San Diego St at Cal got the national broadcast rather than the ACC network.
ESPN is making use of their west coast properties to fill out the late schedule.

They have the Arizona schools filling that slot the previous two weeks (plus TCU at Stanford late on a Friday night).
BearSD
Late afternoon kickoff at Auburn probably means game time temperature in the high 80s. Temperature will be in the same range for the game in Tallahassee, unless ESPN schedules that one as a night game.
sycasey
OskiDeLaHoya said:

bencgilmore said:

It's a Friday game
I'm a little surprised it's not on regular ESPN or ESPN2, given that there won't be a lot of other games on that night. They put Rice-Memphis on ESPN2!

https://mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekly/football2024/11

Probably has something to do with how many games have to be on which network or something.
golden sloth
sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

ESPN is making use of their west coast properties to fill out the late schedule.

They have the Arizona schools filling that slot the previous two weeks (plus TCU at Stanford late on a Friday night).

Last season I paid more attention than normal to television ratings each week for college football, and one thing I learned is that the TV window matters. Simply being on ESPN or ESPN2, and on at a time for east coast viewers will add a half million viewers and improve Cal's ratings immensely. It doesn't matter if the game stinks, it will be on in the bars and the people will watch because it's on. Good ratings are important to position Cal in the best position possible for whenever the next round of realignment happens.

Usually the good games get the good tv windows but sometimes the networks guess wrong with their 12 day windows and get a bad game airing in a national timeslot. Those games usually still did pretty well.

I'm curious to see how the ratings go for games on the ACC network. I get that Cal - UC Davis will get buried (a lot of these body bag games do), so I'm not too worried about being relegated to the obscure channel. But I'm unsure about the ACC network.
Strykur
golden sloth said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

Last season I paid more attention than normal to television ratings each week for college football, and one thing I learned is that the TV window matters. Simply being on ESPN or ESPN2, and on at a time for east coast viewers will add a half million viewers and improve Cal's ratings immensely. It doesn't matter if the game stinks, it will be on in the bars and the people will watch because it's on.
Unless there is a specific game to watch on one of the primary channels (ABC, CBS, FOX), default behavior for most gameday viewers will be to throw it to ESPN/ESPN2.
OskiDeLaHoya
Once conference play starts, I'm expecting the top ACC games each week to be at 9am PT or 7:30pm PT if selected for ESPN or ABC. The 12:30pm and 3:30pm windows will be pretty much exclusively SEC games. We may get some 12:30pm or 3:30pm games on ESPN2 and the CW.
BeatTheClockBear
Thanks! Can confirm this works with Sling, which was my streaming source for getting Pac-12 Network and works for Cal in the ACC as well for those who don't have cable.
golden sloth
I have some time to kill and was doing a quick schedule comparison to the old Pac-12 brethren. Two interesting factoids arose:

1. USC, UCLA, UW and Oregon seem like they will all have games on Peacock at some point this season. I am happy we get to avoid that.

2. The four corner schools in the Big 12 all appear to have a road game the third week of the year. That's an odd scheduling quirk.
BearSD
Quote:

1. USC, UCLA, UW and Oregon seem like they will all have games on Peacock at some point this season. I am happy we get to avoid that.
Almost everyone is going to have games on some streaming service. Big Ten has Peacock, ACC has ACCNX, Big 12 has ESPN+.
sycasey
OskiDeLaHoya said:

Once conference play starts, I'm expecting the top ACC games each week to be at 9am PT or 7:30pm PT if selected for ESPN or ABC. The 12:30pm and 3:30pm windows will be pretty much exclusively SEC games. We may get some 12:30pm or 3:30pm games on ESPN2 and the CW.
I notice that the SEC has basically taken over ABC now. Last year there was at least one ACC game on ABC every week, sometimes multiple games. Right now there is only one scheduled in 2024 . . . and it's for a game vs. Tennessee.
OskiDeLaHoya
sycasey said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

I notice that the SEC has basically taken over ABC now. Last year there was at least one ACC game on ABC every week, sometimes multiple games. Right now there is only one scheduled in 2024 . . . and it's for a game vs. Tennessee.

2024 is the first year of the new SEC/ESPN contract that was signed back in 2020. The SEC's game of the week was still on CBS last season but that's no more. CBS will have a Big Ten game each week and the 12:30pm PT game on ABC will always be an SEC matchup. For some reason I thought the SEC was locked into the 4pm PT game but it's actually the 12:30pm window. I suppose that means there's a chance for ACC games to be on ABC in the late afternoon window (which is my preferred window)

https://www.secsports.com/sec-on-abc-and-espn
sycasey
OskiDeLaHoya said:

sycasey said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

2024 is the first year of the new SEC/ESPN contract that was signed back in 2020. The SEC's game of the week was still on CBS last season but that's no more. CBS will have a Big Ten game each week and the 12:30pm PT game on ABC will always be an SEC matchup. For some reason I thought the SEC was locked into the 4pm PT game but it's actually the 12:30pm window. I suppose that means there's a chance for ACC games to be on ABC in the late afternoon window (which is my preferred window)

Yup, I'm aware. No more SEC on CBS means a lot more on ABC, taking up slots that used to be for ACC games. I'm a little surprised by HOW MANY spots they are getting every week (at least in the early selections).

Anyway, it's all still better than being on Pac-12 Network.
01Bear
BearSD said:

Late afternoon kickoff at Auburn probably means game time temperature in the high 80s. Temperature will be in the same range for the game in Tallahassee, unless ESPN schedules that one as a night game.

I'm concerned about the humidity. High 80s with low humidity is bearable, but high 80s with high humidity (even down to 70%) is very uncomfortable, especially for kids used to the steadily comfortable climate in the Bay. Assuming the temperature is 87F and humidity is around 75%, that's still about 100 on the heat index. Exercising in that may not be quite unbearable, but it is extremely uncomfortable.
calumnus
sycasey said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

sycasey said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

Yup, I'm aware. No more SEC on CBS means a lot more on ABC, taking up slots that used to be for ACC games. I'm a little surprised by HOW MANY spots they are getting every week (at least in the early selections).

Anyway, it's all still better than being on Pac-12 Network.

There are a lot of teams that will be competing for daylight kickoff times on ABC/ESPN in the Central and Eastern time zones, and usually it will be the SEC that gets prime billing, but if ABC/ESPN wants to air a game after the SEC games, Cal will be one of the few choices. We just need to make our team compelling.
bearsandgiants
brevity said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

ACC fan here. Some notes about ACCNX for the UC Davis game (scheduled Saturday, August 31).

ACCNX, or ACC Network Extra, is a streaming channel, not a standard cable channel. It will probably not appear in your provider's lineup. I'm no expert on this, but I have some previous experience with ACCNX and am aware of a few ways to watch:

1. If you subscribe to a cable or similar package that includes the regular ACC Network, you should be able to watch the game on your desktop or laptop or tablet or whatever. Go to ESPN.com/watch and log in using your subscription provider credentials, then find the link to the game on the schedule of current or upcoming games that day.

2. If you have a streaming subscription to ESPN+, the directions to watch on a computing device are almost identical as above. The only difference is that there will probably a different link to the game using ESPN+.

3. You can watch the game on your smart TV by using the ESPN or WatchESPN app. Install that app on your television (or Roku or Amazon Fire stick or whatever) and use your credentials from Hulu TV or YouTube TV or Fubo or SlingTV. I don't know if cable subscribers can do this; I've never tried.

Those who are more technologically skilled than me (hint: that's likely most of you) can test it out over the summer and offer better advice. It's inevitable that the calendar hits August 31 and a handful of fans will come here and ask, "Hey, what is this ACC Network Extra?" just before kickoff, so it's good to be prepared.
This is super helpful, but can you clarify? Are you saying that if you have access to ESPN+, you necessarily have access to ACCNX through the same platform? ie, if I am paying for ESPN+, and have the ESPN app on my Roku, I can watch this game through the ESPN app? I really hate watching stuff on my phone, and mirroring to the TV from the phone is still clunky and a bit grainy.
brevity
bearsandgiants said:

This is super helpful, but can you clarify? Are you saying that if you have access to ESPN+, you necessarily have access to ACCNX through the same platform? ie, if I am paying for ESPN+, and have the ESPN app on my Roku, I can watch this game through the ESPN app? I really hate watching stuff on my phone, and mirroring to the TV from the phone is still clunky and a bit grainy.

Yes, I think that's correct. I don't have ESPN+ (I never cut the cord and have AT&T U-Verse), but others who do have ESPN+ sound like they did exactly what you described.

Speaking more generally to Cal fans on a budget: don't feel the need to tack on an extra subscription just to get ACCNX, because you will probably not need it very much if you stick to football. Consider doing a free 7-day trial of some service like Fubo or SlingTV before the UC Davis game, and then cancel.

On the other hand, ACCNX might be worth keeping if you follow men's or women's basketball, or non-revenue sports like baseball, softball, and maybe lacrosse and volleyball.
mbBear
bearsandgiants said:

brevity said:

OskiDeLaHoya said:

The other way to look at it, say it: if it's on an ESPN outlet (and we all have to remember that the ACC Network is that), then it's available on ESPN plus...
brevity
mbBear said:

]The other way to look at it, say it: if it's on an ESPN outlet (and we all have to remember that the ACC Network is that), then it's available on ESPN plus...

I don't think I've made enough posts on this board to insert an image, so:

I'm not sure...? From what little I understand, ESPN+ does not give you direct access to the ACC Network or ACC Network Extra. There may be a game (like UC Davis) that has an ACCNX link and a parallel but separate ESPN+ link.

When it comes to live sports, the limitations of streaming services -- and I have a few of them -- is one of the main reasons I still use a cable provider. Over the past season, I've learned that cord cutters don't have the same access that I do. For example, Paramount + gives you access to live sports on CBS, but not CBSSN, which is exclusive to cable and does air the occasional game where an ACC team is on the road against a nonconference opponent. Maybe not a big deal in the long run, but kind of annoying when the game is happening and you can't watch it.

I'd love to be wrong about the limitations of ESPN+, so please correct me if I am.

sycasey
brevity said:

I'm not sure...? From what little I understand, ESPN+ does not give you direct access to the ACC Network or ACC Network Extra. There may be a game (like UC Davis) that has an ACCNX link and a parallel but separate ESPN+ link.
I think this is correct. If you want access to ACCx, you need to subscribe to a provider that carries ACC Network. That means cable, satellite, or one of the streaming TV providers (Sling, Hulu Live, Fubo, YouTubeTV, etc.). Just subscribing to ESPN+ won't do it.
8tiger
Bud, the month of September is very hot in Alabama. It is very possible that the temperatures could be in the 90's at 2:30 in the afternoon for the Cal/Auburn kickoff. September 7th is still basically summertime in the deep South.
youngbear1992
sycasey said:

brevity said:

I think this is correct. If you want access to ACCx, you need to subscribe to a provider that carries ACC Network. That means cable, satellite, or one of the streaming TV providers (Sling, Hulu Live, Fubo, YouTubeTV, etc.). Just subscribing to ESPN+ won't do it.
Yes, I cut the cord and stopped subscribing to linear TV in March and just have antenna + streaming services including ESPN+. You don't get the linear channels for ESPN, ESPN2, SECN, ACCN. But you to get a lot of the second-tier sports, including most but not necessarily all of the ACCNX content. ESPN+ will also simulcast some but not all ABC sports. You just have to check ahead of time what's on ESPN+. I suspect a *lot* of Cal sports will be on ACCNX/ESPN+, and most Cal fans will want to consider a subscription for $10/mo.

BTW, I like that the ACC Football twitter feed actually says "ACCNX / ESPN+". Seems like a good place to check for TV info going forward.
mbBear
brevity said:

mbBear said:

]The other way to look at it, say it: if it's on an ESPN outlet (and we all have to remember that the ACC Network is that), then it's available on ESPN plus...

I don't think I've made enough posts on this board to insert an image, so:

When it comes to live sports, the limitations of streaming services -- and I have a few of them -- is one of the main reasons I still use a cable provider. Over the past season, I've learned that cord cutters don't have the same access that I do. For example, Paramount + gives you access to live sports on CBS, but not CBSSN, which is exclusive to cable and does air the occasional game where an ACC team is on the road against a nonconference opponent. Maybe not a big deal in the long run, but kind of annoying when the game is happening and you can't watch it.

I'd love to be wrong about the limitations of ESPN+, so please correct me if I am.

Definitely not a hill I'm going to die in, but I thought ESPN+ has everything... again, you aren't getting ESPN+ without paying more somehow, someway...
I'm still completely Comcast.... and I get to ESPN+ with one voice command...I need to double check of course..
calumnus
8tiger said:

Bud, the month of September is very hot in Alabama. It is very possible that the temperatures could be in the 90's at 2:30 in the afternoon for the Cal/Auburn kickoff. September 7th is still basically summertime in the deep South.

September 7 is still summer in the entire northern hemisphere. First day of Fall is September 22.

It is generally the hottest time of the year in Northern California too. The difference is in the Bay Area it starts to cool off in late afternoon with cooling breezes from the Bay and then can get downright chilly at night. I think that is why Cal fans are thinking a later kickoff is better than a noon kickoff. However, my guess is with the humidity in Alabama it does not cool off much even after nightfall, much less the late afternoon. So yes, heat and humidity will definitely be a factor, but at least with this kickoff we won't be playing in the full sun of midday.

Strykur
calumnus said:

8tiger said:

However, my guess is with the humidity in Alabama it does not cool off much even after nightfall, much less the late afternoon. So yes, heat and humidity will definitely be a factor, but at least with this kickoff we won't be playing in the full sun of midday.
Auburn and Georgia kicked off last year at 2:30PM and after halftime shade begins to creep onto the field, as seen in these highlights:
01Bear
8tiger said:

What's the humidity like at that time of year? Is it likely to be around 75% humidity? Higher? Lower? Hot and dry is much more bearable than hot and humid.
mbBear
01Bear said:

8tiger said:

What's the humidity like at that time of year? Is it likely to be around 75% humidity? Higher? Lower? Hot and dry is much more bearable than hot and humid.
Weather Underground is a good source for historical data if you want to play around with this, but let me throw out a few things:
-the average temp for that day is 89...from looking at the last few years, that high hits during the game.
-the Dew Point over the last few years is into the 70s for the most part. "70" is the "it's pretty humid today" number for most people (a little anecdotal from an East Coaster here). No question folks from the West, especially the Bay Area will think it's humid. "Air you can wear" as it were...
*I don't want to get too into the weeds about Dew Point vs. Humidity, but Dew Point is really the key number...the extreme example is in the winter time it can be almost 100% Humidity and very low Dew Points (meaning it's like raining or snowing.) And I don't get the science enough to give a better explanation.
*Being "a humid day" isn't a lock, maybe it ticks down just a little, but it's that time of year..."dry" as I think we would all define it, is as likely as a the remnants of a hurricane coming through, probably even less likely.
I think the main thing is that it doesn't get too much in the heads of the players...
sycasey
youngbear1992 said:

This chart does help clarify something that I'd missed earlier: the ACC actually does have two teams in games on ABC in Week 1, it's just that these are games with the SEC as the designated home team so they show up as part of their media contract. But with Clemson-Georgia and Miami-Florida on ABC . . . those are also ACC games. And in Week 2 we have another SEC-ACC game (Tennessee-NC State) with the ACC as the designated home team on ABC. That's not bad representation for the league on the broadcast network.

In Week 3 there is no ACC team on ABC (and the SEC has three games), but if you look at the slate you see that a lot of ACC teams have byes and there isn't a great matchup that should clearly go in over one of the SEC games. WV-Pitt, Miss-Wake, Memphis-FSU, and SDSU-Cal are probably the best ones and they still aren't great (and each got selected as a national game on ESPN or CW anyway).

So for future weeks there probably is more hope that the ACC will get a decent share of matchups on ABC. It looks like they are trying to fill three TV windows on ABC (9am, 12:30pm, 4:30pm PT) for most Saturdays, so that allows space.
ColoradoBear
brevity said:

bearsandgiants said:

Yes, I think that's correct. I don't have ESPN+ (I never cut the cord and have AT&T U-Verse), but others who do have ESPN+ sound like they did exactly what you described.

Speaking more generally to Cal fans on a budget: don't feel the need to tack on an extra subscription just to get ACCNX, because you will probably not need it very much if you stick to football. Consider doing a free 7-day trial of some service like Fubo or SlingTV before the UC Davis game, and then cancel.

On the other hand, ACCNX might be worth keeping if you follow men's or women's basketball, or non-revenue sports like baseball, softball, and maybe lacrosse and volleyball.
ACCNX is only available to those who have ACC Network as part of their cable/streaming package. It is not part of ESPN+. The confusing part is that one watches both through the ESPN app, but to watch ACCNX and ACCN content, you would need your cable account log in to authenticate, while ESPN+ would be a direct subscription with ESPN/Disney.

Good news is that YouTubeTV carries ACCN, which will make it much easier for out of market fans to get the network, especially compared the pac 12 network. In market fans with comcast should have it added to their basic package in July.
youngbear1992
ColoradoBear said:

brevity said:

bearsandgiants said:

ACCNX is only available to those who have ACC Network as part of their cable/streaming package. It is not part of ESPN+. The confusing part is that one watches both through the ESPN app, but to watch ACCNX and ACCN content, you would need your cable account log in to authenticate, while ESPN+ would be a direct subscription with ESPN/Disney.

Good news is that YouTubeTV carries ACCN, which will make it much easier for out of market fans to get the network, especially compared the pac 12 network. In market fans with comcast should have it added to their basic package in July.
Technically true that "ACCNX is only available to those who have ACC Network", but it appears ESPN+-only subscribers will get simulcasts of all ACCNX football games this season. We'll see.

That said, I plan to just subscribe to YouTubeTV for 4 months and get everything (along with my existing Peacock subscription for the exclusive B1G and ND games).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.